Jump to topic:

HvV Mafia: Magician Edition: DAY PHASE 01

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 8:17:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
WELCOME ONE AND ALL TO ANOTHER OF MY PATENTED...

Heroes versus Villains Mafia!
The flavour for this very special edition will be one of close proximity to my heart muscle; magicians throughout the ages!

ABOUT THE THEME:
I am a magic enthusiast from way back and a bit of an amateur magician to boot. I love sleight of hand. I love stage magic. I love the history of this fine art and it"s evolution throughout history.

This game will feature 14 of the best known names in magic, for those who know about magic. It will NOTinclude any of the following magicians: David Copperfield, Harry Houdini, Cris Angel, David Blaine. The reason is that these are probably the best known 4 magicians in the world, historically and currently. Their character claims would be far too strong. So no, they're not in it.

The 14 people who are in this game are all well-known magicians with a wealth of knowledge about them available and some individual and notable contribution to the art. There are no obscure characters about whom you won't be able to find sufficient information on the Googles.

MOD CLARIFICATIONS:
There is only one mafia group, with a roughly 30-35% minority.
There is a single flavoured survivor.
There is NO miller or any variation of this role.
There are no na"ve or paranoid investigative roles in this game.
There is no need to say "I win with the town".

RULES:
-No talking after the day phase has been OFFICIALLY ended. Repeated or overt violations will be punished.
-Copy/pasting of roles will not be permitted. Paraphrasing is certainly allowed.
-No talking about this game outside of the mod-approved threads and PMs.
-Lack of participation is what kills games so deadlines will be strictly adhered to and players may be replaced without warning.
-If you have any doubts about something is or isn't allowed, ask me FIRST.

STORY:
A mysterious time warp has gathered magicians old and new from throughout time; some of the greatest users of the fine age of prestidigitation have been gathered here for this event, so lets make this a memorable, fun game.

PLAYERS:
01. imabench
02. Danielle
03. drafterman
04. F-16_Fighting_Falcon
05. Daytonanerd
06. emospongebob527
07. socialpinko
08. johnnyboy54
09. Lordknukle
10. Chicken
11. TheAntiDoter
12. Jordan56
13. Zaradi
14. SarcasticIndeed

With 14 players, 8 votes are needed to secure a lynch.

DEADLINE:
This game will end approximately 48 hours from this post, depending on when it is possible for me to post; I will be regularly checking things with my phone so expect it to be within 3 hours of that time. If no lynch has been reached by that point, the phase will end in a no lynch.

Have fun, play unfair and go for the win.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 8:42:45 PM
Yeah, I've been out for a while. And it is great to be playing with F-16 here. I'll of with the noob rule.

VTL EmoSpongebob527
#FeeltheFreezerBern
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 8:50:42 PM
VTL Emospongebob for claim.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 8:51:56 PM
Adding to the pressure, VTL Emo for Claim.
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 10:21:41 PM
VTL Emo dude
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 10:31:36 PM
VTL Emo
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 10:32:12 PM
At 12/14/2012 9:15:19 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
Huh. Imabench is playing. Has he played before?

A while ago.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 10:56:21 PM
Lol. Guys get off of emo. Ill start pressure someone else then.

VTL imabench off of noob rule. Sorry man :)
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 10:57:59 PM
At 12/14/2012 8:17:14 PM, tvellalott wrote:

MOD CLARIFICATIONS:
There is only one mafia group, with a roughly 30-35% minority.
There is a single flavoured survivor.
There is NO miller or any variation of this role.
There are no na"ve or paranoid investigative roles in this game.
There is no need to say "I win with the town".

Wow, you just took the guess work out of so many peoples lives.....who know what they will do with them now haha

(I know I'm not in this game yet, but just wanted to give you some public praise for this. pointless spam shall be cut in half for sure this game)
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2012 11:54:28 PM
VTL Ima

Emo's at 7/8 (someone unvote already) and Ima also fits the newb rule. I support getting both of them today and then VTNL'ing. Of course that's subject to change based off of how the Dp progresses.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 12:53:47 AM
At 12/14/2012 11:54:28 PM, socialpinko wrote:
VTL Ima

Emo's at 7/8 (someone unvote already) and Ima also fits the newb rule. I support getting both of them today and then VTNL'ing. Of course that's subject to change based off of how the Dp progresses.

This. If we were feeling ambitious we could also grab TA or SA's claims since they fall nicely under it as well, but two is pretty SOP.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 1:43:50 AM
At 12/15/2012 12:53:47 AM, Zaradi wrote:
VTL Ima

This. If we were feeling ambitious we could also grab TA or SA's claims since they fall nicely under it as well, but two is pretty SOP.

And why must we always follow SOP as opposed to using the Day Phase to have lots of discussion about player's behavior? It turned out well in the last game I played and ended with a scum-lynch. Even if we end up no-lynching, the behavioral analysis will be good to draw from for night actions and future lynches.

Why do you propose adhering so strictly to SOP?
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 1:49:01 AM
At 12/15/2012 1:43:50 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 12/15/2012 12:53:47 AM, Zaradi wrote:
VTL Ima

And why must we always follow SOP as opposed to using the Day Phase to have lots of discussion about player's behavior? It turned out well in the last game I played and ended with a scum-lynch. Even if we end up no-lynching, the behavioral analysis will be good to draw from for night actions and future lynches.

Why do you propose adhering so strictly to SOP?

Getting too many claims helps mafia in a disproportionate manner as opposed to town. Not getting enough claims doesn't bring us enough out of our universal state of being uninformed. The point is to find a balance. Normal games seem to find that balance at two normal character/role claims on Dp1. That's why it's SOP, not the other way around. What do you propose?
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 2:09:17 AM
I didn't propose getting more claims. I proposed more discussion and analysis of behavior and getting claims as a last resort if you are absolutely convinced that that player needs to claim. We already wagoned emo. For instance, we can analyze the wagon to see if anyone's reactions were scummy, and then analyze those reactions and so on and so forth. I find you sticking to SOP a null-tell since you always do that. Zaradi on the other hand never showed any strong opinions about sticking to SOP so I want to know why he is arguing for such a formalized process.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 2:18:08 AM
At 12/15/2012 2:09:17 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I didn't propose getting more claims. I proposed more discussion and analysis of behavior and getting claims as a last resort if you are absolutely convinced that that player needs to claim.

I re-looked through the Dp and nothing interesting or note worthy has happened thusfar, besides Zaradi sticking to SOP and you calling him on it of course. But if you want to follow up on that you can. I don't see anything interesting about it.

We already wagoned emo. For instance, we can analyze the wagon to see if anyone's reactions were scummy, and then analyze those reactions and so on and so forth.

Problem with that starting point is that no one gave justification besides "newb rule" and stuff like that. In fact, half of those who wagoned on Emo didn't give any justification at all. I guess they thought the newb rule was obvious enough.

I find you sticking to SOP a null-tell since you always do that.

I didn't know that. I thought I was an unpredictable badarse.

Zaradi on the other hand never showed any strong opinions about sticking to SOP so I want to know why he is arguing for such a formalized process.
:
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 2:27:50 AM
At 12/15/2012 2:21:52 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Why not make something interesting or noteworthy happen now by breaking SOP?

VTL F-593 for death. I know it's not SOP but I want interesting stuff to transpire.
:
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 2:41:18 AM

Well I suppose I can play mafia with my pants on rather than off.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 2:42:49 AM
At 12/15/2012 2:41:18 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

Well, that is not what I mean. In the beginner game, the Day 1 lynch happenned on scum because we had a lot of discussion. I want to create a similar environment and am looking for ways to do it comparable to a random voting stage on mafiascum.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 2:45:50 AM

How so? The only discussion I feel like I would be able to generate without any claims would have to be contrived. I suppose we could argue the merits of holding to or breaking SOP, but that will likely be frowned upon.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 2:48:55 AM
At 12/15/2012 2:42:49 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
At 12/15/2012 2:41:18 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:

Well, that is not what I mean. In the beginner game, the Day 1 lynch happenned on scum because we had a lot of discussion. I want to create a similar environment and am looking for ways to do it comparable to a random voting stage on mafiascum.

Okay I see your point. And having played in that game, I understand the value of it. But DP1 discussions usually only arise because someone slipped or someone character claimed.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 2:57:27 AM
F-16, as much as a meta-debate over the merits of SOP and adherence to it being beneficial or not to town, I'm just not feeling it.

I've always been a proponent for SOP. The only times I have gone against SOP is when there was clear reason that we shouldn't be considering SOP for either a scum-slip or a mod mechanic or something else (the nearest game I can think about is Slaves of Time, when SOP was kind of thrown out the window for the first part of the game). The only reason you've never seen me really take a stand on it is because someone always gets to it first (as Spinko beat me to it here as well).

If you'd like to discuss further in order to "analyze behavior" further before we end the day, go for it. I'll be asleep for a good part of it (since it's 3AM here and I'm about to pass out), but you're free to talk to yourself here for a while.

Johnny was right. If you want something interesting to happen DP1, put your pants on instead of playing with them off.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 4:23:23 AM
HOCUS POCUS, ITS A VOTE COUNT!

emospongebob527 @ [7/8] - F-16_Fighting_Falcon, Daytonanerd, TheAntiDoter, Chicken, drafterman, Lordknukle, imabench
imabench @ [2/8] - Zaradi, socialpinko
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 8:28:40 AM
My $.02 on the "noob rule" since it's DP1 and I don't have anything much else to add...

I came up with the n00b rule years ago, and I never meant for it to become SOP - people just sort of picked up on it. Instead, it was my own personal strategy. On DP1 we really have nothing to go by, but had all agreed (based on many back and forth discussions) that having SOME information going into the NP would be helpful. So, who to pressure? I would always go after n00bs instead of relying on a random number generator and people asked why. I explained that because n00bs tended to be bad players (not understand certain rules or reasoning), throughout the game it would be hard to figure out if they were stupid, playing dumb, or genuinely just new and clueless. Noobs were harder to read so I went after them as opposed to allowing the RNG pick someone who I might have an easier time reading later on in the game.

...But I also have other strategies. There shouldn't be a SOP; a good player should be able to adapt and have certain tricks up their sleeves (magician pun intended). Eventually the mods realized that by giving a n00b a mafia role, you risk outing a mafioso more likely than not on DP1. So you also have to be able to read mods (IMO) as well as players-- at least that's certainly helped me a lot. I can't see the mod giving such a blatant target like emo a mafia role just because of the likelihood that he would be pressured on DP1.

Now, does that mean we should automatically go for an experienced player? Not necessarily, but I'll keep certain things in mind. For instance, I'm town, so I would imagine that at LEAST 1 of the other more experienced players is in the mafia. My first thought would be F-16, but I'm not going to jump to that conclusion right away and pressure him. I'd rather go for someone kind of in between at this point, but I haven't played mafia in SO LONG and almost all of you are complete strangers to me. You'd all fit the n00b rule in my book. I didn't realize imabench was new to mafia. If my vote mattered, I'd probably vote for him, but it seems to be obvious that everyone wants emo to claim something so I won't hammer nor will I put unnecessary random pressure on anyone else in the meantime. I don't see the point of imabench having 3/8 votes unless we expect him to claim, which isn't likely until he gets ~6 votes or something and emo seems to be the one people wanna pressure for now.
President of DDO
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2012 8:33:38 AM
At 12/15/2012 8:29:32 AM, Danielle wrote:
Ps. Am I the only one who thinks it's annoying that 20+ posts show per page in the forums? I miss 20.

When was it 20? It used to be 10. Scum slip. Off with her head!
: