Mafia Activity Rate Differences

ishallannoyyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2012 2:09:18 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Just a little observation I have here.

Budda's game has just ended, and quite frankly there was little to no activity nearing the end with only around 40 posts. It was a real shame because inactivity really sucks for mods. I've noticed that after the first two DP's, activity tanks.

On the flip side, Danielle's Philosopher's Mafia DP1 had a whopping 14 pages, over 330 posts worth of activity. Same for the Tuf's Christmas DP1 Mafia with 9 pages, around 260 posts worth. Budda's DP1 only had around 70 posts.

Could this difference be a result of the player composition? Both Danielle and Tuf's games had 20 players. My own Harry Potter Mafia had 15 players and had 200 or so posts DP1. More people will equal more posts, and thus more activity. However, you could say the same with fewer people if the people that are in your game post a lot and consistently active e.g. Drafter, F-16 etc.

Or is the inactivity a result of the time? It's the holdiays, so many people don't have school or work (right?), but they are on vacation and have family stuff going on.

OR am I just seeing connections when there are no connections and the inactivity is a result of just a lack of interest? Anybody have any thoughts they want to post?
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2012 3:04:05 PM
I personally think it has to do with the mod. I used to constantly message people for night actions and provide activity incentives to get people to be more active. I don't really have to do that anymore thankfully. But Danielle is a popular mafia player, and she is known to play extremely well. People probably get excited for her games because she is experienced, and her past games have been pretty fun. I do have to say though that the activity level is starting to rise. When I left I could tell it was decreasing drastically.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2012 3:41:57 PM
Player composition definitely has something to do with it. It's normally possible to ensure decent activity rates through good player composition. This composition depends partially on the available pool of players, which has improved markedly in the past few weeks.

Moderators also have influence as well. Some moderators are better, more respected players, or are known as excellent moderators. Often a game does well due to subtle touches; somehow the interest is kept going and a flurry of activity ensues. This is somewhat random though, and to sum up this (brief) post I'll compare 2 of my games - Death in Mystere (my first game) and A Not So Quaint Town (my most recent game) .

Death in Mystere was an extremely successful game. I got a number of the best players together, many who hadn't been playing for awhile - that was my 'influence' and reputation speaking (on a sidenote, my next game had arguably the strongest line-up of DDO Mafia players ever) . Activity was high, and of a good quality, a distinguishing feature between good and bad players. This was due to never before seen roles, like the head inspector and inquisitor roles and the subsequent game design, as well as 'subtle touches' - long, meaningful OPs, story laced into role PMs and a random occurrence of sorts, helped along by me - there was a mass character claim DP 1. Problem? People claimed things like 'Detective Enriquez' en masse ; names were similar to characters. Those things, and many others, made it a brilliant game.

A Not So Quaint Town was probably as well balanced as Death in Mystere (both are my best balanced) . However, player composition was at it's very worst. I still managed to bring some players out of a hiatus, and re-engaged some even if they didn't play, yet it wasn't enough to match previous games, even though it was a cut above other games of the time. Worse players meant things just didn't 'click' . I got an average of 200 posts a DP, but it was often drivel, and 1 critical DP had only 93 posts.

There's a variety of factors. I predict that by February we will have pretty good activity rates, which is coincidentally when my next game starts.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2012 3:52:30 PM
Generally aims to take out the most active players. They are the biggest threat to the mafia. Thus, by the time the game reaches its conclusion, they can afford to engage in all sorts of questionable behavior without any player being any the wiser.