Jump to topic:

STEAMPUNK MAFIA - Day Phase One

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 7:02:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
In the back alleys of Industria there was little activity; No movement save for a single individual: Henry Wellston. Beneath the flickering flame of the street lamp he crouched next to a machine, making adjustments. The machine was best described as a jumble of pipes precariously balanced on two wheels. A single metal spur prevented the contraption from falling over completely. Henry hummed a tune to himself as he adjusted knobs, tighted bolts, and tapped gauges. After a few minutes, he stood.

He was clad in all leather, including an aviator's cap and protective goggles. The lower portion of his face was visible, and his perturbed expression added to the copious wrinkles already present. Henry Wellston, the founder of one of Industria's oldest companies, was a man whos activity belied his age of 93. Long-since retired, he nevertheless kept active.

He pondered the device before him, and rubbed his chin thoughtfully. After a few moments of silence, he gave a swift kick to the hind quarters of the machine, sending a sonorous tone echoing down the hallway. After a few more seconds of silence, the machine let out a long metalic groan, followed by the familiar hiss of steam-powered pistons beginning to do their thing.

Henry grinned as the rotary sounds began to pick up in pace, the machine clunking and shuttering with each cycle. He reached down and picked up a horse's saddle and set it atop the device and straddled it as one would the steed it was meant for. He tightly gripped a pair of handholds and with the heel of his boot he kicked at the metal spur, causing it to fold up inside the machine. Before it could tip over, he gave the handle grips a squeeze and, with a sudden jolt, the machine sped off into the night.

Henry's face was one of childish glee as his machine carried him down the lesser used streets of industria. Occasionally, he would pass by someone, but was moving so fast that they could hardly tell what had just passed them by. However, his joyful ride lasted but only a few minutes before the machine unexpected shut off, gradually puttering to a stop.

Henry frowned as he hopped of the machine, looking down at it disappointedly.

"That was barely 3,000 yards. I was hoping for at least 5,000 on a maiden voyage. Guess I have some tweaking to do."

He began to walk the device back down the street he came. After a few minutes, the silence was broken by the return of operating machinery. Henry stopped and looked down at this machine, puzzled, then realized the noises weren't coming from his machine.

"What? What is that?"

The noises got louder. Henry could make out the 'tick-tick-tick' of some sort of winding mechanisms, and the distinct 'whir' of the potential winding energy being released to produce some sort of locomotion. He could also tell that it was coming behind him. He turned around and waited to see what approached.

tick-tick-tick-whirrr

He could make out the silhouette of a man in the distance.

"Hello?"

tick-tick-tick-whirrr

The shadowed man approached him.

Henry smiled nervously, but congenially.

"I'm sorry if the noise of my machine woke you, good sir. I thought these were mostly factory and office buildings, closed. I'd never had tried it out if I thought I would be bothering anyone."

tick-tick-tick-whirrr

The pace of the man had quickened. There were fewer lights in this section of town, but Henry could occasionally glimpse the shine and gleen of brass. He frowned and began pushing his device back down the street.

"Again, I'm sorry of I bothered you. As you can see, it is no longer functioning and I was just on my way back home."

tick-tick-tick-whirrr

The man was ten feet from Henry when he stopped. With a lound "thong" sound the man broke into an inhumanly fast run. The last thing Henry saw was the distinct glint of a blade.

--- THE NEXT MORNING ---

"Extree, extree, read alboudit!"

INVENTOR EXTRAORDINAIRE HENRY WELLSTON FOUND DEAD! NEW MACHINE TO BLAME!

Last night at approximately 11:00 PM, the body Henry Wellston was discovered in the office sector of Industria. He was located next to the remains of a machine of unknown origin. While the police are reluctant to give out any information, what they have said so far suggests that it was a vehicle of some sort, and Mr. Wellston died during an experimental test of its capabilities.

Henry Wellston is famous for founding "Ye Olde Steam Shop," originally a blacksmith that specialized in machine parts. It eventually grew to become the foremost supplier of machines themselves, and is the parent company of today's Mechanique and Steamworks Incorporated. Wellston was a beloved figure, personally responsible for many of the inventions that make life in Industria the pride of the country, if not the world. The mayor has already called for a holiday in his honor.

=== GAME RULES ===
1. No cutting and pasting information from your PM into public game threads.
2. No discussing this game outside of public game threads or officially created PMs.
3. Day and Night Phase limits are 48 hours and will be strictly enforced. Day Phases will operate under plurality lynching rules. Failure to submit night actions will result in forfeiture of your action. Lack of adequate participation will result in replacement.

=== GAME NOTES ===
1. The theme of this game is "Steampunk." Steampunk is a genre of fiction, and encompasses any number of works. This game does not reference or include aspects of anything specific! Everything in this game was designed and created by me. Any similarity to any other works is purely coincidental. "Steampunk" is merely the theme/style I have chosen to adhere to. It is flavoring.

2. Roles and affiliations were determined randomly.

3. This game makes heavy use of the concept of items. Items are objects held by individual players. Items grant players additional abilities. These abilities can be used above and beyond any native abilities you have. Items may grant active or passive abilities. You may only benefit from one active ability item per night, but may benefit from any number of passive abilities. Of course, if you have any questions, please let me know (via your role PM).

====
Living Players
1. DetectableNinja
2. RoyalPaladin
3. Buddamoose
4. TV
5. IFLY
6. F-16
7. FourTrouble
8. Social
9. TUF
10. Chicken
11. Lannan
12. Grey
13. Daytonanerd
14. Bull_Diesel
15. TheAntiDoter
16. Sarcastic

With 16 players, it takes 9 votes to lynch. This Day Phase will end no later than 7PM DDO Time on 1/22.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 7:05:39 PM
Living Players
1. DetectableNinja
2. RoyalPaladin
3. Buddamoose
4. TV
5. IFLY
6. F-16
7. FourTrouble
8. Noumena
9. TUF
10. Chicken
11. Lannan
12. Grey
13. Daytonanerd
14. Bull_Diesel
15. TheAntiDoter
16. Sarcastic
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 7:07:07 PM
VTL lannan for pressure for three reasons.

1. Noob rule

2. Inactive rule

3. Lannan pretty much gives away the fact that he's Mafia whenever he's Mafia, and he might even give up the names of his entire team as he did in Kyro's game.
Bull_Diesel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 7:21:00 PM
I get trying to get a claim or two day 1 but i'm not sure I understand royal's motivation.

If something that happened in another game is in itself a reason to lynch somebody, maybe we should lynch Royal for getting me lynched in christmas mafia for basically no reason :)

I don't mind pressuring Lannan, but I don't know him, you guys will have to keep me posted on his play style.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 7:22:34 PM
Those of you who are like me, and don't know what steam punk is, I looked it up, and this is what wikipedia says:

"Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction that typically features steam-powered machinery,[1] especially in a setting inspired by industrialized Western civilization during the 19th century. Therefore, steampunk works are often set in an alternative history of the 19th century's British Victorian era or American "Wild West", in a post-apocalyptic future during which steam power has regained mainstream use, or in a fantasy world that similarly employs steam power. Steampunk perhaps most recognizably features anachronistic technologies or retro-futuristic inventions as people in the 19th century might have envisioned them, and is likewise rooted in the era's perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, and art. Such technology may include fictional machines like those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or the modern authors Philip Pullman, Scott Westerfeld, and China Mieville. Other examples of steampunk contain alternate history-style presentations of such technology as lighter-than-air airships, analog computers, or such digital mechanical computers as Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace's Analytical Engine."

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Also judging from the OP, it seems that Machines are going to be villains in this game (or such was the machine in the story above).
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 7:24:47 PM
Lannan is a fine target.

@ Bulldiesel, I think what Royal was referring to was that as a less competent player, putting Lannan in the spotlight will likely make him slip up and harm his team if he is mafia. The example was from ages ago and I don't think it will occur but that is the basic concept behind pressuring newer players. Also, many experienced players (I know I do) often craft fake-claims before the game begins and brainstorm the different possibilities of fake-claiming. A newer player is less likely to do this and is therefore easier to catch if they are mafia.

VTL Lannan
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 7:27:47 PM
I'll VTL Lannan for dat pressure.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
Bull_Diesel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 7:28:30 PM
At 1/20/2013 7:22:34 PM, TUF wrote:
Those of you who are like me, and don't know what steam punk is, I looked it up, and this is what wikipedia says:

"Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction that typically features steam-powered machinery,[1] especially in a setting inspired by industrialized Western civilization during the 19th century. Therefore, steampunk works are often set in an alternative history of the 19th century's British Victorian era or American "Wild West", in a post-apocalyptic future during which steam power has regained mainstream use, or in a fantasy world that similarly employs steam power. Steampunk perhaps most recognizably features anachronistic technologies or retro-futuristic inventions as people in the 19th century might have envisioned them, and is likewise rooted in the era's perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, and art. Such technology may include fictional machines like those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or the modern authors Philip Pullman, Scott Westerfeld, and China Mieville. Other examples of steampunk contain alternate history-style presentations of such technology as lighter-than-air airships, analog computers, or such digital mechanical computers as Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace's Analytical Engine."

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Also judging from the OP, it seems that Machines are going to be villains in this game (or such was the machine in the story above).

I'm not sure if that's safe to assume yet. I don't have a deep knowledge of Steampunk but I have known about it for some time and I think it's much more likely that there will be a lot of machines incorporated into players' characters. I think when you see SteamPunk clubs in TV shows or things people usually have cool machine-add-ons attached to themselves.

Like robotic arms and steam goggles and stuff.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 7:28:50 PM
At 1/20/2013 7:26:16 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
VTL royal

Wut.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 7:30:21 PM
At 1/20/2013 7:21:00 PM, Bull_Diesel wrote:
I get trying to get a claim or two day 1 but i'm not sure I understand royal's motivation.

If something that happened in another game is in itself a reason to lynch somebody, maybe we should lynch Royal for getting me lynched in christmas mafia for basically no reason :)

Lannan is a shatty player. So pressuring him early might force him to scum slip or give up other useful information.

I don't mind pressuring Lannan, but I don't know him, you guys will have to keep me posted on his play style.

The point isn't to lynch it's to get a claim.

VTL Lannan.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 7:34:08 PM
At 1/20/2013 7:21:00 PM, Bull_Diesel wrote:

While I agree with you that targetting players for actions made in other games is messed up, I have to dis-agree with the aspect that if someone has a tendency to mess up, or has before, that it isn't wise to target them in this game.

In Ninja mafia, lannan literally gave up his entire team, just because Royalpaladin asked him to lol.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 7:36:32 PM
How long ago was this Ninja game? If it was more than a couple months ago (I'm pretty sure it was), then there is no reason to continue punishing the poor fvck.

The logic you are using is fvcked, too. So Lannan gave himself away as mafia? Big deal. I think every player here has slipped as mafia at some point. Not even little slips, big slips.

Royal, on the other hand, is CONSISTENTLY anti-town... as town. That's who we need to be pressuring.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 7:38:09 PM
I accidentally deleted my roll since it was a long time ago and it didn't seem like drafted would get the game running. You might call this scetchy, but I'm a doctor and I win with town. Ill see if drafted will resend my roll so I get my charicter. Sorry for the inactivity I'm watchin rossario and vampire.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 7:43:52 PM
At 1/20/2013 7:38:17 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
TUF, why did you explicitly ask Lannan for his role? I thought we got character claims first?

He wanted character but all I can give is role until drafter comes back online

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 7:44:11 PM
At 1/20/2013 7:38:17 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
TUF, why did you explicitly ask Lannan for his role? I thought we got character claims first?

Unvote.

Because character names are made up, and won't help us any.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 7:46:10 PM
At 1/20/2013 7:36:32 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
How long ago was this Ninja game? If it was more than a couple months ago (I'm pretty sure it was), then there is no reason to continue punishing the poor fvck.

The logic you are using is fvcked, too. So Lannan gave himself away as mafia? Big deal. I think every player here has slipped as mafia at some point. Not even little slips, big slips.

Again, I agree that punishing him for another game is messed up. All I am saying is if he is likely to fvck up, hell yeah I am going to vote him. If he is mafia, he could accidentally claim his role or something.

Royal, on the other hand, is CONSISTENTLY anti-town... as town. That's who we need to be pressuring.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 7:50:27 PM
VTL bull diesal
sorry for the itallics my kendel is acting up.

Bull_Diesel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 7:53:42 PM
At 1/20/2013 7:50:27 PM, lannan13 wrote:
VTL bull diesal
sorry for the itallics my kendel is acting up.

your kendel sucks at spelling Diesel too.

I'm bodyguard. I'll jump on doctor.somebody watch me tonight i'll protect him.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 7:54:24 PM
Unvote, VTL BullDeisel, for pressure again. However, after him, I strongly recommend an NL.

Bull_Diesel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 7:54:32 PM
VTL Royal, I completely agree with FT or whoever wrote that about him screwing town as town. did it in the game I played with him
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 7:55:02 PM
Seeing as how we got the claim while I was posting...

Unvote.

VTNL.

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 7:57:02 PM
Unvote VTL Royal.

After royal I say we VTNL.

By the way, I am kind of sketchy on the double protective roles, in such a relatively small game. Also bodyguard is a common fake claim. But I guess it's to early to make a determination.