Jump to topic:

Anybody have any tips on how to play Chess

johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2013 12:57:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have a basic knowledge of the game but I was just wondering if there are any tips people could share with me so I can improve my game.?

I'm a reborn fan and am finding the game very satisfying.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2013 4:36:39 PM
same, I move the hourse first inward. then move the two pawns between them two space forward then move teh bishops behind the pawns then let the game play out.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 7:47:10 AM
At 1/22/2013 12:57:15 PM, johnlubba wrote:
I have a basic knowledge of the game but I was just wondering if there are any tips people could share with me so I can improve my game.?

I'm a reborn fan and am finding the game very satisfying.

PM if you are still interested in improving. I've been playing chess rather competitively for about 5 years now and might be able to shed some light to you.
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 10:46:44 PM
If your side of the board looks like it's well-defended it probably is.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
The_Chaos_Heart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 11:02:01 PM
Focus on improving your beginning game. That should be your primary goal. Get a good starting position, and play smart throughout, and everything will follow through.

Personally, I like to play Black. Gives me a chance to see what my opponent is planning.

Try and get your Knights out as fast as possible, and never, EVER move them to the edge of the board. Knights are powerful beginning and mid-game tools, but they are useless on the egde of the board, do to their movement.

Try and keep your Bishops alive as long as possible. Having two bishops during the end-game is invaluable.

Protect your queen, but don't be worried about losing her. Most queens don't have much opportunity to do things in a good game, are are merely "exchanged" to take out the other queen.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2013 11:46:13 PM
At 1/25/2013 11:02:01 PM, The_Chaos_Heart wrote:
Focus on improving your beginning game. That should be your primary goal. Get a good starting position, and play smart throughout, and everything will follow through.

Personally, I like to play Black. Gives me a chance to see what my opponent is planning.

Try and get your Knights out as fast as possible, and never, EVER move them to the edge of the board. Knights are powerful beginning and mid-game tools, but they are useless on the egde of the board, do to their movement.

Try and keep your Bishops alive as long as possible. Having two bishops during the end-game is invaluable.

Protect your queen, but don't be worried about losing her. Most queens don't have much opportunity to do things in a good game, are are merely "exchanged" to take out the other queen.

For me, having my rooks towards the endgame works a lot better.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 3:57:19 AM
Efficiency
Being able to break your opening position and control the board in as few moves as possible is usually what sets you up to win. Imagine playing a chess game where for everyone 1 move your opponent gets 2 moves... That's rather hard to compete with. Getting free moves is what you want. This can be done by stalling your opponents movements via harassing their king, major pieces or by threatening their positioning. If you can move a bishop to check their king, they will take at least 1 move to recover from that. You can then make your next move, except you have a bishop in that good position, plus the move you are about to make. This is effectively a free move, being able to put your bishop out there uncontested.

Speed
Your opponent will most likely start his attack the moment the game begins. But then, so will you. If his attack takes 7 moves to instigate, and your attack takes 6 moves, his attack will fail and will have to be called off in order to respond to your attack. Your opponent has therefore wasted 7 moves, whereas you have put 6 moves to good use. If you can do what you opponent is doing faster than he is, you will find that you are effectively making more moves than your opponent. Not literally, but the equivalent of.

Position
Mix speed and efficiency together and then add positioning. If you can deploy the positions you want to develop your strategy for the game, you will be that much harder to defeat. The whole point of positions is to save moves. For example, having 2 knights deployed near the centre of the board in the opening game means you can move them to respond to the enemy at any time, vs having to deploy them after the enemy has started attacking. The moves that you save can be used further developing your pieces, in turn making it harder for you to lose.

Strategy vs Tactics
Rely on Strategy in Chess, never Tactics. Strategy is overall game plans, tactics are methods. If you work towards your eventual goal to punch a hole in the enemies pawn chain, you will find that you can work to incorporate tactics to help you get what you want. This is much preferably than attempting to manipulate the board to allow you to play your favourite tactics, which is unreliable and weak.

Ploys
Are usually useless unless you can hide them really well or your opponent is a newb. Fake attacks that hide real attacks can be devastating, but usually take time to set up. That's time that your opponent might not be willing to give you, unless you have the extra moves on your hand. Lining up rooks and queen on a file to disguise a bishop-queen assault are commonly used ploys that people fall for. Even if the opponent sees through it, they usually have to prepare for both attacks, which can cause headaches for them if you make your attacks as ambiguous as possible.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...