Jump to topic:

Mafia concept: Duel

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 1:02:36 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
On mafiascum, there is a concept of duelling.

Essentially, at any one point during the day phase, a player chooses to "duel" another player. When that happens, the vote count is reset and only one of the two players may be lynched. When challenged to a duel, the challenged player does not have the opportunity to decline.

Once the duel is over and one of the players is dead, the vote count is reset again and the day proceeds as normal.

Do you think this concept is something that will work on DDO? I might implement it in my next game but might not if it seems too complicated but it seems fairly simple though.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 1:50:33 AM
At 2/6/2013 1:02:36 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
On mafiascum, there is a concept of duelling.

Essentially, at any one point during the day phase, a player chooses to "duel" another player. When that happens, the vote count is reset and only one of the two players may be lynched. When challenged to a duel, the challenged player does not have the opportunity to decline.

Once the duel is over and one of the players is dead, the vote count is reset again and the day proceeds as normal.

Do you think this concept is something that will work on DDO? I might implement it in my next game but might not if it seems too complicated but it seems fairly simple though.

Sounds fun. Game over DP1!
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 3:52:02 AM
The idea is interesting, but I don't like the fact that one can't refuse a challenge. The Mafia is forced to deal with town having 2 potential kills in one day; that effectively doubles their power. Sure, the Mafia can utilise the duel mechanic as well, but you'd only instigate a duel if you were perceived as town by a significant margin... which is something the town generally is seen as more than the Mafia,

I think the concept can work, but it has to be smartly incorporated into game design - the moderator must balance for potential pro-town aspects of duelling, depending upon the game set-up in question.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 4:31:37 AM
At 2/6/2013 3:52:02 AM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
The idea is interesting, but I don't like the fact that one can't refuse a challenge. The Mafia is forced to deal with town having 2 potential kills in one day; that effectively doubles their power. Sure, the Mafia can utilise the duel mechanic as well, but you'd only instigate a duel if you were perceived as town by a significant margin... which is something the town generally is seen as more than the Mafia,

I think the concept can work, but it has to be smartly incorporated into game design - the moderator must balance for potential pro-town aspects of duelling, depending upon the game set-up in question.

This is exactly why I wanted to do it. I was thinking about potentially making the mafia dominant during the night while using this mechanic to tilt the scales back to the middle.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 4:34:27 AM
You must do a Wild West themed game with this mechanic.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 4:36:37 AM
At 2/6/2013 4:34:27 AM, tvellalott wrote:
You must do a Wild West themed game with this mechanic.

Actually, on mafiascum, it is called High Noon, hence the "duel" mechanic. In my themed version, I'll probably call it "dogfight" or whatever the Oceanic/Naval term for it is. My theme is going to be Oceanic Warfare/Naval Warfare. Can't decide yet which one sounds better.
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 7:32:39 AM
WELL ****.

I might have been using that concept for my game...
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 9:14:53 AM
At 2/6/2013 7:32:39 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:
WELL ****.

Well, not a game based on that concept, but a role perchance....
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
thedebatekid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2013 11:13:46 AM
At 2/6/2013 9:14:53 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:
At 2/6/2013 7:32:39 AM, TheAntidoter wrote:
WELL ****.

Well, not a game based on that concept, but a role perchance....

Good idea.
How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of the tootsie pop? 1, 2, 3, *crunch* SON OF A !@#%!@#$!@$%$^^$$#%!!!

Expanse: Trapped in Reality
- Looking for Criticism
http://www.debate.org...
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/8/2013 8:55:53 PM
Royal did something similar to this, in her yu-gi-oh 5D's game, though that took place at night.

Anyways, I agree with logic, I don't like it.

IT would would activity of the game, make it go by too much faster with unnecesary death, and it's would reduce the quality of the game. Maybe if it was like one players role, and he could only do it once during the game, then sure. But not any player, every day. That's too much mass death, which would detract from the fun of the game.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227