BEGINNERS 13.1 - Day Phase 1

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2013 9:23:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Introduction to Mafia:
Mafia is a game of strategy and behavioral analysis that pits an uninformed majority (The Town) against an informed minority (The Mafia). All members of the Mafia know who they are and - by process of elimination - know who the members of the Town are. The members of the mafia have their own private, shared PM, where they can coordinate and discuss strategies. However, no member of the Town is given information about any other player; they must figure that out through the course of the game.

The game is divided into Day Phases and Night Phases. Each Day Phase will be conducted in a public thread created by me. I will start each Day Phase with a summary of actions performed the previous Night (excepting the first Day Phase), a list of living and dead players, and other rules and notes. The Day Phase is used by all players for open deliberation and is the only normal mechanism by which members of the Town can communicate with each other. It is the primary vehicle by which the members of the Town can eliminate their opposition: The Mafia. However, the Mafia are part of this deliberation, and will try to disrupt or derail the plans of the Town, though in a way as not to reveal their affiliation.

During the Day Phase, each player may case a vote to lynch another player. The format is VTL Player Name. Unbolded votes do not count. To remove your vote from a player, you can simply Unvote. Alternatively, you may vote that no player be lynched that day by voting to no lynch, or VTNL. If a majority of the living players vote to have another player lynched, or vote that no one should be lynched, the Day Phase will end with the death of that player (if applicable) and the Night Phase will begin.

The Night Phase is where players can utilize the abilities of any role they have been given. These will be detailed in PMs I create for each player. In addition, the members of the Mafia can elect to kill another player during the Night. The Night Phase ends when all players have submitted their actions.

The object of the game for each faction (Town, Mafia) is to eliminate the other faction. As a short-cut, when the Mafia make up 50% or more of the living players, the game will end automatically, since they will be able to control the vote during the Day Phase and can no longer be eliminated (under most circumstances). However, there is no such short-cut for the Town, and they must eliminate each member of the Mafia.

Terms, acronyms, and abbreviations:
Alignment - your status as Town, Mafia, or 3rd Party (anything not Town or Mafia).
Bandwagon - A "wagon" consists of the individuals voting for a person. Bandwagoning usually refers to hopping on such a wagon blindly or without clearly articulating your reasons.
BP - Bulletproof, a person immune to night kills.
Buddying - A tactic by mafia where they agree with or support towns people in an attempt to look innocent in return.
Bussing - When the mafia allow, or help, get one of their own members lynched, in order to look innocent in return, or to avoid suspicion.
Claim - Either Character Claim or Role Claim. This is a request to reveal this part of your Role.
Counter Claim - In most cases, roles are unique per game. A counter-claim is when one person challenges another person's role-claim by claiming the same role.
Fake Claim - Since your character or role can be indicative of your alignment, mafioso's usually invent fake claims to avoid suspicion. Cna also be done by Towns-persons trying to perform some sort of gambit.
FOS - Finger of suspicion. Indicates that you suspect someone of being mafia, but usually not enough to place a vote on them.
Hammer - Placing the last vote on someone to get them lynched.
JK - Jailkeeper, a combination of doctor and roleblocker.
LYLO - Lynch or Lose, a situation where the towns-people only outnumber the mafia by 1. Since the mafia gets a kill at night and this would tie them with the town and earn them a win, it is necessary for the town to lynch a mafia in this situation or they lose.
Modkill - You break my rules - I kill you. I will also retroactively convert you into a survivor such that you can't even claim a win with your original faction.
MYLO - Mislynch and Lose, a situation where the towns-people outnumber the mafia by 2. A mislynch gives the mafia a free kill which, when combined with the mafia night kill, allows the mafia to win. Barring irrefutable results, MYLO generally results in no lynch, which merely leads to LYLO.
NK - night kill, any kill performed at night, though usually refers to the mafia night kill.
PM - Private message. Players are only permitted to create or talk in Private Messages set up by the mod.
PR - Power Role, a role with some ability, either passive or active. Towns people without a power role are referred to as "Vanillas" while mafiosos without a power role are referred to as "Goons"
RVS - Random Voting Stage. When there is no information to go on, but you need to get the game moving, generally you'll pressure someone randomly.
Scum - Anyone that is not aligned with the town.
Scum-tell - some trait, or "tell" that indicates a person may be scum.
Softclaim - dropping hints, but not out-right claiming, to be a specific character or role.
SK - Serial Killer, a third party, night killing role.
WIFOM - Wine In Front Of Me. A subtle and complex type of psychology. Best explained herehttp://mafiascum.net...

Rules:
1. The only PMs you are allowed to use to talk about this game with other players are the PMs that I have specifically created for that purpose.
2. Day phases will last until a majority vote has been reached or 48 hours has passed, whichever comes first. If the time-limit is reached, there will be no lynch.
3. Night phases will last until everyone submits their night action or 48 hours has passed, whichever comes first. If the time-limit is reached, your action is forfeit.
4. Be active (submit any Night actions in a timely matter and participate in Day Phase discussions). I will replace people at my discretion in response to low or no activity.
6. You may not cut-and-paste from any game PM into the Day Phase thread. You must always paraphrase.

** This is beginning to become a point of contention, though it won't be an issue for this first round. Here is what paraphrasing means:
http://owl.english.purdue.edu...

Note the example of a "plagiarized" sample. Simply replacing the occasional word with a synonym is not acceptable. Again, not an issue for this game, but will become so later on.

7. All game related questions should be directed to me, via PM. You don't have to create a new PM, you may use your Role PM or mafia PM.

Set-Up:
This round includes an Open Setup. This means that all the roles will be known publicly. This game involves the following roles:
Town - 4x Vanilla

The Vanilla PM looks like this:

You are a Vanilla. You have no night abilities. You win with the town. The town wins when all members of the mafia have been eliminated.

Mafia - 1x Goon

The Goon PM looks like this:

You are a Goon. Each night you may select another player to die. You win with the Mafia. The Mafia wins when its member make up 50% or more of the remaining players.

Roles have been assigned randomly, using random.org.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2013 9:24:49 PM
Living Players:
1. Maikuru
2. ChubbyFatz
3. THEVIRUS
4. Famer
5. FourTrouble

With 5 players, it takes 3 votes to lynch.
This Day Phase will end no later than 9PM DDO time on 3/3.

BEGIN!
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2013 9:33:32 PM
Maybe this is a silly question but if none of the players have any powers or anything, how can we spot the bad guy? Fourtrouble, have you been in a game like this before?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
ChubbyFatz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2013 9:39:14 PM
With no roles to go on not sure how we can find scum. Especially on Day 1. I would say just engage in conversation until someone slips up perhaps?
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2013 9:44:48 PM
I wish famer and thevirus were online right now. The fact that they're not seems...suspicious. Just kidding, they probably didn't think the game would start so soon.
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2013 9:46:37 PM
FT, how did you know so fast? I have zero intuition at this point lol.
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2013 9:48:33 PM
At 3/1/2013 9:45:58 PM, ChubbyFatz wrote:
Maikuru...you personally, what do you have to do to win this game?

Lynch mafia? lol
- lamerde

ChubbyFatz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2013 9:50:19 PM
At 3/1/2013 9:48:33 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 3/1/2013 9:45:58 PM, ChubbyFatz wrote:
Maikuru...you personally, what do you have to do to win this game?

Lynch mafia? lol

I mean we all have a certain role and a certain Win Objective, just wondering what you got
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2013 9:51:02 PM
At 3/1/2013 9:46:37 PM, Maikuru wrote:
FT, how did you know so fast? I have zero intuition at this point lol.

You seem genuinely excited to catch scum. If someone is working their butt off to catch scum they're more likely to be town than not. You should look for behaviors that come from a scum mindset, things that look contrived are some of the best indicators of affiliation.
ChubbyFatz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2013 9:53:27 PM
At 3/1/2013 9:52:31 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
Chubby, the Vanilla role PM was given to us. Did you even read drafter's opening text?

Yes I did. If Mai is vanilla shouldn't he be able to know what the Vanilla Role is and what the objective is...ahem. Hence why I am asking.
ChubbyFatz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2013 9:54:49 PM
At 3/1/2013 9:53:27 PM, ChubbyFatz wrote:
At 3/1/2013 9:52:31 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
Chubby, the Vanilla role PM was given to us. Did you even read drafter's opening text?

Yes I did. If Mai is vanilla shouldn't he be able to know what the Vanilla Role is and what the objective is...ahem. Hence why I am asking.

Ah shat, it's stated in there..didn't realize that...ah well. That was my only attempt to figure if Mai was town or not. I know it sucked but im new lol
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2013 10:02:47 PM
It would make sense for town to read the full OP. That's the only help we're getting.
- lamerde

famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2013 10:48:06 PM
Haven"t read through everything yet, esp. the introduction.

But, just considering I"m like totally new to this, I think I"ll look rather stupid at times. Also, is it a bad idea to tell them what you are? (Like position or role you are playing as).
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 12:33:21 AM
At 3/1/2013 9:42:15 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
We need to get discussion going somehow. I think Maikuru is town. Does anyone here agree or disagree, and if so, why?

I have no idea. Him asking "So how do we get things started" doesn't give me anything to go off
"So you want me to go to the judge with 'unit, corps, God, country'?" - A Few Good Men

"And the hits just keep on comin'." -A Few Good Men
THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 12:40:52 AM
At 3/1/2013 10:48:06 PM, famer wrote:
Haven"t read through everything yet, esp. the introduction.

But, just considering I"m like totally new to this, I think I"ll look rather stupid at times. Also, is it a bad idea to tell them what you are? (Like position or role you are playing as).

Yeah, you don't always want to do that. FT, sorry man, but you have been seeing what everyone else thinks. Right now, I see FT as mafia. All he has done is pinpoint Mai as town right away, with very little info. Suspicious? Who knows. I have theories about what a vet might do, I just have no idea how to pull it off myself. FT hasn't done anything bad accept --- instead of looking for mafia his post (the 2nd or 3rd in the thread) determined who one of the town is. A guess? or is he mafia, and he knew who the town was? If anyone could die tonight, my prediction is Mai... he is the only person so far to be considered town by someone. He doesn't seem suspicious, but this being a rookie game I could see it happening.
"So you want me to go to the judge with 'unit, corps, God, country'?" - A Few Good Men

THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 12:49:29 AM
At 3/1/2013 9:33:32 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Maybe this is a silly question but if none of the players have any powers or anything, how can we spot the bad guy? Fourtrouble, have you been in a game like this before?

This is Mai's ONLY comment, and the first player post in the thread.

This is a question anyone would ask, as if reading the rules off the side of a box game. The fact he knows his position does not prevent his mind from being curious.

And yet from this FT gained that Mai was town. Us not disagreeing makes him a likely target for... mafia... *epiphany*

Fuk.

If there are two mafia I call Mai and FT. FT instantly backed up Mai as town, Mai acted innocent, and now we are on Mai's side. Without thinking this, would anyone have ever guessed Mai was Mafia? I don't know if he is, but I am suspicious of FT...
Fuk it. VTL FT

THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 12:51:23 AM
At 3/2/2013 12:49:29 AM, THEVIRUS wrote:
At 3/1/2013 9:33:32 PM, Maikuru wrote:

This is Mai's ONLY comment, and the first player post in the thread.

This is a question anyone would ask, as if reading the rules off the side of a box game. The fact he knows his position does not prevent his mind from being curious.

And yet from this FT gained that Mai was town. Us not disagreeing makes him a likely target for... mafia... *epiphany*

Fuk.

If there are two mafia I call Mai and FT. FT instantly backed up Mai as town, Mai acted innocent, and now we are on Mai's side. Without thinking this, would anyone have ever guessed Mai was Mafia? I don't know if he is, but I am suspicious of FT...
Fuk it. VTL FT

Okay, there can't be two mafia, but I am still worried about FT. He jumped to conclusions far to fast for my liking. My vote stands as is

famer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 5:58:37 AM
This game is still rather confusing for me. Just wondering, are there anybody who are in neither Mafia and/or town?

And, can there be two mafias at one time?

And when you get Lynched (killed), what are you meant to do? Can you still discuss what you think is going on during the game? Also, if you do get Lynched, does your role get displayed out into the public?

At this stage, I'm going to be rather passive. Need to work out exactly what's going on before I do anything!
abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc abc
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 6:21:39 AM
I recommend you guys read the OP, it is quite evident a lot of you haven't.

That said, here are some thoughts. We have to choose someone to Lynch. To do that, we have to vote for players that we find suspicious and give reads on players we think are Town. The reason I said Maikuru is town is because his post seemed very genuine. I got the feeling he was excited to catch scum and wanted to understand how we can do that without any hard evidence.

You guys should ask yourselves what the motivation is for taking a position like I did. Is it something town would do? The answer to that is yes. Why? Because taking positions is the best way to get discussion going. People need to take positions and then explain why they hold those positions. Then you can analyze their reasoning and see if it comes from a town perspective or scum perspective. This is basically the only form of scumhunting available to us.

I also want to let you guys know, town reads are as useful as scum reads. Think about it: if you get it right, you can form a cohesive block of Town that can't be scattered or separated and can make the game a living hell for a single mafioso. There are countless games where Towns win not by catching mafia directly but by confirming people as town and then going through process of elimination from there.

The single most important thing to keep in mind is that mafia is a game of informed minority vs. uninformed majority. The single mafioso here already KNOWS who the town are whereas us townies are clueless. If you see anything that seems to betray more knowledge that someone should have, that's a good reason to vote for someone. If you see players doing things they don't actually believe in, that's another good reason to vote for someone. Players who shy away from taking positions are also good candidates for being scum, since mafia want to avoid attention.

You also have to keep in mind that the mafia will try to confuse us and cast suspicion on one of us townies. You have to be on the look out for that as well. Mafia will also often go for easy lynches, opportunistic wagon hopping is something to look out for.

famer is not putting much effort into the game and his confusion seems a little over the top, possibly a way to avoid scumhunting for as long as possible. I think that's a good place to start.

VTL famer

Thoughts?
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 1:15:34 PM
This thing heated up fast lol. I've read everything and I have some ideas.

I think Fourtrouble is town, which is probably bad to say since he said the same of me, but look at the game. He's obviously the most experienced player and could probably sabotage us pretty easily if he wanted. Instead, he's like teaching us how to play lol. Also, when Virus voted for him, he gave us more tips and didn't vote him right back.

I don't think Virus is mafia either. If he was, he probably wouldn't go up against two townies he thinks have teamed up (me and Fourtrouble). He'd kill us at night. Now if me or Four die tonight, he'd look guilty.

I'm not sure about famer and chubby. It looks like neither of them read the OP, which town would obviously read because we need the help but mafia, maybe not because they already know what they need to. The difference is famer made a point of saying he didn't read it even after I said town would. Also, chubby is playing and famer really isn't.

I don't want to vote yet because I don't want someone to jump in and finish somebody off. I'd rather get feedback.
- lamerde

THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2013 2:12:47 PM
At 3/2/2013 1:15:34 PM, Maikuru wrote:
This thing heated up fast lol. I've read everything and I have some ideas.

I think Fourtrouble is town, which is probably bad to say since he said the same of me, but look at the game. He's obviously the most experienced player and could probably sabotage us pretty easily if he wanted. Instead, he's like teaching us how to play lol. Also, when Virus voted for him, he gave us more tips and didn't vote him right back.

Maybe he wants to seem our friend. Remember, he is the most experienced, so he knows how to persuade us to like him, and that would be as you said sabotage. On the other hand, it isn't the night yet, so we are not going to know until the next DP who actually wasn't mafia.

I don't think Virus is mafia either. If he was, he probably wouldn't go up against two townies he thinks have teamed up (me and Fourtrouble). He'd kill us at night. Now if me or Four die tonight, he'd look guilty.

If famer is mafia and reads this, ten bucks she kills one of you at night and then blames me next DP

I'm not sure about famer and chubby. It looks like neither of them read the OP, which town would obviously read because we need the help but mafia, maybe not because they already know what they need to. The difference is famer made a point of saying he didn't read it even after I said town would. Also, chubby is playing and famer really isn't.

FT has the same thoughts

I don't want to vote yet because I don't want someone to jump in and finish somebody off. I'd rather get feedback.

AFTER MY INPUT:

VNTL FT

VTL FAMER