Jump to topic:

The United States of DDO - 2

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 5:41:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
This is the second thread for the USDDO game.

First thread: http://www.debate.org...

Hall of records: http://www.debate.org...

This thread marks Imabench's second term as president.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 6:14:31 PM
ROUGH DRAFT BILL

Title: Revision of Membership Rules

Clause 1: The cap on membership is to be repealed.

Clause 2: Any player, besides players with non-voting roles, who have not voted on any of the last three bills will be removed from play. This refers to bills in the future and not simply the three previous bills before this one is passed.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 6:17:20 PM
Next step is the nomination of supreme court justices, and the voting upon them.

I'll bump the proposed Initiatives 6, 7, and 8 I wrote up in the last term also
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 6:21:17 PM
Propos for Intiative 6:

Prohibition of Discrimination Based Upon Race, Sex, Religion, and Sexual Orientation

Clause 1: That the citizens of the United States of Debate.Org deserve to live among each other as equals.

Clause 2: That living among each other as equals does not necessitate that everyone be given, or afforded the same resources, money, or property.

Clause 3: That living among each other as equals means that opportunties will not be denied a person based upon their:

- Race
- Religion
- Sex
- Sexual Orientation

Oppotunities are to include, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:

- Jobs
- Wages
- Medical Treatment
- Education
- Housing

Etc.

Clause 4: That a person has the right to voice "discriminatory" opinions upon these things due to Clause 1 of the U.S. lf DDO Bill of Rights, but acting upon these opinions in a violent, or prejudicial manner is prohibited.

To clarify, to deny someone something, or to act violently towards another based off of any of the aformentioned things, is prohibited.

Clause 5: That congress nor states shall levy no taxes that are based upon any of the aformentioned things in Clause 3.

Clause 6: That just because a "trait" is not listed in the list of traits that discrimination is prohibited against, does not mean that it is permissable to discriminate against these things.

Clause 7: That not all forms of discrimination are prohibited as certain ones are necessary. Such as qualfications for jobs in terms of experience, aptitude, and orher requirements as necessary to fulfill duties.
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 6:23:07 PM
Proposal for Initiative 7:

The Creation, Formation, and Maintenance of an Armed Military Force

Clause 1: That the United States of Debate.Org needs an armed military force to be used for defense of its sovereign soil.

Clause 2: That this military force will be comprised of three branches:

- Army(ground forcs)
- Navy(sea force)
- Air(air force)

Clause 3: That this military will be under the supervision and command of the President of Debate.Org. And the president will be viewed as the commanding officer.

Clause 4: That this military may not aggressively act against its own citizens, on sovereign U.S. of DDO soil.

Clause 5: That no war may be declared unless by congressional approval, approval that will comprise of 2/3rd of votes of Senators in Congress.

Clause 6: That all military spending must be approved by congress as a "Defense Spending Initiative."

Clause 7: That this military will only act in defense of this nation, and shall not attack unless in self-defense. Either after being attacked, or if there is proof beyond a reasonable doubt that such a threat of being attacked exists.
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 6:25:18 PM
Proposal for Initiative Eight:

The Levying and Collecting of Taxes from the Citizens of the United Stares of Debate.Org

Clause 1: That the government of the United States of Debate.Org needs monetary funds to carry-out the duties required of it in service of its citizens.

Clause 2: That the means of gaining these funds shall be carried out through a system of taxation.

Said taxation will be upon a citizens income, and will be in the form of a flat 10% tax.

Said taxation will be upon foreign imports/exports in the form of a 5% taxation upon the estimated value of the goods being imported/exported.

Clause 3: That the government of Debate.Org may implement further taxes as deemed necessary, but may only do so upon further congressional approval in the form of an amendment, or seperate initiative.
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 6:36:12 PM
Now these are mostly the original drafts, so there definitely needs to be some discussion on these before they fullyarevoted upon.

I know Noumena had an amendment he proposed(please post that amendment so we can vote on inclusion) before the final vote.

We also should work out a system in which the president cannot forward bills ahead of those already in voting period or on the docket to be voted upon. Skepsi brought up a solid point that the President can stall impeachment proceedings by simply moving bills to the front of the line agead of Initiatives for impeachment.

Ore_Ele needs to also propose his amendment as i'm sure he will do a much better job as I in writing Clauses 6 & 7 of Initiative 6, than I will as he fully knows what he has in mind for the wording of said clauses.

First order of business of course is purging the Senate of inactives. Second is supreme court nominations, third being the inituatives. This leaves us plenty of time to hash out the initiatives and get em finalized, as well as coming up with two more initiatives to round it off at the five needed to complete a presidential term.

Those two initiatives should be, imo, the one that deals with parliamentary procedure in removibg the presidents power to push his iwn initiatives to the forefront. Then also perhaps going back to the commitee's bill that was proposed previously and tabled, so we can work on finding a way to get it passed. As that will clear up alot of confusion on what needs to be done for an intiative to make it onto the voting docket.

So yeah, lets put the pedal to the metal people, we have work to do!
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 6:43:47 PM
At 3/3/2013 6:36:12 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
Now these are mostly the original drafts, so there definitely needs to be some discussion on these before they fullyarevoted upon.

I know Noumena had an amendment he proposed(please post that amendment so we can vote on inclusion) before the final vote.

We also should work out a system in which the president cannot forward bills ahead of those already in voting period or on the docket to be voted upon. Skepsi brought up a solid point that the President can stall impeachment proceedings by simply moving bills to the front of the line agead of Initiatives for impeachment.

Ore_Ele needs to also propose his amendment as i'm sure he will do a much better job as I in writing Clauses 6 & 7 of Initiative 6, than I will as he fully knows what he has in mind for the wording of said clauses.

First order of business of course is purging the Senate of inactives. Second is supreme court nominations, third being the inituatives. This leaves us plenty of time to hash out the initiatives and get em finalized, as well as coming up with two more initiatives to round it off at the five needed to complete a presidential term.

Those two initiatives should be, imo, the one that deals with parliamentary procedure in removibg the presidents power to push his iwn initiatives to the forefront. Then also perhaps going back to the commitee's bill that was proposed previously and tabled, so we can work on finding a way to get it passed. As that will clear up alot of confusion on what needs to be done for an intiative to make it onto the voting docket.

So yeah, lets put the pedal to the metal people, we have work to do!

Instead of the president being able to push bills to the front, we could make it so congress has that power, or the supreme court. But the power should exist in some form. Or we could simply make impeachments a special case, in that if one is brought to vote it must be voted on immediately, regardless of anything else.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 6:44:48 PM
I love when people go, "you know instead of this, we should do this."

Ya kno, writing and proposing an intiative gets ya further than just suggesting stuff
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
muzebreak
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 6:56:07 PM
At 3/3/2013 6:44:48 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
I love when people go, "you know instead of this, we should do this."

Ya kno, writing and proposing an intiative gets ya further than just suggesting stuff

Agreed, but in the way of formal writing, I am no good. So instead, I propose idea, in hopes that someone better then me will write it.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 7:14:51 PM
First things first, the official list of Congressmen in the game:

1 Imabench
2 Freedo
3 OreEle
4 Buddamoose
5 Muzebreak
6 Skepsikyma
7 Citrakayah
8 Lannan
9 Antidoter
10 Virus
11 Alwaysmorethenyou
12 Agent Orange
13 ViperKing
14 Noumena
15 DoubtingDave
16 Contra
17 ChubbyFatz

5 Spots available for Congressmen

Everyone approve of this?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 7:25:06 PM
At 3/3/2013 6:43:47 PM, muzebreak wrote:

Instead of the president being able to push bills to the front, we could make it so congress has that power, or the supreme court.

Congress isnt exactly unified though, and there is the potential that the Supreme Court could one day also not be unified. The president's job is to keep Congress in order and sort out the mess, and pushing bills is one of the only ways the president can do that.

I think that the president only being able to push for one bill is much better then letting the president arrange the lineup of bills to be voted on, that could lead to a benign dictatorship that the President would have over Congress, and then by extension all of DDO.

But the power should exist in some form. Or we could simply make impeachments a special case, in that if one is brought to vote it must be voted on immediately, regardless of anything else.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

ChubbyFatz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 7:54:38 PM
Actually I contacted Budda to help write a initiative.

I think we should get a bill going regarding how the voting process works, elections, term limits, how long the voting period is so it doesnt run on forever in the event ppl become inactive during election time, the duties and responsibilities and add in a debate for presidency for fun and also list the guidelines of that.

I assume this is Ima last term because I think I saw somewhere 2 terms is the limit but we have nothing concrete in bill form. With a brand new election coming up after this and a guaranteed new administration I think this is imperative.

If budda accepts helping me we'll have this posted.

Thoughts?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 8:16:15 PM
At 3/3/2013 7:54:38 PM, ChubbyFatz wrote:

I think we should get a bill going regarding how the voting process works, elections, term limits, how long the voting period is so it doesnt run on forever in the event ppl become inactive during election time, the duties and responsibilities and add in a debate for presidency for fun and also list the guidelines of that.

Focus the most on that one. Only 60% of 'registered' senators even voted during the election when it could have been over much sooner, so try to come up with a way to handle that and ill make sure the bill becomes an initiative

I assume this is Ima last term because I think I saw somewhere 2 terms is the limit but we have nothing concrete in bill form.

Do we need term limits to be at 2 though? My first term lasted for just 10 days, not exactly forever...

With a brand new election coming up after this and a guaranteed new administration I think this is imperative.

Again... 2 terms seems rather unreasonable since the my first term didnt even last 2 weeks....

Thoughts?

Just focus on removing inactive senators and organizing how an election would be held, we can work out term limits on another day

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 8:16:20 PM
Well, it looks like people keep pushing to forcefully remove people without doing it the legal way. So screw it. Necessity over literalism.

I told medic I'd put him in when a spot opened up, so..

Medic has joined
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
ChubbyFatz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 8:21:04 PM

Do we need term limits to be at 2 though? My first term lasted for just 10 days, not exactly forever...

With a brand new election coming up after this and a guaranteed new administration I think this is imperative.

Again... 2 terms seems rather unreasonable since the my first term didnt even last 2 weeks....

Thoughts?

Just focus on removing inactive senators and organizing how an election would be held, we can work out term limits on another day

2 terms actually does seem small considering in 1 term is only about 1-2 weeks.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 8:22:42 PM
Proposed Initiative:

The Closing of Various Loopholes and Possible Areas of Abuse

Clause 1: The President's ability to move his legislation to the forefront shall be suspended immediately in the event of an initiative for impeachment being brought to the floor, and will be restored once said initiative has either passed or failed.

Clause 2: That initiatives intended to impeach any official do not count towards the five bills which determine the end of a presidency.

Clause 3: That any person whom is excluded from voting for an initiative is not included in the calculation which determines the number of votes required to pass said initiative.

Clause 4: That any person, having voted for an initiative, may revoke their vote withing 24 hours if the bill was amended after the addition of said vote. They may do this even if the bill has passed, thus returning the bill to the floor.

I am very eager for more suggestions; now is the time to comb our laws for various weaknesses.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 8:28:10 PM

I assume this is Ima last term because I think I saw somewhere 2 terms is the limit but we have nothing concrete in bill form. With a brand new election coming up after this and a guaranteed new administration I think this is imperative.

Thoughts?

Ore_Ele and I proposed something like this last term:

Clause 1: Proposed bills cannot be voted on until an ammendment period has been completed.

Clause 2: During this period any member of congress may present a change to a proposed bill.

Clause 3: The presented change officially changes a bill on the voting floor if the original author(s) agree to the change, or if 2/3rd of congress supports the change.

Clause 4: A bill can be moved to a vote by a simple majority, after which no more amendments can be made to it and voting to pass the bill commences.

Clause 5: The author(s) of the bill may block the moving of their bill to a vote, and this block can be overuled by a 2/3rds majority.

Clause 6: After a period of 72 hours, the bill is automatically moved to a vote.

Clause 7: A bill will fail to pass if it does not receive a 2/3rds majority and a signature from the president 24 hours after being moved to a vote.

Clause 8: All bills must be introduced, amended, and moved to vote with the intent to do so clearly stated and bolded.

Clause 9: Only the bill at at the top of the list, as determined by the president, can be amended or moved to a vote.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 8:34:56 PM
At 3/3/2013 8:21:04 PM, ChubbyFatz wrote:

Thoughts?

2 terms actually does seem small considering in 1 term is only about 1-2 weeks.

How about one term of 30 days?? Have the election at 20 days, and that gives the current president time to finish the business that he thinks is most important. That could be made retroactive to Ima's original election.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 8:36:05 PM
At 3/3/2013 8:28:10 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:

Thoughts?

Ore_Ele and I proposed something like this last term:

Clause 1: Proposed bills cannot be voted on until an ammendment period has been completed.

Clause 2: During this period any member of congress may present a change to a proposed bill.

Clause 3: The presented change officially changes a bill on the voting floor if the original author(s) agree to the change, or if 2/3rd of congress supports the change.

Clause 4: A bill can be moved to a vote by a simple majority, after which no more amendments can be made to it and voting to pass the bill commences.

Clause 5: The author(s) of the bill may block the moving of their bill to a vote, and this block can be overuled by a 2/3rds majority.

Clause 6: After a period of 72 hours, the bill is automatically moved to a vote.

Clause 7: A bill will fail to pass if it does not receive a 2/3rds majority and a signature from the president 24 hours after being moved to a vote.

Clause 8: All bills must be introduced, amended, and moved to vote with the intent to do so clearly stated and bolded.

Clause 9: Only the bill at at the top of the list, as determined by the president, can be amended or moved to a vote.

I think if we find a number of bills that have a lot of support, we should combine them into 1 initiative so we don't have another election super soon.

I would like to see something differentiate between constitutional amendments and the passing of laws.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 8:43:38 PM
At 3/3/2013 8:41:57 PM, medic0506 wrote:
Have the SC justices been confirmed??

They haven't even been officially nominated yet.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 8:44:35 PM
At 3/3/2013 8:43:38 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

We should also add as an amendment to the SC bill, that if there are any vacancies for any reason, they must be filled.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 8:49:12 PM
At 3/3/2013 8:43:38 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

My bad, I thought you, Muze, and Budda had been nominated.
ChubbyFatz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 9:12:09 PM
OK everyone I think it's very important that we have some guidelines for the Presidential Elections. The elections unlike some other bills are things that we will actually face and have to deal with occasionally. So it's important we have something in the books. I have outlined what I feel are important and fair guidelines. I hope everyone can express their thoughts and criticisms so we can get this very much needed initiative to pass.

Also, I am not as versed as Budda or some of you others who are exceptional in making bills so please excuse me if it's not 100% professionally done.

Thanks.

PROPOSED INITIATIVE 9

Choosing A President

Clause 1: After 5 bills have been passed the current term is over and a new election shall be held.

Clause 2: Each candidate will have a self appointed running mate, Vice President

Clause 3: There shall be a ballot consisting of at least one candidate. Electors shall vote on those who are on the ballot.

Clause 4: The election will be over if a majority of more then 50% votes has been met OR after 5 days. If no majority has been met the existing Vice President shall assume the role by default.

Clause 5: IF a President has ruled for 30 days it will serve as a checkpoint. That will be the last term they can serve regardless of how many terms they have previously served.

Clause 6: Once all candidates have been made official a debate period of 48 hours shall be held where the people may ask any questions to the candidates to help better elect.

Clause 7: After the President has won election they will be sworn in by the appointed Supreme Court and that will mark the beginning of their term.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 9:12:39 PM
I wish to here a speech from our reining president and I wish to here the state of the union.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 9:39:20 PM
At 3/3/2013 9:12:39 PM, lannan13 wrote:
I wish to here a speech from our reining president and I wish to here the state of the union.

Ill get right on it

Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2013 9:53:50 PM
At 3/3/2013 9:12:09 PM, ChubbyFatz wrote:
OK everyone I think it's very important that we have some guidelines for the Presidential Elections. The elections unlike some other bills are things that we will actually face and have to deal with occasionally. So it's important we have something in the books. I have outlined what I feel are important and fair guidelines. I hope everyone can express their thoughts and criticisms so we can get this very much needed initiative to pass.

Also, I am not as versed as Budda or some of you others who are exceptional in making bills so please excuse me if it's not 100% professionally done.

Thanks.

PROPOSED INITIATIVE 9

Choosing A President

Clause 1: After 5 bills have been passed the current term is over and a new election shall be held.

Clause 2: Each candidate will have a self appointed running mate, Vice President

Clause 3: There shall be a ballot consisting of at least one candidate. Electors shall vote on those who are on the ballot.

Clause 4: The election will be over if a majority of more then 50% votes has been met OR after 5 days. If no majority has been met the existing Vice President shall assume the role by default.

Clause 5: IF a President has ruled for 30 days it will serve as a checkpoint. That will be the last term they can serve regardless of how many terms they have previously served.

Clause 6: Once all candidates have been made official a debate period of 48 hours shall be held where the people may ask any questions to the candidates to help better elect.

Clause 7: After the President has won election they will be sworn in by the appointed Supreme Court and that will mark the beginning of their term.

Earlier on we tossed about the idea of IRV and it had pretty wide support:

This is a rough outline of how it would work:

1. Each voter lists four candidates, in descending order from their most favored candidate.

2. At the end of the election, the results are counted. If one candidate has a simple majority, they are declared the winner. Otherwise, the candidate(s) with the least amount of votes is/are eliminated, and every person who voted for them has their vote recounted and redistributed to their second choice.

3. This process is repeated until either a candidate has a simple majority or one candidate is left standing.
- Hilaire Belloc -