Jump to topic:

Does avatar increase or decrease effectivenes

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 8:16:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Would you take someone with a specific avatar more or less seriously in a mafia game and does the avatar a person have determine how willing you are to listen to that person?

I've never seen it here since most people know me but on mafiascum where each game you play is with a new set of players, my play was ineffective when I had a different screenname (rapidcanyon) and used an avatar of a stream flowing over a river. After I changed my account and created a new one (F-16_Fighting_Falcon) with a picture of an F/A 18 Hornet as my avatar, people starting taking me a lot more seriously. It has to be missiles...

Do you notice any change in how seriously people take you depending on your avatar? Are you more or less likely to listen to someone because of their avatar in a mafia game? Do bright/dark avatars matter? How about avatars of people compared with avatars of abstract scenery compared with avatars of objects? I am probably the only member who uses the third kind of avatar. What opinions do you form based on avatars and how likely is it to influence you?
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 8:26:25 PM
I don't know about mafia, but I only ever vote in-line with my opinion of the debater's avatars. I've never even read a debate on this site, I just vote for whomever I think has the best avatar and fill in my RFD with random sentences in the hopes that it's relevant enough to the debate that I don't get called out on it.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
ishallannoyyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 8:29:22 PM
The only thing that I've noticed about avatars is that it seems like if you use a generic avatar, like one of the start up ones provided by DDO, many people will assume that you a newb (which is not always false) since they can't identify you by your picture.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 8:30:21 PM
People are more suspicious of me since I stopped using the avi of a big stuffed moose ;)
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 8:46:37 PM
Avatars, names...I think they are relevant in the sense that they impact our opinions of members and those opinions impact gameplay.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 8:48:15 PM
At 3/17/2013 8:46:37 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Avatars, names...I think they are relevant in the sense that they impact our opinions of members and those opinions impact gameplay.

So what are your impressions of various avatars and names?
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 9:01:23 PM
At 3/17/2013 8:48:15 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

So what are your impressions of various avatars and names?

Good question lol. I tend to gravitate toward more lighthearted names and pictures, while avoiding nature scenes. It's unfounded but I just assume the former group is fun/interesting and the latter is...maybe boring? I also usually ignore names that look like they are randomly generated (e.g. Joe346) and default avatars (I used to think tulle was a troll when she had here lol). In playing a game with 'default' or less interesting members, I'd like take them less seriously.
- lamerde

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 9:56:26 PM
At 3/17/2013 9:52:35 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
That is an interesting idea though. Maybe if I change my avatar people will lynch me less often?

Pretty sure you're the exception to that rule ;)
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 10:01:57 PM
I'm pretty sure (if memory serves me well), that psychologists have actually discovered that we are more likely to trust and give value to things and/or people that we find "more attractive" as opposed to things we find "less attractive". It's actually why you find most TV reporters to be, for the most part, well groomed and relatively young in appearance, since that's what society in general views as attractive.

In terms of mafia, idk. I'm of the belief that if it has a noticeable effect, it's in a way that you don't actually notice it happening (if that makes any sense at all). Like, if you were to take a picture of an attractive woman (or man, not to discriminate) saying that "x is scum" and compare it to a fat, ugly slob saying "y is scum", they're probably going to vote x, baring outside reasons and basing things just off of appearance.

As to how to predict it and use it in a game, fvck if I know. I guess we could all just change our avatars to pictures of scantily clad women and go from there, but I'm pretty sure that wouldn't exactly help out the integrity of the site (a debating site where the most active users have pictures of half-naked chicks as their pictures? LOL!), but it would be an interesting experiment to run if you could control for all of the variables.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 10:05:52 PM
I'm of the belief that if it has a noticeable effect, it's in a way that you don't actually notice it happening

Yeah, now that I think about it this definitely needs some clarification.

Like, take for example human growth in height. On a day-to-day comparison, you're not going to notice any sort of effect going on (say two inches in a year maybe? What is that, a few millimeters a day? No one is going to notice that). But we know that it's having a noticeable effect, being that you are becoming taller in height than you were before (if it didn't have a noticeable effect, we'd still be the same height as we were born). That noticeable effect just isn't something we notice is happening.

Does that make any more sense?
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 10:10:27 PM
Attractiveness comes in many forms. For instance modern aircraft are "attractive" while garbage cans and grafitti are not. This goes into what I was saying about people vs objects. Zaradi, I agree that there is potential for experimentation there. We can expand attractiveness into objects as well. Also, to all the members that have people as their avatars, why is it so common to have people and not objects? I don't know if I am an exception that way. Even in modded mafia games, I am probably the only person who used non-people as characters in more than one game.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/17/2013 10:19:35 PM
At 3/17/2013 10:10:27 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Attractiveness comes in many forms. For instance modern aircraft are "attractive" while garbage cans and grafitti are not.

Gawd, that F-16....such a sexy plane ;)

This goes into what I was saying about people vs objects. Zaradi, I agree that there is potential for experimentation there. We can expand attractiveness into objects as well. Also, to all the members that have people as their avatars, why is it so common to have people and not objects? I don't know if I am an exception that way. Even in modded mafia games, I am probably the only person who used non-people as characters in more than one game.

It's not like I'm against having objects as my profile picture (I actually had a picture of a massive book with the caption "Understanding Women, Volume One" for a little bit when I just started before it came to be my picture of Dwight Schrute), I just pick what's funny and generally post it. The pic of imabench I have right now is just on there when a bunch of people were putting it as their user and it was a running joke, and I just haven't gotten around to changing it. I know my avatar on mafiascum is a picture of a dog, so it's not just people I guess.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 1:02:44 AM
I really should know the whole psychological background on this... but don't. Obviously, avatar pictures create a certain impression at first on a visual level; text and such provides a textual 'first level' as well of course. I think that if the visuals and text match up you will be taken more seriously. I also think that the avatar picture does not have an effect through denotation so much as connotation, for obvious reasons.

To show this briefly, look at how F-16's analysis and mechanical like play matches with his choice of machinery. Look at how FT's aggression correlates with the gun in his picture. Drafterman's picture has a certain scrutiny to it. One of Bluesteel's pictures used to belie a certain charisma. Or, to put the ideas of avatar under scrutiny, imagine F-16 with a beautiful rose as his avatar. Aside from the familiarity effect not being in play for F-16 here, it would be strange methinks.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 11:20:54 AM
I'd guess that pics have an initial effect on gameplay i.e., newbs but that after a while the effects tend to lessen. For instance I view Royal and Ft pretty much the same in every game even though Royal changes her pic and Ft still has that pic of a gross old man carrying a gun. Per chance we could do a case study on Ft to determine whether or not it's his pic or his play style that gets him lynched every game.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2013 3:37:44 PM
Personally, My username affects reads way more on mafiascum then it does here.

I mean really, my name off-site is lurker.

No one dares mess with me.

I usually play in large theme games, wait until critical mass, then BAM!
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 12:06:41 AM
At 3/18/2013 1:29:27 PM, tulle wrote:
I used to think tulle was a troll

-______-

I'm still on the fence.
- lamerde

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 12:33:54 AM
At 3/18/2013 11:20:54 AM, Noumena wrote:
I'd guess that pics have an initial effect on gameplay i.e., newbs but that after a while the effects tend to lessen. For instance I view Royal and Ft pretty much the same in every game even though Royal changes her pic and Ft still has that pic of a gross old man carrying a gun. Per chance we could do a case study on Ft to determine whether or not it's his pic or his play style that gets him lynched every game.

Hmmm....that would be kind of fun to design.

The control would be just flat out Fourtrouble (lynch or no lynch). Then two other test groups, one with his playing style and one with his picture? We'd have to find people who knew enough about mafia to be able to participate in the study though...
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 1:12:57 AM
At 3/19/2013 12:06:41 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 3/18/2013 1:29:27 PM, tulle wrote:
I used to think tulle was a troll

-______-

Its a whale ^^

I'm still on the fence.

LULZ
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2013 9:00:30 AM
At 3/19/2013 12:33:54 AM, Zaradi wrote:
At 3/18/2013 11:20:54 AM, Noumena wrote:

Hmmm....that would be kind of fun to design.

The control would be just flat out Fourtrouble (lynch or no lynch). Then two other test groups, one with his playing style and one with his picture? We'd have to find people who knew enough about mafia to be able to participate in the study though...

An experiment wouldn't work imo given that the test subjects would have to know they're being observed. I think I'd just look through all of Ft's games and then find two other people- one with a pic similar to his and one with a playstyle similar to his. Though I admit findind someone with a similar pic would prove troublesome considering our small pool of players and the fact that people tend to change their pics often (making looking back through old games ineffective).
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.