drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 8:38:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Town wins!

Dramatis Personae:
1. Maikuru: You are GILL-MAN, the creature from the Black Lagoon. You are a cryptic, aloof monster, whose motivations aren't clearly known. It is also notoriously hard to kill you, as you tend to retreat to your watery home, where you have the advantage. You are the BOMB. If you die at night, you will kill your attacker. You win with the TOWN.

[Mod Note: Based off of the move, "Creature from the Black Lagoon" (1954)]

2. ChubbyFatz: You are DR. HENRY FRANKENSTEIN. The archetypical "mad scientist," you and your assistance Fritz are obsessed with restoring life to the dead. You are the REVIVER. Each night you may select a dead player. For the next Day Phase, they will be revived and can participate and vote. However, your creations are, inevitably, failures. Players you revive will die at the end of the Day Phase, and you may not select them again. You win with the TOWN.

[Mod Note: Based off of the Boris Karloff, "Frakenstein" (1931)]

3. THEVIRUS: You are COUNT DRACULA. Originally an inhabitant of a castle in Transylvania, you have decided to move to Carfax Abbey in London to continue your reign of terror. You are powerless during the day and are VOTELESS - you cannot vote. However, you are known for enthralling others to do your bidding and are the VOTE STEALER. Each night you may select another person and have them vote a player of your chosing. For the entirety of the next Day Phase, their vote will be on that person. You win with the TOWN.

[Mod Note: Based off of the Bela Lugosi, "Dracula" (1931)]

4. trekie: You are THE PHANTOM. You are noted for haunting the Paris Opera House, eventually falling in love and kidnapping Christine, one of the singers who plays there. Your devotion makes you the SERAPH KNIGHT. During Night Phase 1, you must select another player. That player will be protected from deaths (during the night) so long as you remain alive. You win with the TOWN.

[Mod Note: Based off of the Lon Chaney, "The Phantom of the Opera" (1925)]

5. Lannan (TSH): You are PROFESSOR VAN HELSING. Your are famous for uncovering and revealing the identity of Count Dracula. You are the ROLE COP. Each night you may select another player and learn their role. You win with the MAFIA.

[Mod Note: Based off of the Bela Lugosi, "Dracula" (1931)]

6. Skepsikyma: You are DR. MIRAKLE. You are the instigator of the Murders in Rue Morgue, inadvertantly killing women by injecting them with ape blood as you investigate ways to create a mate for your pet talking ape, Erik. You are the BRUTAL COP. Each night you may select another player to learn their affiliation. However, as a result of your usnavory methods, that player will also be roleblocked that night. You win with the TOWN.

[Mod Note: Based off of the Bela Lugosi, "Murders in the Rue Morgue" (1932)]

7. FourTrouble: You are PIERRE DUPIN. You are a medical student and detective investigating the Murders in the Rue Morgue. Your forensic techniques make you the SCOUT. Each night you may select another player and learn who they visit. You win with the MAFIA.

[Mod Note: Based off of the Bela Lugosi, "Murders in the Rue Morgue" (1932)]

The Theme:
The theme of this game wasn't simply Horror Movie Villains, but villains from a specific period of time, when icons like Lon Chaney, Bela Lugosi, and Boris Karloff were popular. I was disappointed that there wasn't any sort of indepth analysis into the claims and where they came from. If the Town had done this, the Mafia would have had a hard time claiming. Other movies/characters that were possibilities:

The Mummy, The Invisible Man, Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde, The Wolfman.

Fortunately for the Town, and unfortunately for the Mafia, lannan didn't even bother fake claiming, for reasons that I can't fathom.

I always find it interesting when the "bad guys" are Town and the "good guys" are the mafia. Despite having the evidence right there, in their own role PM, they have a hard time comprehending that, even when the stated theme of the game is "VILLAINS."

Balance:
I received complaints of game imbalance. The Town was built solidly and the Mafia not as much. While I will back off from asserting the game is perfectly balanced (I'd probably swap the Bomb for a Hunter and weaken the Cop a bit) the Town's roles, while powerful, require strategy and thinking. If the Seraph Knight or or Vote Stealer chooses poorly, the Town is at a severe handicap. For several Day Phases, it was mathematically impossible to lynch a mafioso, due to the actions of the Vote Stealer. Lannan only died because he hammered himself. If he had not, he couldn't have been lynched.

The Reviver is not as powerful as it seems. A person is brought back for a single day phase. This is less of an impact than the doctor successfully saving a person (as that person sticks around for the rest of the game unless killed again).

The Mafia's defense against this is the Role Cop and Scout (Tracker) so they can find out who does what and what they are doing.

Regardless of the balance, the Town win in this wasn't about balance...

Analysis:
Town had this game in the bag DP2. The Mafia decision to try and kill Chubby was, in my opinion, a poor one. Having claimed Reviver, he would have been the obvious choice for protection. In doing so, they essentially confirmed Chubby as Town. Without a bulletproof, trekie was semi-confirmed as Town through being uncced, and Maikuru as having been investigated Innocent. That simply left Skep and VIRUS.

Trekie used some rather clever analysis to determine that VIRUS is town. The combination of which was to semi-confirm all but 1 Town. In response, the Mafia did nothing to contradict, debate, refute, or otherwise misinform the Town. TSH disappeared and FT did not take control as he normally does.

While he suggested that Maikuru could be a godfather, he really didn't do much to push this angle, nor explain that Skep could be fake claiming. He tried to focus on VIRUS, which is an odd choice, given that VIRUS was a mechanical and behavioral liability. A simple fake claim of bulletproof would have called Chubby's affiliation into question. In short, the Town was left to figure out the game on their own, with minimal interference with the Mafia. All of the Town save VIRUS played excellently.

After DP2, the Mafia basically threw in the towel.

Good job to everyone involved. The following people now have official credit of passing the Beginners Games:

Maikuru
ChubbyFatz
THEVIRUS (practice! pay attention!)
trekie
Skepsikyma
ChubbyFatz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 8:47:36 PM
Thanks professor!

We appreciate taking time out to mod this series for us. Also thanks to FT for his veteran advise (when he was town).

Great series and definitely learned alot.

Thanks all.
ChubbyFatz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 8:48:15 PM
At 3/24/2013 8:47:36 PM, ChubbyFatz wrote:
Thanks professor!

We appreciate YOU taking time out to mod this series for us. Also thanks to FT for his veteran advise (when he was town).

Great series and definitely learned alot.

Thanks all.
THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 9:16:13 PM
Thanks. I see your hint about paying attention, but I think I will remain a wild card for the time being... I make the game more challenging for both sides.
"So you want me to go to the judge with 'unit, corps, God, country'?" - A Few Good Men

"And the hits just keep on comin'." -A Few Good Men
ishallannoyyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 9:18:03 PM
At 3/24/2013 9:10:42 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 3/24/2013 8:51:38 PM, Zaradi wrote:
Hey drafter, do you care if I host the next series?

Go ahead.

I asked if I could host a while ago in the games forum. Can I like co-host with Zaradi or something, or can I just have the one after Zaradi?
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 9:21:27 PM
Thank you very much, this was a great learning opportunity. I have a feeling that I'm going to be addicted to this game.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 9:24:43 PM
At 3/24/2013 9:16:13 PM, THEVIRUS wrote:
Thanks. I see your hint about paying attention, but I think I will remain a wild card for the time being... I make the game more challenging for both sides.

If you're doing it on purpose then it's stupid and ill be using this as a reference point for other mods so they can decide whether or not to allow you to play in their games.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2013 10:05:06 PM
Big thanks to drafter for the awesome series. Another thanks to FT and Budda for their advice and participation.

I had a blast and learned a lot. I'm definitely hooked.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
trekie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2013 5:32:14 AM
At 3/24/2013 8:38:43 PM, drafterman wrote:
The theme of this game wasn't simply Horror Movie Villains, but villains from a specific period of time, when icons like Lon Chaney, Bela Lugosi, and Boris Karloff were popular. I was disappointed that there wasn't any sort of indepth analysis into the claims and where they came from. If the Town had done this, the Mafia would have had a hard time claiming. Other movies/characters that were possibilities:
I did narrow down the theme to this time period and films, but since our two main scum suspects were the only ones who haven't character claimed by DP2, (You know I knew Chubby's character, and I obviously knew my own.) I didn't see a point in discussing it until they did as well. And then we didn't really need it anyway. I liked the theme, but that's just how things worked out.

I think we got lucky with NP1. Both with the mafia kill, and with Skep's good investigation choice. And I think Maikuru got nicely everyone to the same page after that. I also feel like we were playing against Virus more than the actual mafia.

Thanks to drafter for the modding, and thanks to the others for playing alongside. I had fun.
THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2013 6:14:57 PM
At 3/24/2013 9:24:43 PM, drafterman wrote:

If you're doing it on purpose then it's stupid and ill be using this as a reference point for other mods so they can decide whether or not to allow you to play in their games.

Not on purpose, I just am not going to go out of my way to change. If I get more serious, oh well.
"So you want me to go to the judge with 'unit, corps, God, country'?" - A Few Good Men

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 5:17:22 AM
At 3/26/2013 6:14:57 PM, THEVIRUS wrote:

Not on purpose, I just am not going to go out of my way to change.

Then you're doing it on purpose and shouldn't be playing this game.
THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 8:39:07 AM
At 3/27/2013 5:17:22 AM, drafterman wrote:

No, acting normal is semi-deliberate, only because I am acting like I usually do in real life. It's called having a personality

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2013 9:55:39 AM
At 3/27/2013 8:39:07 AM, THEVIRUS wrote:

No, acting normal is semi-deliberate, only because I am acting like I usually do in real life. It's called having a personality

I've been reading the Midnighters game and I notice your reception there is equally negative (e.g. drawing heavy votes, confusion, frustration, irritation). I think by slowing down and perhaps being more thoughtful, it will become easier to have a unique play style that doesn't simultaneously ostracize the other players, especially considering we are still beginners and learning the intricacies of the game.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2013 8:59:46 AM
At 3/27/2013 9:55:39 AM, Maikuru wrote:
At 3/27/2013 8:39:07 AM, THEVIRUS wrote:

I've been reading the Midnighters game and I notice your reception there is equally negative (e.g. drawing heavy votes, confusion, frustration, irritation). I think by slowing down and perhaps being more thoughtful, it will become easier to have a unique play style that doesn't simultaneously ostracize the other players, especially considering we are still beginners and learning the intricacies of the game.

That was opening of DP 1. Did I not add extra twists that a different person would never think of, yet so far has connected to our ideas about TPs and narrowing down mafia?