Jump to topic:

Mafia Beginner Series 14.1

ishallannoyyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 2:15:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
*Taken directly from 13.1, any questions may be asked in the PM.

Introduction to Mafia:
Mafia is a game of strategy and behavioral analysis that pits an uninformed majority (The Town) against an informed minority (The Mafia). All members of the Mafia know who they are and - by process of elimination - know who the members of the Town are. The members of the mafia have their own private, shared PM, where they can coordinate and discuss strategies. However, no member of the Town is given information about any other player; they must figure that out through the course of the game.

The game is divided into Day Phases and Night Phases. Each Day Phase will be conducted in a public thread created by me. I will start each Day Phase with a summary of actions performed the previous Night (excepting the first Day Phase), a list of living and dead players, and other rules and notes. The Day Phase is used by all players for open deliberation and is the only normal mechanism by which members of the Town can communicate with each other. It is the primary vehicle by which the members of the Town can eliminate their opposition: The Mafia. However, the Mafia are part of this deliberation, and will try to disrupt or derail the plans of the Town, though in a way as not to reveal their affiliation.

During the Day Phase, each player may case a vote to lynch another player. The format is VTL Player Name. Unbolded votes do not count. To remove your vote from a player, you can simply Unvote. Alternatively, you may vote that no player be lynched that day by voting to no lynch, or VTNL. If a majority of the living players vote to have another player lynched, or vote that no one should be lynched, the Day Phase will end with the death of that player (if applicable) and the Night Phase will begin.

The Night Phase is where players can utilize the abilities of any role they have been given. These will be detailed in PMs I create for each player. In addition, the members of the Mafia can elect to kill another player during the Night. The Night Phase ends when all players have submitted their actions.

The object of the game for each faction (Town, Mafia) is to eliminate the other faction. As a short-cut, when the Mafia make up 50% or more of the living players, the game will end automatically, since they will be able to control the vote during the Day Phase and can no longer be eliminated (under most circumstances). However, there is no such short-cut for the Town, and they must eliminate each member of the Mafia.

Terms, acronyms, and abbreviations:
Alignment - your status as Town, Mafia, or 3rd Party (anything not Town or Mafia).
Bandwagon - A "wagon" consists of the individuals voting for a person. Bandwagoning usually refers to hopping on such a wagon blindly or without clearly articulating your reasons.
BP - Bulletproof, a person immune to night kills.
Buddying - A tactic by mafia where they agree with or support towns people in an attempt to look innocent in return.
Bussing - When the mafia allow, or help, get one of their own members lynched, in order to look innocent in return, or to avoid suspicion.
Claim - Either Character Claim or Role Claim. This is a request to reveal this part of your Role.
Counter Claim - In most cases, roles are unique per game. A counter-claim is when one person challenges another person's role-claim by claiming the same role.
Fake Claim - Since your character or role can be indicative of your alignment, mafioso's usually invent fake claims to avoid suspicion. Cna also be done by Towns-persons trying to perform some sort of gambit.
FOS - Finger of suspicion. Indicates that you suspect someone of being mafia, but usually not enough to place a vote on them.
Hammer - Placing the last vote on someone to get them lynched.
JK - Jailkeeper, a combination of doctor and roleblocker.
LYLO - Lynch or Lose, a situation where the towns-people only outnumber the mafia by 1. Since the mafia gets a kill at night and this would tie them with the town and earn them a win, it is necessary for the town to lynch a mafia in this situation or they lose.
Modkill - You break my rules - I kill you. I will also retroactively convert you into a survivor such that you can't even claim a win with your original faction.
MYLO - Mislynch and Lose, a situation where the towns-people outnumber the mafia by 2. A mislynch gives the mafia a free kill which, when combined with the mafia night kill, allows the mafia to win. Barring irrefutable results, MYLO generally results in no lynch, which merely leads to LYLO.
NK - night kill, any kill performed at night, though usually refers to the mafia night kill.
PM - Private message. Players are only permitted to create or talk in Private Messages set up by the mod.
PR - Power Role, a role with some ability, either passive or active. Towns people without a power role are referred to as "Vanillas" while mafiosos without a power role are referred to as "Goons"
RVS - Random Voting Stage. When there is no information to go on, but you need to get the game moving, generally you'll pressure someone randomly.
Scum - Anyone that is not aligned with the town.
Scum-tell - some trait, or "tell" that indicates a person may be scum.
Softclaim - dropping hints, but not out-right claiming, to be a specific character or role.
SK - Serial Killer, a third party, night killing role.
WIFOM - Wine In Front Of Me. A subtle and complex type of psychology. Best explained herehttp://mafiascum.net......

Rules:
1. The only PMs you are allowed to use to talk about this game with other players are the PMs that I have specifically created for that purpose.
2. Day phases will last until a majority vote has been reached or 48 hours has passed, whichever comes first. If the time-limit is reached, there will be no lynch.
3. Night phases will last until everyone submits their night action or 48 hours has passed, whichever comes first. If the time-limit is reached, your action is forfeit.
4. Be active (submit any Night actions in a timely matter and participate in Day Phase discussions). I will replace people at my discretion in response to low or no activity.
6. You may not cut-and-paste from any game PM into the Day Phase thread. You must always paraphrase.

** This is beginning to become a point of contention, though it won't be an issue for this first round. Here is what paraphrasing means:
http://owl.english.purdue.edu......

Note the example of a "plagiarized" sample. Simply replacing the occasional word with a synonym is not acceptable. Again, not an issue for this game, but will become so later on.

7. All game related questions should be directed to me, via PM. You don't have to create a new PM, you may use your Role PM or mafia PM.
ishallannoyyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 2:21:29 PM
This is an open set up. There will be:

7 Vanillas
3 Goons

KINGDEBATER, ALLOW ME TO SEND MESSAGES TO YOU IF YOU WISH TO PARTICIPATE.

This DP will end in 42 hours. Good luck!
ishallannoyyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 2:26:47 PM
It appears TDK has reactivated his account. He has been added to the game (if he wishes to play, though I think he does). His role will not be added to the list (for obvious reasons), though there will be 11 players.

With 11 players, it takes 6 votes to lynch.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 2:27:44 PM
So who's all playing?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 2:33:16 PM
VTL TDK
For claim.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 4:22:47 PM
Claims seem rather useless with all the vanillas...

To begginner's: The general practice in games such as these is to pressure(through voting) people for claims. Such as Lannans vote on TDK.
But in this game its obvious that all people will do is claim vanilla, because thats the only town roles in the game.

This set-up with no townie power roles, suchbas cop or doc Ishy, is super mafia sided. After all, what sort of discussion will be started if pressuring for claims is pointless?

^^thats not a rhetorical question btw, people should throw out ideas on how to start discussion, etc. so we can actually have posts to analyze for behavior.

Btw, Ishy, I assume that since I didnt recieve a role PM that makes me a town vanilla?
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 4:24:59 PM
Ok here's a good point, Kingdebater is 99% town due to Ishy's post that he cant send him messages. Ergo he can't be a part of the mafia PM.

Thoughts on that people?
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 4:33:27 PM
VTL Smithereens
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 6:14:26 PM
At 4/20/2013 6:04:47 PM, Smithereens wrote:
Linch me why dontcha -_- I bet you must be a goon to know who I am..

Budda's VTL is a pressure vote based on policy. Just claim.

VTL Smithereens for claim
#FeeltheFreezerBern
ishallannoyyo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 6:15:55 PM
At 4/20/2013 4:22:47 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
Claims seem rather useless with all the vanillas...

To begginner's: The general practice in games such as these is to pressure(through voting) people for claims. Such as Lannans vote on TDK.
But in this game its obvious that all people will do is claim vanilla, because thats the only town roles in the game.

This set-up with no townie power roles, suchbas cop or doc Ishy, is super mafia sided. After all, what sort of discussion will be started if pressuring for claims is pointless?

^^thats not a rhetorical question btw, people should throw out ideas on how to start discussion, etc. so we can actually have posts to analyze for behavior.

Btw, Ishy, I assume that since I didnt recieve a role PM that makes me a town vanilla?

My mistake. I was thinking of a different set up, where this actually would work. New roles will be sent out, deepest apologies.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 6:58:51 PM
At 4/20/2013 4:24:59 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
Ok here's a good point, Kingdebater is 99% town due to Ishy's post that he cant send him messages. Ergo he can't be a part of the mafia PM.

Thoughts on that people?

Well according to ft there is yet to be a mafia pm, so that can't really rule out anything just yet.

Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 7:21:15 PM
At 4/20/2013 6:58:51 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Thoughts on that people?

Well according to ft there is yet to be a mafia pm, so that can't really rule out anything just yet.

FT's discussion from the mafia PM does not preclude the non-existence of one. However, Ishy has essentially just said that he is retooling and starting over with a diff set-up. So we need to wait until he gives word on when he has resent the PM's

@Smithereens- Somebody voting you doesnt automatically make them scum. But either at the time you were a vanilla or a goon(essentially Mafia vanilla).

Also, what did you mean by, "Because I'm voting for you I must know who you are?"
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 7:21:57 PM
*disclusion, not discussion. I totes made up a word i think
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 7:26:42 PM
At 4/20/2013 6:14:26 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
At 4/20/2013 6:04:47 PM, Smithereens wrote:
Linch me why dontcha -_- I bet you must be a goon to know who I am..

Budda's VTL is a pressure vote based on policy. Just claim.

VTL Smithereens for claim

This pressure is stupid, all scul would claim vanilla Becuase IT'S AN OPEN SETUP.

FOS TVeallot.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 7:30:12 PM
My pressure wasnt for a claim, I already said garnering claims at that point in time was useless.

TA, Tvellalott isnt even in the game?
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 8:26:24 PM
At 4/20/2013 7:34:03 PM, RocketEngineer wrote:
Am I not playing anymore? I thought Ishallannoyyo said I could play!

I can't tell at this point either.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 9:33:56 PM
At 4/20/2013 7:30:12 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
My pressure wasnt for a claim, I already said garnering claims at that point in time was useless.

TA, Tvellalott isnt even in the game?

I guess we start applying preassure to people and see who cracks.

Sui_Generis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2013 11:28:06 PM
So our roles are not finalized then, correct? The day phase has not yet officially begun?
"Mundus vult decipi--the world wants to be deceived. The truth is too complex and frightening; the taste for the truth is an acquired taste that few acquire."
-Martin Buber, I and Thou
thedebatekid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 12:04:32 AM
VTL BUDDA for Claim
How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of the tootsie pop? 1, 2, 3, *crunch* SON OF A !@#%!@#$!@$%$^^$$#%!!!

Expanse: Trapped in Reality
- Looking for Criticism
http://www.debate.org...
THEVIRUS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 12:12:43 AM
*facepalm* they are making me and lannan look like pros.
"So you want me to go to the judge with 'unit, corps, God, country'?" - A Few Good Men

"And the hits just keep on comin'." -A Few Good Men
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 12:18:52 AM
At 4/21/2013 12:04:32 AM, thedebatekid wrote:
VTL BUDDA for Claim

and that vote is for?
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 12:22:29 AM
At 4/20/2013 7:21:15 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 4/20/2013 6:58:51 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Thoughts on that people?

FT's discussion from the mafia PM does not preclude the non-existence of one. However, Ishy has essentially just said that he is retooling and starting over with a diff set-up. So we need to wait until he gives word on when he has resent the PM's

@Smithereens- Somebody voting you doesnt automatically make them scum. But either at the time you were a vanilla or a goon(essentially Mafia vanilla).

Also, what did you mean by, "Because I'm voting for you I must know who you are?"

If you are a goon, you can essentially linch anyone and be reasonable sure they are vanilla. I haven't given any indicator as to my affiliation, so a random hit on me is a bit of a scum tell.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 12:28:22 AM
At 4/21/2013 12:22:29 AM, Smithereens wrote:

If you are a goon, you can essentially linch anyone and be reasonable sure they are vanilla. I haven't given any indicator as to my affiliation, so a random hit on me is a bit of a scum tell.

This is untrue for multiple reasons:

1) Voting people is not a scum-tell, townies and mafia vote, and have reasons for doing so.
2) As mafia you cannot lynch people alone, it requires convincing townies to vote a person as well
3) Other people are voting players without indicators of affiliation, does this make all those players scum? No, of course not, because if that were true, then already half the people in this game would be mafia according to your logic.
4) Voting you in specific is not a reason why somebody should be considered mafia, that is OMGUS, and OMGUS fails a large majority of the time.
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion