Jump to topic:

The United States of DDO - 3

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 2:06:56 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
This is the third thread for the USDDO game.

First thread:
http://www.debate.org...

Second thread:

Hall of Records:

This thread marks the beginning of Imabench's third term as president.

Pretty funny that both games ended at almost exactly the same length. About 1,700.
Which, btw, makes this game about 1/4 the size of RAMP and be there in a much smaller percentage of the time. And it isn't even over yet. Geez. This was such a success.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 5:42:00 AM
say we start this with an infrastructure bill so who else wants to work on it
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 5:50:22 AM
Freedo I purposed the bill of rights and the worker's rights act.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 6:45:20 AM
At 4/25/2013 5:42:00 AM, cybertron1998 wrote:

The Leap forward committee is currently working on said bill. Any other ideas?

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 8:13:29 AM
At 4/25/2013 6:45:20 AM, lannan13 wrote:

work towards a space program
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 10:39:32 AM
For anybody who is reading this thread wondering what this game is about and whether or not you can join:

1) This game is basically a mirroring of the United States Congress where people/congressmen (you) propose bills, tweak them, vote on them, etc. The goal of the game is to build an ideal country strictly through the democratic process.

2) Anyone can join the game at anytime simply by saying in bold "I join the USoDDO Congress" If you join though PLEASE stay active, and if you dont plan on being active then dont join, inactive senators are perhaps the biggest problem in this game.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 11:01:28 AM
At 4/25/2013 10:57:37 AM, specracer wrote:
I join the USoDDO Congress

You joined the site 3 hours ago so I am immediately suspicious.

Are you sure youre going to always be active on the site, let alone in this game?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 11:01:30 AM
1 Imabench
2 Freedo
3 Buddamoose
4 Skepsikyma
5 Citrakayah
6 Lannan13
7 The Antidoter
8 THEVIRUS
9 Alwaysmorethenyou
10 Agent Orange
11 Cybertron1998
12 Albinobunny
13 Daytonanerd
14 Mustachero
15 specracer

Here's a list of active charicters.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 11:01:52 AM
At 4/25/2013 11:01:28 AM, imabench wrote:
At 4/25/2013 10:57:37 AM, specracer wrote:
I join the USoDDO Congress

You joined the site 3 hours ago so I am immediately suspicious.

Are you sure youre going to always be active on the site, let alone in this game?
X2

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 11:04:08 AM
Since we're waiting here's a National Banking bill.

Clause 1:
A National Banking Department (NBD) is to be established. This department shall be responsible for all banking institutions in the country and is to be backed up by the treasury when necessary.

Clause 2:
The head of the department is to be selected by the president.

Clause 3:
The department shall have all authority to levy interest rates and other fees for it's users.

Clause 4:
The department exists for the good of the people and is not required to maintain a profit. It serves to keep private funds safe and to offer lending services.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 11:10:01 AM
At 4/25/2013 11:09:15 AM, FrackJack wrote:
I'll replace someone.

No, you just join.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 11:11:41 AM
At 4/25/2013 11:04:08 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Clause 1:
A National Banking Department (NBD) is to be established. This department shall be responsible for all banking institutions in the country and is to be backed up by the treasury when necessary.

Cant we just give those powers to the United States of DDO Monetary Committee (established in the currency bill proposed by Daytona), rather then create an entire new agency?

Clause 2:

I dont create useless positions just to hand out to people who could end up letting the position going to their head. I learned that lesson with the states bill.

Clause 3:
The department shall have all authority to levy interest rates and other fees for it's users.

Thats it?

Clause 4:
The department exists for the good of the people and is not required to maintain a profit. It serves to keep private funds safe and to offer lending services.

This department is going to have to do a lot more before I am convinced that it needs to exist.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 11:19:45 AM
At 4/25/2013 11:11:41 AM, imabench wrote:
At 4/25/2013 11:04:08 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Clause 1:

Cant we just give those powers to the United States of DDO Monetary Committee (established in the currency bill proposed by Daytona), rather then create an entire new agency?

Clause 2:

I dont create useless positions just to hand out to people who could end up letting the position going to their head. I learned that lesson with the states bill.

Clause 3:

Thats it?

Clause 4:

This department is going to have to do a lot more before I am convinced that it needs to exist.

This is FREEDO's bill, he said it was ready, I'll let him defend it.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 11:42:43 AM
PRESIDENTIAL STATE OF THE UNION:

My fellow DDO'ers, thank you for your votes once again, and thank you for continuing to make this country stronger and better for its people and the world. Every law that we pass brings us a step closer to greatness, and with so many steps to go all we can do is make sure we continue to go in the right direction.

Once again, we still have a long way to go. We dont have a military yet, we have yet to put together an infrastructure bill of any kind, We still dont have a prison system, we dont have any laws on immigration...... Theres a lot to be done and a lot to be addressed. But I will keep to my tradition of not forcing an agenda onto Congress, and only desire that two issues receive the attention of Congress and then let Congress decide to legislate on what they feel is important. As of right now there is a 'Leap Forward' committee which I have high hopes for in terms of legislation being passed, whatever it may be focused on.

In the presidential campaign I claimed that the two biggest things I would like to address are a crime and punishment bill, and an infrastructure bill..... But I've had a change of heart on one of those issues.

I still fondly believe in having a crime and punishment bill on the books. A bill that would list the crimes someone could commit, establish a federally funded prison system that shall not be privatized, and outline the respective punishments that can be levied for crimes committed. As of right now, criminals are roaming free in the streets of the USoDDO because even though we have made it illegal to violate ones property, we have no place to put these criminals and no law that states how long they should be jailed or how much they should be fined. A country cannot succeed if criminals cannot be held responsible for their actions when everyone else is, which is why I would like to see a crime and punishment bill be put together as soon as possible so that we can make the USoDDO a safe place for people against criminals.

Before I said that this country needs an infrastructure bill. I still stand by that, and I see that Congress also agrees we need one, but I feel that since this is my last term as president I should address the one thing that continues to plague Congress.

Inactives.

One of the first bills to be proposed and later passed by Congress was a process to remove inactive senators, whose inactivity would cause bills with unanimous support to be brought to a grinding halt simply because people forget to do their job. The only way a Senator can be removed from the game is if they havent been online in a week, or have not voted on a single bill in an entire term. This however has not been enough to fight the problem against inactives, and every bill at one point or another has been held up by the inactivity of congressmen who dont care about the game.

I feel that there is enough concern from Congress about an infrastructure bill to no longer make it part of my presidency to emphasize one being made, which is why I had a change of heart and would like my second request to Congress focus on inactive senators reform.

There might be some people reading this right now thinking to themselves "Yeah inactives are a problem, but its not a big problem, is it?"

Well, consider this: Of all of the bills to be passed by Congress, ALL BUT ONE OF THEM (The very very first bill ever passed) Has ever been held up by inactives. Of the bills that have been held up by inactives, all but one of them had an approval rating of 75% or higher when they froze (the exception being the tax bill which still passed with 2/3rds majority)

How can Congress be efficient if bills that have 75% support from its people almost fail to be passed?

Thats why I am personally proposing a bill that would focus on three things:

1) Lower the days of account inactivity needed to be kicked from 7 days to 4

2) Create a new rule that if someone causes 3 bills to be held up due to inactive voting (meaning I have to go after them and tell them to come into the game and vote 3 different times) then they will be kicked from inactivity

And 3) Propose the lowering of the number of votes needed to pass a bill from 2/3rds majority (67%) to 3/5ths majority (60%)

Originally, the approval percentage needed to pass a bill was set at 66% to prevent a partisan super majority from ramming any bill it wants through Congress. An admirable and understandable precaution, but a precaution that i feel does more harm then good.

This game has been going on for a month now, which in political terms doesnt sound like much but in internet time a month is like 2 years. In that time we have not faced the problem of partisan voting and senators voting by party lines instead of what is the right thing to do. The biggest party in existence right now is the progressive party, which serves less as an actual party and more like a coffee house meant for Independents to hang out in. Meanwhile a Libertarian party continues to fail to exist, the brotherhood of Kyro is barely a memory, and the conservative party is starting to show no signs of life anymore.

The 67% requirement was meant to prevent against political parties from tearing the system apart through partisan voting. But political parties have posed no threat to this democracy to date, and instead the 67% requirement has only given inactives a tyrannical grip of power and forced bills to have upwards of 75% approval to overcome inactives just to be passed.

That is why in the inactive senator reform bill (which Ill propose myself in a bit), I propose the lowering of the % of votes needed to pass a bill from 67% down to 60%. We will never be able to make inactives a non-issue, but we shouldnt be giving them so much rope to hang all of us with it. A 60% bar will help limit the power inactives have in the game while still keeping in heart the concern that bills should be passed only if they have bipartisan support.

This congress has demonstrated that it is a close-knit community of Senators who wish to strive for the greater good rather then just Senators who only want to ensure that their team wins. This congress has demonstrated that doing what is right for the people of the USoDDO is and always will be more important then doing what they think would be cool for themselves. Let Congress continue to carry out its greatness by removing the shackles that inactives have in holding Congress back, let us continue to build a better country by working together to address what needs to be addressed, and let us continue to build a better Union.

THE STATE OF THE UNION IS STRONG, LETS KEEP IT THAT WAY!

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 11:50:28 AM
Great speech Mr. President.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 11:57:51 AM
1 Imabench
2 Freedo
3 Buddamoose
4 Skepsikyma
5 Citrakayah
6 Lannan13
7 The Antidoter
8 THEVIRUS
9 Alwaysmorethenyou
10 Agent Orange
11 Cybertron1998
12 Albinobunny
13 Daytonanerd
14 Mustachero
15 specracer
16. FrackJack

Mustachero
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 12:05:54 PM
Good speech. I just would like to now, not specifically, what type of crimes you would want to be on a federal level? Would you (or have you) created an agency for that? What about drugs, do we have laws on that yet? Weapons laws? I just want to get a scope the laws that regulate people`s choices that we have implemented so far.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 12:11:19 PM
At 4/25/2013 12:05:54 PM, Mustachero wrote:
Good speech. I just would like to now, not specifically, what type of crimes you would want to be on a federal level?

The crime and punishment bill would be to define what the government and states can make a crime and what sentences they are allowed to give for those crimes. The big federal crimes (really bad ones) would be murder, rape, grand theft, embezzlement, and that kind of stuff

Would you (or have you) created an agency for that?

Only if people feel that its necessary. If we dont really need an agency then why make one? Also it depends on what the agency is for, I can see why an agency for establishing and maintaining prisons might be warranted bit bot immediately anything else.

What about drugs, do we have laws on that yet?

Nope

Weapons laws?

Nope

I just want to get a scope the laws that regulate people`s choices that we have implemented so far.

The answer is that we havent done anything in that field yet. he first two terms have focused primarily on establishing the government, what it can do, and where it gets funded from. We are only now starting to get into the issues that actually affect people.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 12:11:34 PM
At 4/25/2013 12:10:41 PM, FrackJack wrote:
Aye to inactive Bill

I kinda have to write it first....

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 12:13:07 PM
At 4/25/2013 12:11:19 PM, imabench wrote:
At 4/25/2013 12:05:54 PM, Mustachero wrote:
Good speech. I just would like to now, not specifically, what type of crimes you would want to be on a federal level?

The crime and punishment bill would be to define what the government and states can make a crime and what sentences they are allowed to give for those crimes. The big federal crimes (really bad ones) would be murder, rape, grand theft, embezzlement, and that kind of stuff

Would you (or have you) created an agency for that?

Only if people feel that its necessary. If we dont really need an agency then why make one? Also it depends on what the agency is for, I can see why an agency for establishing and maintaining prisons might be warranted but not immediately anything else.

fixed it

What about drugs, do we have laws on that yet?

Nope

Weapons laws?

Nope

I just want to get a scope the laws that regulate people`s choices that we have implemented so far.

The answer is that we havent done anything in that field yet. he first two terms have focused primarily on establishing the government, what it can do, and where it gets funded from. We are only now starting to get into the issues that actually affect people.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 12:23:55 PM
The Overhaul of the Removal of Inactive Congressmen Bill

(T.O.R.I.C. for short)

Article 1) The number of days that an inactive congressmen's account must be offline in order to be kicked from Congress shall be lowered from 7 days to 4 days.

Article 2) If A congressmen causes 3 bills to be held up due to his/her inactive voting, meaning the president or others have to go after them and tell them to come into the game and vote 3 different times, then they will be kicked from inactivity. (Does not apply retroactively, meaning that this bill only takes into account inactivity from senators starting right now and ignores past inactivity)

Article 3) The number of votes needed for Congress to pass a bill shall be lowered from its original requirement of 2/3rds majority (67%) down to 3/5ths majority (60%)

With 16 people, 15 votes are available, meaning that 10 yay's are needed to pass the bill and 6 are needed to kill it

Yay: (0/10)
Nay: (0/5)

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 12:27:35 PM

Yay: (1/10) Lannan13
Nay: (0/6)

specracer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 1:02:43 PM

Yay: (2/10) Lannan13, specracer
Nay: (0/6)
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 1:18:32 PM
At 4/25/2013 5:50:22 AM, lannan13 wrote:

I'll change anything if you provide sources.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 1:23:58 PM
At 4/25/2013 6:45:20 AM, lannan13 wrote:

I don't think the committee is going to work. It's taking us forever to put things together and all the sections we're including are going to be voted on separately in the meantime. Like worker's rights. That was in there.

So, yeah, we're dropping the committee. Lets stick with individuals making their own bills.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2013 1:33:37 PM
At 4/25/2013 1:18:32 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 4/25/2013 5:50:22 AM, lannan13 wrote:

I'll change anything if you provide sources.

I can vouch for Lannan on this one, hediddraft the original version