Jump to topic:

Mafia Idea

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 8:07:41 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I had an idea for my next mafia game, but wanted some feedback on it first.

For my next game I was thinking about using a concept that has been used on epic mafia plenty of times.

What I would do is make like 15 new accounts (with the approval from airmax).

Every player signing up for the game would get a pm from me with one alternate accounts email and password, that they would play the game under.

Rules:

1. No one would be allowed to say who they are until the endgame.
2. After the game all accounts must be closed.

Purpose:

To distract the game away from judgements of known player skills, giving everyone a fresh start, and a chance to play a new style without worry of other players finding old games to point out contradictions in play to use as scum tells. Players can try new things they wouldn't dare try in a normal mafia game.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Lucky_Luciano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 8:11:15 AM
At 5/9/2013 8:07:41 AM, TUF wrote:
I had an idea for my next mafia game, but wanted some feedback on it first.

For my next game I was thinking about using a concept that has been used on epic mafia plenty of times.

What I would do is make like 15 new accounts (with the approval from airmax).

Every player signing up for the game would get a pm from me with one alternate accounts email and password, that they would play the game under.

Rules:

1. No one would be allowed to say who they are until the endgame.
2. After the game all accounts must be closed.

Purpose:

To distract the game away from judgements of known player skills, giving everyone a fresh start, and a chance to play a new style without worry of other players finding old games to point out contradictions in play to use as scum tells. Players can try new things they wouldn't dare try in a normal mafia game.

So how does this benefit me?

Joking aside, I like the idea. Bluesteel did it once.
"Age is not important" - Airmax 2014
"Australia... is that a place?" - Airmax 2014
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 8:12:07 AM
If you do it the moment the DDO prez elections are at the climax, you can slip away with breaking whatever rules as there is no enforcer watching you ;)
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 2:23:23 PM
Yes, bluesteel did it once, with approval.
It wasn't exactly a success as it was rampant with inactivity and lack of interest and people slipping up by posting on their real account.

Look on F-16's Mafia Archive, #44
http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 2:35:31 PM
Sounds good, but we do the accounts need to be deleted?
They could be perma-mafia accounts, with mods having access and changing passwords. There is no need for their deletion, since it is random who gets what account.

As far as players using their real accounts, that is sloppy on their end.
My work here is, finally, done.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 3:12:29 PM
This has been done before, but yes I'd like to play (or in the next mafia game in general... probably). Can someone please message me on Facebook and let me know when this or another game starts? Otherwise I won't come on; I haven't been on DDO in months but I'll have a lot of free time in the upcoming nights and I could go for some mafia.
President of DDO
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 3:35:29 PM
At 5/9/2013 3:12:29 PM, Danielle wrote:
This has been done before, but yes I'd like to play (or in the next mafia game in general... probably). Can someone please message me on Facebook and let me know when this or another game starts? Otherwise I won't come on; I haven't been on DDO in months but I'll have a lot of free time in the upcoming nights and I could go for some mafia.

I'll be sending an invite out this weekend.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 5:13:13 PM
At 5/9/2013 2:23:23 PM, drafterman wrote:
Yes, bluesteel did it once, with approval.
It wasn't exactly a success as it was rampant with inactivity and lack of interest and people slipping up by posting on their real account.

Look on F-16's Mafia Archive, #44
http://www.debate.org...

I just read over that game. Interesting. I wonder if it would be any different with new mafia players, and increased level of activity.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 5:14:14 PM
At 5/9/2013 2:35:31 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
They could be perma-mafia accounts, with mods having access and changing passwords. There is no need for their deletion, since it is random who gets what account.

I guess if people didn't use them to debate or vote, and only to post in the mafia games, then there's no problem with it.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 5:15:05 PM
At 5/9/2013 3:12:29 PM, Danielle wrote:

This wouldn't start for a while since I'm pretty far back on the list, but I will message you when it comes around.
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 6:13:29 PM
I wouldn't be against using the concept in my next game (either doctor who or philosophers III) but I'm not sure how the concept would mix with a seemingly regular theme.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 7:19:24 PM
At 5/9/2013 6:13:29 PM, Noumena wrote:
I wouldn't be against using the concept in my next game (either doctor who or philosophers III) but I'm not sure how the concept would mix with a seemingly regular theme.

Only one way to find out.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 10:20:00 AM
@ dratferman and TUF, message me on Facebook cuz sometimes I don't log into DDO for months at a time. I'll have some free time in the next 2 weeks though to play mafia. I hope a new game starts :)
President of DDO
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2013 11:58:21 PM
At 5/9/2013 5:14:14 PM, TUF wrote:
At 5/9/2013 2:35:31 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I guess if people didn't use them to debate or vote, and only to post in the mafia games, then there's no problem with it.

The inactivity problem was because people were all playing multiple games and didn't want to have to switch accounts multiple times per day.

Personally, I recommend people use multiple browsers (firefox for one account, and chrome for another).

I can't remember if mine was a theme game - if you did a theme with more complex mechanics, people might be more interested in trying unique strategies. Then again, everyone gets comfortable in their own play style. I think only logic really tried something new.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)