Jump to topic:

What is the appeal of people?

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 3:44:14 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am not sure which forum to put it in but since it has a few mafia references, I'll settle for the games forum although it really isn't a game. I've mentioned before that I am one of few people that has an avatar of a non-living object (for a long time). I also am probably the only person who ran as many as two mafia games where the characters were equipment rather than people.

I've seen others interpret war themed mafia as relating to people. Innomen once ran Soviet mafia involving major leaders and generals. Yet to me, war mafia would involve having pieces of military equipment as characters.

In general, I am fascinated by mechanical objects and non-living things. If I wanted something to "represent" me, I would most likely choose an object (like an aircraft, car, space shuttle), scenery (space scenery like supernovas, planets), or nature (like trees, waterfalls, waves, etc).

The only time I've seen inanimate things used in mafia games was HCP's Items mafia. No mod has ever used inanimate things more than once as characters.

Part of it has to do with my background. I definitely consider myself an engineering/technical person who likes working with things more than people sometimes.

Is there a relation between social extraversion/outgoingness and a natural gravitation towards people as opposed to concrete things? Would you say that people in technical professions and majors are less outgoing than people in other areas of society. What is it that makes someone gravitate towards things rather than people? Is it a personality trait which is inherent/learned? Should I post this in the personal forum?

On average, what is it that makes people in engineering/technical professions and majors to be less social on average than peoplein other majors and professions? Does this impact the way they play mafia? For instance would they be more inclined to use logic and facts than people of other fields?
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 4:26:40 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/14/2013 3:44:14 AM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I am not sure which forum to put it in but since it has a few mafia references, I'll settle for the games forum although it really isn't a game. I've mentioned before that I am one of few people that has an avatar of a non-living object (for a long time). I also am probably the only person who ran as many as two mafia games where the characters were equipment rather than people.

I've seen others interpret war themed mafia as relating to people. Innomen once ran Soviet mafia involving major leaders and generals. Yet to me, war mafia would involve having pieces of military equipment as characters.

In general, I am fascinated by mechanical objects and non-living things. If I wanted something to "represent" me, I would most likely choose an object (like an aircraft, car, space shuttle), scenery (space scenery like supernovas, planets), or nature (like trees, waterfalls, waves, etc).

The only time I've seen inanimate things used in mafia games was HCP's Items mafia. No mod has ever used inanimate things more than once as characters.

Part of it has to do with my background. I definitely consider myself an engineering/technical person who likes working with things more than people sometimes.

Is there a relation between social extraversion/outgoingness and a natural gravitation towards people as opposed to concrete things? Would you say that people in technical professions and majors are less outgoing than people in other areas of society. What is it that makes someone gravitate towards things rather than people? Is it a personality trait which is inherent/learned? Should I post this in the personal forum?

On average, what is it that makes people in engineering/technical professions and majors to be less social on average than peoplein other majors and professions? Does this impact the way they play mafia? For instance would they be more inclined to use logic and facts than people of other fields?

Coincidently, I have been learning about something similar in Psychology classes. Perceptual set is where you see something and interpret that as a certain something based on various factors, including social-economic status, motivation, emotional state, etc.

With your desire to make all the characters inanimate objects, I would definitely make the connection with your job as being a contributing factor for merging things you enjoy into other things you enjoy.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...