Jump to topic:

Can we keep it to one hydra per game?

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2013 7:58:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I think only two players who are semi inactive and don't want to be replaced should share a hyrda together. But I think hdyras are unbalancing and confusing.

As town, if a hydra is killed, two experienced players are lost as a result, since hydras tend to be two good players.

Also they often posts contradicting bits of anaylsis. I may think one part of the hyrda is scummy, while the other part is town. If that hydra is town, then he is being screwed by his buddy.

Anyways, if the mafia take out all town hydras, it's that much easier for them to take over the game.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
FlippantBuoyancy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2013 9:26:56 PM
I think hydras are great. For players who are inactive or don't have time to post consistently, a hydra can make sure that that player slot posts consistently. I would much prefer to play with TV, for example, as a hydra than a solo player. Hydras also make the game more fun, as you get to play your reads off someone who you respect and know with certainty is the same affiliation as you, supposing it is a town hydra. I haven't played as scum yet but I see all sorts of ways to use the hydra mechanic to wreak havoc on the town. So yes, it might make a player slot stronger than usual, but I don't think it unbalances the game to the degree you imagine, and it has lots of pros to it as well. You have to keep in mind, hydras only have one vote. They have another pair of eyes but that doesn't mean they will necessarily play better because of it. Sometimes, they may even play worse because of the extra eye.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2013 9:29:36 PM
At 5/15/2013 9:26:56 PM, FlippantBuoyancy wrote:
I think hydras are great. For players who are inactive or don't have time to post consistently, a hydra can make sure that that player slot posts consistently. I would much prefer to play with TV, for example, as a hydra than a solo player. Hydras also make the game more fun, as you get to play your reads off someone who you respect and know with certainty is the same affiliation as you, supposing it is a town hydra. I haven't played as scum yet but I see all sorts of ways to use the hydra mechanic to wreak havoc on the town. So yes, it might make a player slot stronger than usual, but I don't think it unbalances the game to the degree you imagine, and it has lots of pros to it as well. You have to keep in mind, hydras only have one vote. They have another pair of eyes but that doesn't mean they will necessarily play better because of it. Sometimes, they may even play worse because of the extra eye.

This was me, sorry. One problem with hydras though is forgetting to switch accounts.
Idiot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2013 9:43:15 PM

They make for psychological monstrosities though. And then game is often put forward as educational and, well, then they're not, right? Maybe you might think oh cool a ridiculously hard puzzle though...
Idiot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2013 9:49:27 PM
They might be educational if you were wondering how married couples made decisions or if they're awesome because they're like checks on each other or some sh*t
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2013 8:06:35 AM
I haven't played as scum yet but I see all sorts of ways to use the hydra mechanic to wreak havoc on the town.

WIFOM.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2013 8:08:32 AM

1. Mafia can easily eliminate top players by targetting hydras.

2. Hyrdas are good mis-lynch targets because of the different behavioral reads (and we all know town likes to lynch off of contradictions).

3. Less active players are in the game when hydras start to get picked off, which could lead a very boring game.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2013 9:47:12 AM
I have to agree with TUF that we need a limit on the hydras.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
tulle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2013 11:42:21 AM
Maikuru and I can't play in the same game, so either one of us will have to give up playing if we both want to play, or we have to play as a hydra.
yang.
FlippantBuoyancy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2013 11:43:08 AM
At 5/16/2013 11:42:21 AM, tulle wrote:
Maikuru and I can't play in the same game, so either one of us will have to give up playing if we both want to play, or we have to play as a hydra.

Another good reason to allow hydras.