AQ Mafia: Day Phase 1

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 8:28:28 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Just a few notes:

1. I did not send out role justifications in most cases. This was intentional: I want to make the game a little more difficult and I want you to research your characters on Quickipedia.

2. I promise to be an active mod, but I will not be super-active because I will be fairly busy this summer preparing for the MCAT as well as doing work. I will make sure that I am online several times a day, but I cannot promise to provide updates every 10 minutes or whatever. Please help me out by keeping track of votecounts as well as a list of players that have not posted.

3. If you do not post in any given DP or do not provide me with night actions within 48 hours, I will replace you immediately.

4. I will not be writing stories for the OP. Instead, I will post excerpts from the book. I thought this excerpt from the 4th book was ok for opening the game:

Between cities, the Automagicka was a black ribbon that folded space beneath the wheels of the vehicles that traveled upon it and made distances impossibly short. But the long, winding mountain road that led to the Invisible Bridge was an ordinary Muggle highway, and when the Charmbridge bus ascended it, everyone began packing up games, food, books, and whatever else they had spread on their tables or scattered in the aisle. A steady, nervous drone came from the sixth graders as they approached their destination. This would be their first time across the Invisible Bridge, and their first sight of Charmbridge Academy.

Alexandra and David, having been across the Invisible Bridge many times now, continued their chess game. When they reached the high bluff at the top of the mountain road, David had almost checkmated her.

"Too bad we don't have time to finish," Alexandra said.

David grinned. "This is a restorable chess set. I bought it at Grundy's. We can finish later."

Dylan high-fived David. "Owned!"

Alexandra gathered her things. "Like you even know how to play chess."

"I know how," Dylan said.

"You suck," David said.

While the boys bantered, Alexandra got off the bus, carrying Charlie's cage in one hand and Nigel's in the other. The straps of her backpack were cinched around her shoulders, and she had her broom awkwardly tucked under one arm.

The bus was parked at a turn-off overlooking a long, winding river valley that stretched into the distance north and south. Before them was a bluff terminating in a steep, vertical cliff. It was nearly a mile to the rocky red cliffs on the other side of the valley, and there was nothing between them but the deep chasm, with the tree-lined river half a mile below. It was this valley that kept Muggles away from Charmbridge Academy.

The Charmbridge students lined up at the edge of the cliff. The brand new sixth graders, especially the Muggle-borns, eyed the gap nervously. Some of them looked at Alexandra. She was one of only a handful of students carrying a broom, and most of the others were senior chaperones.

"You may not fly across the valley, Miss Quick," Mrs. Speaks told her. "You have to walk across the Invisible Bridge like everyone else."

"I know," Alexandra said. Belatedly, she added, "Ma'am."

Some of the sixth graders gasped as older students began stepping off the cliff and walking across the valley as if on air.

"Now, it's perfectly safe," Mrs. Speaks said to the nervous eleven-year-olds. "The Invisible Bridge is charmed against wind, rain, snow, and other weather conditions, and there has never been " err, almost never " that is, no one has ever accidentally slipped off."

As Alexandra approached the bridge, she saw William Killmond standing far to the rear, sweating a little. He had crossed the bridge several times last year, but it obviously still made him anxious.

"C'mon, William," she said. "Help me carry my broom."

The seventh grader blinked at her, then dashed forward ahead of his classmates. "Yes, ma'am!"

"Don't call me that. This isn't JROC." She lifted her arm and allowed him to take her broom from her. "Don't drop it or I'll throw you after it."

He gulped and his chubby fingers clenched the broomstick in a death grip. Behind her, David and Dylan grinned.

William was obviously making an effort not to look down as they strode across the Invisible Bridge. Alexandra was unbothered by the height. She had fallen from the Invisible Bridge. She wasn't afraid of the bridge, but she was always just a little bit wary while crossing it. Behind her, David " who had fallen with her " was walking with exaggerated ease.

"Check it out, some sixth grader is crying like a baby," Dylan said, looking back at the Muggle side of the valley where the bus and the younger students were.

William flushed, and Alexandra said, "Shut up, Dylan."

"What?" Dylan said, and then David said, "Dang, that's a lotta crows. Friends of yours, Charlie?"

"Charlie's a raven, not a crow," Charlie said from the cage in Alexandra's hand. Alexandra looked where David was indicating. There was indeed an immense flock of crows pouring out of the trees at the far side of the valley, not far from where the Invisible Bridge touched the opposite cliff.

"That is a lot of crows," Dylan said.

The crows continued to stream out of the forest like a great black tide. By now the noise of their cawing and flapping wings was drowning out conversations on the bridge, and everyone was staring at them.

Ravens and crows were considered unlucky birds in the wizarding world. Whenever crows gathered, superstitious witches and wizards told ridiculous stories about Dark Arts and warlocks. Alexandra's raven familiar (and her father's) hadn't helped her reputation.

"They're, uh, coming this way," William said.

"Crows are harmless," Alexandra said.

"Wicked, wicked!" Charlie squawked, suddenly flapping hard enough to swing the cage back and forth in Alexandra's hand.

"You're not helping, Charlie," she said.

"They are coming this way," David said.

Alexandra realized with horror that they were. From where she stood, midway across the Invisible Bridge, it was as if a maelstrom of beaks and claws and black feathers were reaching out to engulf her. The crows, in a vast, dark multitude, came screeching and cawing and shrieking directly at her.

The older students ahead of them on the bridge ducked and cowered as the birds swarmed around them, but the crows ignored them. Alexandra looked behind her. It was all younger kids, except for David and Dylan at her back.

Then the crows were upon her, their beaks and talons slashing and stabbing. Alexandra stumbled back and dropped into a crouch. Her instinct was to hold up her arms to protect her face, but she was still holding Charlie's and Nigel's cages, so she put her head between her knees instead, and felt beaks stabbing her hands and claws tearing at her neck and hair. The beating of wings was a physical force that almost knocked her over, and then the feathery horde was past her, except for a few stragglers who flapped against her. She rose on shaky feet as the sinister flock turned as one in the air high above the valley, preparing to engulf her again.

David and Dylan had also acquired a few scratches, and William's face was pale beneath bright red gouges across his cheek and forehead.

Alexandra dropped her familiars' cages in front of the short, round boy, and snatched her broom out of his hands.

"Take Charlie and Nigel," she said to him. He stared at her as the beating of wings once more began to drown out words. "Do it!"

He grabbed the cages, looking stunned and terrified.

Someone was yelling "Don't panic!" There were teachers and seniors casting Shield Charms at both ends of the bridge, but where Alexandra stood, they were unprotected.

"Run!" she yelled. "All of you!"

"We can't leave you!" David said. Dylan had already started running.

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 8:29:41 PM
Alexandra gave David a shove toward William. "I said run!" Then the birds were upon her again. She held up her arms to protect her face. Beaks and claws slashed her all over and pulled her hair. There were screams and cries from either end of the bridge, but Alexandra was at the center of the attacking crows, and this time, they weren't passing her by and circling around. She was beset by them, and they almost took her off her feet. If they didn't peck her to death, they might suffocate her in their midst.

Blind and bleeding, she leaped off the bridge with crows clutching her clothes and hair.

List of Living Players:

1. TUF
2. drafterman
3. TheAntidoter
4. FrackJack
5. Zaradi
6. Budda
7. Lucky
8. Rocket
9. Johnny
10. FourTrouble
11. Yraelz
12. Smithereens
13. lannan13
14. Noumena
15. Khaos_Mage (as long as mages don't outrank paladins)
Lucky_Luciano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 8:30:07 PM
VTL... Oh sh!t there's no players list. WHAT DO I DO? VTL Lucky.
"Age is not important" - Airmax 2014
"Australia... is that a place?" - Airmax 2014
Lucky_Luciano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 8:30:40 PM
At 5/18/2013 8:29:41 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Alexandra gave David a shove toward William. "I said run!" Then the birds were upon her again. She held up her arms to protect her face. Beaks and claws slashed her all over and pulled her hair. There were screams and cries from either end of the bridge, but Alexandra was at the center of the attacking crows, and this time, they weren't passing her by and circling around. She was beset by them, and they almost took her off her feet. If they didn't peck her to death, they might suffocate her in their midst.

Blind and bleeding, she leaped off the bridge with crows clutching her clothes and hair.

List of Living Players:

1. TUF
2. drafterman
3. TheAntidoter
4. FrackJack
5. Zaradi
6. Budda
7. Lucky
8. Rocket
9. Johnny
10. FourTrouble
11. Yraelz
12. Smithereens
13. lannan13
14. Noumena
15. Khaos_Mage (as long as mages don't outrank paladins)

Jk. Unvote. VTL FT because it's FT. Nobody wants to deal with his hissy fit about claiming later, so let's get it over with now.
Lucky_Luciano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 8:41:51 PM
At 5/18/2013 8:40:09 PM, drafterman wrote:
Unvote. VTL Lucky You aren't 100% confirmed yet.

Well I don't quite know how to respond to that one...
LargeFarva
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 9:41:27 PM
VTL Khaos Mage for not being an affliction warlock, everybody knows DoTs are better

-Buddamoose
Leojm & Buddamoose

"I don't want a large farva, I want a god dam liter o' cola"
LargeFarva
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 9:42:21 PM
At 5/18/2013 8:41:51 PM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:
At 5/18/2013 8:40:09 PM, drafterman wrote:
Unvote. VTL Lucky You aren't 100% confirmed yet.

Well I don't quite know how to respond to that one...

Hey your the one that said it should be policy that we lynch you unless you're 100% confirmed, I guess Drafters just following your advice
Leojm & Buddamoose

"I don't want a large farva, I want a god dam liter o' cola"
FlippantBuoyancy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 10:02:53 PM
I actually was planning on claiming early but it turns out royal forgot to send me my role PM. I'm now confirmed town. Thanks royal.
FlippantBuoyancy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 10:03:09 PM
At 5/18/2013 10:02:53 PM, FlippantBuoyancy wrote:
I actually was planning on claiming early but it turns out royal forgot to send me my role PM. I'm now confirmed town. Thanks royal.

Fvck, nvm wrong account.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 10:04:29 PM
OH sh!t, sorry guys, didn't realize I was on the wrong acc. It turns out I did receive my role. I'm town as fvck, in fact I even got the word "Innocent" in my character name.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 10:06:51 PM
Yraelz, I propose we buddy up and, if you are mafia, that you don't night-kill me and I'll promise not to lynch you until LYLO. Just cause, you know we are hydra buddies, so we should work together.

With that out of the way, let's lynch some scum. drafter has the right idea.

VTL Lucky
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 11:53:25 PM
I am nearly absolutely certain that there is a cop in this game, when it comes time for me to reveal why I know this, I will point back to this message in DP1 to prove that I am town.

Other than that, I'm tossing up between thinking that Royal actually sent us really short role pm's to make the game hard vs being really lazy. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and think the former.

good luck, have fun, etc.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Yraelz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 1:16:14 AM
At 5/18/2013 10:06:51 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
Yraelz, I propose we buddy up and, if you are mafia, that you don't night-kill me and I'll promise not to lynch you until LYLO. Just cause, you know we are hydra buddies, so we should work together.

With that out of the way, let's lynch some scum. drafter has the right idea.

VTL Lucky

Definitely, this sounds like a solid plan. Let's actually make our own rules for this game. If you and I survive we will call it a team FlippantBuoyancy victory.

In the meantime, I'm going to bandwagon really hard and uh... VTL Lucky for an ambiguous reason (to be justified later -- when I'm in a tight spot).
Yraelz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 1:17:17 AM
I'll be way more active in this game tomorrow morning. I spent the entire day helping a friend move, so bed time or a bit.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 1:21:38 AM
At 5/19/2013 1:19:00 AM, Yraelz wrote:
For good measure, let me drop in this semi-ambiguous link: https://en.wikipedia.org...

It's part of my new fool-proof antilynchable strat.

legitimately rofl'd upon seeing this
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 4:58:34 AM
At 5/18/2013 9:41:27 PM, LargeFarva wrote:
VTL Khaos Mage for not being an affliction warlock, everybody knows DoTs are better

-Buddamoose

Don't lynch me bro.
I am working at it. You have no idea how hard it is to rise up the ranks of wizardry. I've been an apprentice for, like, 200 years.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 5:01:19 AM
At 5/19/2013 1:19:00 AM, Yraelz wrote:
For good measure, let me drop in this semi-ambiguous link: https://en.wikipedia.org...

It's part of my new fool-proof antilynchable strat.

I woke up the Mrs. laughing.
Well played.
My work here is, finally, done.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 5:08:01 AM
At 5/18/2013 10:02:53 PM, FlippantBuoyancy wrote:

You signed up under FT, not your hydra.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 5:08:52 AM
At 5/18/2013 11:53:25 PM, Smithereens wrote:
I am nearly absolutely certain that there is a cop in this game, when it comes time for me to reveal why I know this, I will point back to this message in DP1 to prove that I am town.

Other than that, I'm tossing up between thinking that Royal actually sent us really short role pm's to make the game hard vs being really lazy. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and think the former.

Combination of both, actually :p
good luck, have fun, etc.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 5:10:05 AM
About to Visit the Lands Beyond
1. Lucky (3/8)-Drafterman, FT, Yraelz
2. FT (1/8)-Lucky
3. Khaos (1/8)-LargeFarva
4. TUF (1/8)-Smithreens
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 5:51:00 AM
At 5/19/2013 5:11:30 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Nobody is posting :( :( :(

Hi, people!

Lol that's probably due to the fact that most of them are fast asleep.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227