Jump to topic:

USDDO Supreme Court Case #3: USDDO vs. Lannan

daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 4:25:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Hello everybody. This is the 3rd Supreme Court Case in the USDDO Game. As a reminder, only the Supreme Curt Judges, Lannan, Drafterman(Prosecution attorney), and myself may speak in this thread. Anyone else who speaks in this thread could be banned for the game for a week.

This case is a gubernatorial impeachment trial. If Lannan is found to be guilty, his governorship is revoked, and he will be banned from ever holding the position of governor. It is up to the judges of the Supreme Court to determine if the laws passed by Lannan during his tenure as governor of the State of News will also be revoked or not. The judges of the Supreme Court are...

1. Buddamoose
2. FREEDO
3. Imabench (Temporary replacement for Agent_Orange)
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 4:37:31 PM
Governor Lannan13, you have previously stated that you will plea guilty to the charges agains you, and accept your impeachment without any need for a full trial. If you still intend to do this please do so now.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 4:50:13 PM
At 5/19/2013 4:40:40 PM, FREEDO wrote:
It would still be necessary to give a full verdict on the charges.

No sh't sherlock, but if he pleads guilty we dont need either side to present any sort of case. We can simply move straight to verdict and sentencing
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 4:55:48 PM
At 5/19/2013 4:37:31 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
Governor Lannan13, you have previously stated that you will plea guilty to the charges agains you, and accept your impeachment without any need for a full trial. If you still intend to do this please do so now.

It would depend on all the charges.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 5:05:22 PM
At 5/19/2013 4:55:48 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Well whatever the charges are is irrelevant to the fact that the sole punishment i see this court having the authority to deal out, being removal of you from your office as governor.
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 5:09:12 PM
At 5/19/2013 5:05:22 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

Well whatever the charges are is irrelevant to the fact that the sole punishment i see this court having the authority to deal out, being removal of you from your office as governor.

I agree that I should at least be suspended from being govenor for a long period of time, but if a life-time bann is in order than I'll bow my head in shame and take my punishment like a man.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 5:12:15 PM
At 5/19/2013 5:09:12 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 5/19/2013 5:05:22 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

I agree that I should at least be suspended from being govenor for a long period of time, but if a life-time bann is in order than I'll bow my head in shame and take my punishment like a man.

I must remind you that being guilty in an impeachment trial is an automatic life-long ban.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 5:18:08 PM
At 5/19/2013 5:12:15 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

I must remind you that being guilty in an impeachment trial is an automatic life-long ban.

From just the office of governor correct?
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 5:29:07 PM
At 5/19/2013 5:18:08 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

Correct, the motion to start an impeachment trial was started as impeachment from governorship. Therefore, this will only be a ban from governorship.

I also must remind the judges that you are also deciding on if the laws passed by Lannan during his tenure as governor of the State of News will also be revoked.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 6:29:09 PM
At 5/19/2013 5:29:07 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
At 5/19/2013 5:18:08 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

Correct, the motion to start an impeachment trial was started as impeachment from governorship. Therefore, this will only be a ban from governorship.

I also must remind the judges that you are also deciding on if the laws passed by Lannan during his tenure as governor of the State of News will also be revoked.

^ I believe they should and that those affected by said laws be given fair compensation
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 7:04:23 PM
At 5/19/2013 6:29:09 PM, imabench wrote:

^ I believe they should and that those affected by said laws be given fair compensation

And for the Supreme Court to award such compensation is outside the bounds of its authority. If we rule that said laws are unconstitutional/illegal then lesser courts will determine that.

Need I remind you all that the Supreme Court deals strictly with Constitutionality/Legality of laws, and impeachment proceedings.
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 7:10:26 PM
At 5/19/2013 7:04:23 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

And for the Supreme Court to award such compensation is outside the bounds of its authority. If we rule that said laws are unconstitutional/illegal then lesser courts will determine that.

Need I remind you all that the Supreme Court deals strictly with Constitutionality/Legality of laws, and impeachment proceedings.

The Supreme Court in this case is only authorizing for compensation to be given for those affected by the laws. We are not determining how much compensation is to be given, we are only ruling that compensation is owed, and that is still within the poer of the Supreme Court
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 7:12:57 PM
At 5/19/2013 7:10:26 PM, imabench wrote:
At 5/19/2013 7:04:23 PM, Buddamoose wrote:

The Supreme Court in this case is only authorizing for compensation to be given for those affected by the laws. We are not determining how much compensation is to be given, we are only ruling that compensation is owed, and that is still within the poer of the Supreme Court

Ok, I see what you mean, fair enough, I just want to make sure this court is not overstepping its boundaries and making broad overreaches of the power already in its possession
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2013 7:24:22 PM

These are the charges against you:
- Abuse of power
- Passing State laws that are in direct violation of the federal laws of the USoDDO
- Continuing to enforce those laws even though they were in clear violation of federal laws
- Blatant violation of the rights of people within the State of News regarding freedom of religion, freedom from cruel and unusual punishment, etc.
- Threatening Civil War against another state that made a single careless action
- Attempting to trade states with another Governor who had just entered the game

In accordance with Article 5 of the Governor Impeachment Bill, If found guilty of the charges against you, you are to be banned from being a governor for life.

In addition to the lifelong ban from being governor, the Supreme Court is also to determine whether or not those who have been negatively affected by the crimes passed in your administration are to be given fair compensation for their suffering.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 12:14:48 PM
At 5/19/2013 7:24:22 PM, imabench wrote:

These are the charges against you:
- Abuse of power
- Passing State laws that are in direct violation of the federal laws of the USoDDO
- Continuing to enforce those laws even though they were in clear violation of federal laws
- Blatant violation of the rights of people within the State of News regarding freedom of religion, freedom from cruel and unusual punishment, etc.
- Threatening Civil War against another state that made a single careless action
- Attempting to trade states with another Governor who had just entered the game

In accordance with Article 5 of the Governor Impeachment Bill, If found guilty of the charges against you, you are to be banned from being a governor for life.

In addition to the lifelong ban from being governor, the Supreme Court is also to determine whether or not those who have been negatively affected by the crimes passed in your administration are to be given fair compensation for their suffering.

Guilty as charged.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 2:42:01 PM
Lannan has plead guilty to all charges.

If the true Supreme Court Judges have no further requests or questions, then I believe the Court shall rule in favor of the USoDDO and enforce the following:

1) The removal and banning of Lannan from being a state governor,
2) That all laws passed under his administration are to be struck null and void,
3) That those negatively affected by the laws he enacted and enforced are to be granted due compensation.

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2013 6:01:55 PM
At 5/20/2013 2:42:01 PM, imabench wrote:
Lannan has plead guilty to all charges.

If the true Supreme Court Judges have no further requests or questions, then I believe the Court shall rule in favor of the USoDDO and enforce the following:

1) The removal and banning of Lannan from being a state governor,
2) That all laws passed under his administration are to be struck null and void,
3) That those negatively affected by the laws he enacted and enforced are to be granted due compensation.

I second this ruling.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 11:11:27 AM
I third the ruling
-Airmax1227

"Was he the sun?"

-Kazekirion
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2013 9:13:09 PM
Then it is settled. Lannan is no longer allowed to ever be a governor, all laws passed in his state during his governorship have been revoked, and all victims will be duly compensated.

This trial is over.
#FeeltheFreezerBern