Jump to topic:

Why do people look down on gaming?

Spenser4Hire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2013 11:29:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have noticed that a lot of people seem to have a negative reaction to playing video games. I don't know why that a lot of people seem to look down on gaming... yet, reading, watching tv, or watching movies is seen as more "productive". To me: playing games and reading and watching movies are all the same. Often I would hear how gaming is a "waste of time" or a "pointless activity" or "unproducitve". Another quote I hear a lot is "when you are an adult there should be more on your mind than video games"... yeah, like shopping, obsessing over American Idol results, doing Fantasy Football. To me Fantasy Football is the same as video games or tabletop RPGs. Why is it that video games are treated differently than a lot of other entertainment mediums?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 4:41:21 AM
At 5/28/2013 11:29:16 PM, Spenser4Hire wrote:
I have noticed that a lot of people seem to have a negative reaction to playing video games. I don't know why that a lot of people seem to look down on gaming... yet, reading, watching tv, or watching movies is seen as more "productive". To me: playing games and reading and watching movies are all the same. Often I would hear how gaming is a "waste of time" or a "pointless activity" or "unproducitve". Another quote I hear a lot is "when you are an adult there should be more on your mind than video games"... yeah, like shopping, obsessing over American Idol results, doing Fantasy Football. To me Fantasy Football is the same as video games or tabletop RPGs. Why is it that video games are treated differently than a lot of other entertainment mediums?

It's not treated different.
It is looked down on those who don't play.
Just like those who don't follow sports are looked down on by those who do.
Just like those who follow/debate politics are looked down by those who don't.
My work here is, finally, done.
Sower4GS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 10:12:34 AM
It sucks you eyeballs out of your head and turns your brain into orange goo, you have to stop up the orifices on your head to keep what is left of your noodle in, hard thing to look at - : (
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 5:12:55 PM
At 5/29/2013 10:12:34 AM, Sower4GS wrote:
It sucks you eyeballs out of your head and turns your brain into orange goo, you have to stop up the orifices on your head to keep what is left of your noodle in, hard thing to look at - : (

yet video games have done none of that to me
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2013 7:24:52 PM
Because video gaming is a late arriver in the world of entertainment, and people naturally dislike new things. People used to be horrified at the prospect of movies replacing opera.
0x5f3759df