Jump to topic:

Multiple Lives in Mafia

Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 7:20:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I hosted a couple of games with multiple lives, and it wasn't because of low number of players. It didn't go too bad.

Any thoughts?
0x5f3759df
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 7:20:50 PM
At 6/3/2013 7:20:00 PM, Bullish wrote:
I hosted a couple of games with multiple lives, and it wasn't because of low number of players. It didn't go too bad.

Any thoughts?

You'll have to explain this mechanic in more detail, first.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 7:33:21 PM
At 6/3/2013 7:20:50 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 6/3/2013 7:20:00 PM, Bullish wrote:

Any thoughts?

You'll have to explain this mechanic in more detail, first.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 7:55:11 PM
Detail:

All players in the game has multiple lives. I used 2 lives per person. The number of players in that specific case was 17, 13 Town and 4 Mafia. I used this so the game would last longer. Town has Cop, Vig, and Doctor, Mafia has Godfather and Assassin; the Assassin makes a kill in addition to the Night Murder, so Mafia could do 2 kills per night. By day 5, I would allow double Lynching and double Night Murder by Mafia. The Lynch targets must be different, as for Murders.

Upon first death, nothing would happen. Upon the second kill, or final death, that player's full details are revealed.

These players are incredibly noob.

I'm not sure if multiple lives in conventional, because I have never seen it in a pro game that has enough people. I just want to know if there is some fatal flaw to multiple lives that I do not see that makes it obsolete.
0x5f3759df
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 8:00:57 PM
Meh. Don't really see the point. There aren't really any complaints about games being too short, so no reason to artificially extend them. The lives delays validation of reads since you basically have to kill a person twice to see their affiliation. I feel this would encourage inactivity because you have to put in twice as much work for the same outcome.

Seems like the beginning part of the game would be very slow with not much happening as lives are used up then the end would be really phase and chaotic as the double kills take out everyone in a few phases.
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2013 8:20:42 PM
At 6/3/2013 8:00:57 PM, drafterman wrote:
Meh. Don't really see the point. There aren't really any complaints about games being too short, so no reason to artificially extend them. The lives delays validation of reads since you basically have to kill a person twice to see their affiliation. I feel this would encourage inactivity because you have to put in twice as much work for the same outcome.

Seems like the beginning part of the game would be very slow with not much happening as lives are used up then the end would be really phase and chaotic as the double kills take out everyone in a few phases.

That's mostly how it happens.

Whoever get's Lynched on Day 1 (usually the first person to say something remotely suspicious) dies in Night 1 every time. The players usually like to just take both of someone's lives on consecutive Days or Nights. After that it becomes sluggish. Then the end part of the game is incredibly intense; it's not chaotic, I think it's more fun than the regular ending phases because more people are alive.

I probably should have said that I didn't just make multiple lives so it would last longer. There are many other reasons. I tried to make it so people could all die at once toward the end of the game, so the people who die at the beginning wouldn't have to wait too long. That didn't seem to work. I also wanted more Day phases so people could discuss more. This worked. I also wanted people to have multiple chances of surviving, but that didn't work too well for the killers.
0x5f3759df