Jump to topic:

Mass Character Age Claim DP1

Yraelz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2013 4:16:16 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I want to argue this position outside of the current games happening.

My stance is that having the town mass age claim their character on DP1 puts severe strategic limitations on the mafia. What I mean is something like:

"My character's age is 150."

I think this is true for a few reasons:

1. It forces the mafia to identify a character long before they know what role they might need to claim. From a mafia perspective it is advantageous to be able to constantly change your fake character claim. However, typing out the characters age in early DP1 cements the character you must claim. This is especially terrible, in a typical game, if you get counter claimed as mafia because it ensures a 1:1 trade with no way out of it.

2. If mafia try to get out of it and claim a different character (who doesn't have the same age) then they just get lynched.

3. The strategy has no adverse affect on the town. In some games select characters are targets for other's win conditions. Claiming the age of your character in early DP1 does nothing to give the mafia or TP additional information. But it does limit their strategic options.

Obviously this analysis doesn't need to be age. For instance, you could claim a trait that only your character has. Or, as I like to do, you could make an impossible anagram and unscramble it later.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2013 6:21:53 PM
At 6/5/2013 4:16:16 PM, Yraelz wrote:

My stance is that having the town mass age claim their character on DP1 puts severe strategic limitations on the mafia. What I mean is something like:

Mafia: MY characters arge is 20.
Town: Okay, next.
Mafia: Mwahaha

I would rather have:

Mafia: My character is Toby from the Labyrinth
Next Dp
Mafia: My role is cop
Town: how the fvck is Toby a cop?
Lynches a mafia member.

1. It forces the mafia to identify a character long before they know what role they might need to claim. From a mafia perspective it is advantageous to be able to constantly change your fake character claim. However, typing out the characters age in early DP1 cements the character you must claim. This is especially terrible, in a typical game, if you get counter claimed as mafia because it ensures a 1:1 trade with no way out of it.

Just giving a character age gives the mafia a ton off loopholes to work with. Character claiming majorly fvcks them up later if they try to fake claim a role that doesn't make sense with their character. Giving just an age, or one defining quality, allows players to work with whatever they want in fake claiming especially in a concept like F-16's.

2. If mafia try to get out of it and claim a different character (who doesn't have the same age) then they just get lynched.

Why on earth would a mafia member do that? Seriously, you think they would at least be smart enough remember the age they claimed. In a character claim situation, they have to come up with a role that could potentially get CC'ed, or have a horrible link to their character. Not only that, but if they do have a role claim that makes sense with their character claim, they will be screwed when their night actions don't line up with their claim.

3. The strategy has no adverse affect on the town. In some games select characters are targets for other's win conditions. Claiming the age of your character in early DP1 does nothing to give the mafia or TP additional information. But it does limit their strategic options.

It doesn't do anything for the town either. Character claiming at least gives us a basis on how to start determining a players level of scumminess based on their character, and role link.

Obviously this analysis doesn't need to be age. For instance, you could claim a trait that only your character has. Or, as I like to do, you could make an impossible anagram and unscramble it later.

Or you could be mafia, fvcking with the town, to make yourself look confirmed, and if a townie is naive enough to buy it, then they just fvcked themselves.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2013 9:20:19 PM
I think that it will work so long as it is only used to out scum, and passing it doesn't confirm a player as town.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
Yraelz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2013 1:02:37 AM
At 6/5/2013 6:21:53 PM, TUF wrote:

I would rather have:

Mafia: My character is Toby from the Labyrinth
Next Dp
Mafia: My role is cop
Town: how the fvck is Toby a cop?
Lynches a mafia member.

These strategies aren't mutually exclusive. I'm saying that everyone should mass claim their age during DP1. At which point we can pressure people for character claims.

Just giving a character age gives the mafia a ton off loopholes to work with. Character claiming majorly fvcks them up later if they try to fake claim a role that doesn't make sense with their character. Giving just an age, or one defining quality, allows players to work with whatever they want in fake claiming especially in a concept like F-16's.

Again, see not mutually exclusive. If everyone age claims in the first ten minutes of the DP then the DP can proceed how it normally does. The only difference is that the mafia's fake claims have been drastically limited.

Why on earth would a mafia member do that? Seriously, you think they would at least be smart enough remember the age they claimed. In a character claim situation, they have to come up with a role that could potentially get CC'ed, or have a horrible link to their character. Not only that, but if they do have a role claim that makes sense with their character claim, they will be screwed when their night actions don't line up with their claim.

Right, in almost all instances a mafia would not do this. Which is why it severely limits the mafia's strategic options.

It doesn't do anything for the town either. Character claiming at least gives us a basis on how to start determining a players level of scumminess based on their character, and role link.

Not mutually exclusive. Do both.

Sure, but that requires me to know my fake character claim from the beginning of the game. If we require everyone to anagram, age-define, or trait-define during DP1 then I can't get out of it later when I realize someone else already has the fake claimed character.
IFLYHIGH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2013 1:54:51 AM
This actually seems like a good idea as long as the theme has lots of characters. It's not like mafia can google "every player who is age x in show y" and expect to get any results.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2013 7:28:48 AM
At 6/5/2013 6:21:53 PM, TUF wrote:

http://arge.org...

Subliminal advertising, I see what you did there...
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...