Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

The Economy 2 - Sign Ups

FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 3:31:59 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
After being asked over and over again, it's finally here! Despite the variety of issues it has suffered, it remains a fan-favorite. It's actually the 4th time I've done it but the 2nd time with this name. Each time, it's been refined to account for internal issues.

The primary issue with the last game was that people were behaving irrationally. This is mostly due to confusion over money and the game being overcome with a prisoner's dilemma. This irrationality wasn't so much due to people just being stupid, as the level of their irrationality seemed to correlate with the roles I had given them to begin with. People with more power became more cunning and everyone else became their slaves. The biggest issue of all was banking. Stephan_Hawking, who ended up monopolizing banking, basically became default dictator and tricked people into working for him in exchange for baseless currency he printed out of nowhere. The government was completely ineffective. The ability to police was there, yet people formed gangs and started killing each other off instead. People also bartered their work for things they horded and never used. I found myself blown away by how strangely people were acting. It was sorta beautiful and sorta sad. This is more than a game. It's a social experiment. And I think that's why people liked it so much.

Taking these things to account, this game will be different from the last. Firstly, everyone will already be given more specific roles to begin with. Such as who they are working for and what their job is. So the economy doesn't have to build itself from the ground up. Because the whole game was spent trying to do that. But anyone can change their role at anytime, as far as they are capable with their resources. Going with that, the government will already be established and functional with police officers. This government will be democratic, rather than Minarchist like it was in the last game. Secondly, the banking sector will not be left to the market. Government will print the money.

This is a game of Fate. Which means it is largely run through imagination, within boundaries. People will say what they want to do, such as building something. And then I will tell them if it's possible, based on their resources and common sense. Each player holds a personal PM with me. Players can also make group PMs with any other number of the players, which must including myself. The rest of the game goes on in the forums.

Sorry, but this one will only have 10 players. The number of PMs I was receiving proved overwhelming.

Adding the people who reserved spots and are still active. They need to confirm though.

1. TheAntidoter
2. Drafterman
3. Nur-Ab-Sal
4. Buddamoose
5. daytonanerd
6. wallstreetatheist
7.
8.
9.
10.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
wrichcirw
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2013 4:50:55 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/9/2013 3:31:59 PM, FREEDO wrote:
After being asked over and over again, it's finally here! Despite the variety of issues it has suffered, it remains a fan-favorite. It's actually the 4th time I've done it but the 2nd time with this name. Each time, it's been refined to account for internal issues.

The primary issue with the last game was that people were behaving irrationally. This is mostly due to confusion over money and the game being overcome with a prisoner's dilemma. This irrationality wasn't so much due to people just being stupid, as the level of their irrationality seemed to correlate with the roles I had given them to begin with. People with more power became more cunning and everyone else became their slaves. The biggest issue of all was banking. Stephan_Hawking, who ended up monopolizing banking, basically became default dictator and tricked people into working for him in exchange for baseless currency he printed out of nowhere. The government was completely ineffective. The ability to police was there, yet people formed gangs and started killing each other off instead. People also bartered their work for things they horded and never used. I found myself blown away by how strangely people were acting. It was sorta beautiful and sorta sad. This is more than a game. It's a social experiment. And I think that's why people liked it so much.

This sounds like realism in a nutshell, minus the supposed "irrationality". Perhaps they were perfectly rational, but the roles they were assigned caused them to act in an unexpected manner.

Anyway, good luck with your game.

Taking these things to account, this game will be different from the last. Firstly, everyone will already be given more specific roles to begin with. Such as who they are working for and what their job is. So the economy doesn't have to build itself from the ground up. Because the whole game was spent trying to do that. But anyone can change their role at anytime, as far as they are capable with their resources. Going with that, the government will already be established and functional with police officers. This government will be democratic, rather than Minarchist like it was in the last game. Secondly, the banking sector will not be left to the market. Government will print the money.

This is a game of Fate. Which means it is largely run through imagination, within boundaries. People will say what they want to do, such as building something. And then I will tell them if it's possible, based on their resources and common sense. Each player holds a personal PM with me. Players can also make group PMs with any other number of the players, which must including myself. The rest of the game goes on in the forums.

Sorry, but this one will only have 10 players. The number of PMs I was receiving proved overwhelming.

Adding the people who reserved spots and are still active. They need to confirm though.

1. TheAntidoter
2. Drafterman
3. Nur-Ab-Sal
4. Buddamoose
5. daytonanerd
6. wallstreetatheist
7.
8.
9.
10.
At 8/9/2013 9:41:24 AM, wrichcirw wrote:
If you are civil with me, I will be civil to you. If you decide to bring unreasonable animosity to bear in a reasonable discussion, then what would you expect other than to get flustered?
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 3:18:17 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I vaguely remember trying to kill S_H in the last game, then hanging myself when it didn't work. Ah well, it can't hurt to try again. I'm in.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 3:40:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
This is because I am God at this game, then gave up as I lacked motivation after basically having the power to own everything, or kill anyone.

Can I recommend two improvements I'd make?

1) Have a technology development chart. Steal Civ 5's one I'd say. That'd be great.

2) Have a "second tier" problems where whoever are in charge get access to world problems. These are not revealed to the people (so the government can lie for example about problems or benefits. Say if an event is "you discover a golden nugget - it's worth a thousand Monies." The government can say "We have just experienced a severe hurricane in place X. We need to raise money to improve the people's lives over there. So we need to claim a lump fee of Y to fund it." And thus get richer). A bit like how in Mount&Blade, once you're a King, the diplomacy mechanism is interested which keeps the game interesting.

3) If the game gets really popular, run more than one at once? This is probably incredibly difficult to run just yourself, but it'd still be good. Just sayin' :)

Of course, I will sign up. This was a great laugh last time.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 3:40:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/10/2013 3:18:17 AM, Smithereens wrote:
I vaguely remember trying to kill S_H in the last game, then hanging myself when it didn't work. Ah well, it can't hurt to try again. I'm in.

Mwahahahaha
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 3:50:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
1. TheAntidoter
2. Drafterman
3. Nur-Ab-Sal
4. Buddamoose
5. daytonanerd
6. wallstreetatheist
7. LogicalMaddog
8. Smithereens
9. Stephan_Hawking
10.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Smithereens
Posts: 5,512
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 3:59:04 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/10/2013 3:40:11 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

Can I recommend two improvements I'd make?

1) Have a technology development chart...

2) Have a "second tier" problems where...

3) If the game gets really popular...

Hmmm, that's not like S_H...
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 9:38:33 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/11/2013 3:59:04 AM, Smithereens wrote:
At 6/10/2013 3:40:11 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

Can I recommend two improvements I'd make?

1) Have a technology development chart...

2) Have a "second tier" problems where...

3) If the game gets really popular...

Hmmm, that's not like S_H...

True true. OK two improvements and a third utopian plea?
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Detective
Posts: 18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 11:20:00 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have experience at mafia-styled games outside of this forum. If willing, let me join please.
I made a signature because I could,
I did not make it because I should,
If I should not then I still would,
Because I'm a rebel, like Robin Hood.

I'm joking, I lied, oh dear I deceived you,
If I had no conscience that I'd pretend it were true,
For I am no rebel, I'm a sheep of the norm,
Afraid to be shamed if I displayed my true form.
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 4:11:05 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/11/2013 11:20:00 AM, Detective wrote:
I have experience at mafia-styled games outside of this forum. If willing, let me join please.

It's not mafia.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Detective
Posts: 18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 4:27:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/11/2013 4:11:05 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 6/11/2013 11:20:00 AM, Detective wrote:
I have experience at mafia-styled games outside of this forum. If willing, let me join please.

It's not mafia.

Sorry.
I made a signature because I could,
I did not make it because I should,
If I should not then I still would,
Because I'm a rebel, like Robin Hood.

I'm joking, I lied, oh dear I deceived you,
If I had no conscience that I'd pretend it were true,
For I am no rebel, I'm a sheep of the norm,
Afraid to be shamed if I displayed my true form.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 4:27:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/11/2013 11:20:00 AM, Detective wrote:
I have experience at mafia-styled games outside of this forum. If willing, let me join please.

Are you sure you're going to be active? Some new members don't stick around.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Detective
Posts: 18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 5:06:51 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 6/11/2013 4:27:58 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 6/11/2013 11:20:00 AM, Detective wrote:
I have experience at mafia-styled games outside of this forum. If willing, let me join please.

Are you sure you're going to be active? Some new members don't stick around.

I will be active.
I made a signature because I could,
I did not make it because I should,
If I should not then I still would,
Because I'm a rebel, like Robin Hood.

I'm joking, I lied, oh dear I deceived you,
If I had no conscience that I'd pretend it were true,
For I am no rebel, I'm a sheep of the norm,
Afraid to be shamed if I displayed my true form.
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2013 10:13:22 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
1. TheAntidoter
2. Drafterman
3. Nur-Ab-Sal
4. Buddamoose
5. daytonanerd
6. wallstreetatheist
7. LogicalMaddog
8. Smithereens
9. Stephan_Hawking
10. Noumena

I'll try it out.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.