Jump to topic:

Game of Debate.Org

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 2:05:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
This will be similar to imabench's nations game, but one of my own design.

Basics:
1. There is only one attribute that matters in this game: Political Power (PP).
2. Each player has two types of political power: Innate & Accumulated (IPP & APP)
3. Each of the seven starting players start with 50 IPP.
4. A player's APP is equal to their IPP plus the APP of everyone that has pledged allegiance to them (directly).
5. Each player is part of one or more hierarchical structures called "fiefdoms." Each player is at the top of their own fiefdom and all players pledged to them (directly and indirectly) are subordinate. Thus you have fiefdoms within fiefdoms.
6. Fiefdoms which are not contained within other fiefdoms are "kingdoms" and the players at the top of such kingdoms are "Kings."
7. The object of the game is to be the King over all other players for the longest period of time.
8. At the end of each turn, each player gains 5 points of IPP for each player directly pledging them support.
9. New players may join at any time, but start with 0 points of IPP.

Game Phases:
1. The game happens in real time.
2. You may have up to 3 actions active at a time (One each of: Pledge, Attack, Order; or Declare Independence).
3. You may change your actions at any time.
4. At midnight each day, all actions are "locked in" and I will process them at my earliest convince, posting the results in this thread. This is also when you get your end-of-turn IPP increase.
5. After actions are processed, players may submit new actions.
6. All actions are treated as though they were submitted at the same time.

Actions:
Each phase you may:
1. Pledge - You may pledge allegiance to another player. You will add your APP to theirs. If you are already pledged to another player, you will remove your support of that player and suffer a penalty of -10 points to your IPP. This is the only action that may be taken during the first turn of the game.
2. Attack - You may attack another player. You may only attack players at the bottom levels of a fiefdom. If a player is not at the bottom level of a fiefdom you must eliminate all the players subordinate to them first. Players with 0 APP don't count. If you attack someone you are directly pledged to, you will suffer -20 points to your IPP.
3. Order - You may give your immediate subordinates (those directly pledging you allegiance) an order to attack another player's fiefdom in line with #2. This is not binding. However, if they refuse your order, they will suffer -10 points to their IPP. If they follow your order (and win the battle).
4. Declare Independence - You may formally withdraw your support for another player at no penalty, but only if you take no other action.

Attacking:
Attacking can be broken into a series of battles which are either 1-on-1 or Many-on-1 (1 player cannot attack multiple players). When attacking, the defending player is given the identities of the player(s) attacking them.

1-on-1:
The Defender May:
A) Counter-Attack - the player with the highest IPP wins. The winner's IPP is reduced by that of the loser and the loser's IPP is reduced to 0.
B) Retreat - The defender automatically loses and their IPP is reduced by half (rounded down).
In either case, the winner's IPP is increased by 10.

Many-on-1:
The Defender May:
A) Counter-Attack - the defender decides which attacking players it will attack in return and how much of its political power will be directed at each of those players. This breaks the battle into several 1-on-1 sub-battles and processed accordingly. However, the 10 IPP bonus for winning a battle is divided equally (rounded down) among all of the attackers.
B) Retreat - The defender automatically loses and their IPP is reduced by half (rounded down).

Defending and Attacking:
If a player has initiated an attack and is attacked by another player, they must either A) abandon their own attack; or B) press their own attack, but afterwards, suffer a lose to the player(s) attacking them as if they retreated.

Communication:
This thread may be used for general discussion either out-of-character or in-character, but should always be about the game. In the sense of "in-character" it represents public and open communication with players.

Players may communicate freely via PM without including me. The above actions should be enough to construct complex battle plans and political maneuvering.

Player List:
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 3:37:07 PM
Vassals:
Any player reduced to 0 IPP by losing an attack is made a vassal of the winning player. The Vassal stops pledging allegiance to whoever they were (if any) and is automatically pledging allegiance to the winner of the battle. If the vassal lost several battles to multiple winners, they become a vassal of the winning player with the most APP.

While they are vassals, they may not Pledge, Attack, or Declare Independence, nor may the refuse orders given to them. Vassals accumulate IPP normally.

Vassals stop being vassals when they have 50 or more APP.
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 4:43:34 PM
I will join as long as Video game mafia does not start at the same time that Ishalls game would magically spring back to life.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2013 5:05:07 PM
At 6/10/2013 4:43:34 PM, TheAntidoter wrote:
I will join as long as Video game mafia does not start at the same time that Ishalls game would magically spring back to life.

Well there is no "winning" or "losing" per se. It's more like an endless "King of the Hill" game. So while there is no inherent penalty in being inactive, you can only get out of the game what you put into it.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 7:03:28 AM
Additional Addendums:
Inactive players (players who neither post nor submit actions in a 24 hour period, from midnight to midnight) will, instead of accumulating 5 IPP each turn, lose 5 IPP each turn.

Fiefdoms will be strictly hierarchical, no loops. Any attempt to make a pledge that results in a loop will be voided. If simultaneous pledges are submitted that would result in loops, the pledges will be processed in the order they were received.

Players with vassals have an additional action available to them. They may trade their vassals to other players, making them a vassal to that player.

I will implement a scoring system. At the end of each turn, a player accumulates points equal to their APP.
Detective
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 11:18:45 AM
I could play if you were willing to accept those with experience at mafia outside of this site.
I made a signature because I could,
I did not make it because I should,
If I should not then I still would,
Because I'm a rebel, like Robin Hood.

I'm joking, I lied, oh dear I deceived you,
If I had no conscience that I'd pretend it were true,
For I am no rebel, I'm a sheep of the norm,
Afraid to be shamed if I displayed my true form.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 11:58:50 AM
At 6/11/2013 11:18:45 AM, Detective wrote:
I could play if you were willing to accept those with experience at mafia outside of this site.

This isn't a mafia game, but you are free to join.
Detective
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2013 4:08:49 PM
At 6/11/2013 6:56:31 AM, drafterman wrote:
Player List:
1. Lord StephenHawkins
2. Lord Antidoter
3. Lord FrackJack
4. Lord LogicalMaddog
5. Lord Freedo
6. Lord Detective
I made a signature because I could,
I did not make it because I should,
If I should not then I still would,
Because I'm a rebel, like Robin Hood.

I'm joking, I lied, oh dear I deceived you,
If I had no conscience that I'd pretend it were true,
For I am no rebel, I'm a sheep of the norm,
Afraid to be shamed if I displayed my true form.