Jump to topic:

Tips on playing mafia

RocketEngineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 2:27:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I would like some tips. After my blow up with Lucky_Luciano, I think he may have been right, and I generally played pretty badly in that game.

How can I do better at mafia?

1. What are some good ways you catch mafia? I mainly look for bandwagoning, and flaws in reasoning.

2. What are some good ways to play as third party? I have been third party 3 times now, and didn't make it very far in any of the games I played (I guess one was stopped early, but still).

3. And as mafia? Haven't had the chance to play as mafia yet, but if I do, what are some good tips?
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 2:33:55 PM
At 6/16/2013 2:27:43 PM, RocketEngineer wrote:
I would like some tips. After my blow up with Lucky_Luciano, I think he may have been right, and I generally played pretty badly in that game.

How can I do better at mafia?

1. What are some good ways you catch mafia? I mainly look for bandwagoning, and flaws in reasoning.

Bandwagoning is not a scumtell. Town bandwagons if they find a good reason to or to meet a deadline. It is the reasoning for bandwagoning that ought to be scrutinized. If town didn't bandwagon, nobody would ever get lynched unless all players independently agree that someone is scum.

Flaws in reasoning are not necessarily scumtells. It is the underlying motivation that counts.

2. What are some good ways to play as third party? I have been third party 3 times now, and didn't make it very far in any of the games I played (I guess one was stopped early, but still).

I played 16 games as 3rd party, won 1, and lost 15 so I am not the best person to answer that. But one thing I can tell you is to not overestimate the number of mafia. I made the same mistake that you did in "Once upon a time" mafia by buddamoose.

Pretend to be town right down to the very end. Never declare your status as third party. Never assume that the mafia will support you or want to joint win with you. Never assume that a certain number of mafiosi exist. If there are less than that number, you just signed your death warrant.

3. And as mafia? Haven't had the chance to play as mafia yet, but if I do, what are some good tips?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 3:02:37 PM
Keep playing and find your groove. That's what I do, and I think I get better in every game.

Also, don't take offense from veterans critiqueing/looking down on you.
My work here is, finally, done.
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/16/2013 3:09:11 PM
I am now in trolling high after causing RM to nearly lose on Epicmafia.

I think I will now delete my account due to his presence.

Yet another reason to not go there.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2013 11:54:38 PM
Always, ALWAYS follow your gut. It's not always accurate but you'll kick yourself if you were right.

Apart from that, study, study, study. There was a period, many moons ago, when I was the noob amongst much more experienced players. Now, most people would consider me a master, though I'm certainly rusty when I can play and unable, time-wise, to play any more anyway.

You just have to play and play and play. Until you're considered a voice of authority, stay back. Put your 2 cents in, contribute but mostly gather experience. Read other games, especially active ones. Read old, old, old games. If you are signed up for a game, read games the other players in the game were in. Read wiki's about mafia. Learn every role. Play a bunch of epic mafia. Go and play mafia with the big boys on MafiaScum. FFS read my guide.

Remember that good players can fake town-tells when they're mafia. Remember good players are not infallible and a scum-tell doesn't really prove sh!t. I ALWAYS put scum-tells second. Scum-slips are different, they're nails in the coffin but scum-tells...meh. I think they're over-rated.

In the end, this is a game of deception. Remember that. I play scummy when I'm town and pro-town when I'm scum, just to fvck with heads. :D
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...