Jump to topic:

The death of mafia

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 3:05:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Time to start mourning, mafia has died. There are no longer enough active players to make a full game, and I think we are going to have to start resorting to small games, or quick fires.

Even the vets aren't as active as they once were. Should we give mafia a break or should we try to emphasize a mafia campaign? Should we start advertising mafia big time, or should we make our games longer like on mafia scum?

Either something needs to be done, or we just need to let it die slowly and painfully.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Noumena
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 3:10:56 PM
Since when?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 3:21:08 PM
I think smaller games are the way to go. I mean, I run pretty fast games, and limited myself to reliable players, but I've had to replace Ober, Noumena, Thaddeus, DetectableNinja.

Could be just a summer lull.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 3:24:11 PM
At 7/10/2013 3:10:56 PM, Noumena wrote:
Since when?

Since the beginning of both drafters and buddas game started. Actually a little before that.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 3:24:46 PM
At 7/10/2013 3:13:14 PM, drafterman wrote:
I'm going to publicly advertise a beginners series after my game is over.

Good idea.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 3:25:31 PM
At 7/10/2013 3:21:08 PM, drafterman wrote:
I think smaller games are the way to go. I mean, I run pretty fast games, and limited myself to reliable players, but I've had to replace Ober, Noumena, Thaddeus, DetectableNinja.

Could be just a summer lull.

I hope so. Yeah we should probably revert to may 8-10 player games or so.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 3:28:35 PM
Budda's sign-ups stalled several times and Rocket's sign-ups are currently stalled. I had to replace two people before I even started my game.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 3:29:40 PM
At 7/10/2013 3:28:35 PM, drafterman wrote:
Budda's sign-ups stalled several times and Rocket's sign-ups are currently stalled. I had to replace two people before I even started my game.

This is getting ridiculous.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 4:01:41 PM
At 7/10/2013 3:33:32 PM, drafterman wrote:
It's a bit disheartening. But we've seen cycles like this before.

Yes we have. Then sometimes it picks back up like crazy too.
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 7:02:44 PM
Don't you think that you're being a bit hyperbolic there TUF? We've had cycles come and go. Is the current trend worrying? Somewhat, but really it's just a reminder to get beginner games running.

This is probably more a cycle than anything else. Something must be happening in the US. Of course, other factors can apply. I've made a conscious effort to reduce my time spent on Mafia as some pressures continue building in my life. That said, I do think it's deplorable when a player is replaced. If I sign up for a game I don't get replaced. It's about being courteous to the moderator.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 7:06:48 PM
At 7/10/2013 7:02:44 PM, Logic_on_rails wrote:
Don't you think that you're being a bit hyperbolic there TUF? We've had cycles come and go. Is the current trend worrying? Somewhat, but really it's just a reminder to get beginner games running.

This is probably more a cycle than anything else. Something must be happening in the US. Of course, other factors can apply. I've made a conscious effort to reduce my time spent on Mafia as some pressures continue building in my life. That said, I do think it's deplorable when a player is replaced. If I sign up for a game I don't get replaced. It's about being courteous to the moderator.

I agreed already that it was probably a cycle, though this is a pretty devastating drought.

I also know that people have their lives, or whatever other excuse they use to sign up for a game and then not be a part of it.

That's not the point. The point is to find new methods of bring activity, if we don't want to just stop for a while. I suggest advertising in other forums.
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2013 11:38:30 PM
Activity has definitely reduced. The time when I started playing, activity was at its peak and people would play 3-4 games at a time and be active. I remember there used to be two separate lists and some mods would end up modding two games at a time (a large and a small one). Activity has since reduced. There was a lull but after players like Yraelz, Maikuru, and Khaos started playing it picked up again. I think it depends on the players and who can be active at a given time.

I think I am definitely going to go with a small open white flag game for my next modded one. Either the 8P Scunhunter's speed or the 9P Chosen mafia, or maybe a 10-12 player custom open setup. Probably will not go higher than that. I'll also make a list of people that flaked out of my previous game and specifically invite those that stayed through to its completion or at least until they were lynched/killed and preferentially invite those players. That should help activity levels - if the players are reliable, have a game with just those players. I think even a nightless game might be good. No night kills, just lynches.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2013 7:33:06 AM
Lol good idea f-16. we should make an inactives whitelist. On it we can put sarcastic, skeps, frack,and lannan as common people who sign up for games yet are inactive.
cybertron1998
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2013 11:04:28 AM
I'm going to be working on a mafia with antidoter but it might take awhile so i will start signuos now
Epsilon: There are so many stories where some brave hero decides to give their life to save the day, and because of their sacrifice, the good guys win, the survivors all cheer, and everybody lives happily ever after. But the hero... never gets to see that ending. They'll never know if their sacrifice actually made a difference. They'll never know if the day was really saved. In the end, they just have to have faith.
SarcasticIndeed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2013 3:20:13 PM
I think we've had a similar thread some months ago. I don't think this is anything to get stressed about, especially if new beginner games are on the way.
<SIGNATURE CENSORED> nac
Lucky_Luciano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2013 5:04:26 PM
My activity fluctuates as my satisfaction with the community peaks and wanes. I'm sure it is the same for many other players.
"Age is not important" - Airmax 2014
"Australia... is that a place?" - Airmax 2014
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2013 10:25:03 PM
I'm just aiming for the finish to that beginners series I was promised.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2013 2:46:31 AM
At 7/10/2013 3:33:32 PM, drafterman wrote:
It's a bit disheartening. But we've seen cycles like this before.

This. Look back through the history of mafia on DDO and you'll see a bunch of times we had 3 games going at the same time and other times when we struggled to get any game finished successfully.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...