Total Posts:107|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

BEGINNERS 15.1 - Day Phase 1

drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 7:26:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Introduction to Mafia:
Mafia is a game of strategy and behavioral analysis that pits an uninformed majority (The Town) against an informed minority (The Mafia). All members of the Mafia know who they are and - by process of elimination - know who the members of the Town are. The members of the mafia have their own private, shared PM, where they can coordinate and discuss strategies. However, no member of the Town is given information about any other player; they must figure that out through the course of the game.

The game is divided into Day Phases and Night Phases. Each Day Phase will be conducted in a public thread created by me. I will start each Day Phase with a summary of actions performed the previous Night (excepting the first Day Phase), a list of living and dead players, and other rules and notes. The Day Phase is used by all players for open deliberation and is the only normal mechanism by which members of the Town can communicate with each other. It is the primary vehicle by which the members of the Town can eliminate their opposition: The Mafia. However, the Mafia are covertly part of this deliberation, and will try to disrupt or derail the plans of the Town, though in a way as not to reveal their affiliation.

During the Day Phase, each player may cast a vote to lynch another player. The format is VTL Player Name. Unbolded votes do not count. To remove your vote from a player, you can simply Unvote. Alternatively, you may vote that no player be lynched that day with a vote to no lynch, or VTNL. If a majority of the living players vote to have another player lynched, or vote that no one should be lynched, the Day Phase will end with the death of that player (if applicable) and the Night Phase will begin.

The Night Phase is where players can utilize the abilities of any role they have been given. These will be detailed in PMs I create for each player. In addition, the members of the Mafia can elect to kill another player during the Night. The Night Phase ends when all players have submitted their actions.

The object of the game for each faction (Town, Mafia) is to eliminate the other faction. As a short-cut, when the Mafia make up 50% or more of the living players, the game will end automatically, since they will be able to control the vote during the Day Phase and can no longer be eliminated (under most circumstances). However, there is no such short-cut for the Town, and they must eliminate each member of the Mafia.

Terms, acronyms, and abbreviations:
Alignment - your status as Town, Mafia, or 3rd Party (anything not Town or Mafia).
Bandwagon - A "wagon" consists of the individuals voting for a person. Bandwagoning usually refers to hopping on such a wagon blindly or without clearly articulating your reasons.
BP - Bulletproof, a person immune to night kills.
Buddying - A tactic by mafia where they agree with or support towns people in an attempt to look innocent in return.
Bussing - When the mafia allow, or help, get one of their own members lynched, in order to look innocent in return, or to avoid suspicion.
Claim - Either Character Claim or Role Claim. This is a request to reveal this part of your Role.
Counter Claim - In most cases, roles are unique per game. A counter-claim is when one person challenges another person's role-claim by claiming the same role.
Fake Claim - Since your character or role can be indicative of your alignment, mafioso's usually invent fake claims to avoid suspicion. Cna also be done by Towns-persons trying to perform some sort of gambit.
FOS - Finger of suspicion. Indicates that you suspect someone of being mafia, but usually not enough to place a vote on them.
Hammer - Placing the last vote on someone to get them lynched.
JK - Jailkeeper, a combination of doctor and roleblocker.
LYLO - Lynch or Lose, a situation where the towns-people only outnumber the mafia by 1. Since the mafia gets a kill at night and this would tie them with the town and earn them a win, it is necessary for the town to lynch a mafia in this situation or they lose.
Modkill - You break my rules - I kill you. I will also retroactively convert you into a survivor such that you can't even claim a win with your original faction.
MYLO - Mislynch and Lose, a situation where the towns-people outnumber the mafia by 2. A mislynch gives the mafia a free kill which, when combined with the mafia night kill, allows the mafia to win. Barring irrefutable results, MYLO generally results in no lynch, which merely leads to LYLO.
NK - night kill, any kill performed at night, though usually refers to the mafia night kill.
PM - Private message. Players are only permitted to create or talk in Private Messages set up by the mod.
PR - Power Role, a role with some ability, either passive or active. Towns people without a power role are referred to as "Vanillas" while mafiosos without a power role are referred to as "Goons"
RVS - Random Voting Stage. When there is no information to go on, but you need to get the game moving, generally you'll pressure someone randomly.
Scum - Anyone that is not aligned with the town.
Scum-tell - some trait, or "tell" that indicates a person may be scum.
Softclaim - dropping hints, but not out-right claiming, to be a specific character or role.
SK - Serial Killer, a third party, night killing role.
WIFOM - Wine In Front Of Me. A subtle and complex type of psychology. Best explained herehttp://mafiascum.net...

Rules:
1. The only PMs you are allowed to use to talk about this game with other players are the PMs that I have specifically created for that purpose.
2. Day phases will last until a majority vote has been reached or 48 hours has passed, whichever comes first. If the time-limit is reached, there will be no lynch.
3. Night phases will last until everyone submits their night action or 48 hours has passed, whichever comes first. If the time-limit is reached, your action is forfeit.
4. Any Day or Night phase that starts or ends on a weekend will be automatically extended 24 hours.
5. Be active (submit any Night actions in a timely matter and participate in Day Phase discussions). I will replace people at my discretion in response to low or no activity.
6. You may not cut-and-paste from any game PM into the Day Phase thread. You must always paraphrase (http://owl.english.purdue.edu...). Simply replacing the occasional word with a synonym is not acceptable.
7. All game related questions should be directed to me, via PM. You don't have to create a new PM, you may use your Role PM or mafia PM.

Set-Up:
This round includes an Open Setup. This means that all the roles that appear in the game will be known publicly (but not who has what role). This game involves the following roles:
Town - 5x Vanilla
Mafia - 2x Goon

The Vanilla PM looks like this:

You are a Vanilla. You have no night abilities. You win with the town. The town wins when all members of the mafia have been eliminated.

The Goon PM looks like this:

You are a Goon. Each night you may select another player to die. You win with the Mafia. The Mafia wins when its member make up 50% or more of the remaining players.

Roles have been assigned randomly.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 7:27:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Living Players:
1. bladerunner
2. Beginner
3. xXCryptoXx
4. Cermank
5. YYW
6. Lannan13
7. Daytonanerd

With 7 players, it takes 4 votes to lynch (or no lynch).
This Day Phase will end on 7/25 at 07:00 PM DDO Time (I have added a bonus 24 hours for the early start, combined with it being the first Day Phase).
Beginner
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 8:46:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
No one is posting..
I've been stalking you from the sign-in list and I know for a fact that Crypto, Bladerunner, and Daytona are on (say something).
Lannan hasn't been on in 4 days.
Cermank was on 5 hours ago
YYW closed his/her account

VTL Daytonanerd
Senpai has noticed you.
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 9:08:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/22/2013 8:46:29 PM, Beginner wrote:
No one is posting..
I've been stalking you from the sign-in list and I know for a fact that Crypto, Bladerunner, and Daytona are on (say something).
Lannan hasn't been on in 4 days.
Cermank was on 5 hours ago
YYW closed his/her account

VTL Daytonanerd

Why are you already voting off Day?

We need to actually gather evidence first before we just start giving off votes to take people out...
Nolite Timere
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 9:13:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
My computer is sometimes on all day, even when I'm not on it. Had lots of calls today, surprisingly. First real chance to sit down I've had all day.

Anyway, can I ask questions about the rules since this is a beginner game? I'm not clear on how much chatter is allowed/frowned upon.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Beginner
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 9:13:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Honestly, I originally just wanted something to happen, I wanted to see how Daytona, the 'experienced' player, will respond.
Senpai has noticed you.
Beginner
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 9:19:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
The other reason:
Note the roles. There are 5 vanillas and 2 goons.
Now look at the structure of the player composition.
There are 5 beginners, and 2 veterans.
Do you see what I am getting at?
I think it's possible that drafter is setting this game up as a beginner vs. veterans. If this is so, I strongly believe that, since we're going to have to lynch someone eventually (or just VNTL the entire game and watch the mafia pick us off one by one), we should start with one of the experienced players to test the theory.
Senpai has noticed you.
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 9:22:11 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/22/2013 9:19:48 PM, Beginner wrote:
The other reason:
Note the roles. There are 5 vanillas and 2 goons.
Now look at the structure of the player composition.
There are 5 beginners, and 2 veterans.
Do you see what I am getting at?
I think it's possible that drafter is setting this game up as a beginner vs. veterans. If this is so, I strongly believe that, since we're going to have to lynch someone eventually (or just VNTL the entire game and watch the mafia pick us off one by one), we should start with one of the experienced players to test the theory.

Mmm I dunno. I think it would be kinda unfair to pit the veterans against the beginners. Anyways, aren't we all doing this for the first time?

We can test your theory anyways though since it may be a good start to this game.
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 9:22:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
...But then again now that we've posted this on the Day Phase they'll be weary of the strategy. We should have talked this through via PM ;_;
Nolite Timere
Beginner
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 9:23:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/22/2013 9:19:48 PM, Beginner wrote:
The other reason:
Note the roles. There are 5 vanillas and 2 goons.
Now look at the structure of the player composition.
There are 5 beginners, and 2 veterans.
Do you see what I am getting at?
I think it's possible that drafter is setting this game up as a beginner vs. veterans. If this is so, I strongly believe that, since we're going to have to lynch someone eventually (or just VNTL the entire game and watch the mafia pick us off one by one), we should start with one of the experienced players to test the theory.

I'm just assuming that drafter might pick the experienced players to be mafia since there are more tricks to playing the mafia role. The logic being that inexperienced players might accidently reveal themselves (stumble on words) and end the game too soon.
If Daytona is mafia, I suggest we lynch Lannan afterward.
Senpai has noticed you.
daytonanerd
Posts: 6,769
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 9:25:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/22/2013 9:19:48 PM, Beginner wrote:
The other reason:
Note the roles. There are 5 vanillas and 2 goons.
Now look at the structure of the player composition.
There are 5 beginners, and 2 veterans.
Do you see what I am getting at?
I think it's possible that drafter is setting this game up as a beginner vs. veterans. If this is so, I strongly believe that, since we're going to have to lynch someone eventually (or just VNTL the entire game and watch the mafia pick us off one by one), we should start with one of the experienced players to test the theory.

Most beginner's games, at least the first in the series, have at least one experienced player on the mafia side, but never have them all on one side with all the noobs on town. There is always a noob on the mafia side.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Beginner
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 9:26:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
We're not allowed to talk to each other via PM unless it's a PM established by drafter (he pointed this out). I don't think vanilla townies have a PM. Every game-related post we make is right here.
On another note, I think we should change the lynch to Lannan since Lannan seems pretty inactive. This way we don't have to go through the annoying process of dealing with Daytona's counterargument. If Lannan is guilty, we should lynch Daytona next. It would be highly suspect for Daytona to defend Lanna.
Senpai has noticed you.
daytonanerd
Posts: 6,769
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 9:27:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/22/2013 9:25:01 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
At 7/22/2013 9:19:48 PM, Beginner wrote:
The other reason:
Note the roles. There are 5 vanillas and 2 goons.
Now look at the structure of the player composition.
There are 5 beginners, and 2 veterans.
Do you see what I am getting at?
I think it's possible that drafter is setting this game up as a beginner vs. veterans. If this is so, I strongly believe that, since we're going to have to lynch someone eventually (or just VNTL the entire game and watch the mafia pick us off one by one), we should start with one of the experienced players to test the theory.

Most beginner's games, at least the first in the series, have at least one experienced player on the mafia side, but never have them all on one side with all the noobs on town. There is always a noob on the mafia side.

Wait, just saw the part where Drafter said that the roles were assigned randomly. Nvm.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
daytonanerd
Posts: 6,769
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 9:29:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/22/2013 9:26:44 PM, Beginner wrote:
We're not allowed to talk to each other via PM unless it's a PM established by drafter (he pointed this out). I don't think vanilla townies have a PM. Every game-related post we make is right here.
On another note, I think we should change the lynch to Lannan since Lannan seems pretty inactive. This way we don't have to go through the annoying process of dealing with Daytona's counterargument. If Lannan is guilty, we should lynch Daytona next. It would be highly suspect for Daytona to defend Lanna.

The PM standard applies to all mafia games, btw. Only mods can set up PMs relating to a mafia game (Until it is over, that is.)
#FeeltheFreezerBern
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 9:31:32 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Didn't get an answer so I'm gonna ask my question anyway. What is the purpose of the required-to-paraphrase rule?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
daytonanerd
Posts: 6,769
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 9:33:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/22/2013 9:31:32 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Didn't get an answer so I'm gonna ask my question anyway. What is the purpose of the required-to-paraphrase rule?

It's not such a big deal this game, but in games where the role PM is not revealed in the OP, C/Ping, especially with the time stamp, auto-confirms a player, spoiling the fun of the game. Standard punishment is modkilling.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Beginner
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 9:35:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/22/2013 9:27:19 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
At 7/22/2013 9:25:01 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
At 7/22/2013 9:19:48 PM, Beginner wrote:
The other reason:
Note the roles. There are 5 vanillas and 2 goons.
Now look at the structure of the player composition.
There are 5 beginners, and 2 veterans.
Do you see what I am getting at?
I think it's possible that drafter is setting this game up as a beginner vs. veterans. If this is so, I strongly believe that, since we're going to have to lynch someone eventually (or just VNTL the entire game and watch the mafia pick us off one by one), we should start with one of the experienced players to test the theory.

Most beginner's games, at least the first in the series, have at least one experienced player on the mafia side, but never have them all on one side with all the noobs on town. There is always a noob on the mafia side.

Wait, just saw the part where Drafter said that the roles were assigned randomly. Nvm.

Back to base one. :(
Senpai has noticed you.
daytonanerd
Posts: 6,769
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 9:37:20 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
We shouldn't vote Lannan based on his inactivity. Drafter will probably replace him soon enough. Drafter is a good mod like that.

Btw,

VTL Beginner

You, saying your vote on me is a reaction test? Most noobs don't know how to do that in the first game you are in. You must have had some type of advice. TUF would give you the advice to Reaction-test to make it look like you are town. Especially because TUF is a pretty big proponent of Reaction testing. Not as much as FourTrouble, but TUF does it.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Beginner
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 9:42:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I think the next potential mafia would be Crypto (sorry man).
When you told me that I should have discussed my proposition 'via PM', you made a fatal error. There is no PM for us.
I therefore assume that you do in fact have a PM set up with another player for mafia purposes. I kind of suspect you, but there is also the fact that you are a beginner like me, so I can't be sure.
Anyway, since my original proposition is now groundless
UNVOTE
Senpai has noticed you.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 9:45:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/22/2013 9:33:42 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
At 7/22/2013 9:31:32 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Didn't get an answer so I'm gonna ask my question anyway. What is the purpose of the required-to-paraphrase rule?

It's not such a big deal this game, but in games where the role PM is not revealed in the OP, C/Ping, especially with the time stamp, auto-confirms a player, spoiling the fun of the game. Standard punishment is modkilling.

auto-confirms? I'm confused. Also, is the rule harsh just because people are stupid? Because sriously, C/Ping the timestamp?

Oh, and VTL Beginner, I found Daytona's argument compelling.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Beginner
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 9:47:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/22/2013 9:37:20 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
We shouldn't vote Lannan based on his inactivity. Drafter will probably replace him soon enough. Drafter is a good mod like that.

Btw,

VTL Beginner

You, saying your vote on me is a reaction test? Most noobs don't know how to do that in the first game you are in. You must have had some type of advice. TUF would give you the advice to Reaction-test to make it look like you are town. Especially because TUF is a pretty big proponent of Reaction testing. Not as much as FourTrouble, but TUF does it.

No I have not received advice from any outside source simply because I thought we weren't allowed to PM unless we were mafia.. It was something I came up with..
Can we just follow my proposition? Look, lynch me if you like, but if I'm not guilty, please lynch crypto because I strongly suspect him to be mafia.
Senpai has noticed you.
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 9:47:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/22/2013 9:42:58 PM, Beginner wrote:
I think the next potential mafia would be Crypto (sorry man).
When you told me that I should have discussed my proposition 'via PM', you made a fatal error. There is no PM for us.
I therefore assume that you do in fact have a PM set up with another player for mafia purposes. I kind of suspect you, but there is also the fact that you are a beginner like me, so I can't be sure.
Anyway, since my original proposition is now groundless
UNVOTE

Actually I didn't know we couldn't send private pms to each other "outside" of the game.

Begginer seems a bit suspicious IMO. Quick to point his finger at people >_>

Also Daytona's explanation on the reaction test makes sense. For someone who has never played before he seems to know how to do this stuff pretty well.
Nolite Timere
xXCryptoXx
Posts: 5,000
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 9:48:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Oh yeah, plus Drafterman said that the Mafia peoplez were randomized, so the whole "experienced players" theory has been debunked.

VTL Beginner
Nolite Timere
Beginner
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 9:50:46 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/22/2013 9:47:46 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
At 7/22/2013 9:42:58 PM, Beginner wrote:
I think the next potential mafia would be Crypto (sorry man).
When you told me that I should have discussed my proposition 'via PM', you made a fatal error. There is no PM for us.
I therefore assume that you do in fact have a PM set up with another player for mafia purposes. I kind of suspect you, but there is also the fact that you are a beginner like me, so I can't be sure.
Anyway, since my original proposition is now groundless
UNVOTE

Actually I didn't know we couldn't send private pms to each other "outside" of the game.

Begginer seems a bit suspicious IMO. Quick to point his finger at people >_>

Also Daytona's explanation on the reaction test makes sense. For someone who has never played before he seems to know how to do this stuff pretty well.

Ugh I should just shut up. That would be a better strategy. And I thought I was being clever.. :|
Senpai has noticed you.
Beginner
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 9:55:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 7/22/2013 9:48:53 PM, xXCryptoXx wrote:
Oh yeah, plus Drafterman said that the Mafia peoplez were randomized, so the whole "experienced players" theory has been debunked.

VTL Beginner

I've played mafia IRL before (it differs slightly from the forum one). Reaction test is a pretty standard play, and I have to say you look the guiltiest. Your reflex lynch (plus the reason I've outlined earlier) almost confirms my suspicion. Since I win with town anyway.. if I die, at least we will be pretty much certain that you are mafia. The result would be DP3 with you and me dead, 3-4 towns, 1 mafia. I like the odds. I guess I'm out.
Senpai has noticed you.
Beginner
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2013 10:15:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Wait, there are only 3 lynch votes on me.
Guys, please observe objectively. I have never talked to TUF, TUF isn't even on my friends list.. I seriously think all indicators thus far point to crypto.
Senpai has noticed you.