Jump to topic:

Town strategy: Attack sucky mafia first

F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 1:41:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
When we are town and have scumreads, there are several ways to go about pushing lynches. You could go with your strongest scumread, you could compromise with other townies and go with weaker reads. I recommend a third way to do this: go with the weakest player.

For example, let's say you have a scumread on FT, drafter, and a sucky player (who I won't name, but let's face it, we all know who they are), it makes the most sense to lynch that sucky player first because it accounts for the event of "what if it is a mislynch?" The sucky player is also most likely to be a detriment to the town in MYLO/LYLO and cast those critical votes on townies which enable mafia to hammer. Obviously, we shouldn't lynch the less skilled players if the corresponding scumreads are not even close but if you have say, TUF as a top scumread DP1 and a sucky player at a close second, the better town strategy is to push hard for the lynch of sucky player. The reason is that if you push a good player's (say drafter's) lynch DP1, it most likely won't go through and you might end up with a) a no lynch, b) drafter successfully mislynching you since he is more logically coherent as scum than you are as town, or c) compromising with other townies to lynch someone you are not so sure about - a possible mislynch.

Another thing to consider is that good players are often night-killed. If you suspect FT DP1 for example, pushing for his lynch may be doing the mafia's work for them - they might have planned to night kill him very soon. It would be a much better strategy to just wait for a while and see if mafia kills him, and if they don't push for the lynch towards MYLO/LYLO.

A fourth thing to consider is relatability. Let's say you have TUF and IFLY at the end compared with two random sucky players at the end - one of the players being mafia. With the first scenario, you can be assured that both your LYLO companions will give it the absolute best shot they can to win and know that if they choose wrong, it will weigh in on their conscience. On the other hand, the sucky town may vote quickly for you allowing scum to hammer and not even care about the game or apologize at endgame and talk to you about it.

Finally, it just so happens that sucky mafia are easier to catch that good ones. If you have scumreads on Mr. Sucky and Lucky for instance, it will be far more likely you are wrong about Lucky than Sucky. Bad players commit more blatant and obvious scumslips. Good players take time to catch. In this case, the best strategy is to push a lynch on Sucky while gathering evidence against Lucky to use later. Also, in the case where your read on Lucky reverses, you would be so much happier if Lucky is there at endgame than Sucky.

For all those reasons, I prefer to lynch players who are bad as opposed to players who are good. I'll probably post a few examples to illustrate my point some other time.

Thoughts on this?
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 1:52:48 PM
Is this advice directed at me?

but anyways, Day 1 or 2 would be a good time for that.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
Lucky_Luciano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 5:07:27 PM
I see one problem with your strategy. You imply that it's possible to have a scumread on me. As far as I'm concerned, this is an ability unique to Budda. He also thinks I am scum every game, without regard to my real affiliation.
"Age is not important" - Airmax 2014
"Australia... is that a place?" - Airmax 2014
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 5:34:19 PM
Good strategy.... But... Now if I am ever mafia, I will WIFOM with this. :-)
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:21:25 PM
How did I forget to add the biggest reason of all (and probably the inspiration for starting for starting this thread)? Anyways, here it is: Paranoia.

Paranoia is bad when two experienced players suspect each other and keep going after each other until it becomes obvious that one of them will be lynched. Then the inactive/sucky players come on and vote for one of them. However, to combat this, it makes more sense for experienced players to give each other more leeway at the very beginning of the game and put the sucky/inactive players on the spot. Then as time goes on and the experienced scum don't get night killed, more and more evidence will come to light against them (whether pointing to them as being town or scum) and their affiliation can be more accurately determined. This opposed to complete paranoia DP1 which is generally more detrimental regardless of anyone's affiliation.
BornToDebate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:24:58 PM
Who do you think you are to tell a player that they suck?

Different playing styles are only subjectively ranked.
dilfilly fung fing
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 7:38:30 PM
At 7/29/2013 7:24:58 PM, BornToDebate wrote:
I told nobody that they sucked.

I am not referring to playstyle differences. I think FT is probably one of the best players on the site, yet I could have multiple long debates about which of our styles is more effective - and often do.

I am referring to players that are inactive, only post to "catch up," bandwagon without providing their own reasoning, are poor scumhunters, cast votes quickly in LYLO and other such fairly objective stuff.
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 8:45:26 PM
players can suck, lol. I've seen players do some really questionable things for no good reason.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2013 9:06:00 PM
At 7/29/2013 7:24:58 PM, BornToDebate wrote:

We're the mafia elite. Now get back to your corner.