BEGINNERS 15.4 - Day Phase 1

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 8:42:41 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Introduction:

The essence of DDO Mafia, is the themed game. Almost all games on mafia are themed games. A themed game introduces new elements (and sometimes new mechanics) that add complexity and (hopefully) fun to the game.

In addition to an alignment and a role, players are also given characters that fit in with the theme. The roles almost (but not always or necessarily) fit with the character. This can be expressed in a number of ways. For example, if the theme is a TV show or movie, and your character is a cop, officer, or policeman, he might very will have the Mafia role of "Cop" due to the similarity in profession, if not function. Alternatively, if the character isn't such an occupation, but is otherwise good at discerning between good and evil, they might also be a "Cop" due to the similarity in function, if not profession.

Themes are limited only by the imagination. Most have to do with some form of media, such as TV shows, Literature, and Movies. Others are more abstract, like philosophies or politics. Literally anything can be a theme.

As said, themes add new elements to the game, which are summarized as follows:

1. Partial-claiming. Role-claiming can be dangerous for Townies to do, as it helps mafia decide who they need to kill. Instead of role-claiming, you can character claim. While your character may hint at your role, it is still safer than full claiming.

2. Fake-claiming. Mafia normally have to fake claim their roles when forced to claim in theme-less games. In themed games they also have to fake claim characters. Arguably this is more difficult. In role-claiming, they simply have to avoid being counter-claimed. In character claiming, they have to claim a character from the theme, is consistent with their role, and is major enough to be expected (though not all characters in the game will be major).

3. Patterns. Usually, there will be some distinguishing factor between the different factions. Normally this is a good vs. evil type discrimination, but not always. Remember, the Mafia start the game knowing 1/3rd of the role PMs, so have a head start in discerning any patterns and obfuscating Town's ability to also learn it.

4. Mod Psychology. Creating a themed game, including writing PMs, requires more input from the mod. Based on analysis of the game's creation, how the role PMs are written, and any patterns discovered, you can try and determine how the game was constructed in an effort to hunt for scum. However, this is more of an art than a science. Mistakes and deliberately traps created by the mod can hinder such an analysis. Trying to predict the mod's psychology is a double edged sword.

This Game's Theme
THE SMURFS!

Good luck!
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 8:45:16 AM
Living Smurfs:
1. bladesmurfer
2. Smurfginner
3. Crypsmurf
4. RockSmurf
5. Smurfctan
6. TN0Smurf
7. JohnSmurf
8. SmurfStand

With 8 smurfs, it takes 5 votes to smurf.
This Smurf Phase will end no later than 8/8 at 09:00 am Smurf Time.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 9:11:25 AM
Alright, we need to root out the mafia quickly here. With only 8 people that means we should have 6 town (with perhaps one being anti-town) and 2 mafia. If we mislynch here we'd be cut down to 4 town by next day.

Vote to smurf Beginner to get his role claim early. We need to be confident about what our role claims are.
JonMilne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 9:22:01 AM
At 8/6/2013 9:11:25 AM, TN05 wrote:
Alright, we need to root out the mafia quickly here. With only 8 people that means we should have 6 town (with perhaps one being anti-town) and 2 mafia. If we mislynch here we'd be cut down to 4 town by next day.

Vote to smurf Beginner to get his role claim early. We need to be confident about what our role claims are.

Why not the same dynamic as before, when there was a 3rd party in there, therefore making it 5:2:1? In any case, I concur. VTL Beginner for claim.

Much like the other games I'm part of, my constant mantra is that I have nothing to hide, within reason. I am affiliated with the town, and my role is one that will greatly benefit the town. This time, my role is very similar to what I soft claimed in the last game.
Lucky_Luciano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 9:23:52 AM
At 8/6/2013 8:45:16 AM, drafterman wrote:
Living Smurfs:
1. bladesmurfer
2. Smurfginner
3. Crypsmurf
4. RockSmurf
5. Smurfctan
6. TN0Smurf
7. JohnSmurf
8. SmurfStand

With 8 smurfs, it takes 5 votes to smurf.
This Smurf Phase will end no later than 8/8 at 09:00 am Smurf Time.

I like this already.
"Age is not important" - Airmax 2014
"Australia... is that a place?" - Airmax 2014
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 9:32:00 AM
Are we supposed to be smurfing in character? Or do we just say "smurf it"?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 10:02:47 AM
At 8/6/2013 9:32:00 AM, bladerunner060 wrote:
Are we supposed to be smurfing in character? Or do we just say "smurf it"?

You do not have to be "in character," no.
Noctan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 10:13:33 AM
Drafter, I think Nocsmurf or something would be better,haha. Can't really pronounce Surfctan
I can manage my anger if people can manage their stupidity.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 2:38:29 PM
If Smurfginner doesn't smurf soon, I'm voting to smurf him. I assume he's taking the previous discussion about consistency to heart?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 2:49:06 PM
At 8/6/2013 2:38:29 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
If Smurfginner doesn't smurf soon, I'm voting to smurf him. I assume he's taking the previous discussion about consistency to heart?

"You are JOKEY SMURF. You are known for giving other Smurfs joke boxes that blow up in their faces. You are the ROLEBLOCKER. Each night you may target another player, they will not be able to use their role.
I'm the JOKEY SMURF and I give other Smurfs joke boxes.
Senpai has noticed you.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 2:54:08 PM
At 8/6/2013 2:49:06 PM, Beginner wrote:

"You are JOKEY SMURF. You are known for giving other Smurfs joke boxes that blow up in their faces. You are the ROLEBLOCKER. Each night you may target another player, they will not be able to use their role.

Thanks, Unsmurf
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 2:56:00 PM

TN05, can you explain what you mean by this statement? What is your objective in obtaining my claim?
Senpai has noticed you.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 3:04:07 PM
TN05, what do you mean by when you said that we needed to be 'more confident in our role claims'?
Senpai has noticed you.
RocketEngineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 3:21:18 PM
At 8/6/2013 3:05:43 PM, Beginner wrote:
TN05 why are you stalling?

What is your hurry? It hasn't even been more than 20 minutes before you asked him the first time? How is he stalling? Why are you so eager to doubt him based on a such short period of time with no answer?
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 3:24:08 PM
At 8/6/2013 2:56:00 PM, Beginner wrote:

TN05, can you explain what you mean by this statement? What is your objective in obtaining my claim?

Last game, you claimed bulletproof when you really were jack of all trades. Noctan soft-claimed doctor, but was really watcher. Crypto claimed serial killer, but was really cop. The confusion on town side proved to be detrimental to town.

This game, I don't want us to repeat that mistake. I want to make sure we don't have any confusion over roles, if we choose to reveal.

For my role, let me put it this way - if I reveal it, it is basically useless, but it is town and it could be incredibly useful. I promise you all I will reveal it next day phase, along with what I used it for (if it works) - if I don't do exactly as I say, feel free to lynch me.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 3:25:45 PM
Beginner was mod-killed for cutting and pasting his role.

Beginner: You are JOKEY SMURF. You are known for giving other Smurfs joke boxes that blow up in their faces. You are the ROLEBLOCKER. Each night you may target another player, they will not be able to use their role.

You win with the Town.

His role has now been replaced with the following:

You are BRAINY SMURF. Who needs to follow the rules when you're the smartest Smurf in the village? Well, it just got you kicked out of the village.

You win with no one. You lose.

The Day Phase is over. The Night Phase has begun. It will end no later than 8/8 at 03:00pm DDO Time.

THIS THREAD IS CLOSED.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 3:26:26 PM
At 8/6/2013 3:21:18 PM, RocketEngineer wrote:
At 8/6/2013 3:05:43 PM, Beginner wrote:
TN05 why are you stalling?

What is your hurry? It hasn't even been more than 20 minutes before you asked him the first time? How is he stalling? Why are you so eager to doubt him based on a such short period of time with no answer?

For the record, Beginner waited five hours to respond to the concerns of me and JonSmurf. Not sure why he is so mad at me for not responding in a much shorter timeframe.
RocketEngineer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 3:26:28 PM
At 8/6/2013 2:49:06 PM, Beginner wrote:

I am not really sure if I see the link here. How does boxes blowing up in people's faces make them un-able to use their ability?
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2013 3:32:11 PM
Three Cheers for stupidity!! I'm going to be playing LoL on my smurf and may be monitoring this game later :) Good luck town!
Senpai has noticed you.