Beginner Games 16.x - Sign Ups!

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 7:06:42 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Mafia University
Want to know what this strange, oddly compelling game mafia is? Know what mafia is but wish to bone up on your skills? Mafia University is the place for you!

You will be put through a boot-camp of three mafia games. Each game is designed to teach you the basics of mafia in a progressive fashion, leading up to the themed games that predominate DDO Mafia. The curriculum is as follows:

Round 1: Introduction to Mafia, Mafia Basics and Role Madness!
Round 2: Flavors, Misinformation, Information Denial, and Third Parties
Round 3: Themed Game

The games are designed for maximum exposure, not balance. The idea is to have new players deal with all of the different circumstances that may commonly run up against in normal mafia games.

The sign-up sheet below is for all three games. That way, each person gets the full effect of the beginners' course and also helps keeps things moving.

New Players:

Ringers (experienced players):

Replacements (open to all players, preference given to noobs):

Town Advisor: (Optional; May comment in Day Phase thread to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)

Mafia Advisor: (Optional; Participates in mafia PM to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)

What constitutes a "New" player versus an "Experienced" player? My personal, arbitrary, discretion. My primary goal is to get a game up and running, otherwise no one benefits. However, slots will be given to newer/lesser experienced/lesser ability players as a matter of preference. If you are not such a player (or I don't believe you are such a player), then feel free to sign up, but also be prepared to have your slot taken away and given to someone who will benefit from it more. Other than that, the game is open to all.

Advice: If you are not already my friend, when signing up, add me as a friend. This will make things go faster.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 7:07:49 AM
New Players:
1. [Reserved]

Town Advisor: (Optional; May comment in Day Phase thread to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)

Mafia Advisor: (Optional; Participates in mafia PM to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 8:29:20 AM
At 8/19/2013 8:28:06 AM, TN05 wrote:
I'll sign up; not sure if I am 'experienced' now, but The last game was great.

Any new players that signed up for the previous set can sign up for this one. You guys were a great batch. Keep in mind that I will give preference to players with less experience.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 8:29:52 AM
New Players:
1. [Reserved]
2. TN05

Mafia Advisor:
(Optional; Participates in mafia PM to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 9:43:48 AM
At 8/19/2013 8:29:52 AM, drafterman wrote:
New Players:
1. [Reserved]
2. TN05

1. TA

Mafia Advisor:
(Optional; Participates in mafia PM to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 9:46:43 AM
New Players:
1. [Reserved]
2. TN05
3. Shadowguynick

1. TA

Shadowguynick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 9:51:31 AM
At 8/19/2013 9:46:43 AM, drafterman wrote:
New Players:
1. [Reserved]
2. TN05
3. Shadowguynick

1. TA

Yes! :)
JonMilne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 10:25:33 AM
It is okay for me to join right? I am still relatively a noob and I'm sure I could benefit from more practice at this game so I can get more of a hang of the dynamics. As such, have put myself in the "New" category.

New Players:
1. [Reserved]
2. TN05
3. Shadowguynick
4. JonMilne

1. TA

Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 10:46:09 AM
New Players:
1. [Reserved]
2. TN05
3. Shadowguynick
4. JonMilne
5. Bullish

1. TA

0x5f3759df
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 12:57:27 PM
If I am good enough to be ringer, I'll do it.
Though, I am sure there are many better than me.
My work here is, finally, done.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:02:24 PM
I'll be a replacement...I'm not good enough to be a ringer, and I don't want to take the spot of a "real" noob.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:07:49 PM
New Players:
1. [Reserved]
2. TN05
3. Shadowguynick
4. JonMilne
5. Bullish
6. Beginner

7. Khaos_Mage
8. NightofTheLivingCats

1. TA
2. bladerunner

TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:12:44 PM
At 8/19/2013 1:07:49 PM, drafterman wrote:
: New Players:
1. [Reserved]
2. TN05
3. Shadowguynick
4. JonMilne
5. Bullish
6. Beginner

7. Khaos_Mage
8. NightofTheLivingCats

: Replacements (open to all players, preference given to noobs):
1. TA
2. bladerunner

Well, that was fast.
Beginner
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:19:07 PM
At 8/19/2013 1:16:03 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
I'll be the town advisor.

Is it me or is the town advisor basically a voteless town that cannot be killed?
Senpai has noticed you.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:22:19 PM
At 8/19/2013 1:19:07 PM, Beginner wrote:
At 8/19/2013 1:16:03 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
I'll be the town advisor.

Is it me or is the town advisor basically a voteless town that cannot be killed?

No moreso than the mafia advisor is a voteless mafioso that cannot be killed. He's not part of the game, per se. It'd be more accurate to say that he's a non-player that is allowed to comment in the game thread without being told to fvck off.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:25:02 PM
It was suggested sometime during the previous game and I like the idea. The mafia adviser only speaks in the Mafia PM and only advises the Mafia. I can teach basic mechanics and rules, but I can't help any one side and must remain impartial. A town adviser would be able to help the Town work on strategies, such as whether or not it's a good idea to fake claim, what are some common tells and such.

I'll work with FT on the specifics, as this is the first time we are doing this. I wouldn't want the adviser to "do the thinking" for the Town; so we'd have to talk about the scope and limits of the advice.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:26:24 PM
At 8/19/2013 1:25:02 PM, drafterman wrote:
It was suggested sometime during the previous game and I like the idea. The mafia adviser only speaks in the Mafia PM and only advises the Mafia. I can teach basic mechanics and rules, but I can't help any one side and must remain impartial. A town adviser would be able to help the Town work on strategies, such as whether or not it's a good idea to fake claim, what are some common tells and such.

I'll work with FT on the specifics, as this is the first time we are doing this. I wouldn't want the adviser to "do the thinking" for the Town; so we'd have to talk about the scope and limits of the advice.

What were the scope and limits of the Mafia advisor's advice in the last round?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:30:43 PM
At 8/19/2013 1:26:24 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

"He has no special knowledge about the game set-up or other players. Basically, he knows everything you know, but is here to lend his experience in helping you play the game as Mafia and to survive and win. He can only advise, all decisions are your own."

The Mafia adviser can make recommendations, but can't submit actions. However, I'm not sure if this translates 1-for-1 to the Town. I don't know, for example, if the Town adviser should indicate specific vote/lynch targets.

The primary issue for the mafia is behavioral: how to behave in a way as to not get lynched. This is far more fluid and ambiguous than the issue for the Town, which is who to lynch. I want to avoid the Town becoming inactive or not thinking for themselves and simply voting for whoever the Town adviser tells them too. That would wreck the game whereas, with a Mafia Adviser, even if they follow his directions, they still have to fend for themselves during the DP in not getting outed as scum.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:33:15 PM
At 8/19/2013 1:30:43 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 8/19/2013 1:26:24 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

"He has no special knowledge about the game set-up or other players. Basically, he knows everything you know, but is here to lend his experience in helping you play the game as Mafia and to survive and win. He can only advise, all decisions are your own."

The Mafia adviser can make recommendations, but can't submit actions. However, I'm not sure if this translates 1-for-1 to the Town. I don't know, for example, if the Town adviser should indicate specific vote/lynch targets.

The primary issue for the mafia is behavioral: how to behave in a way as to not get lynched. This is far more fluid and ambiguous than the issue for the Town, which is who to lynch. I want to avoid the Town becoming inactive or not thinking for themselves and simply voting for whoever the Town adviser tells them too. That would wreck the game whereas, with a Mafia Adviser, even if they follow his directions, they still have to fend for themselves during the DP in not getting outed as scum.

Fair enough. I was town throughout the last series, and I know we went off on some wild and irresponsible tangents, is all.
TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:34:03 PM
@Drafterman

a Personal Friend I know IRL is going to sign up.

Consider this confirmation that he is not a troll.

He will be Ice_King or something like that.

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:35:50 PM
At 8/19/2013 1:34:03 PM, TheAntidoter wrote:
@Drafterman

a Personal Friend I know IRL is going to sign up.

Consider this confirmation that he is not a troll.

He will be Ice_King or something like that.

Confirmed.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:37:39 PM
New Players:
1. [Reserved for Blackhawk's Brother]
2. TN05
3. Shadowguynick
4. JonMilne
5. Bullish
6. [Reserved for TA's friend]

7. Khaos_Mage
8. NightofTheLivingCats

1. Beginner
2. bladerunner
3. TA

1. FourTrouble

TheAntidoter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:50:42 PM
Here was his old account:

I believe he is either making a new one, or trying to log on.

http://www.debate.org...

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
blackhawk1331
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 2:54:50 PM