Total Posts:67|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Beginner Games 16.x - Sign Ups!

drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 7:06:42 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Mafia University
Want to know what this strange, oddly compelling game mafia is? Know what mafia is but wish to bone up on your skills? Mafia University is the place for you!

You will be put through a boot-camp of three mafia games. Each game is designed to teach you the basics of mafia in a progressive fashion, leading up to the themed games that predominate DDO Mafia. The curriculum is as follows:

Round 1: Introduction to Mafia, Mafia Basics and Role Madness!
Round 2: Flavors, Misinformation, Information Denial, and Third Parties
Round 3: Themed Game

The games are designed for maximum exposure, not balance. The idea is to have new players deal with all of the different circumstances that may commonly run up against in normal mafia games.

The sign-up sheet below is for all three games. That way, each person gets the full effect of the beginners' course and also helps keeps things moving.

New Players:
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.

Ringers (experienced players):
7.
8.

Replacements (open to all players, preference given to noobs):
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Town Advisor: (Optional; May comment in Day Phase thread to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)
1.

Mafia Advisor: (Optional; Participates in mafia PM to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)
1.

What constitutes a "New" player versus an "Experienced" player? My personal, arbitrary, discretion. My primary goal is to get a game up and running, otherwise no one benefits. However, slots will be given to newer/lesser experienced/lesser ability players as a matter of preference. If you are not such a player (or I don't believe you are such a player), then feel free to sign up, but also be prepared to have your slot taken away and given to someone who will benefit from it more. Other than that, the game is open to all.

Advice: If you are not already my friend, when signing up, add me as a friend. This will make things go faster.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 7:07:49 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
New Players:
1. [Reserved]
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.

Ringers (experienced players):
7.
8.

Replacements (open to all players, preference given to noobs):
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Town Advisor: (Optional; May comment in Day Phase thread to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)
1.

Mafia Advisor: (Optional; Participates in mafia PM to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)
1.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 8:29:20 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/19/2013 8:28:06 AM, TN05 wrote:
I'll sign up; not sure if I am 'experienced' now, but The last game was great.

Any new players that signed up for the previous set can sign up for this one. You guys were a great batch. Keep in mind that I will give preference to players with less experience.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 8:29:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
New Players:
1. [Reserved]
2. TN05
3.
4.
5.
6.

Ringers (experienced players):
7.
8.

Replacements (open to all players, preference given to noobs):
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

Town Advisor: (Optional; May comment in Day Phase thread to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)
1.

Mafia Advisor:
(Optional; Participates in mafia PM to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)
1.
TheAntidoter
Posts: 4,323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 9:43:48 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/19/2013 8:29:52 AM, drafterman wrote:
New Players:
1. [Reserved]
2. TN05
3.
4.
5.
6.

Ringers (experienced players):
7.
8.

Replacements (open to all players, preference given to noobs):
1. TA
2.
3.
4.
5.

Town Advisor: (Optional; May comment in Day Phase thread to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)
1.

Mafia Advisor:
(Optional; Participates in mafia PM to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)
1.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 9:46:43 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
New Players:
1. [Reserved]
2. TN05
3. Shadowguynick
4.
5.
6.

Ringers (experienced players):

7.
8.

Replacements (open to all players, preference given to noobs):

1. TA
2.
3.
4.
5.

Town Advisor: (Optional; May comment in Day Phase thread to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)
1.

Mafia Advisor: (Optional; Participates in mafia PM to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)
1.
Shadowguynick
Posts: 516
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 9:51:31 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/19/2013 9:46:43 AM, drafterman wrote:
New Players:
1. [Reserved]
2. TN05
3. Shadowguynick
4.
5.
6.

Ringers (experienced players):

7.
8.

Replacements (open to all players, preference given to noobs):

1. TA
2.
3.
4.
5.

Town Advisor: (Optional; May comment in Day Phase thread to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)
1.

Mafia Advisor: (Optional; Participates in mafia PM to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)
1.

Yes! :)
JonMilne
Posts: 1,302
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 10:25:33 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
It is okay for me to join right? I am still relatively a noob and I'm sure I could benefit from more practice at this game so I can get more of a hang of the dynamics. As such, have put myself in the "New" category.

New Players:
1. [Reserved]
2. TN05
3. Shadowguynick
4. JonMilne
5.
6.

Ringers (experienced players):
7.
8.

Replacements (open to all players, preference given to noobs):
1. TA
2.
3.
4.
5.

Town Advisor: (Optional; May comment in Day Phase thread to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)
1.

Mafia Advisor: (Optional; Participates in mafia PM to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)
1.
Bullish
Posts: 3,527
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 10:46:09 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
New Players:
1. [Reserved]
2. TN05
3. Shadowguynick
4. JonMilne
5. Bullish
6.

Ringers (experienced players):
7.
8.

Replacements (open to all players, preference given to noobs):
1. TA
2.
3.
4.
5.

Town Advisor: (Optional; May comment in Day Phase thread to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)
1.

Mafia Advisor: (Optional; Participates in mafia PM to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)
1.
0x5f3759df
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 12:57:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
If I am good enough to be ringer, I'll do it.
Though, I am sure there are many better than me.
My work here is, finally, done.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:02:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'll be a replacement...I'm not good enough to be a ringer, and I don't want to take the spot of a "real" noob.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:07:49 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
New Players:
1. [Reserved]
2. TN05
3. Shadowguynick
4. JonMilne
5. Bullish
6. Beginner

Ringers (experienced players):
7. Khaos_Mage
8. NightofTheLivingCats

Replacements (open to all players, preference given to noobs):
1. TA
2. bladerunner
3.
4.
5.

Town Advisor: (Optional; May comment in Day Phase thread to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)
1.

Mafia Advisor: (Optional; Participates in mafia PM to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)
1.
TN05
Posts: 4,492
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:12:44 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/19/2013 1:07:49 PM, drafterman wrote:
: New Players:
1. [Reserved]
2. TN05
3. Shadowguynick
4. JonMilne
5. Bullish
6. Beginner

Ringers (experienced players):
7. Khaos_Mage
8. NightofTheLivingCats

: Replacements (open to all players, preference given to noobs):
1. TA
2. bladerunner
3.
4.
5.

Town Advisor: (Optional; May comment in Day Phase thread to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)
1.

Mafia Advisor: (Optional; Participates in mafia PM to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)
1.

Well, that was fast.
Beginner
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:19:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/19/2013 1:16:03 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
I'll be the town advisor.

Is it me or is the town advisor basically a voteless town that cannot be killed?
Senpai has noticed you.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:22:19 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/19/2013 1:19:07 PM, Beginner wrote:
At 8/19/2013 1:16:03 PM, FourTrouble wrote:
I'll be the town advisor.

Is it me or is the town advisor basically a voteless town that cannot be killed?

No moreso than the mafia advisor is a voteless mafioso that cannot be killed. He's not part of the game, per se. It'd be more accurate to say that he's a non-player that is allowed to comment in the game thread without being told to fvck off.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:25:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
It was suggested sometime during the previous game and I like the idea. The mafia adviser only speaks in the Mafia PM and only advises the Mafia. I can teach basic mechanics and rules, but I can't help any one side and must remain impartial. A town adviser would be able to help the Town work on strategies, such as whether or not it's a good idea to fake claim, what are some common tells and such.

I'll work with FT on the specifics, as this is the first time we are doing this. I wouldn't want the adviser to "do the thinking" for the Town; so we'd have to talk about the scope and limits of the advice.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:26:24 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/19/2013 1:25:02 PM, drafterman wrote:
It was suggested sometime during the previous game and I like the idea. The mafia adviser only speaks in the Mafia PM and only advises the Mafia. I can teach basic mechanics and rules, but I can't help any one side and must remain impartial. A town adviser would be able to help the Town work on strategies, such as whether or not it's a good idea to fake claim, what are some common tells and such.

I'll work with FT on the specifics, as this is the first time we are doing this. I wouldn't want the adviser to "do the thinking" for the Town; so we'd have to talk about the scope and limits of the advice.

What were the scope and limits of the Mafia advisor's advice in the last round?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:30:43 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/19/2013 1:26:24 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 8/19/2013 1:25:02 PM, drafterman wrote:
It was suggested sometime during the previous game and I like the idea. The mafia adviser only speaks in the Mafia PM and only advises the Mafia. I can teach basic mechanics and rules, but I can't help any one side and must remain impartial. A town adviser would be able to help the Town work on strategies, such as whether or not it's a good idea to fake claim, what are some common tells and such.

I'll work with FT on the specifics, as this is the first time we are doing this. I wouldn't want the adviser to "do the thinking" for the Town; so we'd have to talk about the scope and limits of the advice.

What were the scope and limits of the Mafia advisor's advice in the last round?

"He has no special knowledge about the game set-up or other players. Basically, he knows everything you know, but is here to lend his experience in helping you play the game as Mafia and to survive and win. He can only advise, all decisions are your own."

The Mafia adviser can make recommendations, but can't submit actions. However, I'm not sure if this translates 1-for-1 to the Town. I don't know, for example, if the Town adviser should indicate specific vote/lynch targets.

The primary issue for the mafia is behavioral: how to behave in a way as to not get lynched. This is far more fluid and ambiguous than the issue for the Town, which is who to lynch. I want to avoid the Town becoming inactive or not thinking for themselves and simply voting for whoever the Town adviser tells them too. That would wreck the game whereas, with a Mafia Adviser, even if they follow his directions, they still have to fend for themselves during the DP in not getting outed as scum.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:33:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/19/2013 1:30:43 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 8/19/2013 1:26:24 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 8/19/2013 1:25:02 PM, drafterman wrote:
It was suggested sometime during the previous game and I like the idea. The mafia adviser only speaks in the Mafia PM and only advises the Mafia. I can teach basic mechanics and rules, but I can't help any one side and must remain impartial. A town adviser would be able to help the Town work on strategies, such as whether or not it's a good idea to fake claim, what are some common tells and such.

I'll work with FT on the specifics, as this is the first time we are doing this. I wouldn't want the adviser to "do the thinking" for the Town; so we'd have to talk about the scope and limits of the advice.

What were the scope and limits of the Mafia advisor's advice in the last round?

"He has no special knowledge about the game set-up or other players. Basically, he knows everything you know, but is here to lend his experience in helping you play the game as Mafia and to survive and win. He can only advise, all decisions are your own."

The Mafia adviser can make recommendations, but can't submit actions. However, I'm not sure if this translates 1-for-1 to the Town. I don't know, for example, if the Town adviser should indicate specific vote/lynch targets.

The primary issue for the mafia is behavioral: how to behave in a way as to not get lynched. This is far more fluid and ambiguous than the issue for the Town, which is who to lynch. I want to avoid the Town becoming inactive or not thinking for themselves and simply voting for whoever the Town adviser tells them too. That would wreck the game whereas, with a Mafia Adviser, even if they follow his directions, they still have to fend for themselves during the DP in not getting outed as scum.

Fair enough. I was town throughout the last series, and I know we went off on some wild and irresponsible tangents, is all.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
TheAntidoter
Posts: 4,323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:34:03 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
@Drafterman

a Personal Friend I know IRL is going to sign up.

Consider this confirmation that he is not a troll.

He will be Ice_King or something like that.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:35:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 8/19/2013 1:34:03 PM, TheAntidoter wrote:
@Drafterman

a Personal Friend I know IRL is going to sign up.

Consider this confirmation that he is not a troll.

He will be Ice_King or something like that.

Confirmed.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:37:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
New Players:
1. [Reserved for Blackhawk's Brother]
2. TN05
3. Shadowguynick
4. JonMilne
5. Bullish
6. [Reserved for TA's friend]

Ringers (experienced players):
7. Khaos_Mage
8. NightofTheLivingCats

Replacements (open to all players, preference given to noobs):
1. Beginner
2. bladerunner
3. TA
4.
5.

Town Advisor: (Optional; May comment in Day Phase thread to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)
1. FourTrouble

Mafia Advisor: (Optional; Participates in mafia PM to give advice; has no special knowledge of the game)
1.
TheAntidoter
Posts: 4,323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 1:50:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Here was his old account:

I believe he is either making a new one, or trying to log on.

http://www.debate.org...
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
blackhawk1331
Posts: 4,932
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/19/2013 2:54:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'll be the mafia advisor.
Because you said it was a waste, numb nuts. - Drafter

So fvck you. :) - TV

Use prima facie correctly or not at all. - Noumena