Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Can a Full Dive Game Experience Be Real?

Etudiant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 5:01:08 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
The truth is I am not really a fan of video games. However, I just heard about this anime called Sword Art Online. I thought that the concept of this show is actually a great business idea. For those of you who haven't seen the show, it is basically a full dive video game experience. A player has to wear a helmet, which allows to transport your conscience into the world of virtual reality. Your body is the only controller that you have in this fictional world of mystery and infinite possibilities. After hearing about this idea, I began wondering why something like that has not been created yet. Do you know why? Technology has improved significantly over the last few years. Video games graphics now have a higher resolution than they used to. How long do you think it will take before we will have a full dive video game experience? Are any companies working on something like that right now?
Shadowguynick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 9:40:34 PM
At 8/28/2013 5:01:08 AM, Etudiant wrote:
The truth is I am not really a fan of video games. However, I just heard about this anime called Sword Art Online. I thought that the concept of this show is actually a great business idea. For those of you who haven't seen the show, it is basically a full dive video game experience. A player has to wear a helmet, which allows to transport your conscience into the world of virtual reality. Your body is the only controller that you have in this fictional world of mystery and infinite possibilities. After hearing about this idea, I began wondering why something like that has not been created yet. Do you know why? Technology has improved significantly over the last few years. Video games graphics now have a higher resolution than they used to. How long do you think it will take before we will have a full dive video game experience? Are any companies working on something like that right now?

They are working on something similar. It won't be like you are hooked up to a machine which transmits brain signals or anything. It is more or less a virtual reality helmet, with a little track which lets you move in place, and moves you in the game. It is almost a full dive experience, but you can obviously tell you are not actually in the game. To have the kind of experience you are talking about we need to make a system that can pick up our brain signals, and then transmit them and decode them to read one motion. The technology sort of, kind of exists (primitive though) but is definitely not up to the task of controlling a videogame. Also any system that could do this would be too large for home use. So sadly gamers must wait for another decade or so until the technology is available. Until then we will peacefully rage quit CoD, and realize that a five year old is better at mario kart than us.
Etudiant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 11:40:05 PM
At 8/28/2013 9:41:38 PM, Shadowguynick wrote:
I would say within the next 20 to 30 years we will have it, if it takes that long.

You know, when the computers were created at first, they were also pretty huge. However, it took only about 7-8 years to transform that technology into a PC, laptop and finally a smartphone or a tablet. The progress could occur faster than you think. Btw, your response intrigued me. You said that the technology already exists, although it is quite primitive. What does it look like and who is developing it?
Shadowguynick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/28/2013 11:54:37 PM
At 8/28/2013 11:40:05 PM, Etudiant wrote:
At 8/28/2013 9:41:38 PM, Shadowguynick wrote:
I would say within the next 20 to 30 years we will have it, if it takes that long.

You know, when the computers were created at first, they were also pretty huge. However, it took only about 7-8 years to transform that technology into a PC, laptop and finally a smartphone or a tablet. The progress could occur faster than you think. Btw, your response intrigued me. You said that the technology already exists, although it is quite primitive. What does it look like and who is developing it?

They are trying to develop technology that can detect brain waves and stuff. It's in earlier stages, though we are making progress. Computers did grow exponentially smaller fast, but I think we are facing a much more complicated issue since our brains are so complex. It will be hard to figure out how we can make a machine that can pick out signals in our brain that correspond to the game we're playing, and also that the players can consciously send these signals out without disrupting anything around us. We are pretty close to achieving a really good VR. I don't know who is developing these, I have only seen these things from time to time, although apparently the Virtual Reality is close to completion. I will try to find you a link to that.
Shadowguynick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 5:33:06 PM
At 8/29/2013 12:12:27 PM, Beginner wrote:
If it were cheaper (less than 100), I think I'd buy that thing! :D

I know, it's so cool. It's almost as much as a console, which sucks, but it will probably eventually go down in price.
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2013 5:56:47 PM
They already have these. It's really expensive and isn't very polished.

I'll try to find the article.
0x5f3759df
SrToxinGaming
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/16/2015 10:30:24 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
If you have seen the hit anime Sword Art Online (or S.A.O for short) you most likely know what the nerve gear is and what it does. Going into this though i will explain what it exactly does as if no one has ever heard of it. The Nerve Gear is a VR device (or virtual reality device). I have posted pictures as to what it looks like nerve gear.jpg sao nerve gear.jpg . Through the device every sense is being used. When you are in the game you smell the things around you, you can taste everything you eat. You can see and hear everything around you in a photo realalistic enviroment. You can feel everything as if it were in the real world right in front of you. (Please note the sensation of touch and feel is not to the of the real world though.) When i say you can feel things i mean each type of feeling, mechanical reception the feeling of contact, thermo reception the feeling of hot and cold, stretch reception the feeling of muscle compression, kinestesia the sensing of body movements, proprioception the sensation of a body's place, and equilibriaception the sensation of balance. So i will break down what we have and what we will most likely have in the near future if everthing goes right that has to do with these five senses. Photorealistic graphics are expected to be around by the year 2020 as predicted by the scientist Michio Kaku. (thats two years before S.A.O is even released in the anime). Headphones are already great and will only get better with time. With taste and smell finding the answer will exponentially help the as the two senses are so closely related. touch is the big one here, there are many devices to simulate each type of touch i described but it would need to be all in one and need to all fit with in the helmet used as it is the only peice of equipment used in the show (though it is connected to a strong pc). the device would only need to touch your head and still give you feeling anywhere on your body. As for the controls they are completly controlled through the brain. You have the full range of movement that you have in the real world in the game, (without ever actually moving in real life). I would imagine this would be done through an EEG (electroencephalogram) that could take the brain's electrical signals used to move and redirect them into a computer that would us them as movement commands. By the way none of this is invasive so nothing has to connect into your body. So give your ideas to how far along we are to doing this and new tech that would make this possible. i personaly plan on going to college to create such a device so please lets start a discussion about this. i believe this is all possible because if humans put there mind to it anything can be created. An example of this is the atom bomb, everyone thought it was impossible to split an atom but we did it and now we have nuclear generators and reactors.

How Long Until We Could Make A Real Sword Art Online (sao) Nerve Gear Type Device?
I"ll approach this question by break down what the Nerve Gear helmet in SAO and the SAO MORPG computer program is shown doing:
Simulating a realistic world for many (on the order of 10000) simultaneous users
Reading brain states with sufficiently high spatial and temporal resolution
Analyzing in real time the read brain states to create input data for #1
Writing brain states with sufficiently high spatial and temporal resolution
IMHO, #1 could be done now. Note that the simulated world doesn"t need to be a truly accurate simulation, modeling very complicated things like weather and biology, only accurate enough to give the appearance of a real world. Such simulation parallelize well, so the computer hardware necessary to run them scales well " the size of the simulated world and number of users can be increased to within reasonable limits by adding hardware.

#2 and 4 are harder questions, both to state precisely and to answer. Notice my use of the wiggle-word "sufficiently". To the best of my knowledge, we don"t at present have a good guess as to how high a spatial resolution is necessary to capture the data needed for #3. However from well-known brain data, we can estimate a resolution that must be sufficient, though the actual needed resolution may not need to be so great.

The number of neurons in the human brain is about 1011, its volume about 0.0012 m2 (source: this 2013 Nature Article). From this, you can calculate the spatial resolution necessary to image individual neurons: about 0.00001 m (10 microns).

For temporal resolution, we know that the fastest changes in nerves - their "action potentials" " is on the order of 0.001 seconds (1 milisecond)

Present day fMRI brain imaging machines have a maximum spatial resolution of about 0.002 m, and a temporal resolution (how long they take to capture a full brain image) of about 1 second. To the best of my knowledge, the temporal resolution of fMRI could be increased by a factor of 1000 without undue difficulty " there"s no great drive to do so, because its current performance is good enough for its primary use in medicine. The spatial resolution, however, I understand has a theoretical maximum of about 0.0001 m, 10 times to course to image individual neurons. (source: this 2000 conference paper draft)

The conclusion I get from this is that, unless the actual needed resolution for #2 is much less than individual neurons, MRI technology isn"t feasible. MRI has the highest resolution of present-day non-intrusive brain imaging technologies, so either an entirely new approach is needed, or an intrusive one.

Remind me again of the evidence that we are not already in a simulation. :)