BEGINNERS 16.2 - Day Phase One

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 10:51:37 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Introduction - Third Parties and Misinformation

So far you've only been playing with two parties: The Town and Mafia. This game we will introduce Third Parties. These parties are in it for themselves. They are anti-town AND anti-mafia. Depending on the game and the mod, third parties win by themselves, when certain conditions are met, or can win with either the Town or the Mafia. In this game, joint wins are possible!

This game also introduces the concept of flavors. Flavors are the adjectives of Mafia, altering how roles work. Here are some common flavors:

These Flavors are usually made known to the player:
Even/Odd - Roles with these modifiers can only work on Even or Odd-numbered Night Phases
X-Shot - Roles with these modifiers can only be used X number of times.

These Flavors are usually hidden from the player (their role PM is that of the normal, unflavored variety):
Paranoid - For Cops and other investigative roles, they receive all Guitly-type results. For Doctors, they role-block their target.
Naive - For Cops and other investigative roles, they receive all Innocent-type results. For Doctors and other non-investigative roles, they do nothing.
Insane - For Cops, they receive results opposite of the Truth
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 10:53:29 AM
Round 2:
This Round will introduce you to third parties and flavors.

Set-Up:
The roles found in this game are from the following list and only from the following list:
Town Roles
Cop - Investigates Players' alignments
Dreamer - Learns players' alignments passively
Priest - Learns roles of players that visit him
Role Cop - Learns players' roles
Tracker - Learns who players visit
Watcher - Learns who visits a player
Oracle - Reveals a player's role upon death
Coroner - Can learn the affiliation and role of a dead player.
Bodyguard - Redirects lethal actions to self
Bulletproof - Immune to night kills
Doctor - Prevents the deaths of players
Virgin - If lynched, prevents all deaths the following Night Phase
Ascetic - Cannot be targeted by non-lethal actions.
Commuter - Cannot be targeted at night.
Sidekick - Redirects non-lethal actions from another player to himself.
Bomb - If killed at night, kills his killer
Hunter - If lynched, may kill another player
Paranoid Gun Owner - Kills anyone that visits him at night
Super Saint - If lynched, kills whoever placed the last vote
Vigilante - May kill another player at night
Universal Backup - Assumes the role of the first Town player to die
Mimic - May copy another player's role
Roleblocker - May prevent another player from using their role
Innocent Child - Mod confirmed as a Townie during a certain Day Phase
Vanilla - Has no role
Jack of All Trades (JOAT) - has 1x: Cop, Doctor, Vigilante

Mafia Roles
Role Cop - Learns players' roles
Suicide Bomber - May kill another player during the day, dying in the process
Mimic - May copy another player's role
Scout - Learns who players visit
Lookout - Learns who visits a player
Role Stealer- Can permanently steal and use another player's role.
Ascetic - Same as Town.
Bus Driver - Switches the actions performed on two players.
Jack of All Trades has 1x: Role Cop, Role Block, Frame
Commuter - Same as Town.
Framer - Can make another player investigate as non-Town to sane (non-flavored) investigative roles.
Rolestopper - Can make another player immune to non-lethal actions.
Godfather - Investigates as Town to sane (non-flavored) investigative roles.
Janitor - Can choose to hide the role and affiliation of a killed player.
Lawyer - Can make another player investigate as Town to sane (non-flavored) investigative roles.
Ninja - Does not appear on tracker/watcher reports.
Redirector - Can change another player's intended target.
Roleblocker - Prevents the use of another player's role.

Third Party Roles
Serial Killer - Each night may kill another player. Wins when all other players are dead (joint win not possible).
Survivor - Wins by surviving until another faction achieves its win condition (joint win possible).

There is a maximum of only one of each role.

Roles, Affiliations, and any Flavors. have been assigned randomly.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 10:54:13 AM
Living Players:
1. Fisher28
2. Bullish
3. Shadowguynick
4. Sparkies
5. Matbag24
6. OhHello
7. Khaos_Mage
8. bladerunner

Replacements Pool:
1. JonMilne
3. Beginner
4. TN05
5. TA

Town Advisor: FourTrouble - FourTrouble has no additional or special knowledge of the game set-up or mechanics, nor does he know who is Town or who has what roles. He is here to offer his expertise and experience to help the Town in making best use of their Day Phases.

With 8 players, it takes 5 votes to lynch.
This Day Phase will end no lather than 11:00 AM on 9/13 DDO Time.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 2:20:58 PM
Hey, I get to participate this time!

VTL Khaos for claim.
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Shadowguynick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 3:18:09 PM
At 9/11/2013 2:36:20 PM, Bullish wrote:
My role starts with "V" :)

You must be the van...dalist! You vandalize for a living! Scumbag. I knew I shouldn't have trusted you.

^Sarcasm.
Shadowguynick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 3:27:13 PM
In all seriousness though, I look to our ringers to propose a way to start. Obviously last game we got a little carried away with the role claim thing. Role claims are not bad, as long as they are approached right. I think bladerunner has started this right. VTL Khaos.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 5:08:53 PM
At 9/11/2013 3:27:13 PM, Shadowguynick wrote:
In all seriousness though, I look to our ringers to propose a way to start. Obviously last game we got a little carried away with the role claim thing. Role claims are not bad, as long as they are approached right. I think bladerunner has started this right. VTL Khaos.

Why do you think Blade started this off right? What if I have a power role?
This is 100% opposite play of you last game DP1, in which you were petrified of outing roles.

And, again, as I have said, why is this any better than my opening move last game? You already want one role at random vs. two voluntarily. Which is more dangerous?

In this set-up, outing our roles is more dangerous because:
1. They are random (which they were in the last game, but I didn't realize that until DP2) This means there is no mod psych or balance to be considered. (Remember when I said that Ohhello's claim of cop was expected, then I doubted it after Drafter posted that roles were random?)
2. Since they are random, if a random person is outing their role, there is actually less chance of protection, since there is still only a handful of protection roles, but more possible roles.

VTL Shadowguynick for such a deviation from his town play last game
My work here is, finally, done.
Matbag24
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 8:06:31 PM
VTL Shadowguynick. Khaos has a point, its a total 180 from the last round. Also, Bullish, why are you VTLing someone when its only the first DP and people have yet to wake up or are too busy currently to check on the game?
Matbag24
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 8:13:13 PM
I think Bladerunner is pretty scummy, especially when he's trying to determine power rolls and non power roll players. This would easily set him up for an effective NK.
Fisher28
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 8:22:19 PM
Sorry I didn't post sooner, Blackhawk told me just an hour ago that the new game was up, I'm just finishing up some school projects today, inactivity won't be a norm for me.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 8:25:16 PM
At 9/11/2013 8:13:13 PM, Matbag24 wrote:
I think Bladerunner is pretty scummy, especially when he's trying to determine power rolls and non power roll players. This would easily set him up for an effective NK.

No, Blade is doing what I actually expected him to do.
Blade knows and understands RVS, and its consequences. He is in the town pile to me.
I assume he is operating under the assumption that one of the two ringers is mafia, which is more likely than not to NOT be the case. (I think I said that right... 1 ringer mafia chance < 2 ringer townie chance)

If the roles weren't randomized, I would have went after Bullish for being scum.

But, tell me Blade, why me to start?
I doubt it was truly random.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 8:27:10 PM
At 9/11/2013 8:22:19 PM, Fisher28 wrote:
Sorry I didn't post sooner, Blackhawk told me just an hour ago that the new game was up, I'm just finishing up some school projects today, inactivity won't be a norm for me.

Wait, what?
Blackhawk tole you what?
Blackhawk, the mafia advisor?

Unvote VTL Fisher
Shadow can wait.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 8:28:48 PM
I apologize for flaking on you guys last game, I honestly forgot about the game and remembered when I saw the endgame come up.

It's hard to advise you guys without overstepping (I don't want to give you my reads or tell you your reads are bad), and it's also hard because I can't tell if I'm talking to town or scum (as drafter has said, I don't have special knowledge of the game), but if you guys have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. If you think something someone did is scummy, I can tell you in the abstract whether what they did is a general scum-tell or not, from my perspective of course.

I can answer strategy questions, night-action questions, anything of that sort. It helps if you guys ask though because I'm not sure exactly what kind of advice you guys are looking for.

I do want to see town win though, and I'll do my best to help you guys get there.
FourTrouble
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 8:30:14 PM
Here's some great advice that I think really helps: if you can't figure out who the scum are, or you aren't certain, flip things around and try looking for the townies. That always helps me when I get stuck.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 8:44:44 PM
I think we can safely (and rarely) get through this first DP without outing any roles.
I don't see any reason why Blackhawk would be telling Fisher about the game specifically, unless he is mafia.

I honestly can't see me changing my vote regardless of what his role is.
If it is a power role, it could just as well be a gambit to survive to the NP.

I'm willing to take the risk, regardless of what his role is, because of this MASSIVE slip.

The only thing that would make me reconsider is if someone else would verify that Blackhawk contacted them specifically about the game.
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 9:55:55 PM

Derp I keep my vote.
0x5f3759df
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 9:56:51 PM
At 9/11/2013 8:06:31 PM, Matbag24 wrote:
VTL Shadowguynick. Khaos has a point, its a total 180 from the last round. Also, Bullish, why are you VTLing someone when its only the first DP and people have yet to wake up or are too busy currently to check on the game?

You see why now? :)

I'm voting for you next DP.
0x5f3759df
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 10:06:52 PM
At 9/11/2013 9:55:55 PM, Bullish wrote:

Derp I keep my vote.

Why are you not voting on this?!?
What possible reason could there be to have the mafia advisor be contacting a player, if they aren't mafia?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 10:08:24 PM
At 9/11/2013 10:06:52 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 9/11/2013 9:55:55 PM, Bullish wrote:

Derp I keep my vote.

Why are you not voting on this?!?
What possible reason could there be to have the mafia advisor be contacting a player, if they aren't mafia?

Nevermind. Your vote was already on him.
For some reason I thought you were voting me, and saw his post, and refused to vote on Fisher.
Fisher28
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 10:21:58 PM
No, Khaos, you dont understand, Blackhawk and I r brothers, he didn't contact me, he literally walked into the room and said game 2 is up. he didn't contact me through the site. Ask him yourself if you need to.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 10:25:30 PM
At 9/11/2013 10:21:58 PM, Fisher28 wrote:
No, Khaos, you dont understand, Blackhawk and I r brothers, he didn't contact me, he literally walked into the room and said game 2 is up. he didn't contact me through the site. Ask him yourself if you need to.

I'm not going to start a thread to ask him a question. I believe that is against the rules.

However... for the time being, let me check something.
Unvote
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 10:31:12 PM
At 9/11/2013 10:25:30 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 9/11/2013 10:21:58 PM, Fisher28 wrote:

I'm not going to start a thread to ask him a question. I believe that is against the rules.

However... for the time being, let me check something.
Unvote

Alright, that checks out.
Posts 51 and 59 of the sign up thread suggest you are telling the truth... about that anyway.

It is a believable reason, I'll give you that.
But, it could also be cover for your slip.

I think you should out your role, though.
I don't want to put my vote back on you in case others act impulsively.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2013 10:34:16 PM
Fisher,
Out your role please as you are the best lynch so far today. That mistake/slip is damning.
Also, what are you views about Shadow's 180?

Do you have any reads?
Matbag24
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 12:05:54 AM
Unvote I have no idea of anything... but if we can't lynch anyone today, we should lynch Sparkies because he's the biggest liability if you read DP 3 from last round. He YOLOed and made us lose. (Fisher is just bandwagoned)
Matbag24
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/12/2013 12:08:16 AM
At 9/12/2013 12:05:54 AM, Matbag24 wrote:
Unvote I have no idea of anything... but if we can't lynch anyone today, we should lynch Sparkies because he's the biggest liability if you read DP 3 from last round. He YOLOed and made us lose. (Fisher is just bandwagoned)

Fisher just bandwagoned*