Gamespot's review for GTA V

ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2013 9:38:28 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://www.gamespot.com...
Gamespot gave it a 9/10 because women weren't well portrayed...

In a game where the main focus is to provide masculine personas with masculine adventures, a judgement based on one of the core themes of GTA is 100% unfair. If you're going to do that, then at least judge the other side of the paradigm (aka all the bad/unacceptable things YOU do in the game). Honestly, I think the game's score should be boosted for having pursued its thematic goals with such accuracy!

What are your thoughts?
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2013 2:54:28 PM
At 9/21/2013 9:38:28 AM, ben2974 wrote:
What are your thoughts?

There's a time and place for portraying women in one way versus another. If it fits the game to portray a woman as a glorified sex doll or something, by all means, go for it. But if a woman in a game is meant to be attractive, strong, and capable (like in the Lara Croft games), then you're making a huge mistake by marketing her based on her looks (which basically all games with attractive female characters do). Half the population is female. By marketing a game or two in a way that it doesn't necessarily appeal to people of one gender over another, developers could really tap into a huge market of female gamers that, at the moment, seem to be focused on casual games. But to do this with GTA V would have been a mistake. It's an established franchise with a huge market already carved out for it. Changing the way the game is presented would only alienate that market, without introducing anyone new to the game because they already have their preconceptions of it. Gamespot was wrong to dock points for the game's portrayal of women.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 5:12:21 AM
I think the controversy is a bit unfortunate on several levels. For Carolyn Petit personally, as her position in the video game journalism field has to be difficult enough as a transgendered individual without the additional fanboy rage of game review reactions that has inevitably become nasty given the circumstances.

Anyone easily offended shouldn't even consider picking up a GTA game, and anyone not aware of this, whether it be it's misogyny, racism, or other "endorsements" of anti-social behavior, has no business reviewing the game for a major publication. GTA is extreme satire and doesn't censor itself or shy away from controversy (with one exception).

Having watched Carolyn's review, it didn't seem like she focused that much on this, and 9/10 is a perfectly appropriate score. If she did dock it for "misogyny" though, which isn't clearly the case, then I would question the wisdom of that. Even though she wrote as a negative that the game is "profoundly misogynistic", I doubt that this is the only reason why she didn't score the game as a perfect 10.

Ultimately, 9/10 is an appropriate score for the game, and while I question the wisdom of her pointing out (as negatives) certain aspects of the game, I believe that fair or not, this controversy has more to do with who she is, than how she reviewed the game.
Debate.org Moderator
ben2974
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 4:51:54 PM
At 9/22/2013 2:54:28 PM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
At 9/21/2013 9:38:28 AM, ben2974 wrote:
What are your thoughts?

There's a time and place for portraying women in one way versus another. If it fits the game to portray a woman as a glorified sex doll or something, by all means, go for it. But if a woman in a game is meant to be attractive, strong, and capable (like in the Lara Croft games), then you're making a huge mistake by marketing her based on her looks (which basically all games with attractive female characters do). Half the population is female. By marketing a game or two in a way that it doesn't necessarily appeal to people of one gender over another, developers could really tap into a huge market of female gamers that, at the moment, seem to be focused on casual games. But to do this with GTA V would have been a mistake. It's an established franchise with a huge market already carved out for it. Changing the way the game is presented would only alienate that market, without introducing anyone new to the game because they already have their preconceptions of it. Gamespot was wrong to dock points for the game's portrayal of women.

Dude, nicely said.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 5:56:15 PM
I loved a scene where one of the character's aunt (I think) went with 2 of her girlfriends for a run, and they repeated, "We are women and we are FREE!" and one protagonist says, "Shut the f*** up" and they do it.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 6:02:06 PM
Nonetheless - I think the game should get around 9.5/10 score. The graphics is good for a current-gen game, especially with the huge view distance and map. Other than that - good overall gameplay, shooting mechanics, storyline, free roaming opportunities (stocks, property purchases, etc.), and a lot more with GTA Online to come.

The story was a bit hastened, and not as memorable as the one in GTA 4. Niko Bellic was easy for me to relate to due to ethnic/national/cultural similarities, and I found his story engaging and familiar. In GTA V, there isn't as much to be fascinated by in the story, other than with the great content it provides (especially the humour).

I'm slightly annoyed by poor textures on what could otherwise be very pretty landscape. And some of the map just feels way too empty, and useless. I think Rockstar chose size over content in those terms. Insanely good game overall though.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 11:02:11 PM
At 9/23/2013 6:02:06 PM, Mirza wrote:
Nonetheless - I think the game should get around 9.5/10 score. The graphics is good for a current-gen game, especially with the huge view distance and map. Other than that - good overall gameplay, shooting mechanics, storyline, free roaming opportunities (stocks, property purchases, etc.), and a lot more with GTA Online to come.

I pretty much agree, the game isn't perfect but its a blast to play and it pushes the current gen system to their limits.

The story was a bit hastened, and not as memorable as the one in GTA 4. Niko Bellic was easy for me to relate to due to ethnic/national/cultural similarities, and I found his story engaging and familiar. In GTA V, there isn't as much to be fascinated by in the story, other than with the great content it provides (especially the humour).

I agree with this and feel the same way for almost the same reason. Johnny Klebitz (lets avoid any spoilers about GTA 5) from the Lost and the Damned DLC is one of the only none stereotyped Jewish protagonists in video games that I can even think of. I can't relate to him at all, but I thought that was pretty cool. Otherwise GTA 4s story seems pretty grounded in reality and makes for a story that's ultimately easier to relate to. GTA 5s story is great. but it's more over the top. I haven't finished it yet, so I don't have any final thoughts on it, but it's easy to tell these games go in two different directions as far a story telling goes and have their own unique feel to them.

I'm slightly annoyed by poor textures on what could otherwise be very pretty landscape. And some of the map just feels way too empty, and useless. I think Rockstar chose size over content in those terms. Insanely good game overall though.

Agreed. Though the map is pretty impressive regardless. The amount of details is staggering.
Debate.org Moderator
Fractals
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 2:13:46 AM
At 9/23/2013 5:08:38 PM, drafterman wrote:
Is the notion here that you can't support masculinity without debasing femininity?

No, and that's not what was in her review. She pointed out the lack of strong well developed female characters in the presence of several strong well rounded male characters i.e. there was an unfortunate gender disparity in regards to character development. Her second point was the overt misogynistic tendencies in some areas of the game such as certain radio programs. GTA series is known for it's social commentary, yes, but it didn't appear in those cases to be satire.

As for the 9/10, even if the drop of 1 point was due to gender related issues, that's the point of being a reviewer. It's subjective. Her view points, as detailed by herself, arrived at that score.