BEGINNERS MAFIA 16.3 - Day Phase One

drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 10:58:52 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Introduction:

The essence of DDO Mafia is the themed game. Almost all games on mafia are themed games. A themed game introduces new elements (and sometimes new mechanics) that add complexity and (hopefully) fun to the game.

In addition to an alignment and a role, players are also given characters that fit in with the theme. The roles almost (but not always or necessarily) fit with the character. This can be expressed in a number of ways. For example, if the theme is a TV show or movie, and your character is a cop, officer, or policeman, he might very will have the Mafia role of "Cop" due to the similarity in profession, if not function. Alternatively, if the character isn't such an occupation, but is otherwise good at discerning between good and evil, they might also be a "Cop" due to the similarity in function, if not profession.

Themes are limited only by the imagination. Most have to do with some form of media, such as TV shows, Literature, and Movies. Others are more abstract, like philosophies or politics. Literally anything can be a theme.

As said, themes add new elements to the game, which are summarized as follows:

1. Partial-claiming. Role-claiming can be dangerous for Townies to do, as it helps mafia decide who they need to kill. Instead of role-claiming, you can character claim. While your character may hint at your role, it is still safer than full claiming.

2. Fake-claiming. Mafia normally have to fake claim their roles when forced to claim in theme-less games. In themed games they also have to fake claim characters. Arguably this is more difficult. In role-claiming, they simply have to avoid being counter-claimed. In character claiming, they have to claim a character from the theme, is consistent with their role, and is major enough to be expected (though not all characters in the game will be major).

3. Patterns. Usually, there will be some distinguishing factor between the different factions. Normally this is a good vs. evil type discrimination, but not always. Remember, the Mafia start the game knowing 1/3rd of the role PMs, so have a head start in discerning any patterns and obfuscating Town's ability to also learn it.

4. Mod Psychology. Creating a themed game, including writing PMs, requires more input from the mod. Based on analysis of the game's creation, how the role PMs are written, and any patterns discovered, you can try and determine how the game was constructed in an effort to hunt for scum. However, this is more of an art than a science. Mistakes and deliberately traps created by the mod can hinder such an analysis. Trying to predict the mod's psychology is a double edged sword.

This Game's Theme
G.I. JOE!

Good luck!
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 10:59:14 AM
Living Joes
1. G.I. Fisher28
2. G.I. Bullish
3. G.I. Shadowguynick
4. G.I. Sparkies
5. G.I. Matbag24
6. G.I. OhHello
7. G.I. Khaos_Mage
8. G.I. bladerunner

With 8 Joes, it takes 5 votes to Court Martial.
The Day Phase will end no later than 11:00 AM on 9/25/2013
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 12:14:51 PM
I tire of Sparkies' shenanigans.
VTL Sparkies for character claim

This means, I want you to say your character, not your role (role + character = full claim).
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 12:18:19 PM
Drafter, am I correct in assuming that roles were deliberately chosen, but assigned randomly?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 12:20:14 PM
At 9/23/2013 12:18:19 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Drafter, am I correct in assuming that roles were deliberately chosen, but assigned randomly?

In a sense. I chose characters at a whim (not "deliberately" per se, but not randomly) and assigned roles that most suited that character, then assigned to players randomly.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 1:26:42 PM
At 9/23/2013 12:20:14 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 9/23/2013 12:18:19 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

In a sense. I chose characters at a whim (not "deliberately" per se, but not randomly) and assigned roles that most suited that character, then assigned to players randomly.

Now I know, and knowing's half the battle...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 1:53:05 PM
At 9/23/2013 1:46:15 PM, Bullish wrote:
VTL Khaos_Mage

Putting him on the spot as usual.

Me on the spot? Why not Sparkies, who has had a penchant for lying and misleading his role? Had I been town, he would have lost us the game for lying about his role.

Now, finally, we can tie him down to a character.
Fisher28
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 2:26:10 PM
At 9/23/2013 1:53:05 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
VTL Khaos_Mage

Me on the spot? Why not Sparkies, who has had a penchant for lying and misleading his role? Had I been town, he would have lost us the game for lying about his role.

Khaos last game, sparkies might have purposely tried not to out so as to get himself lynched so he could kill you. It just so happens what he was doing matched up with his gameplay in the first round. Why are you bent on getting him to character claim?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 2:35:47 PM
At 9/23/2013 2:26:10 PM, Fisher28 wrote:
VTL Khaos_Mage

Khaos last game, sparkies might have purposely tried not to out so as to get himself lynched so he could kill you.
I'm not giving him that much credit.
He also would have killed a townie, because in the exact same situation, I would have advocated preventing all deaths and narrowing down the list of suspects.

It just so happens what he was doing matched up with his gameplay in the first round.
So, he is playing scummy to draw the lynch. That's great, as his roles necessitated that (or it's his normal gameplay). Fine. However, that also allows him to act scummy while actually scum.

Why are you bent on getting him to character claim?

1. We need to start somewhere.
2. His lying is annoying and detrimental to town. Last game, had he just come out and said he was virgin, that would be one thing, but he flipped and flopped trying to get lynched... It worked, but what if he does the same thing here, and is actually scum for it? How would we know?
3. A character locks him down a bit.

Sparkies, give us your character.
If you do not comply, you will be scum read by me, and the consequences are yours to bear.
OhHello
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 8:33:26 PM
At 9/23/2013 2:35:47 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 9/23/2013 2:26:10 PM, Fisher28 wrote:
Khaos last game, sparkies might have purposely tried not to out so as to get himself lynched so he could kill you.
I'm not giving him that much credit.
He also would have killed a townie, because in the exact same situation, I would have advocated preventing all deaths and narrowing down the list of suspects.
Whereas I would give him that much credit. Trust me, he's not as stupid as he acts.
It just so happens what he was doing matched up with his gameplay in the first round.
So, he is playing scummy to draw the lynch. That's great, as his roles necessitated that (or it's his normal gameplay). Fine. However, that also allows him to act scummy while actually scum.
Ok, this I can see. However, both times he's been trying to act scummy, and as such has looked pretty damn scummy. When he's not trying to look scummy he will likely act differently.
Why are you bent on getting him to character claim?
1. We need to start somewhere.
2. His lying is annoying and detrimental to town. Last game, had he just come out and said he was virgin, that would be one thing, but he flipped and flopped trying to get lynched... It worked, but what if he does the same thing here, and is actually scum for it? How would we know?
Both times, Sparkies has had a role that allows him to kill someone if he is lynched. This is good enough reason for him to pretend to be scum. We'll have to see how he acts when he has a different role. However, his lying & randomly claiming has been rather annoying (I didn't actually pay any attention to the game after I was mis-mis-lynched, so I can't really judge on his actions before my death. However, in the first game he was pretty damn annoying for the town & useful to the mafia, so he should probably stop. Heres hoping not being in a role that requires him to pretend to be mafia will change that.
3. A character locks him down a bit.
Sparkies, give us your character.
If you do not comply, you will be scum read by me, and the consequences are yours to bear.

A Character certainly doesn't seem like too much. VTL Sparkies for character claim. If nothing else, it'll get Khaos of your back.
OhHello
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 8:34:16 PM
Aaaand that's 3 votes for Sparkies. Lets try to not go overboard & accidentally lynch him before he can claim.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 8:37:05 PM
At 9/23/2013 8:34:16 PM, OhHello wrote:
Aaaand that's 3 votes for Sparkies. Lets try to not go overboard & accidentally lynch him before he can claim.

Yes, no more than three, unless Sparkies doesn't comply.
OhHello
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 8:37:11 PM
However, after we've gotten Sparkies' character claim, i'll be going after Khaos. Twice we've asked for him to claim near to the beginning of a game and twice he's refused for little or no reason except as an excuse to argue & continue the conversation.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 8:38:46 PM
At 9/23/2013 8:37:11 PM, OhHello wrote:
However, after we've gotten Sparkies' character claim, i'll be going after Khaos. Twice we've asked for him to claim near to the beginning of a game and twice he's refused for little or no reason except as an excuse to argue & continue the conversation.

Tell you what, let's make a deal, and you can decide.
I will out my character AFTER Sparkies, but, I also want one other person to (your choice) after me.
OhHello
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 8:43:05 PM
At 9/23/2013 8:38:46 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I will out my character AFTER Sparkies, but, I also want one other person to (your choice) after me.

Interesting demand. I was expecting you to demand that I out my character in return. Why do you want me to convince someone else as opposed to outing my own character?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 8:46:13 PM
At 9/23/2013 8:43:05 PM, OhHello wrote:
At 9/23/2013 8:38:46 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Interesting demand. I was expecting you to demand that I out my character in return. Why do you want me to convince someone else as opposed to outing my own character?

They call me Mr. Khaos...

1. To generate discussion
2. To generate relationships
3. Because I just played an super awesome prank on my wife and am in a state of euphoria
OhHello
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 8:57:29 PM
At 9/23/2013 8:46:13 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

3. Because I just played an super awesome prank on my wife and am in a state of euphoria

I'm getting that tingling feeling that I get when someone's quoting. Is Google right is assuming you Mr Tibbs?

And ok, those are decent reasons. Euphoria is always an entertaining state to be in.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 9:05:12 PM
At 9/23/2013 8:57:29 PM, OhHello wrote:
At 9/23/2013 8:46:13 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I'm getting that tingling feeling that I get when someone's quoting. Is Google right is assuming you Mr Tibbs?
That is what I was referencing.
Your tingles have not failed you ;)

And ok, those are decent reasons. Euphoria is always an entertaining state to be in.

So, who's it gonna be?
OhHello
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 9:08:48 PM
At 9/23/2013 9:05:12 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
So, who's it gonna be?

I'd been assuming that Bullish was a noob like the rest of us, but he's a vet off a different site. Plus, he called for your claim, so logically that'd make it him.
Sparkies
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 9:24:05 PM
VTL Khaos_Mage

except I won the town the game last game :P
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 9:33:22 PM
At 9/23/2013 9:24:05 PM, Sparkies wrote:
VTL Khaos_Mage

except I won the town the game last game :P

With all your amazing reads right?
If anything, I helped you win by building a case against you and pushing for your lynch.

You were being selfish and anti-town, using your role in a pro-town way < actually helping town make find scum. Plus, you never answered my question as to why it was scummy to vote you, when that is exactly what you wanted!!

Regardless, this is for the endgame thread, not here.
And, since you're here, character claim.
Bullish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 9:33:24 PM
At 9/23/2013 9:08:48 PM, OhHello wrote:
So, who's it gonna be?

I'd been assuming that Bullish was a noob like the rest of us, but he's a vet off a different site. Plus, he called for your claim, so logically that'd make it him.

Not a problem. I didn't hesitate to claim before, I'm not hesitating now.

I am this guy called BREAKER.
0x5f3759df
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 9:34:35 PM
At 9/23/2013 9:33:24 PM, Bullish wrote:
At 9/23/2013 9:08:48 PM, OhHello wrote:
So, who's it gonna be?

Not a problem. I didn't hesitate to claim before, I'm not hesitating now.

I am this guy called BREAKER.

BAD Bullish, Bad!!!
Sparkies, was to claim first.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 9:40:28 PM
Unvote

I am Snake Eyes. (the only reason I ain't holding out is because mafia would be foolish to claim him)