Total Posts:38|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Magic: The Gathering - Sign-ups!

drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 12:14:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Introduction:
Magic the Gathering (MtG) is a customizable/trading card game. Full understanding of the game is not really a prerequisite in being successful here, though it may increase your enjoyment. For those interested in the game itself, I recommend the following sites:

http://www.wizards.com...
http://en.wikipedia.org...

99.9% of this game is already designed, but it was originally intended for a large number of players (17-18) which the current activity level may not support. I am posting sign-ups now so I can have time to tweak the game as necessary for a smaller number of players.

Additionally, I wanted to explain the new mechanics, so people can ask questions and base their decision on all of the available information.

Mechanic - Colors
In MtG, magic comes in different colors (white, blue, black, red, and green). These colors are associated with different themes and styles of play.

http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com...

The types of characters I will be giving to players will be abstractions or generic versions of actual cards in the game. So I am not giving people specific card names like or assigning them to specific characters. At least not deliberately. Some cards are, themselves, generic, so there may be some overlap. Point being, if someone claims something that isn't specifically represented as a card in the game, or as a character in the universe, it would not be cause (in and of itself) for claiming they are lying scum.

However, all characters and abilities will be typical of the color assigned. So knowing the themes associated with the different colors will be essential to knowing what to expect from players of that color as well as for Mafia fake-claiming.

Additionally, I am not acting out any specific plot or theme from the universe (e.g. Brother's War) nor am I using any "proper noun" characters. This is, essentially, a game of MtG as if it were a Mafia Game.

Mechanic - Abilities
Many cards in MtG have "abilities" which can be activated for a certain cost. These take the place of roles here and will also have a cost: Mana. Every player will have at least two abilities. A Tier 1 ability - a low power role with a low cost; and a Tier 2 ability - a moderate power role with a moderate cost. Additionally, some players may have a Tier 3 ability.

The cost will be structured such that you could use a Tier 1 ability each night if you wished (barring interference from other players). However, use of higher Tier abilities will most likely saving up Mana (and thus waiving actions).

Regardless, no player will be allowed to perform more than one action a phase.

Mechanic - Mana
In order to use abilities, players must accrue and use mana. Players will do this naturally. Each player will generate 1 unit of mana of the same color that their character is. This happens at the beginning of the Night Phase and, therefore, can be used for actions performed during that Night Phase.

Players may use any mana they have stored for the use of their abilities, do nothing and continue to accrue mana, or they may share their mana with other players. This is a special action that all players can do innately, and can be done in addition to the use of any abilities. A player may choose to give 1 unit of mana from their mana pool to another player. Shared mana stays the same color once transfer.

Mechanic - Enchantments
Some players may have the ability to cast an enchantment. Enchantments are once-per-game abilities that create a permanent effect on the game as a whole. The enchantment will remain in game until explicitly countered/removed, and will last even after the death of the player that casts it.

Other than that, the game will proceed as a normal game of Mafia: Day Phases, Night Phases, lynching, etc.

Please us this thread for sign-ups as well as any questions about the game mechanics.
daytonanerd
Posts: 6,769
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 2:41:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/23/2013 12:14:02 PM, drafterman wrote:
Introduction:
Magic the Gathering (MtG) is a customizable/trading card game. Full understanding of the game is not really a prerequisite in being successful here, though it may increase your enjoyment. For those interested in the game itself, I recommend the following sites:

http://www.wizards.com...
http://en.wikipedia.org...

99.9% of this game is already designed, but it was originally intended for a large number of players (17-18) which the current activity level may not support. I am posting sign-ups now so I can have time to tweak the game as necessary for a smaller number of players.

Additionally, I wanted to explain the new mechanics, so people can ask questions and base their decision on all of the available information.

Mechanic - Colors
In MtG, magic comes in different colors (white, blue, black, red, and green). These colors are associated with different themes and styles of play.

http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com...

The types of characters I will be giving to players will be abstractions or generic versions of actual cards in the game. So I am not giving people specific card names like or assigning them to specific characters. At least not deliberately. Some cards are, themselves, generic, so there may be some overlap. Point being, if someone claims something that isn't specifically represented as a card in the game, or as a character in the universe, it would not be cause (in and of itself) for claiming they are lying scum.

However, all characters and abilities will be typical of the color assigned. So knowing the themes associated with the different colors will be essential to knowing what to expect from players of that color as well as for Mafia fake-claiming.

Additionally, I am not acting out any specific plot or theme from the universe (e.g. Brother's War) nor am I using any "proper noun" characters. This is, essentially, a game of MtG as if it were a Mafia Game.

Mechanic - Abilities
Many cards in MtG have "abilities" which can be activated for a certain cost. These take the place of roles here and will also have a cost: Mana. Every player will have at least two abilities. A Tier 1 ability - a low power role with a low cost; and a Tier 2 ability - a moderate power role with a moderate cost. Additionally, some players may have a Tier 3 ability.

The cost will be structured such that you could use a Tier 1 ability each night if you wished (barring interference from other players). However, use of higher Tier abilities will most likely saving up Mana (and thus waiving actions).

Regardless, no player will be allowed to perform more than one action a phase.

Mechanic - Mana
In order to use abilities, players must accrue and use mana. Players will do this naturally. Each player will generate 1 unit of mana of the same color that their character is. This happens at the beginning of the Night Phase and, therefore, can be used for actions performed during that Night Phase.

Players may use any mana they have stored for the use of their abilities, do nothing and continue to accrue mana, or they may share their mana with other players. This is a special action that all players can do innately, and can be done in addition to the use of any abilities. A player may choose to give 1 unit of mana from their mana pool to another player. Shared mana stays the same color once transfer.

Mechanic - Enchantments
Some players may have the ability to cast an enchantment. Enchantments are once-per-game abilities that create a permanent effect on the game as a whole. The enchantment will remain in game until explicitly countered/removed, and will last even after the death of the player that casts it.

Other than that, the game will proceed as a normal game of Mafia: Day Phases, Night Phases, lynching, etc.

Please us this thread for sign-ups as well as any questions about the game mechanics.

Drafterman, why did you skip me over on the mod list??
#FeeltheFreezerBern
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 2:59:27 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/23/2013 2:41:56 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

Drafterman, why did you skip me over on the mod list??

Ah, yes, forgot to mention that.

I'm not skipping anyone. I'm simply putting sign-ups out there to A) get a sense of how many players to expect to play and B) to get people aware of the mechanics in use. I will not start the game until my allotted time.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 2:59:50 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Bonus Mechanic:

I will be open to requests regarding which color you would like you character to be. There are some caveats:

1. The request must be made via PM. Anyone that posts a request publicly (mistake, jest, or attempt to set up later WIFOM) will have their request ignored.

2. First come, first serve. I will ignore requests as necessary to maintain game balance (No Celestial Dawn here. http://gatherer.wizards.com...)
daytonanerd
Posts: 6,769
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 3:02:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/23/2013 2:59:27 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 9/23/2013 2:41:56 PM, daytonanerd wrote:

Drafterman, why did you skip me over on the mod list??

Ah, yes, forgot to mention that.

I'm not skipping anyone. I'm simply putting sign-ups out there to A) get a sense of how many players to expect to play and B) to get people aware of the mechanics in use. I will not start the game until my allotted time.

Alright. I just hope that you don't take players from my game. I need a good amount of people.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 4:10:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What did the boy magic card say about the girl magic card?

I'd tap that.

Haha!

...

/in
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,448
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 4:44:25 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
oh yes, sign me up
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
daytonanerd
Posts: 6,769
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 5:55:33 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Guys, don't let this game discourage you from signing up to my game.

This game can't start until my game starts, and from the signs of it, it could take a while if the sign up rate accelerates.

If my game lags in the sign-ups process, this game can't start, which would be a lose-lose for everyone.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 6:42:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/23/2013 5:55:33 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
Guys, don't let this game discourage you from signing up to my game.

This game can't start until my game starts, and from the signs of it, it could take a while if the sign up rate accelerates.

If my game lags in the sign-ups process, this game can't start, which would be a lose-lose for everyone.

you done hijacking my sign ups? this isnt an either/or situation; people can sign up for both. the more you make it seem like mutually exclusive choices, the more you will hurt your own game.
daytonanerd
Posts: 6,769
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 6:51:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/23/2013 6:42:02 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 9/23/2013 5:55:33 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
Guys, don't let this game discourage you from signing up to my game.

This game can't start until my game starts, and from the signs of it, it could take a while if the sign up rate accelerates.

If my game lags in the sign-ups process, this game can't start, which would be a lose-lose for everyone.

you done hijacking my sign ups? this isnt an either/or situation; people can sign up for both. the more you make it seem like mutually exclusive choices, the more you will hurt your own game.

I'm not hijacking your sign-ups. I forgot to add the part where I would ask people to sign up for both if they could, that's all.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 6:59:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I have been on a mafia hiatus since Lucky's game. I made an exception here because I am a huge magic fan. I am still intensely busy. Nothing personal, daytonna; if I had the time, I'd be in both.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,448
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 10:26:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/23/2013 4:10:23 PM, Maikuru wrote:
What did the boy magic card say about the girl magic card?

I'd tap that.

Haha!

...

i would totally tap that though... as long as it gave me three +3 +3 slivers

/in
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/23/2013 10:36:26 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/23/2013 10:26:42 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 9/23/2013 4:10:23 PM, Maikuru wrote:
What did the boy magic card say about the girl magic card?

I'd tap that.

Haha!

...

i would totally tap that though... as long as it gave me three +3 +3 slivers

I think she (and you) should see a doctor if she's giving you slivers.

/in
My work here is, finally, done.
Sparkies
Posts: 652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 1:58:55 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
Drafter, are you setting this on any current sets in magic right now? (e.g Standard, Modern, edh/commander e.t.c)
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/24/2013 7:03:30 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/24/2013 1:58:55 AM, Sparkies wrote:
Drafter, are you setting this on any current sets in magic right now? (e.g Standard, Modern, edh/commander e.t.c)

No. No specific set, theme, plot, or plane has been selected deliberately.
caveat
Posts: 2,137
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/25/2013 10:26:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I'll necro for this theme.
There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
TheAntidoter
Posts: 4,323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/29/2013 2:27:57 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/24/2013 7:04:21 AM, drafterman wrote:
Planeswalkers:
1. Jon
2. Khaos
3. Maikuru
4. Buddamoose
5. Sparkies
6. Hatstand
7. TheAntidoter
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
TheAntidoter
Posts: 4,323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 2:14:58 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/30/2013 9:57:12 AM, drafterman wrote:
Planeswalkers:
1. Jon
2. Khaos
3. Maikuru
4. Buddamoose he charming and rugged sky-pirate and detective in his spare time. Very manly fellow.
5. Sparkies
6. Hatstand
7. caveat
8. TheAntidoter the guy who also stands in a corner and stares creepily
...

+10000000000000000 internet points if you go back and find the thread with this reference.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
Beginner
Posts: 4,292
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 5:37:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Planeswalkers:
1. Jon
2. Khaos
3. Maikuru
4. Buddamoose he charming and rugged sky-pirate and detective in his spare time. Very manly fellow.
5. Sparkies
6. Hatstand
7. caveat
8. TheAntidoter the guy who also stands in a corner and stares creepily
9. Beginner le Mind Sculptor!!!~ ^-^
Senpai has noticed you.
TheAntidoter
Posts: 4,323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2013 7:25:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
@Beginner - Would you like to replace into my current game, multiball mafia?
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2013 4:28:36 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Planeswalkers:
1. Jon
2. Khaos
3. Maikuru
4. Buddamoose he charming and rugged sky-pirate and detective in his spare time. Very manly fellow.
5. Sparkies
6. Hatstand
7. caveat
8. TheAntidoter the guy who also stands in a corner and stares creepily
9. Beginner le Mind Sculptor!!!~ ^-^
10. Spinko- promises to be active
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
muzebreak
Posts: 2,781
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2013 4:58:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 9/23/2013 10:26:42 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
At 9/23/2013 4:10:23 PM, Maikuru wrote:
What did the boy magic card say about the girl magic card?

I'd tap that.

Haha!

...

i would totally tap that though... as long as it gave me three +3 +3 slivers

/in

Man, all you got is a classic case of first strike.
"Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for science intact." - Carl Sagan

This is the response of the defenders of Sparta to the Commander of the Roman Army: "If you are a god, you will not hurt those who have never injured you. If you are a man, advance - you will find men equal to yourself. And women.
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,448
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2013 5:54:39 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
TA you are referring to Thaddeus' Ignatious Creek mafia aren't you? I wasn't even a sky-pirate in that, nor a detective, can't quite remember whom I was, or what role I had, but it wasn't either of those
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion