Total Posts:409|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Magic: The Gathering Mafia - Day Phase One

drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 1:23:01 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Introduction:
Magic the Gathering (MtG) is a customizable/trading card game. Full understanding of the game is not really a prerequisite in being successful here, though it may increase your enjoyment. For those interested in the game itself, I recommend the following sites:

http://www.wizards.com...
http://en.wikipedia.org...

Mechanic - Colors
In MtG, magic comes in different colors (white, blue, black, red, and green). These colors are associated with different themes and styles of play.

http://wiki.mtgsalvation.com...

The types of characters I will be giving to players will be abstractions or generic versions of actual cards in the game. So I am not giving people specific card names like or assigning them to specific characters. At least not deliberately. Some cards are, themselves, generic, so there may be some overlap. Point being, if someone claims something that isn't specifically represented as a card in the game, or as a character in the universe, it would not be cause (in and of itself) for claiming they are lying scum.

However, all characters and abilities will be typical of the color assigned. So knowing the themes associated with the different colors will be essential to knowing what to expect from players of that color as well as for Mafia fake-claiming.

Additionally, I am not acting out any specific plot or theme from the universe (e.g. Brother's War) nor am I using any "proper noun" characters. This is, essentially, a game of MtG as if it were a Mafia Game.

Mechanic - Abilities
Many cards in MtG have "abilities" which can be activated for a certain cost. These take the place of roles here and will also have a cost: Mana. Every player will have at least two abilities. A Tier 1 ability - a low power role with a low cost; and a Tier 2 ability - a moderate power role with a moderate cost.

The cost will be structured such that you could use a Tier 1 ability each night if you wished (barring interference from other players). However, use of higher Tier abilities will most likely saving up Mana (and thus waiving actions).

Regardless, no player will be allowed to perform more than one ability a phase.

Mechanic - Mana
In order to use abilities, players must accrue and use mana. Players will do this naturally. Each player will generate 1 unit of mana of the same color that their character is. This happens at the beginning of the Night Phase and, therefore, can be used for actions performed during that Night Phase.

Players may use any mana they have stored for the use of their abilities, do nothing and continue to accrue mana, or they may share their mana with other players. This is a special action that all players can do innately, and can be done in addition to the use of any abilities. A player may choose to give 1 unit of mana from their mana pool to another player. Shared mana stays the same color once transfer.

Other than that, the game will proceed as a normal game of MafiaDay Phases, Night Phases, lynching, etc.

----- SAMPLE ROLE PM -----
Character: Troll
Color: Green
Affiliation: Town

Level 1 Ability - Hey! Look at me!
G: Force another player to vote you during the next day phase.

Level 2 Ability - "Hello, my name is badger..."
1G: Force all players to vote you during the next day phase.
----- END SAMPLE ROLE PM -----

For those unfamiliar, the letters and numbers in front of the ability is the cost, in mana. Each letter corresponds to a different color.

W- White
U - Blue
B - Black
R - Red
G - Green

For each letter in the cost, you need 1 of that color of mana. So 1 green mana for G. 2 green mana for GG, etc.

The number represents generic, or colorless mana, and can be paid for with any color (or colorless mana). The number indicates how much mana is required. Thus, 1G requires 2 mana, at least one of which must be Green.

Living Planeswalkers
1. Jon
2. Khaos
3. Maikuru
4. Buddamoose
5. Sparkies
6. Hatstand
7. caveat
8. TheAntidoter
9. Beginner
10. Noumena/Spinko
11. FT/Yraelz

Replacement List:
1. Zaradi
2. TN05

With 11 players, it takes 6 votes to lynch. This phase will end no later than 01:00 PM on 10/21 DDO Time.
TheAntidoter
Posts: 4,323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 1:35:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Time to engage in RVS, Let's put on the pressure.

VTL Caveat
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
TheAntidoter
Posts: 4,323
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 2:00:13 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Ok guys, let's hammer down early when, and how were are going to claim.

Mass claim, full claim, popcorn claiming.
Affinity: Fire
Class: Human
Abilities: ????

Nac.

WOAH, COLORED FONT!
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 5:01:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I am HYPED! Tulle's visiting me for the next 8 days but I'm going to do my best to be active =D
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 5:05:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/18/2013 2:00:13 PM, TheAntidoter wrote:
Ok guys, let's hammer down early when, and how were are going to claim.

Mass claim, full claim, popcorn claiming.

So are you advocating RVS or one of those 3 voting dynamics?

The only mass claim I'd even consider is color claiming, but I don't think that would be very helpful. I doubt there's a rhyme or reason to the color distribution besides fitting the color with the role.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 5:08:02 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I've never played with jon, hatstand, caveat, or sparkies. Anybody have any games on them I could check out?

I'll VTL caveat for being third on that list.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Hatstand
Posts: 2,673
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 5:11:42 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/18/2013 5:05:02 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 10/18/2013 2:00:13 PM, TheAntidoter wrote:
Ok guys, let's hammer down early when, and how were are going to claim.

Mass claim, full claim, popcorn claiming.

So are you advocating RVS or one of those 3 voting dynamics?

The only mass claim I'd even consider is color claiming, but I don't think that would be very helpful. I doubt there's a rhyme or reason to the color distribution besides fitting the color with the role.

Yes, but forcing them to restrict themselves to one colour will make it harder for the mafia to false claim later. On the flip side, knowing what colours the townies are might make it easier for the mafia to guess who has what sort of role.

On the whole, I would not be averse to a mass colour-claim, but I'd like to see some more people's opinions on it before we decide one way or the other.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 5:20:56 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/18/2013 5:11:42 PM, Hatstand wrote:
At 10/18/2013 5:05:02 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 10/18/2013 2:00:13 PM, TheAntidoter wrote:
Ok guys, let's hammer down early when, and how were are going to claim.

Mass claim, full claim, popcorn claiming.

So are you advocating RVS or one of those 3 voting dynamics?

The only mass claim I'd even consider is color claiming, but I don't think that would be very helpful. I doubt there's a rhyme or reason to the color distribution besides fitting the color with the role.

Yes, but forcing them to restrict themselves to one colour will make it harder for the mafia to false claim later. On the flip side, knowing what colours the townies are might make it easier for the mafia to guess who has what sort of role.

On the whole, I would not be averse to a mass colour-claim, but I'd like to see some more people's opinions on it before we decide one way or the other.

I don't see how outing colors would limit fake color claims. I don't see drafter doing anything so obvious as having a pattern to the color distribution. Color claiming might limit role claims, but in that regard we'd be doing more harm than good.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 5:21:47 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Hatstand, what do you think about TA proposing a RVS, then inquiring about mass claiming?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Hatstand
Posts: 2,673
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 5:22:52 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/18/2013 5:08:02 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I've never played with jon, hatstand, caveat, or sparkies. Anybody have any games on them I could check out?

Jon, Sparkies and I all played in the recent multiball and philosophers III games. I've got links here to the first phase of each.

Multiball:

(In this game, we were)
Jon- Town
Sparkies - Scum
Me - Scum

http://www.debate.org...

Philosophers

All town

http://www.debate.org...

I've never played in a game with Jon where he's been scum, so I'll leave that to him to provide.

Other than that, I was also in Yu-Gi-Oh a while back (as scum) where Jon also played (as town) and we were both in the same Beginner's series (15x). I wouldn't advise looking at Sparkies's beginners series to get an idea of his play style. He had two town games as super saint and hunter, and as a result spent the entire time trying to get himself lynched. His only scum game in the series he stuffed up by claiming a villain.
Hatstand
Posts: 2,673
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 5:25:37 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/18/2013 5:21:47 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Hatstand, what do you think about TA proposing a RVS, then inquiring about mass claiming?

I think that RVS is standard, so it makes sense that he would start with it, and if we were going for any other sort of claiming, either the person he pressured would claim anyway, or we would have to implement a RVS to get the ball rolling. It could be considered an inconsistency if it lines up with other odd behaviour, but is not enough on its own for me to do anything more than keep an eye on him.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 5:28:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/18/2013 5:25:37 PM, Hatstand wrote:
At 10/18/2013 5:21:47 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Hatstand, what do you think about TA proposing a RVS, then inquiring about mass claiming?

I think that RVS is standard, so it makes sense that he would start with it, and if we were going for any other sort of claiming, either the person he pressured would claim anyway, or we would have to implement a RVS to get the ball rolling. It could be considered an inconsistency if it lines up with other odd behaviour, but is not enough on its own for me to do anything more than keep an eye on him.

I agree. When you didn't respond to me calling you town, I grew wary, but this answer puts you comfortably in my town zone.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Hatstand
Posts: 2,673
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 5:36:35 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/18/2013 5:20:56 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 10/18/2013 5:11:42 PM, Hatstand wrote:
At 10/18/2013 5:05:02 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 10/18/2013 2:00:13 PM, TheAntidoter wrote:
Ok guys, let's hammer down early when, and how were are going to claim.

Mass claim, full claim, popcorn claiming.

So are you advocating RVS or one of those 3 voting dynamics?

The only mass claim I'd even consider is color claiming, but I don't think that would be very helpful. I doubt there's a rhyme or reason to the color distribution besides fitting the color with the role.

Yes, but forcing them to restrict themselves to one colour will make it harder for the mafia to false claim later. On the flip side, knowing what colours the townies are might make it easier for the mafia to guess who has what sort of role.

On the whole, I would not be averse to a mass colour-claim, but I'd like to see some more people's opinions on it before we decide one way or the other.

I don't see how outing colors would limit fake color claims. I don't see drafter doing anything so obvious as having a pattern to the color distribution. Color claiming might limit role claims, but in that regard we'd be doing more harm than good.

I did not see this post before. I scrolled right to the bottom of the page and missed both this post and the one above it.

Specific mana colours would probably go with specific powers. Tying the mafia down to specific colours would limit the roles they could claim and hopefully force them into a position where they would trip themselves up. Why would you think this would do harm?
Hatstand
Posts: 2,673
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 5:38:41 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/18/2013 5:28:41 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 10/18/2013 5:25:37 PM, Hatstand wrote:
At 10/18/2013 5:21:47 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Hatstand, what do you think about TA proposing a RVS, then inquiring about mass claiming?

I think that RVS is standard, so it makes sense that he would start with it, and if we were going for any other sort of claiming, either the person he pressured would claim anyway, or we would have to implement a RVS to get the ball rolling. It could be considered an inconsistency if it lines up with other odd behaviour, but is not enough on its own for me to do anything more than keep an eye on him.

I agree. When you didn't respond to me calling you town, I grew wary, but this answer puts you comfortably in my town zone.

Why did you call me town, since you seemed to think I was on the wrong side of this colour claim idea? I would like some reasoning, if you would.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 5:46:12 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/18/2013 5:36:35 PM, Hatstand wrote:
At 10/18/2013 5:20:56 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 10/18/2013 5:11:42 PM, Hatstand wrote:
At 10/18/2013 5:05:02 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 10/18/2013 2:00:13 PM, TheAntidoter wrote:
Ok guys, let's hammer down early when, and how were are going to claim.

Mass claim, full claim, popcorn claiming.

So are you advocating RVS or one of those 3 voting dynamics?

The only mass claim I'd even consider is color claiming, but I don't think that would be very helpful. I doubt there's a rhyme or reason to the color distribution besides fitting the color with the role.

Yes, but forcing them to restrict themselves to one colour will make it harder for the mafia to false claim later. On the flip side, knowing what colours the townies are might make it easier for the mafia to guess who has what sort of role.

On the whole, I would not be averse to a mass colour-claim, but I'd like to see some more people's opinions on it before we decide one way or the other.

I don't see how outing colors would limit fake color claims. I don't see drafter doing anything so obvious as having a pattern to the color distribution. Color claiming might limit role claims, but in that regard we'd be doing more harm than good.

I did not see this post before. I scrolled right to the bottom of the page and missed both this post and the one above it.

Specific mana colours would probably go with specific powers. Tying the mafia down to specific colours would limit the roles they could claim and hopefully force them into a position where they would trip themselves up. Why would you think this would do harm?

If colors suggest roles, then mass claiming narrows down NK targets for mafia. You said as much earlier.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 5:47:40 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/18/2013 5:38:41 PM, Hatstand wrote:
At 10/18/2013 5:28:41 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 10/18/2013 5:25:37 PM, Hatstand wrote:
At 10/18/2013 5:21:47 PM, Maikuru wrote:
Hatstand, what do you think about TA proposing a RVS, then inquiring about mass claiming?

I think that RVS is standard, so it makes sense that he would start with it, and if we were going for any other sort of claiming, either the person he pressured would claim anyway, or we would have to implement a RVS to get the ball rolling. It could be considered an inconsistency if it lines up with other odd behaviour, but is not enough on its own for me to do anything more than keep an eye on him.

I agree. When you didn't respond to me calling you town, I grew wary, but this answer puts you comfortably in my town zone.

Why did you call me town, since you seemed to think I was on the wrong side of this colour claim idea? I would like some reasoning, if you would.

Your initial post presented two sides of the argument without feeling wishy-washy. It acknowledged the need for more input without feeling non-committal.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 5:51:48 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/18/2013 5:38:56 PM, drafterman wrote:
If caveat hasn't posted by tomorrow evening, he's getting replaced and I'll extend the DP

Just do it. Zaradi is easy as hell to read.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 6:03:08 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Where is everybody? Tulle is going to be here in 16 hours and steal my life away. I need mafia right now.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 6:24:07 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Color claiming sounds good (prima facie TUF) but works just as much against town as it does mafia for informational purposes.

Vtl Maikuru. You say you'll be absent shortly so we might as well get it out of the way now.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 6:26:04 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Just yer character will be enough.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 6:27:53 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/18/2013 6:24:07 PM, Noumena wrote:
Color claiming sounds good (prima facie TUF) but works just as much against town as it does mafia for informational purposes.

Vtl Maikuru. You say you'll be absent shortly so we might as well get it out of the way now.

I guess this is my fault for asking people to participate lol

It's cool. Tulle will be here but she knows I've been nerdgasming over this game for the longest.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 6:28:29 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/18/2013 6:26:04 PM, Noumena wrote:
Just yer character will be enough.

But...I'll be active =(
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 6:32:17 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
So.....claim?
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 6:34:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/18/2013 6:32:17 PM, Noumena wrote:
So.....claim?

Fine! But let's have fun with it. Let's claim together, k?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Hatstand
Posts: 2,673
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 6:38:09 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/18/2013 6:34:14 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 10/18/2013 6:32:17 PM, Noumena wrote:
So.....claim?

Fine! But let's have fun with it. Let's claim together, k?

Why should he? All he's done is advocate a single character claim instead of a full colour one, and suggested you be the target becuase you may not be as active thanks to Tulle's presence. What's wrong with that? Why should we flip someone without reason?
Even RVS is decided based on who's likely to slip, or other such factors.
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 6:41:23 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
I don't wanna claim. Maikuru, listen to Hatstand- he's town.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 6:43:34 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 10/18/2013 6:41:23 PM, Noumena wrote:
I don't wanna claim. Maikuru, listen to Hatstand- he's town.

lol. I was going to respond to hatstand but this made me laugh and I'm in a good mood.

I'm Spirit of the Forest. Also, spoiler, I'm Green.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2013 6:45:15 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
So Squishy, do you really think hatstand is town or were you just teasing?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...