Beginner Mafia 17.1 - DP1

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 6:13:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Introduction to Mafia:
Mafia is a game of strategy and behavioral analysis that pits an uninformed majority (The Town) against an informed minority (The Mafia). All members of the Mafia know who they are and - by poe - know who the members of the Town are. The mafia have their own shared PM where they can coordinate and discuss strategies. No member of the Town is given information about any other player; they must figure that out through the course of the game.

The game is divided into Day Phases (DP) and Night Phases (NP). Each DP will be conducted in a public thread created by me (such as this one). I will start each DP with a summary of actions performed the previous NP, a list of living and dead players, and other rules and notes. The DP is used by all players for open deliberation and is the only normal mechanism by which members of the Town can communicate with each other. It is the primary vehicle by which the members of the Town can eliminate their opposition: The Mafia. However, the Mafia are covertly part of this deliberation, and will try to disrupt or derail the plans of the Town, though in a way as not to reveal their affiliation.

During the DP, each player may cast a vote to lynch another player. The format is VTL Player Name. Unbolded votes do not count. To remove your vote from a player, simply Unvote. Alternatively, you may vote that no player be lynched that day with a vote to no lynch, or VTNL. If a majority of the living players vote to have another player lynched, or vote that no one should be lynched, the DP will end with the death of that player (if applicable) and the NP will begin.

The NP is where players can utilize the abilities of any role they have been given. These will be detailed in PMs I create for each player. In addition, the members of the Mafia can elect to kill another player during the Night. The NP ends when all players have submitted their actions.

The object of the game for each faction (Town, Mafia) is to eliminate the other faction. As a short-cut, when the Mafia make up 50% or more of the living players, the game will end automatically, since they will be able to control the vote during the DP and can no longer be eliminated (under most circumstances). However, there is no such short-cut for the Town, and they must eliminate each member of the Mafia.

Terms, acronyms, and abbreviations:

Alignment - your status as Town, Mafia, or 3rd Party (anything not Town or Mafia).
Bandwagon - A "wagon" consists of the individuals voting for a person. Bandwagoning usually refers to hopping on such a wagon blindly or without clearly articulating your reasons.
BP - Bulletproof, a person immune to night kills.
Buddying - A tactic by mafia where they agree with or support towns people in an attempt to look innocent in return.
Bussing - When the mafia allow, or help, get one of their own members lynched, in order to look innocent in return, or to avoid suspicion.
Claim - Either Character Claim or Role Claim. This is a request to reveal this part of your Role.
Counter Claim - In most cases, roles are unique per game. A counter-claim is when one person challenges another person's role-claim by claiming the same role.
Fake Claim - Since your character or role can be indicative of your alignment, mafioso's usually invent fake claims to avoid suspicion. Cna also be done by Towns-persons trying to perform some sort of gambit.
FOS - Finger of suspicion. Indicates that you suspect someone of being mafia, but usually not enough to place a vote on them.
Hammer - Placing the last vote on someone to get them lynched.
JK - Jailkeeper, a combination of doctor and roleblocker.
LYLO - Lynch or Lose, a situation where the towns-people only outnumber the mafia by 1. Since the mafia gets a kill at night and this would tie them with the town and earn them a win, it is necessary for the town to lynch a mafia in this situation or they lose.
Modkill - You break my rules - I kill you. I will also retroactively convert you into a survivor such that you can't even claim a win with your original faction.
MYLO - Mislynch and Lose, a situation where the towns-people outnumber the mafia by 2. A mislynch gives the mafia a free kill which, when combined with the mafia night kill, allows the mafia to win. Barring irrefutable results, MYLO generally results in no lynch, which merely leads to LYLO.
NK - night kill, any kill performed at night, though usually refers to the mafia night kill.
PM - Private message. Players are only permitted to create or talk in Private Messages set up by the mod.
PR - Power Role, a role with some ability, either passive or active. Towns people without a power role are referred to as "Vanillas" while mafiosos without a power role are referred to as "Goons"
RVS - Random Voting Stage. When there is no information to go on, but you need to get the game moving, generally you'll pressure someone randomly.
Scum - Anyone that is not aligned with the town.
Scum-tell - some trait, or "tell" that indicates a person may be scum.
Softclaim - dropping hints, but not out-right claiming, to be a specific character or role.
SK - Serial Killer, a third party, night killing role.
WIFOM - Wine In Front Of Me. A subtle and complex type of psychology. Best explained herehttp://mafiascum.net......

Rules:
1. The only PMs you are allowed to use to talk about this game with other players are the PMs that I have specifically created for that purpose.
2. DPs will last until a majority vote has been reached or 48 hours has passed, whichever comes first. If the time-limit is reached, there will be no lynch.
3. NPs will last until everyone submits their night action or 48 hours has passed, whichever comes first. If the time-limit is reached, your action is forfeit.
4. Any DP or NP that starts or ends on a weekend will be automatically extended 24 hours.
5. Be active (submit any Night actions in a timely matter and participate in DP discussions). I will replace people at my discretion in response to low or no activity.
6. You may not cut-and-paste from any game PM into the DP thread. You must always paraphrase (http://owl.english.purdue.edu......). Simply replacing the occasional word with a synonym is not acceptable.
7. All game related questions should be directed to me, via PM. You don't have to create a new PM, you may use your Role PM or mafia PM.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 6:14:48 PM
Round 1:
This Round will introduce you to the concept and basics of Mafia, including Role Madness!

Set-Up:
The roles found in this game are from the following list and only from the following list:
Town Roles
Cop - Investigates Players' alignments
Dreamer - Learns players' alignments passively
Priest - Learns roles of players that visit him
Role Cop - Learns players' roles
Tracker - Learns who players visit
Watcher - Learns who visits a player
Oracle - Reveals a player's role upon death
Bodyguard - Redirects lethal actions to self
Bulletproof - Immune to night kills
Doctor - Prevents the deaths of players
Virgin - If lynched, prevents all deaths the following Night Phase
Bomb - If killed at night, kills his killer
Hunter - If lynched, may kill another player
Paranoid Gun Owner - Kills anyone that visits him at night
Super Saint - If lynched, kills whoever placed the last vote
Vigilante - May kill another player at night
Universal Backup - Assumes the role of the first Town player to die
Mimic - May copy another player's role
Roleblocker - May prevent another player from using their role
Innocent Child - Mod confirmed as a Townie during a certain Day Phase
Vanilla - Has no role

Mafia Roles
Role Cop - Learns players' roles
Suicide Bomber - May kill another player during the day, dying in the process
Mimic - May copy another player's role
Scout - Learns who players visit
Lookout - Learns who visits a player

Additionally, there is a maximum of only one of each role

Roles have been generated and assigned randomly.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 6:21:04 PM
Living Players:
1. Mrs. Lynch
2. NotReallySmart
3. Bsh1
4. Cheesedingo
5. srehtiw
6. SpencerJoyage14
7. JohMilne
8. NightCats

WIth 8 players alive, it takes 5 votes to lynch.
This day will end no later than Friday 11/8 at 10 pm DDO time.

Let the games begin!!
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 6:41:26 PM
By the way, a special thanks to Drafterman for his wonderful layout that I totally plagiarized. Also, he is co-modding this series.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 7:08:52 PM
I think we need to understand the groups dynamics better before we start lynching. Therefore, I think I'll vote like this: VTNL.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Mrs.lynch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 8:51:55 PM
At 11/6/2013 6:13:21 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Introduction to Mafia:
Mafia is a game of strategy and behavioral analysis that pits an uninformed majority (The Town) against an informed minority (The Mafia). All members of the Mafia know who they are and - by poe - know who the members of the Town are. The mafia have their own shared PM where they can coordinate and discuss strategies. No member of the Town is given information about any other player; they must figure that out through the course of the game.

If we do not have information about other players, how are we supposed to "figure it out"??

The game is divided into Day Phases (DP) and Night Phases (NP). Each DP will be conducted in a public thread created by me (such as this one). I will start each DP with a summary of actions performed the previous NP, a list of living and dead players, and other rules and notes. The DP is used by all players for open deliberation and is the only normal mechanism by which members of the Town can communicate with each other. It is the primary vehicle by which the members of the Town can eliminate their opposition: The Mafia. However, the Mafia are covertly part of this deliberation, and will try to disrupt or derail the plans of the Town, though in a way as not to reveal their affiliation.

During the DP, each player may cast a vote to lynch another player. The format is VTL Player Name. Unbolded votes do not count. To remove your vote from a player, simply Unvote. Alternatively, you may vote that no player be lynched that day with a vote to no lynch, or VTNL. If a majority of the living players vote to have another player lynched, or vote that no one should be lynched, the DP will end with the death of that player (if applicable) and the NP will begin.

The NP is where players can utilize the abilities of any role they have been given. These will be detailed in PMs I create for each player. In addition, the members of the Mafia can elect to kill another player during the Night. The NP ends when all players have submitted their actions.

Are we supposed to say what are roles are?

The object of the game for each faction (Town, Mafia) is to eliminate the other faction. As a short-cut, when the Mafia make up 50% or more of the living players, the game will end automatically, since they will be able to control the vote during the DP and can no longer be eliminated (under most circumstances). However, there is no such short-cut for the Town, and they must eliminate each member of the Mafia.

Terms, acronyms, and abbreviations:

Alignment - your status as Town, Mafia, or 3rd Party (anything not Town or Mafia).
Bandwagon - A "wagon" consists of the individuals voting for a person. Bandwagoning usually refers to hopping on such a wagon blindly or without clearly articulating your reasons.
BP - Bulletproof, a person immune to night kills.
Buddying - A tactic by mafia where they agree with or support towns people in an attempt to look innocent in return.
Bussing - When the mafia allow, or help, get one of their own members lynched, in order to look innocent in return, or to avoid suspicion.
Claim - Either Character Claim or Role Claim. This is a request to reveal this part of your Role.
Counter Claim - In most cases, roles are unique per game. A counter-claim is when one person challenges another person's role-claim by claiming the same role.
Fake Claim - Since your character or role can be indicative of your alignment, mafioso's usually invent fake claims to avoid suspicion. Cna also be done by Towns-persons trying to perform some sort of gambit.
FOS - Finger of suspicion. Indicates that you suspect someone of being mafia, but usually not enough to place a vote on them.
Hammer - Placing the last vote on someone to get them lynched.
JK - Jailkeeper, a combination of doctor and roleblocker.
LYLO - Lynch or Lose, a situation where the towns-people only outnumber the mafia by 1. Since the mafia gets a kill at night and this would tie them with the town and earn them a win, it is necessary for the town to lynch a mafia in this situation or they lose.
Modkill - You break my rules - I kill you. I will also retroactively convert you into a survivor such that you can't even claim a win with your original faction.
MYLO - Mislynch and Lose, a situation where the towns-people outnumber the mafia by 2. A mislynch gives the mafia a free kill which, when combined with the mafia night kill, allows the mafia to win. Barring irrefutable results, MYLO generally results in no lynch, which merely leads to LYLO.
NK - night kill, any kill performed at night, though usually refers to the mafia night kill.
PM - Private message. Players are only permitted to create or talk in Private Messages set up by the mod.
PR - Power Role, a role with some ability, either passive or active. Towns people without a power role are referred to as "Vanillas" while mafiosos without a power role are referred to as "Goons"
RVS - Random Voting Stage. When there is no information to go on, but you need to get the game moving, generally you'll pressure someone randomly.
Scum - Anyone that is not aligned with the town.
Scum-tell - some trait, or "tell" that indicates a person may be scum.
Softclaim - dropping hints, but not out-right claiming, to be a specific character or role.
SK - Serial Killer, a third party, night killing role.
WIFOM - Wine In Front Of Me. A subtle and complex type of psychology. Best explained herehttp://mafiascum.net......

Rules:
1. The only PMs you are allowed to use to talk about this game with other players are the PMs that I have specifically created for that purpose.
2. DPs will last until a majority vote has been reached or 48 hours has passed, whichever comes first. If the time-limit is reached, there will be no lynch.
3. NPs will last until everyone submits their night action or 48 hours has passed, whichever comes first. If the time-limit is reached, your action is forfeit.
4. Any DP or NP that starts or ends on a weekend will be automatically extended 24 hours.
5. Be active (submit any Night actions in a timely matter and participate in DP discussions). I will replace people at my discretion in response to low or no activity.
6. You may not cut-and-paste from any game PM into the DP thread. You must always paraphrase (http://owl.english.purdue.edu......). Simply replacing the occasional word with a synonym is not acceptable.
7. All game related questions should be directed to me, via PM. You don't have to create a new PM, you may use your Role PM or mafia PM.

Thanks!
Mrs.lynch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 8:53:24 PM
At 11/6/2013 7:08:52 PM, bsh1 wrote:
I think we need to understand the groups dynamics better before we start lynching. Therefore, I think I'll vote like this: VTNL.

Have you played before? Can you explain to me what the purpose of the VTNL is right now?
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 8:55:48 PM
At 11/6/2013 8:53:24 PM, Mrs.lynch wrote:

Have you played before? Can you explain to me what the purpose of the VTNL is right now?

Hi! I'm new as well. It's in the rules Khaos_Mage posted. VTNL means "vote no lynching," meaning that I am voting not to lynch anyone until the next day phase. I think we should wait to get a feel for our group dynamic before we start eliminating players; it should help us ID the mafia faster. What do you think?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

Mrs.lynch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 8:58:45 PM
At 11/6/2013 8:55:48 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Hi! I'm new as well. It's in the rules Khaos_Mage posted. VTNL means "vote no lynching," meaning that I am voting not to lynch anyone until the next day phase. I think we should wait to get a feel for our group dynamic before we start eliminating players; it should help us ID the mafia faster. What do you think?

Yeah, I read that. I phrased the question bad :P I was more specifically wanting to know why we should VTNL. But how will a VTNL help us ID them faster, just out of curiosity? I guess I am not understanding how we are supposed to find that out by simply voting that way.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 9:03:02 PM
At 11/6/2013 8:58:45 PM, Mrs.lynch wrote:

Yeah, I read that. I phrased the question bad :P I was more specifically wanting to know why we should VTNL. But how will a VTNL help us ID them faster, just out of curiosity? I guess I am not understanding how we are supposed to find that out by simply voting that way.

I guess I phrased my response badly as well. People have tells that may give them away as being mafia or as being town. But, until we get to know the people, and to get a sense of whether we're suspicious of them or not, then it is hard to accurately guess if they are mafia or not. So, I think we should wait to get to know people not because it will help us ID the mafia faster, but because it will make us more accurate, and minimize the chance that we'll kill our own. Does that clarify my vote? I'm sorry if I was confusing before...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Mrs.lynch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 9:06:20 PM
At 11/6/2013 9:03:02 PM, bsh1 wrote:

I guess I phrased my response badly as well. People have tells that may give them away as being mafia or as being town. But, until we get to know the people, and to get a sense of whether we're suspicious of them or not, then it is hard to accurately guess if they are mafia or not. So, I think we should wait to get to know people not because it will help us ID the mafia faster, but because it will make us more accurate, and minimize the chance that we'll kill our own. Does that clarify my vote? I'm sorry if I was confusing before...

Okay well I agree with you that we should hear from people and get to know them before making decisions, but to me idk it just seems pointless to VTNL right now. We could still get to know them, without making any hasty voting decisions... right?
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 9:09:57 PM
At 11/6/2013 9:06:20 PM, Mrs.lynch wrote:
At 11/6/2013 9:03:02 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Okay well I agree with you that we should hear from people and get to know them before making decisions, but to me idk it just seems pointless to VTNL right now. We could still get to know them, without making any hasty voting decisions... right?

Sure--I'm willing to change my vote. I guess VTNL is just provisional, until I can make a more solid decision.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Mrs.lynch
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 9:15:52 PM
So what should we do from here?

Should we say what our roles are? Should we wait for more people to come and hear what they have to say? Should we ask each other questions to form some sort of basis for where we stand as far as making decisions?
SCHUMAN8R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 9:25:33 PM
So are we going to have a mafia game for beginners? If we are then count me in for sure.
Can't touch this!
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 9:44:54 PM
At 11/6/2013 8:51:55 PM, Mrs.lynch wrote:
At 11/6/2013 6:13:21 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Introduction to Mafia:

If we do not have information about other players, how are we supposed to "figure it out"??

That is the fundemental point of the game ;)

Are we supposed to say what are roles are?

You say and act what you wish. You disclose or demand information, as you see fit.
There are no rules for how you interact in the DP with other players, and all interaction is for the express purpose of winning.
The goal for town is to kill the mafia.
The goal for mafia is to kill the town.

Figure out who is who, and act accordingly.
If you go to the top of the games forum, there is a mafia archive. You can read past games to discover strategies or get a feel of the game.
http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2013 9:56:39 PM
At 11/6/2013 9:25:33 PM, SCHUMAN8R wrote:
So are we going to have a mafia game for beginners? If we are then count me in for sure.

I'll put you down as a replacement for this series, but the game has begun, and there is a chance you will not be replaced in.
Feel free to sign up to play in any sign up thread, but most mods are gun shy after some problems we've had, so they may not allow you to play until you've proven yourself in a beginner's series.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 12:41:58 AM
At 11/6/2013 9:15:52 PM, Mrs.lynch wrote:
So what should we do from here?

Should we say what our roles are? Should we wait for more people to come and hear what they have to say? Should we ask each other questions to form some sort of basis for where we stand as far as making decisions?

Those all seem like good ideas. What questions would we want to ask each other?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

srehtiw
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 1:07:26 AM
Well one tactic is just to vote for someone randomly to get information. Other than that you just have to wait for someone to say something which gives them away.
Sparkies
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 2:12:17 AM
Hint of advice for town since I didnt see a town designated advisor, The only way to win as the town is to lynch. If you guys want more info you can also look at the other games that has happen here.
JonMilne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 3:14:37 AM
At 11/7/2013 2:12:17 AM, Sparkies wrote:
Hint of advice for town since I didnt see a town designated advisor, The only way to win as the town is to lynch. If you guys want more info you can also look at the other games that has happen here.

Indeed. For instance: VTL Sparkies for claim.
Sparkies
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 3:17:53 AM
At 11/7/2013 3:14:37 AM, JonMilne wrote:

btw I'm not in this game.
JonMilne
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 3:57:12 AM
At 11/7/2013 3:17:53 AM, Sparkies wrote:

Ah gotcha. In that case, VTL bsh1 for claim
NotReallySmart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 7:31:58 AM
At 11/7/2013 3:57:12 AM, JonMilne wrote:

You need to unvote first, don't you?
There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge; that is Curiosity.

There are those who seek knowledge to be known by others; that is Vanity.

There are those who seek knowledge in order to serve; that is Love."

- Bernard of Clairvaux
Sparkies
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 7:33:34 AM
At 11/7/2013 7:31:58 AM, NotReallySmart wrote:

yep thats right, and a mod would usally only count the first vote if they havent unvoted
NotReallySmart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 7:42:15 AM
Well let us start playing shall we?

VTL bsh1 for Claim

Let the pressuring begin!
There are those who seek knowledge for the sake of knowledge; that is Curiosity.

There are those who seek knowledge to be known by others; that is Vanity.

There are those who seek knowledge in order to serve; that is Love."

- Bernard of Clairvaux
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 8:22:11 AM
At 11/7/2013 7:31:58 AM, NotReallySmart wrote:

That is correct, but I'll allow it because his vote on Sparkies wasn't a true vote, since Sparkies is not playing.

However, generally the vote/unvote process would look like this (using his votes):
VTL Sparkies (first post)
Unvote VTL bsh1 for claim (second post)
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 8:25:54 AM
Vote Count:
VTNL (1/5): bsh1
bsh1 (2/5): JonMilne, NotReallySmart

The votes on a player are usually listed in order of first to vote for them to last.
NightofTheLivingCats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 9:32:31 AM
We are not nling.

I claim. I have a theory.

I am VANILLA.

First, we lynch a PR CC. No matter what, we kill scum. AND if there is a doc, we get a clear. There is no VTNL.
NightofTheLivingCats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2013 9:38:04 AM
At 11/7/2013 9:32:31 AM, NightofTheLivingCats wrote:
We are not nling.

I claim. I have a theory.

I am VANILLA.

First, we lynch a PR CC. No matter what, we kill scum. AND if there is a doc, we get a clear. There is no VTNL.

There are 8 players

There is more then 4 townies

I think there is 6 townies and 3 mafia.
(MYLO Day one?)
If we mislynch, its 5-3
Night-kill, 4-3
Mafia lynch, 4-2
Night kill, 3-2
Mafia lynch, 3-2
Night kill, 2-1
Mafia lynch, 2-0

This path may has well be an "All-Vanilla" setup because there might be a vig.

So in a small game like this, if there is a doc and cop, cop outs with maf.