Beginner Mafia 18.3 - DP1

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 9:59:02 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Introduction:

The essence of DDO Mafia is the themed game. Almost all games on mafia are themed games. A themed game introduces new elements (and sometimes new mechanics) that add complexity and (hopefully) fun to the game.

In addition to an alignment and a role, players are also given characters that fit in with the theme. The roles almost (but not always or necessarily) fit with the character. This can be expressed in a number of ways. For example, if the theme is a TV show or movie, and your character is a cop, officer, or policeman, he might very will have the Mafia role of "Cop" due to the similarity in profession, if not function. Alternatively, if the character isn't such an occupation, but is otherwise good at discerning between good and evil, they might also be a "Cop" due to the similarity in function, if not profession.

Themes are limited only by the imagination. Most have to do with some form of media, such as TV shows, Literature, and Movies. Others are more abstract, like philosophies or politics. Literally anything can be a theme.

As said, themes add new elements to the game, which are summarized as follows:

1. Partial-claiming. Role-claiming can be dangerous for Townies to do, as it helps mafia decide who they need to kill. Instead of role-claiming, you can character claim. While your character may hint at your role, it is still safer than full claiming.

2. Fake-claiming. Mafia normally have to fake claim their roles when forced to claim in theme-less games. In themed games they also have to fake claim characters. Arguably this is more difficult. In role-claiming, they simply have to avoid being counter-claimed. In character claiming, they have to claim a character from the theme, is consistent with their role, and is major enough to be expected (though not all characters in the game will be major).

3. Patterns. Usually, there will be some distinguishing factor between the different factions. Normally this is a good vs. evil type discrimination, but not always. Remember, the Mafia start the game knowing 1/3rd of the role PMs, so have a head start in discerning any patterns and obfuscating Town's ability to also learn it.

4. Mod Psychology. Creating a themed game, including writing PMs, requires more input from the mod. Based on analysis of the game's creation, how the role PMs are written, and any patterns discovered, you can try and determine how the game was constructed in an effort to hunt for scum. However, this is more of an art than a science. Mistakes and deliberately traps created by the mod can hinder such an analysis. Trying to predict the mod's psychology is a double edged sword.

This Game's Theme:
X-men

Good luck!
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 10:01:00 AM
Living Players:

1. Aloke
2. Sparkies
3. bsh1
4. PotbelliedGeek
5. SolonKR
6. Yay842
7. TN05
8. Crypto
9. Zaradi
10. Hatstand

With ten living players, it takes six to lynch.
The DP will end no later than 10AM January 2, 2014

Happy New Year!!
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 10:09:26 AM
Mod note:
Notice that the win condition for town is NOT "I win with the town".
This is called a special wincon, which is employed with theme games sometimes.

Furthermore, notice that your role PM's are much longer than they were before. This is because you have a character, a justification, and finally, your role. You may out or be asked to out any or all of this information.

YOU MUST PARAPHRASE YOUR JUSTIFICATION.
FAILURE TO DO SO, OR ADEQUATELY DO SO, WILL RESULT IN MOD-KILL.
ASK THE MOD IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS.

What is the point of the justification?
Because in themed games, your role needs to reflect the abilities of the character. For example, it would not make much sense for Abraham Lincoln to be bulletproof, but it would make sense for Superman.

Last point, you will notice there is no list of roles. The roles in this game were not randomly assigned, but created with intent. Further, the roles in this game may or may not be on those past lists.

This is the real deal.
This is DDO Mafia.

Good Luck.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 11:01:32 AM
At 12/30/2013 10:09:26 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Mod note:
Notice that the win condition for town is NOT "I win with the town".
This is called a special wincon, which is employed with theme games sometimes.

Furthermore, notice that your role PM's are much longer than they were before. This is because you have a character, a justification, and finally, your role. You may out or be asked to out any or all of this information.

YOU MUST PARAPHRASE YOUR JUSTIFICATION.
FAILURE TO DO SO, OR ADEQUATELY DO SO, WILL RESULT IN MOD-KILL.
ASK THE MOD IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS.

What is the point of the justification?
Because in themed games, your role generally needs to reflect the abilities of the character. For example, it would not make much sense for Abraham Lincoln to be bulletproof, but it would make sense for Superman.

Last point, you will notice there is no list of roles. The roles in this game were not randomly generated, but created with intent. Further, the roles in this game may or may not be on those past lists.

This is the real deal.
This is DDO Mafia.

Good Luck.

Fixed
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 11:34:55 AM
At 12/30/2013 10:11:22 AM, TN05 wrote:
Alright, let's get going here.

VTL Hatstand for claim

Why Hats? Why not anyone else? And why do you demand a claim this early knowing full well that claimimg early is harmful to town?
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 11:45:51 AM
At 12/30/2013 11:34:55 AM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

VTL Hatstand for claim

Why Hats? Why not anyone else? And why do you demand a claim this early knowing full well that claimimg early is harmful to town?

Unvote VTL Pots for claim

There are multiple ways to claim in a game with characters and roles... you can claim character, role, or both. This is a typical way we start out games on DDO.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 11:57:59 AM
@Khaos: Are mafia aware of what the flavored win-con is?

@pots: No actually. Claiming this early is actually way more helpful for town. There's literally less than an hour on the game clock, which is hardly enough time for mafia to craft a good fake-claim. Forcing claims out of people now and as quickly as we can actually gives us a greater chance at making the mafia slip up.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 1:05:00 PM
At 12/30/2013 11:57:59 AM, Zaradi wrote:

@pots: No actually. Claiming this early is actually way more helpful for town. There's literally less than an hour on the game clock, which is hardly enough time for mafia to craft a good fake-claim. Forcing claims out of people now and as quickly as we can actually gives us a greater chance at making the mafia slip up.

But if we all claim early, won't that give scum an easy fake claim?

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 1:10:01 PM
At 12/30/2013 11:45:51 AM, TN05 wrote:
At 12/30/2013 11:34:55 AM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

VTL Hatstand for claim

Unvote VTL Pots for claim

There are multiple ways to claim in a game with characters and roles... you can claim character, role, or both. This is a typical way we start out games on DDO.

For now, I'll soft claim my character. I have good reason to keep my role secret.

I don't walk around too often. In fact, I domt remember my character ever walking anywhere. I always use "alternative" transportation.

Hatstand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 1:12:03 PM
At 12/30/2013 1:05:00 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

We don't all claim. We just ask for a few. It's the same RVS system that's been operating in the last few games. However, in this game, when RVSed you will only be asked to claim character.
Hatstand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 1:15:09 PM

This is an important point. If the mafia don't know the wincon then we can try to force them to slip up by making them state it. We can't take knowing it as a town confirmation, as it'a possible that they would guess it, but getting it wrong would be pretty much the equivalent of a confession of scumminess.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 1:15:15 PM
At 12/30/2013 1:12:03 PM, Hatstand wrote:

We don't all claim. We just ask for a few. It's the same RVS system that's been operating in the last few games. However, in this game, when RVSed you will only be asked to claim character.

Ahh ok. That makes a little more sense. In that case n
VTL Hats for claim.

Hatstand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 1:18:50 PM
At 12/30/2013 1:15:15 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

VTL Hats for claim.

Do you mind if I ask why you want to know my claim in particular first? Due to your claim, I'll believe that you're town for now, but RVS should be done with purpose, otherwise it does simply serve to aid the scumteam.
Hatstand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 1:19:47 PM
At 12/30/2013 1:18:50 PM, Hatstand wrote:

VTL Hats for claim.

Do you mind if I ask why you want to know my claim in particular first? Due to your claim, I'll believe that you're town for now, but RVS should be done with purpose, otherwise it does simply serve to aid the scumteam.

Actually, I want TN to answer that.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 1:21:39 PM

VTL Hats for claim.

I honestly chose you at random. I am slightly confused now. How does this scenario differ from the one you just described?

Hatstand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 1:31:49 PM
At 12/30/2013 1:21:39 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

I honestly chose you at random. I am slightly confused now. How does this scenario differ from the one you just described?

I explained it at length to Aloke in the last game. We choose RVS targets strategically. We choose targets who are more likely to slip up, or at least hint at the composition of their scumteam when they flip (newer players are less likely to have good false claims, and if they have a good false claim, and they flip scum, then you can assume that it's likely that they have a good false claimed on side. I once got scumread for that reason -.- as town).

We can also justify asking a player that is hard to read to claim - seeing as you will be unlikely to be able to read them later on, catching them out in a lie early on can be invaluable. Reasons a person might be unreadable include inactivity, scummy town play, or townish scum play.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 1:31:54 PM
At 12/30/2013 1:19:47 PM, Hatstand wrote:

VTL Hats for claim.

Actually, I want TN to answer that.

You're the most experienced and best player in this game and I don't want to take any chances. You had everyone fooled last game so who's to say you can't do it again?
Hatstand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 1:34:58 PM
At 12/30/2013 1:31:54 PM, TN05 wrote:

You're the most experienced and best player in this game and I don't want to take any chances. You had everyone fooled last game so who's to say you can't do it again?

I appreciate the compliment, but strictly speaking both you and Zaradi would have to be considered more experienced (if only marginally in your case).

I'm Jean Grey.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 1:39:55 PM
At 12/30/2013 1:34:58 PM, Hatstand wrote:

I appreciate the compliment, but strictly speaking both you and Zaradi would have to be considered more experienced (if only marginally in your case).

I'm Jean Grey.

Unvote

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 1:54:54 PM

No.
Hatstand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 1:56:50 PM
At 12/30/2013 1:55:31 PM, Zaradi wrote:
VTL Pots for the wincon.

He claimed a pretty central character. We should save this for someone else.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 1:58:49 PM
VTL Pots for the wincon.

Are you sure that you want me to say it? This is only a one shot deal, once you grill someone for it you can't use it again.

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 2:02:31 PM
At 12/30/2013 1:56:50 PM, Hatstand wrote:
VTL Pots for the wincon.

I thought I was pretty vague on the soft claim. Are you sure you know who I am claiming? You can say it, of it is right I will confirm it.

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 2:03:50 PM
At 12/30/2013 2:02:31 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
At 12/30/2013 1:56:50 PM, Hatstand wrote:
VTL Pots for the wincon.

I thought I was pretty vague on the soft claim. Are you sure you know who I am claiming? You can say it, of it is right I will confirm it.

Really? We're talking X-Men and you claim someone who can't walk? I know next to sh*t about the series and even I know who you're talking about >.> Much vague, wow.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 2:03:57 PM
At 12/30/2013 1:34:58 PM, Hatstand wrote:

I'm Jean Grey.

Fair enough.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 2:04:25 PM
At 12/30/2013 2:00:56 PM, Zaradi wrote:
Actually Unvote

I'll wait for one of the inactives to show before we do that.

Very well. I do know exactly what it is, and can claim it if I am pressured. I am also willing to soft claim it.

Hatstand
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2013 2:06:26 PM
At 12/30/2013 2:04:25 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
At 12/30/2013 2:00:56 PM, Zaradi wrote:
Actually Unvote

I'll wait for one of the inactives to show before we do that.

Very well. I do know exactly what it is, and can claim it if I am pressured. I am also willing to soft claim it.

Don't. It's best not to let the scum team know what it is. As you said, it's a one time thing.