Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

Debating using Logical Fallacies

Josh_b
Posts: 1,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 4:20:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The goal of these debates are to use as many fallacies as possible during the debate.
The winner of the debate is voted on based on the most adequate use of Logical Fallacies.
The content of the debate should not be considered in voting. Voting will be based only on the proper implementation of fallacious claims.
A starter list of Logical Fallacies is provided here:
http://en.wikipedia.org...

All debates made from this topic should be linked back to this forum topic so the rules are clear and the debates should be posted to this forum so that voting can completed by adequate participants.

All debates should include "(Fallacy Debate)" as a key word for future search terms and to protect the integrity of this type of debating over other types of debating where fallacies are used as trickery.

There is no need to identify each fallacy used in these debates by either party in the debate as the fallacies are explained in the wiki link provided, and the voting will be based on the use of the fallacies not the actual content of the debate.

Rebuttals and refutations should be limited as the voting is based on the use of fallacies not the adequate justification of one position over the other.

Debates may focus on one specific Fallacy or type of Fallacy over others such as an argumentum ad populum debate, or a Quantification Fallacies debate. Identification of the debate type should be completed in the first round.

Any word count, or syntax, or formatting restrictions should also be identified in the first round.

Any future inclusion of rules for these debates will be added to this forum by me, or a delegate identified by me in this forum. All other rules will be deemed as suggestions for users to make these debates friendlier and efficient.
Scrutiny Welcome

AMAA http://www.debate.org...
Lucky_Luciano
Posts: 4,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 4:52:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
You should debate imabench. His existence is a logical fallacy.
"Age is not important" - Airmax 2014
"Australia... is that a place?" - Airmax 2014
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2013 10:32:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/31/2013 4:52:54 PM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:
You should debate imabench. His existence is a logical fallacy.

Your mom's a logical fallacy.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Josh_b
Posts: 1,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 12:35:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/31/2013 4:52:54 PM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:
You should debate imabench. His existence is a logical fallacy.

I'm sure I will.
Scrutiny Welcome

AMAA http://www.debate.org...
JustAnotherGuy
Posts: 51
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 12:46:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 12/31/2013 10:32:59 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 12/31/2013 4:52:54 PM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:
You should debate imabench. His existence is a logical fallacy.

Your mom's a logical fallacy.

BURN!
SolonKR
Posts: 4,041
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 7:03:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I am so in. Fight me, people. I am strong. Anyone claiming to be as strong as me is simply in denial, so therefore you are all too weak to defeat me.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 7:11:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/1/2014 7:03:12 PM, SolonKR wrote:
I am so in. Fight me, people. I am strong. Anyone claiming to be as strong as me is simply in denial, so therefore you are all too weak to defeat me.

Anyone who resorts to ad hominim attacks is clearly not a true debater.
My work here is, finally, done.
Lucky_Luciano
Posts: 4,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 7:47:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/1/2014 7:11:11 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/1/2014 7:03:12 PM, SolonKR wrote:
I am so in. Fight me, people. I am strong. Anyone claiming to be as strong as me is simply in denial, so therefore you are all too weak to defeat me.

Anyone who resorts to ad hominim attacks is clearly not a true debater.

Of course you would say that.
"Age is not important" - Airmax 2014
"Australia... is that a place?" - Airmax 2014
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 7:51:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/1/2014 7:47:49 PM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:
At 1/1/2014 7:11:11 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/1/2014 7:03:12 PM, SolonKR wrote:
I am so in. Fight me, people. I am strong. Anyone claiming to be as strong as me is simply in denial, so therefore you are all too weak to defeat me.

Anyone who resorts to ad hominim attacks is clearly not a true debater.

Of course you would say that.

Why not?
Everybody else does.
My work here is, finally, done.
Lucky_Luciano
Posts: 4,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 9:54:06 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/1/2014 7:51:01 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/1/2014 7:47:49 PM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:
At 1/1/2014 7:11:11 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/1/2014 7:03:12 PM, SolonKR wrote:
I am so in. Fight me, people. I am strong. Anyone claiming to be as strong as me is simply in denial, so therefore you are all too weak to defeat me.

Anyone who resorts to ad hominim attacks is clearly not a true debater.

Of course you would say that.

Why not?
Everybody else does.

It was a light-hearted ad hominem.
"Age is not important" - Airmax 2014
"Australia... is that a place?" - Airmax 2014
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 9:57:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/1/2014 9:54:06 PM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:
At 1/1/2014 7:51:01 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/1/2014 7:47:49 PM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:
At 1/1/2014 7:11:11 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/1/2014 7:03:12 PM, SolonKR wrote:
I am so in. Fight me, people. I am strong. Anyone claiming to be as strong as me is simply in denial, so therefore you are all too weak to defeat me.

Anyone who resorts to ad hominim attacks is clearly not a true debater.

Of course you would say that.

Why not?
Everybody else does.

It was a light-hearted ad hominem.

Jeez, I'm not that defensive...
My response was Argumentum ad populum, wasn't it?
My work here is, finally, done.
Lucky_Luciano
Posts: 4,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2014 11:23:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/1/2014 9:57:24 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/1/2014 9:54:06 PM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:
At 1/1/2014 7:51:01 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/1/2014 7:47:49 PM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:
At 1/1/2014 7:11:11 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/1/2014 7:03:12 PM, SolonKR wrote:
I am so in. Fight me, people. I am strong. Anyone claiming to be as strong as me is simply in denial, so therefore you are all too weak to defeat me.

Anyone who resorts to ad hominim attacks is clearly not a true debater.

Of course you would say that.

Why not?
Everybody else does.

It was a light-hearted ad hominem.

Jeez, I'm not that defensive...
My response was Argumentum ad populum, wasn't it?

Yes.
"Age is not important" - Airmax 2014
"Australia... is that a place?" - Airmax 2014
SolonKR
Posts: 4,041
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 7:13:26 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/1/2014 11:23:33 PM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:
At 1/1/2014 9:57:24 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/1/2014 9:54:06 PM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:
At 1/1/2014 7:51:01 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/1/2014 7:47:49 PM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:
At 1/1/2014 7:11:11 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/1/2014 7:03:12 PM, SolonKR wrote:
I am so in. Fight me, people. I am strong. Anyone claiming to be as strong as me is simply in denial, so therefore you are all too weak to defeat me.

Anyone who resorts to ad hominim attacks is clearly not a true debater.

Of course you would say that.

Why not?
Everybody else does.

It was a light-hearted ad hominem.

Jeez, I'm not that defensive...
My response was Argumentum ad populum, wasn't it?

Yes.

Of course, we can't forget that Hitler was a terrible dictator. Hitler also happened to be a human. Lucky must be a human, because he posts on this site, and aliens are probably not on this site. Therefore, Lucky is a terrible dictator. We don't listen to terrible dictators, so we shouldn't listen to Lucky.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Lucky_Luciano
Posts: 4,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2014 12:58:05 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/2/2014 7:13:26 AM, SolonKR wrote:
At 1/1/2014 11:23:33 PM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:
At 1/1/2014 9:57:24 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/1/2014 9:54:06 PM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:
At 1/1/2014 7:51:01 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/1/2014 7:47:49 PM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:
At 1/1/2014 7:11:11 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/1/2014 7:03:12 PM, SolonKR wrote:
I am so in. Fight me, people. I am strong. Anyone claiming to be as strong as me is simply in denial, so therefore you are all too weak to defeat me.

Anyone who resorts to ad hominim attacks is clearly not a true debater.

Of course you would say that.

Why not?
Everybody else does.

It was a light-hearted ad hominem.

Jeez, I'm not that defensive...
My response was Argumentum ad populum, wasn't it?

Yes.

Of course, we can't forget that Hitler was a terrible dictator. Hitler also happened to be a human. Lucky must be a human, because he posts on this site, and aliens are probably not on this site. Therefore, Lucky is a terrible dictator. We don't listen to terrible dictators, so we shouldn't listen to Lucky.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com...
"Age is not important" - Airmax 2014
"Australia... is that a place?" - Airmax 2014
Josh_b
Posts: 1,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2014 11:40:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/1/2014 7:11:11 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/1/2014 7:03:12 PM, SolonKR wrote:
I am so in. Fight me, people. I am strong. Anyone claiming to be as strong as me is simply in denial, so therefore you are all too weak to defeat me.

Anyone who resorts to ad hominim attacks is clearly not a true debater.

At first, I was like why is this person being so defensive, and then "clearly not a true debater" popped out at me as a "No true Scotsman" fallacy and I laughed and laughed.
Scrutiny Welcome

AMAA http://www.debate.org...
Josh_b
Posts: 1,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2014 1:11:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/1/2014 7:03:12 PM, SolonKR wrote:
I am so in. Fight me, people. I am strong. Anyone claiming to be as strong as me is simply in denial, so therefore you are all too weak to defeat me.

Send me a topic and it's on!
Scrutiny Welcome

AMAA http://www.debate.org...
Josh_b
Posts: 1,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2014 2:36:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Trolls Accepted. This an invitation to all trolls. If you think you have what it takes to be the best Troll, get involved in one of these debates. I've been looking at what people are calling Troll Debates, specifically those of KingDebater, Imabench, and Stalin. I have found that the key to trolling is not presenting adequate arguments. It's using logical fallacies in a way that seem like reasonable arguments.

Debating using logical fallacies, bypasses the rules on trolling in that the voting is based on a person's ability to troll rather than the argument itself. Do you think you have what it takes to be part of these debates?

In regular debates, you can be punished by the voters if you twist someone's words, move the goalposts, or degrade your opponent. In Logical fallacy debates, Strawman, hedging, and ad hominem arguments carry you on to victory!

Start a logical fallacy debate right now and become part of an elite group of members inside the DDO organization who do not have the same scrutiny from moderators as other trolls. Don't forget to include "(fallacy debate)" in your title and link it to this forum.
Scrutiny Welcome

AMAA http://www.debate.org...
Josh_b
Posts: 1,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2014 7:46:10 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Troll Debates are notorious for using fallacies. If you have one post it here.
Here's an upcoming debate, that I expect to have great promise.

http://www.debate.org...

Both debaters have a lot of skill and we can expect them to both give it their all to prove their own government.
Scrutiny Welcome

AMAA http://www.debate.org...
Josh_b
Posts: 1,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 7:41:07 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
ad hominems can be both positive and negative. Any time you go out of your way in a debate to talk about the other debater, or the debate, this fallacy is committed. If you use in a fallacy debate, people love it. If you use in a regular debate, you might lose.
Scrutiny Welcome

AMAA http://www.debate.org...
daytonanerd
Posts: 6,769
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2014 8:41:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I don't get all these big words? As hominems? Ad populus? Ad block? Fallacies? Obviously, since I don't know these words, therefore, they are wrong, and I am right.
#FeeltheFreezerBern