Jump to topic:

Steam Trouble

Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 1:10:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I can't be the only one having this problem. I'm trying to play Mass Effect 1 over steam and every time I try to open the game I get the little loading reticle over my mouse, but nothing actually opens. I'm running on a Windows 8.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 1:21:50 PM
I have that problem with games sometimes as well.

My solution? Buy Mass Effect 2 :p
In seriousness, you probably need to reinstall the game. But just for gits and shiggles, try running it in compatibility mode first.

Did it just stop wanting to load one day, or had you never tried it on this PC before?
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 1:28:29 PM
At 1/25/2014 1:21:50 PM, SolonKR wrote:

I've already played through all three of them, but each of them had a separate character. I've never run one character through all three games, hence my desire to start again at ME1.
In seriousness, you probably need to reinstall the game.

Did that. No dice.

But just for gits and shiggles, try running it in compatibility mode first.

Did this too. Tried both Windows 7 and Vista. No dice either.

Did it just stop wanting to load one day, or had you never tried it on this PC before?

It used to work on my PC, I have no idea why it decided to stop. It stopped a while back but I've only now decided I'd try to fix it.
SolonKR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 1:31:12 PM
At 1/25/2014 1:28:29 PM, Zaradi wrote:

I've already played through all three of them, but each of them had a separate character. I've never run one character through all three games, hence my desire to start again at ME1.

Did that. No dice.

It used to work on my PC, I have no idea why it decided to stop. It stopped a while back but I've only now decided I'd try to fix it.

Did you make sure when you uninstalled it that you did a complete uninstall (no leftover registry entries or files)?
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 1:33:50 PM
At 1/25/2014 1:31:12 PM, SolonKR wrote:
At 1/25/2014 1:28:29 PM, Zaradi wrote:

Did that. No dice.

Did you make sure when you uninstalled it that you did a complete uninstall (no leftover registry entries or files)?

Pretty sure.
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 11:50:12 PM
At 1/25/2014 1:10:02 PM, Zaradi wrote:
I can't be the only one having this problem. I'm trying to play Mass Effect 1 over steam and every time I try to open the game I get the little loading reticle over my mouse, but nothing actually opens. I'm running on a Windows 8.

Hmm, possibly caused by duplicated data in your game's apache folder. It causes steam to think the game is running before it launches, so steam kills any double instance of the game making it appear on steam as if you are playing the game when in actual fact you aren't. Is this the sort of problem you face?
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 11:52:37 PM
At 1/25/2014 11:50:12 PM, Smithereens wrote:

Hmm, possibly caused by duplicated data in your game's apache folder. It causes steam to think the game is running before it launches, so steam kills any double instance of the game making it appear on steam as if you are playing the game when in actual fact you aren't. Is this the sort of problem you face?

Not even close. Read the thread xD
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 11:54:14 PM
At 1/25/2014 11:52:37 PM, Zaradi wrote:

Lol, I did after I posted and I facepalmed.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2014 11:54:43 PM
At 1/25/2014 11:54:14 PM, Smithereens wrote:
At 1/25/2014 11:52:37 PM, Zaradi wrote:

Lol, I did after I posted and I facepalmed.

It's okay. We all have those days xD