Total Posts:445|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Beginners' Mafia 20.1: DP1

bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 8:35:35 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Introduction to Mafia:

Mafia is a game of strategy and behavioral analysis that pits an uninformed majority (The Town) against an informed minority (The Mafia). All members of the Mafia know who they are and - by process of elimination - know who the members of the Town are. The mafia have their own shared PM where they can coordinate and discuss strategies. No member of the Town is given information about any other player; they must figure that out through the course of the game.

The game is divided into Day Phases (DP) and Night Phases (NP). Each DP will be conducted in a public thread created by me (such as this one). I will start each DP with a summary of actions performed the previous NP, a list of living and dead players, and other rules and notes. The DP is used by all players for open deliberation and is the only normal mechanism by which members of the Town can communicate with each other. It is the primary vehicle by which the members of the Town can eliminate their opposition: The Mafia. However, the Mafia are covertly part of this deliberation, and will try to disrupt or derail the plans of the Town, though in a way as not to reveal their affiliation.

During the DP, each player may cast a vote to lynch another player. The format is VTL Player Name. Unbolded votes do not count. To remove your vote from a player, simply Unvote. Alternatively, you may vote that no player be lynched that day with a vote to no lynch, or VTNL. If a majority of the living players vote to have another player lynched, or vote that no one should be lynched, the DP will end with the death of that player (if applicable) and the NP will begin.

The NP is where players can utilize the abilities of any role they have been given. These will be detailed in PMs I create for each player. In addition, the members of the Mafia can elect to kill another player during the Night. The NP ends when all players have submitted their actions.

The object of the game for each faction (Town, Mafia) is to eliminate the other faction. As a short-cut, when the Mafia make up 50% or more of the living players, the game will end automatically, since they will be able to control the vote during the DP and can no longer be eliminated (under most circumstances). However, there is no such short-cut for the Town, and they must eliminate each member of the Mafia.

Terms, acronyms, and abbreviations:

Alignment - your status as Town, Mafia, or 3rd Party (anything not Town or Mafia).
Bandwagon - A "wagon" consists of the individuals voting for a person. Bandwagoning usually refers to hopping on such a wagon blindly or without clearly articulating your reasons.
BP - Bulletproof, a person immune to night kills.
Buddying - A tactic by mafia where they agree with or support towns people in an attempt to look innocent in return.
Bussing - When the mafia allow, or help, get one of their own members lynched, in order to look innocent in return, or to avoid suspicion.
Claim - Either Character Claim or Role Claim. This is a request to reveal this part of your Role.
Counter Claim - In most cases, roles are unique per game. A counter-claim is when one person challenges another person's role-claim by claiming the same role.
Fake Claim - Since your character or role can be indicative of your alignment, mafioso's usually invent fake claims to avoid suspicion. Cna also be done by Towns-persons trying to perform some sort of gambit.
FOS - Finger of suspicion. Indicates that you suspect someone of being mafia, but usually not enough to place a vote on them.
Hammer - Placing the last vote on someone to get them lynched.
JK - Jailkeeper, a combination of doctor and roleblocker.
LYLO - Lynch or Lose, a situation where the towns-people only outnumber the mafia by 1. Since the mafia gets a kill at night and this would tie them with the town and earn them a win, it is necessary for the town to lynch a mafia in this situation or they lose.
Mod-kill - You break my rules - I kill you. I will also retroactively convert you into a survivor such that you can't even claim a win with your original faction.
MYLO - Mislynch and Lose, a situation where the towns-people outnumber the mafia by 2. A mislynch gives the mafia a free kill which, when combined with the mafia night kill, allows the mafia to win. Barring irrefutable results, MYLO generally results in no lynch, which merely leads to LYLO.
NK - night kill, any kill performed at night, though usually refers to the mafia night kill.
PM - Private message. Players are only permitted to create or talk in Private Messages set up by the mod.
PR - Power Role, a role with some ability, either passive or active. Towns people without a power role are referred to as "Vanillas" while mafiosos without a power role are referred to as "Goons"
RVS - Random Voting Stage. When there is no information to go on, but you need to get the game moving, generally you'll pressure someone randomly.
Scum - Anyone that is not aligned with the town.
Scum-tell - some trait, or "tell" that indicates a person may be scum.
Soft-claim - dropping hints, but not out-right claiming, to be a specific character or role.
SK - Serial Killer, a third party, night killing role.
WIFOM - Wine In Front Of Me. A subtle and complex type of psychology. You know I want to poison you. I serve us both glasses of wine. You think the poison is in the glass in front of you, but you know I know that's what you'd think, and so you realize the poison is actually in my glass, and I'm just waiting for your to drink from it instead.

Rules:

1. The only PMs you are allowed to use to talk about this game with other players are the PMs that I have specifically created for that purpose.
2. DPs will last until a majority vote has been reached or 48 hours has passed, whichever comes first. If the time-limit is reached, there will be no lynch.
3. NPs will last until everyone submits their night action or 48 hours has passed, whichever comes first. If the time-limit is reached, your action is forfeit.
4. Any DP or NP that starts or ends on a weekend will be automatically extended 24 hours.
5. Be active (submit any Night actions in a timely matter and participate in DP discussions). I will replace people at my discretion in response to low or no activity. I will prompt you once, and only once. If your activity remains low after that, you will be mod-killed.
6. You may not cut-and-paste from any game PM into the DP thread. You must always paraphrase. Simply replacing the occasional word with a synonym is not acceptable.
7. Excessive trolling will not be tolerated. One warning will be given per game. After that, I may mod-kill you.
8. All game related questions should be directed to me, via PM. You don't have to create a new PM, you may use your Role PM or mafia PM. If game related question are posted in the forum thread, please bold them.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 8:40:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Round 1:

This Round will introduce you to the concept and basics of Mafia, including Role Madness!

Set-Up:

The roles found in this game are from the following list and only from the following list:

Town Roles

Cop - Investigates Players' alignments
Dreamer - Learns players' alignments passively
Priest - Learns roles of players that visit him
Role Cop - Learns players' roles
Tracker - Learns who players visit
Watcher - Learns who visits a player
Oracle - Reveals a player's role upon death
Bodyguard - Redirects lethal actions to self
Bulletproof - Immune to night kills
Doctor - Prevents the deaths of players
Virgin - If lynched, prevents all deaths the following Night Phase
Bomb - If killed at night, kills his killer
Hunter - If lynched, may kill another player
Paranoid Gun Owner - Kills anyone that visits him at night
Super Saint - If lynched, kills whoever placed the last vote
Vigilante - May kill another player at night
Universal Backup - Assumes the role of the first Town player to die
Mimic - May copy another player's role
Roleblocker - May prevent another player from using their role
Innocent Child - Mod confirmed as a Townie during a certain Day Phase
Vanilla - Has no role
Pacifist - Cannot place votes on people at L-1
Aesthetic - Isn't affected by nonlethal actions
Sidekick - Can redirect nonlethal actions from one player to themselves

Mafia Roles


Role Cop - Learns players' roles
Suicide Bomber - May kill another player during the day, dying in the process
Mimic - May copy another player's role
Scout - Learns who players visit
Lookout - Learns who visits a player
Redirector - May redirect actions from one player to another
Role Stealer - May steal another player role. The new role is permanent.

Additionally, there is a maximum of only one of each role. However, if a role shows up in both the town and mafia lists (e.g. mimic) there can be both a town mimic and a mafia mimic in the game, though not 2 town mimics or 2 mafia mimics. Also, no townie can have a mafia role, but some mafia may have town roles.

Roles have been generated randomly, and have been randomly assigned.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 8:44:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
LIVING PLAYERS

DudeStop
YYW
XLAV
Jopo
7th
Tyler
Yay
Lannan
Khaos
Pots

With 10 players alive, it takes 6 votes to lynch.
The DP will end on 1/30/14 at 9:00pm DDO time.


Good luck!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Noumena
Posts: 6,047
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 8:56:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Dude is maf. Lynch him noi js.
: At 5/13/2014 7:05:20 PM, Crescendo wrote:
: The difference is that the gay movement is currently pushing their will on Churches, as shown in the link to gay marriage in Denmark. Meanwhile, the Inquisition ended several centuries ago.
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 9:02:12 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
ATTENTION

While the OP says that some mafia may have town roles, this is not correct for this game. I apologize for not omitting that from the old game.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 9:11:36 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
It seems to me like at least one scum will be an experienced player.

All affiliations are determined randomly. There are, however, many experienced players, so it is possible.

This confirms or denies nothing about the make up of the mafia team.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 9:16:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/28/2014 9:13:18 PM, XLAV wrote:
Guys I'm townie. K bye.

Oh, yeah... we really trust you now.
Tsar of DDO
DudeStop
Posts: 1,278
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 9:17:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/28/2014 8:56:17 PM, Noumena wrote:
Dude is maf. Lynch him noi js.

Have you seen the last beginners tutorial? Literally every time I was mafia, or very likely to be mafia because of my character.

A petty chance of there being a forth time, would you say? If someone would like to role cop me I welcome them to.
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 9:19:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/28/2014 9:17:32 PM, DudeStop wrote:
At 1/28/2014 8:56:17 PM, Noumena wrote:
Dude is maf. Lynch him noi js.

Have you seen the last beginners tutorial? Literally every time I was mafia, or very likely to be mafia because of my character.

A petty chance of there being a forth time, would you say? If someone would like to role cop me I welcome them to.

Life's not fair is it...
Tsar of DDO
DudeStop
Posts: 1,278
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 9:23:26 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/28/2014 9:19:41 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:17:32 PM, DudeStop wrote:
At 1/28/2014 8:56:17 PM, Noumena wrote:
Dude is maf. Lynch him noi js.

Have you seen the last beginners tutorial? Literally every time I was mafia, or very likely to be mafia because of my character.

A petty chance of there being a forth time, would you say? If someone would like to role cop me I welcome them to.

Life's not fair is it...

Coincidence, or evidence of cosmic force at work, Or I'm telling the truth.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 9:31:59 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/28/2014 9:23:26 PM, DudeStop wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:19:41 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:17:32 PM, DudeStop wrote:
At 1/28/2014 8:56:17 PM, Noumena wrote:
Dude is maf. Lynch him noi js.

Have you seen the last beginners tutorial? Literally every time I was mafia, or very likely to be mafia because of my character.

A petty chance of there being a forth time, would you say? If someone would like to role cop me I welcome them to.

Life's not fair is it...

Coincidence, or evidence of cosmic force at work, Or I'm telling the truth.

1. Why role cop and not regular cop?
2. Why shouldn't we lynch you, you have an affinity for being scum?
My work here is, finally, done.
SeventhProfessor
Posts: 5,086
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 9:35:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I'm here! And confirmable!
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
DudeStop
Posts: 1,278
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 9:37:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/28/2014 9:31:59 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:23:26 PM, DudeStop wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:19:41 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:17:32 PM, DudeStop wrote:
At 1/28/2014 8:56:17 PM, Noumena wrote:
Dude is maf. Lynch him noi js.

Have you seen the last beginners tutorial? Literally every time I was mafia, or very likely to be mafia because of my character.

A petty chance of there being a forth time, would you say? If someone would like to role cop me I welcome them to.

Life's not fair is it...

Coincidence, or evidence of cosmic force at work, Or I'm telling the truth.

1. Why role cop and not regular cop?
2. Why shouldn't we lynch you, you have an affinity for being scum?

I suppose any kind of cop would work. If he was calling BS on my role, obviously I would ask for a role cop.

I also have the affinity of being considered scum and turning out tk not be scum, as shown by previous mafia's and what I said above.
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 9:41:48 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/28/2014 9:23:26 PM, DudeStop wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:19:41 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:17:32 PM, DudeStop wrote:
At 1/28/2014 8:56:17 PM, Noumena wrote:
Dude is maf. Lynch him noi js.

Have you seen the last beginners tutorial? Literally every time I was mafia, or very likely to be mafia because of my character.

A petty chance of there being a forth time, would you say? If someone would like to role cop me I welcome them to.

Life's not fair is it...

Coincidence, or evidence of cosmic force at work, Or I'm telling the truth.

Well if I was scum, the first thing I'd try to do is establish my innocence so that I could avoid being lynched.
Tsar of DDO
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 9:42:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/28/2014 9:16:37 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:13:18 PM, XLAV wrote:
Guys I'm townie. K bye.

Oh, yeah... we really trust you now.

Meh, I trust him completely. Not.
Anyway, your not a beginner, are you?
Also, why won't you debate me on unemployment?
My work here is, finally, done.
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 9:44:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/28/2014 9:42:54 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:16:37 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:13:18 PM, XLAV wrote:
Guys I'm townie. K bye.

Oh, yeah... we really trust you now.

Meh, I trust him completely. Not.
Anyway, your not a beginner, are you?

I've never played before.

Also, why won't you debate me on unemployment?

Because the "and" needs to stay an "and."
Tsar of DDO
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 9:47:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/28/2014 9:44:21 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:42:54 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:16:37 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:13:18 PM, XLAV wrote:
Guys I'm townie. K bye.

Oh, yeah... we really trust you now.

Meh, I trust him completely. Not.
Anyway, your not a beginner, are you?

I've never played before.
I could have sworn I played with you once. Must have been someone else.

Also, why won't you debate me on unemployment?

Because the "and" needs to stay an "and."
And.... you suck. I still might take you up on it, but I need to think of a better argument.
My work here is, finally, done.
DudeStop
Posts: 1,278
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 9:49:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/28/2014 9:41:48 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:23:26 PM, DudeStop wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:19:41 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:17:32 PM, DudeStop wrote:
At 1/28/2014 8:56:17 PM, Noumena wrote:
Dude is maf. Lynch him noi js.

Have you seen the last beginners tutorial? Literally every time I was mafia, or very likely to be mafia because of my character.

A petty chance of there being a forth time, would you say? If someone would like to role cop me I welcome them to.

Life's not fair is it...

Coincidence, or evidence of cosmic force at work, Or I'm telling the truth.

Well if I was scum, the first thing I'd try to do is establish my innocence so that I could avoid being lynched.

It would be a free kill for the mafia if I did get lynched.

I suppose after what happened last time, (Said my character and everyone tried to kill me) That I would definitely want to establish my role.
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 9:56:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/28/2014 9:47:37 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:44:21 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:42:54 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:16:37 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:13:18 PM, XLAV wrote:
Guys I'm townie. K bye.

Oh, yeah... we really trust you now.

Meh, I trust him completely. Not.

I'm close to a VTL of XLAV guy just to see what happens.

Anyway, your not a beginner, are you?

I've never played before.
I could have sworn I played with you once. Must have been someone else.

I was signed up to do it, but I never did. Although the fun and games I have with other people in the forums... that's a "kind" of mafia. (an uninformed majority against an informed, persistent minority).


Also, why won't you debate me on unemployment?

Because the "and" needs to stay an "and."
And.... you suck. I still might take you up on it, but I need to think of a better argument.

Actually I do suck... almost every guy I've ever hooked up with... lol

but yeah, I'm specifically arguing against some tea-bagging bullsh!t from the Ayn Rand mouthpieces in the tea party.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Posts: 36,286
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 9:58:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/28/2014 9:49:31 PM, DudeStop wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:41:48 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:23:26 PM, DudeStop wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:19:41 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:17:32 PM, DudeStop wrote:
At 1/28/2014 8:56:17 PM, Noumena wrote:
Dude is maf. Lynch him noi js.

Have you seen the last beginners tutorial? Literally every time I was mafia, or very likely to be mafia because of my character.

A petty chance of there being a forth time, would you say? If someone would like to role cop me I welcome them to.

Life's not fair is it...

Coincidence, or evidence of cosmic force at work, Or I'm telling the truth.

Well if I was scum, the first thing I'd try to do is establish my innocence so that I could avoid being lynched.

It would be a free kill for the mafia if I did get lynched.

ehh... convince me why you're not scum.
Tsar of DDO
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 10:06:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 1/28/2014 9:56:18 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:47:37 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:44:21 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:42:54 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:16:37 PM, YYW wrote:
At 1/28/2014 9:13:18 PM, XLAV wrote:
Guys I'm townie. K bye.

Oh, yeah... we really trust you now.

Meh, I trust him completely. Not.

I'm close to a VTL of XLAV guy just to see what happens.
Actually, I'd let him be, and see what happens.
It is an odd thing for mafia to do, bringing attention to themselves and what not.
Don't you think?

Anyway, your not a beginner, are you?

I've never played before.
I could have sworn I played with you once. Must have been someone else.

I was signed up to do it, but I never did. Although the fun and games I have with other people in the forums... that's a "kind" of mafia. (an uninformed majority against an informed, persistent minority).
That must be what I was thinking then.


Also, why won't you debate me on unemployment?

Because the "and" needs to stay an "and."
And.... you suck. I still might take you up on it, but I need to think of a better argument.

Actually I do suck... almost every guy I've ever hooked up with... lol
I knew you'd take the bait.

but yeah, I'm specifically arguing against some tea-bagging bullsh!t from the Ayn Rand mouthpieces in the tea party.
You're not debating me.
My work here is, finally, done.
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 10:08:37 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
VOTE COUNT

XLAV (1/6) - YYW

nac
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
yay842
Posts: 5,680
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2014 10:13:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
dammit too lazy too read, well i win with town. I am the Pacifist (f*ck yea) which is such an easily confirmable role. Someone simply about to lynch someone, ill hammer them and it wont count. Watch, lynch anybody. but now im gonna start reading
30 Important Life Lessons
http://www.debate.org...
20 Terrifying Two-Sentence Horrors
http://www.debate.org...
20 Jokes That Only Geniuses Will Understand
http://www.debate.org...
Name One Song That Can't Match This GIF
http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net...