Beginners' Mafia 21.3: DP1

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 11:13:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
INTRODUCTION

The essence of DDO Mafia is the themed game. Almost all games on mafia are themed games. A themed game introduces new elements (and sometimes new mechanics) that add complexity and (hopefully) fun to the game.

In addition to an alignment and a role, players are also given characters that fit in with the theme. The roles almost (but not always or necessarily) fit with the character. This can be expressed in a number of ways. For example, if the theme is a TV show or movie, and your character is a cop, officer, or policeman, he might very will have the Mafia role of "Cop" due to the similarity in profession, if not function. Alternatively, if the character isn't such an occupation, but is otherwise good at discerning between good and evil, they might also be a "Cop" due to the similarity in function, if not profession.

Themes are limited only by the imagination. Most have to do with some form of media, such as TV shows, Literature, and Movies. Others are more abstract, like philosophies or politics. Literally anything can be a theme.

As said, themes add new elements to the game, which are summarized as follows:

1. Partial-claiming - Role-claiming can be dangerous for Townies to do, as it helps mafia decide who they need to kill. Instead of role-claiming, you can character claim. While your character may hint at your role, it is still safer than full claiming.

2. Fake-claiming - Mafia normally have to fake claim their roles when forced to claim in theme-less games. In themed games they also have to fake claim characters. Arguably this is more difficult. In role-claiming, they simply have to avoid being counter-claimed. In character claiming, they have to claim a character from the theme, is consistent with their role, and is major enough to be expected (though not all characters in the game will be major).

3. Patterns - Usually, there will be some distinguishing factor between the different factions. Normally this is a good vs. evil type discrimination, but not always. Remember, the Mafia start the game knowing 1/3rd of the role PMs, so have a head start in discerning any patterns and obfuscating Town's ability to also learn it.

4. Mod Psychology - Creating a themed game, including writing PMs, requires more input from the mod. Based on analysis of the game's creation, how the role PMs are written, and any patterns discovered, you can try and determine how the game was constructed in an effort to hunt for scum. However, this is more of an art than a science. Mistakes and deliberately traps created by the mod can hinder such an analysis. Trying to predict the mod's psychology is a double edged sword.

In this game, role were assigned randomly, but not randomly generated. In other words, I selected the roles (and tried to balance them) and then randomly assigned each player one of the roles I had pre-selected.

This is the first time I have balanced a game entirely on my own--I hope it works out. This could have TPs, could have flavors, etc. If it was in a prior game, it could be in this one. Also, a complete list of possible roles can be found here: https://docs.google.com...

I'll give you one hint as to this game's theme: You're all in the pokedex.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 11:15:08 PM
LIVING PLAYERS

Josh
YYW
Jopo
GCL
Pots
Khaos
Oromagi
XLAV
Tyler
Fazz

With 10 players alive, it takes 6 votes to lynch.
The DP ends at 9:00pm DDO time, on 2/24/14.

Good luck!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 11:27:17 PM
Oh, this may be a useful link: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 11:30:22 PM
Okey dokey. Here is what I have to say. We, town, have a Wincon. This means that our PM does not say "you win with the town". It says something completely different. It says "you wi with the------------------".

Scum do not know what it says. This is a incredible advantage to town, as it allows us to use it to confirm a player. It can only be used once. What ever you do, do not say what it is. This is a key advantage for us.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 11:30:39 PM
Okay, so Pots wanted to say something first, but I doubt he was going to say this:

I am sure you all notice your role PMs are longer than before. This is because this game is a theme game, and as such, there is more to observe.

Take the following role PM example:
Khaos_Mage, you are Ash Katchem. As an obsessive little boy with no life, you try to catch all the pokemon, by traveling to distant lands. As such, you are the traveler. Each night, you may visit two players, and learn something about their roles. You win with anime.

The role is broken down as follows, pay attention to the vocabulary:
Character - Ash Katchem
Role - Traveler
Justification - travel the lands to catch all pokemon
Wincon - You win with anime.

YOU MUST PARAPHRASE YOUR JUSTIFICATION!!!
My work here is, finally, done.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 11:33:00 PM
At 2/21/2014 11:30:39 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Okay, so Pots wanted to say something first, but I doubt he was going to say this:

I am sure you all notice your role PMs are longer than before. This is because this game is a theme game, and as such, there is more to observe.

Khaos_Mage, you are Ash Katchem. As an obsessive little boy with no life, you try to catch all the pokemon, by traveling to distant lands. As such, you are the traveler. Each night, you may visit two players, and learn something about their roles. You win with anime.

Character - Ash Katchem
Role - Traveler

Just to clarify, how much of this is real? As in, this post is an example, example only, and does not in any way reflect your real role PM right?

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 11:33:21 PM
At 2/21/2014 11:30:22 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
Okey dokey. Here is what I have to say. We, town, have a Wincon. This means that our PM does not say "you win with the town". It says something completely different. It says "you wi with the------------------".

Scum do not know what it says. This is a incredible advantage to town, as it allows us to use it to confirm a player. It can only be used once. What ever you do, do not say what it is. This is a key advantage for us.

Was this your big announcement?
Why should we trust you are "town"? Wouldn't mafia also come out and say this, in an effort to extract the information from a known townie?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 11:34:27 PM
At 2/21/2014 11:33:00 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
At 2/21/2014 11:30:39 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Character - Ash Katchem
Role - Traveler

Just to clarify, how much of this is real? As in, this post is an example, example only, and does not in any way reflect your real role PM right?

Correct.
I don't think Ash is in the pokedex.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 11:37:51 PM
At 2/21/2014 11:33:21 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 2/21/2014 11:30:22 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

Was this your big announcement?
Why should we trust you are "town"? Wouldn't mafia also come out and say this, in an effort to extract the information from a known townie?

Yes, this was my announcement.

You should not in any way interpret this to mean that I am town, no. There is, as of right now, no reason at all to believe that I am town. I could be scum trying to town cred, very feasibly.

I posted this so that none of the noobs who don't know what is going on here say something like "why does it say I win with the XXXXXX? Is that town or scum?" Thus nullifying towns advantage in having the Wincon to begin with.

Of course, I could be WIFOMing my @$$ off right now, couldn't i?

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 11:44:28 PM
I'll be on for ten more mins, then I'm out for the night. We are hosting science Olympiad on our campus tomorrow, and they have the entire science department working, so I don't know how much time I will have tomorrow. I doubt I will be on any sooner than four in the afternoon, but I might drop in briefly before then.

In the meantime, let's get some activity going.

VTL KHAOS for character.

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 11:45:11 PM
VOTE COUNT

Khaos (1/6) - Pots
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 11:49:58 PM
At 2/21/2014 11:37:51 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

I posted this so that none of the noobs who don't know what is going on here say something like "why does it say I win with the XXXXXX? Is that town or scum?" Thus nullifying towns advantage in having the Wincon to begin with.

Fair enough, but that would also confirm them, wouldn't it, unless mafia guessed it?
Either way, what do you suggest we do?

And so could my post to you, eh?

I would assume GCL would be the best target for this test. What say you?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 11:52:00 PM
At 2/21/2014 11:44:28 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
I'll be on for ten more mins, then I'm out for the night. We are hosting science Olympiad on our campus tomorrow, and they have the entire science department working, so I don't know how much time I will have tomorrow. I doubt I will be on any sooner than four in the afternoon, but I might drop in briefly before then.

VTL KHAOS for character.

Really, me?
Why not, oh, I don't know, anyone whose been posting in the endgame thread and hasn't made posts helping noobs?

VTL josh
Josh_b
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 11:52:34 PM
Man, I was so busy in the other forum, I didn't realize the game had moved over here. However. I'm probably the last to arrive, yet the first to post. KM are you feeling me on this one?
Scrutiny Welcome

AMAA http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 11:54:04 PM
At 2/21/2014 11:52:34 PM, Josh_b wrote:
Man, I was so busy in the other forum, I didn't realize the game had moved over here. However. I'm probably the last to arrive, yet the first to post. KM are you feeling me on this one?

Feeling you how?
Care to give your character? It is far less intrusive than a role. It is like a built in soft claim.
PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 11:55:01 PM
At 2/21/2014 11:49:58 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Fair enough, but that would also confirm them, wouldn't it, unless mafia guessed it?

I am not familiar with the theme, so I have no clue as to how easy this is to guess.
While it would indeed confirm them as townie, what if they were not the ones who are really worth using it on? I would, for example, much prefer that it be used on an active player who is likely to have real input like yourself, jopo, or josh than on a player who tends to lurk and not talk as much like Fazz.

I say we wait and let the DP develop. I don't think it prudent to use it right away. Let's see how we can best use it.

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 11:56:18 PM
At 2/21/2014 11:52:00 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 2/21/2014 11:44:28 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

VTL KHAOS for character.

Really, me?
Why not, oh, I don't know, anyone whose been posting in the endgame thread and hasn't made posts helping noobs?

Reaction test. You passed for now.

VTL josh

Unvote

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 11:56:46 PM
VOTE COUNT

Khaos (1/6) - Pots
Josh (1/6) - Khaos
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 11:57:07 PM
At 2/21/2014 11:56:46 PM, bsh1 wrote:
VOTE COUNT

Khaos (1/6) - Pots

fix'd
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 11:57:21 PM
At 2/21/2014 11:55:01 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
At 2/21/2014 11:49:58 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

I am not familiar with the theme, so I have no clue as to how easy this is to guess.
While it would indeed confirm them as townie, what if they were not the ones who are really worth using it on? I would, for example, much prefer that it be used on an active player who is likely to have real input like yourself, jopo, or josh than on a player who tends to lurk and not talk as much like Fazz.

Fair enough.
But, keep in mind that mafia has at least two players, if not three. Two heads are better than one and all that...

I say we wait and let the DP develop. I don't think it prudent to use it right away. Let's see how we can best use it.
Alright.
I kind of one to sit back and watch for awhile. Can't always lead, you know.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 11:58:16 PM
VOTE COUNT

Josh (1/6) - Khaos
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/21/2014 11:59:25 PM
Hey josh, mind claiming you character? I need to see someone else's claim in order to decide if mine is safe to claim as well.

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 12:01:13 AM
At 2/21/2014 11:59:25 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
Hey josh, mind claiming you character? I need to see someone else's claim in order to decide if mine is safe to claim as well.

Care to reword that?
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 12:03:26 AM
At 2/22/2014 12:01:13 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Care to reword that?

lol...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 12:05:03 AM

Care to reword that?

How and why?

I don't know enough about the theme and our Wincon to decide if my character, one so easily connected to the Wincon, will give it away. I want to see other claims in order to get a better grasp on this situation.

Why do I need to reword it?

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 12:07:45 AM
At 2/22/2014 12:05:03 AM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

Care to reword that?

How and why?

I don't know enough about the theme and our Wincon to decide if my character, one so easily connected to the Wincon, will give it away. I want to see other claims in order to get a better grasp on this situation.

Ah, that makes more sense.
Just reread what you wrote and try to see how odd it looked.
Josh_b
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 12:09:55 AM
Ok hold on for a sec while I figure this game out. There are new roles that I've never seen before and apparently pokemon that I've never heard of.

Why didn't I get a cool pokemon like Charizard of bulbasaur. Heck I would have even been happy with clefairy. Did someone get clefairy because if you did I'm jealous.

BSH1 did you pick this theme because you're gay.
There were a bunch of kids walking around at my school with pokemon attached to their backpacks and hanging off their belt loops and what not, so I asked one why the crap he was walking around with a stuffed animal in his backpack and he told me it was because he was gay. TRUE STORY.

I guess it's like a girl wearing a thumb ring or a guy having his ear pierced only more gang like for the kids of today.

When I make my own themed game it's gonna be my little ponies or something lame that makes references back to MassiveDump or something like that.
Scrutiny Welcome

PotBelliedGeek
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 12:11:06 AM
At 2/22/2014 12:07:45 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 2/22/2014 12:05:03 AM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

Care to reword that?

How and why?

Ah, that makes more sense.
Just reread what you wrote and try to see how odd it looked.

Can I borrow your tinfoil hat for a moment?

Let's see....
Best I can come up with is that I might be trying to craft a fake claim?

jopo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 12:11:25 AM
Hello there lovely world :) so since it is 1:10 here and I am getting up at 7:30 tomorrow at the latest I'm feeling like it's probably bed time for me. There's a big event on my campus tomorrow so I don't know how free I'll be - I'll try to steal a few minutes away, but I am going to be with the President of my school so I can't guarantee it will be doable. All of that to say .... good night I guess. I will check back in tomorrow before I get ready.
Josh_b
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2014 12:11:41 AM

I have to look up mine in the Pokedex (google)
I wish I had Jiggly Puff.
Scrutiny Welcome