Jump to topic:

Have video games gotten boring?

Dishoungh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2014 3:07:00 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
This has been going on for a while. Every time I pop a disc in my Xbox, 5 minutes later, I don't want to play anymore. This is not the case for strategy games because I like those.
I may be somewhat ingenuous. But, I will defy against all odds to seek righteousness and justice. That's my goal.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2014 3:28:33 PM
At 3/22/2014 3:07:00 PM, Dishoungh wrote:
This has been going on for a while. Every time I pop a disc in my Xbox, 5 minutes later, I don't want to play anymore. This is not the case for strategy games because I like those.

It's not video games, it's you.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Lucky_Luciano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2014 3:32:46 PM
Age of Wonders III, being released at the end of the month, is going to be the end-all-be-all of video games for me for at least a few months. -_-
"Age is not important" - Airmax 2014
"Australia... is that a place?" - Airmax 2014
Dishoungh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2014 3:47:17 PM
At 3/22/2014 3:28:33 PM, tvellalott wrote:

I'm boring?
I may be somewhat ingenuous. But, I will defy against all odds to seek righteousness and justice. That's my goal.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2014 8:20:00 PM

I don't play video games so I wouldnt know
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2014 9:17:16 PM
At 3/22/2014 3:47:17 PM, Dishoungh wrote:

I'm boring?

Yes. Boring people complain about things being boring.

Muh threads
Dishoungh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/22/2014 9:19:07 PM
At 3/22/2014 9:17:16 PM, tvellalott wrote:

I'm boring?

But, you're complaining about me complaining about things being boring. So, you're boring too.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2014 2:37:36 AM
At 3/22/2014 9:19:07 PM, Dishoungh wrote:
At 3/22/2014 9:17:16 PM, tvellalott wrote:

I'm boring?

But, you're complaining about me complaining about things being boring. So, you're boring too.

I'm not complaining. I'm merely pointing out that anyone who cannot find entertainment and enjoyment in video games, yet clearly plays them (as evidenced by the existence of this thread) is clearly boring themselves. Video games are not boring as millions of people can attest to.
You are quite entitled to be boring. It doesn't negatively affect me in the least, thus I have no cause to complain.

Muh threads
oculus_de_logica
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 8:25:01 AM
This has been going on for a while. Every time I pop a disc in my Xbox, 5 minutes later, I don't want to play anymore. =>This is not the case for strategy games because I like those <=

you just answered your own question. The reason you're getting bored is because you do not enjoy the games you're playing, they don't appeal to you. But strategy games do appeal to you, your interest and your skills and as such you enjoy them.

the issue is not that video games are boring, the issue is if you're playing the correct video games. ;)
<( o_o )>
Srom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/27/2014 10:54:30 PM
Not for me no. I play a wide variety of games. Right now I've been playing a lot of Infamous Second Son.
Dishoungh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2014 12:24:20 PM
At 3/25/2014 8:25:01 AM, oculus_de_logica wrote:
This has been going on for a while. Every time I pop a disc in my Xbox, 5 minutes later, I don't want to play anymore. =>This is not the case for strategy games because I like those <=

you just answered your own question. The reason you're getting bored is because you do not enjoy the games you're playing, they don't appeal to you. But strategy games do appeal to you, your interest and your skills and as such you enjoy them.

the issue is not that video games are boring, the issue is if you're playing the correct video games. ;)

FPS games are so boring. That's it. It's so boring, I might as well sell all of them so I can build myself a PC to play more strategy games. Strategy games on consoles kind of suck.
pendant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 9:11:38 AM

Please define your use of the term 'video games' (as without this, I cannot offer an opinion).
"Pendant, n: One who, by correcting others, gives himself (or herself) just enough rope by which to hang." -- Me, 2006

"The Internet: facilitating miscommunication at the speed of light since the mid-late twentieth century." -- Me, 2008

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." -- various
Dishoungh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 9:17:55 AM
At 3/30/2014 9:11:38 AM, pendant wrote:

Please define your use of the term 'video games' (as without this, I cannot offer an opinion).

Video Games. Games that's playable in a TV screen. It's pretty self explanatory. Why do I need to define it for you?
pendant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 9:30:30 AM
At 3/30/2014 9:17:55 AM, Dishoungh wrote:

Video Games. Games that's playable in a TV screen. It's pretty self explanatory. Why do I need to define it for you?

Q: Why do I need to define it for you?
A: 'Strategy games' can also be played on 'a TV screen' (or computer monitor). Thus 'strategy game' == 'video game' == 'boring'.*

* I play strategy games a lot, have done for years. I do find that some of them can be boring, too. Examples:
1. Shogun (superb... but boring once you discover that you can use sea transport to invade and the AI never does, and never defends against the possibility)
2. Shogun II (boring from the outset because instead of building on the strengths of its prececessor it is instead a poorly disguised framework for setting up boring** 'video game style' battles that rely very little upon strategy)

** the term 'boring' is subjective
"Pendant, n: One who, by correcting others, gives himself (or herself) just enough rope by which to hang." -- Me, 2006

"The Internet: facilitating miscommunication at the speed of light since the mid-late twentieth century." -- Me, 2008

"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." -- various
Dishoungh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 9:40:19 AM
At 3/30/2014 9:30:30 AM, pendant wrote:
At 3/30/2014 9:17:55 AM, Dishoungh wrote:

Q: Why do I need to define it for you?
A: 'Strategy games' can also be played on 'a TV screen' (or computer monitor). Thus 'strategy game' == 'video game' == 'boring'.*

* I play strategy games a lot, have done for years. I do find that some of them can be boring, too. Examples:
1. Shogun (superb... but boring once you discover that you can use sea transport to invade and the AI never does, and never defends against the possibility)
2. Shogun II (boring from the outset because instead of building on the strengths of its prececessor it is instead a poorly disguised framework for setting up boring** 'video game style' battles that rely very little upon strategy)

** the term 'boring' is subjective

Hey, can you do something for me? Go to my profile, go to my debates, and go to the one that says Oculus Rift and Project Morphesus. DON'T VOTE ON IT! If you see it, look at the arguments Con and I typed. Then, come back and reply to me who would you vote for. I do this because con thinks he's the only one logical and he calls me a disgrace to the DDO community. I'll show him that he's the disgrace. Yeah, go to the comments too. Can you do that?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 10:03:56 AM
At 3/30/2014 9:40:19 AM, Dishoungh wrote:

Hey, can you do something for me? Go to my profile, go to my debates, and go to the one that says Oculus Rift and Project Morphesus. DON'T VOTE ON IT! If you see it, look at the arguments Con and I typed. Then, come back and reply to me who would you vote for. I do this because con thinks he's the only one logical and he calls me a disgrace to the DDO community. I'll show him that he's the disgrace. Yeah, go to the comments too. Can you do that?

Quick scan of it, I think he would have won.
You made some poor arguments and made assumptions, but I am not sure he countered them and might have done the same.

The reason you would have lost is you tried to change the debate mid-debate. You did not define what success was, nor challenged it, but in round 4, you agree that it will sell (agreed with him), then you try to tell him he is wrong. You, as instigator, are responsible for defining terms and setting the tone for the debate. You failed, and your round 1 arguments seemed to suggest it wouldn't be successful due to either profits or quality.

Further, you would lose conduct for instigating a debate, yet constantly stating you don't care about the very topic you created.
My work here is, finally, done.
Dishoungh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 11:05:22 AM
At 3/30/2014 10:03:56 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

You made some poor arguments and made assumptions, but I am not sure he countered them and might have done the same.

The reason you would have lost is you tried to change the debate mid-debate. You did not define what success was, nor challenged it, but in round 4, you agree that it will sell (agreed with him), then you try to tell him he is wrong. You, as instigator, are responsible for defining terms and setting the tone for the debate. You failed, and your round 1 arguments seemed to suggest it wouldn't be successful due to either profits or quality.

Further, you would lose conduct for instigating a debate, yet constantly stating you don't care about the very topic you created.

I did define success multiple times. I said there was a consumer success and I said there was a business success. I said it will sell obviously. But that doesn't mean it won't fall flat on its face and fail at its features. The same thing happened to the Kinect. The same thing happened for games like Titanfall, Aliens Colonial Marines. Of course, I'm going to change somewhat. You expect me to say the same thing over and over? You probably didn't read all of it. Don't just read the small things. There are critical things I've said I'm the debate.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 11:17:00 AM
At 3/30/2014 11:05:22 AM, Dishoungh wrote:

I did define success multiple times. I said there was a consumer success and I said there was a business success. I said it will sell obviously. But that doesn't mean it won't fall flat on its face and fail at its features. The same thing happened to the Kinect. The same thing happened for games like Titanfall, Aliens Colonial Marines. Of course, I'm going to change somewhat. You expect me to say the same thing over and over? You probably didn't read all of it. Don't just read the small things. There are critical things I've said I'm the debate.

Yes, you said those in the later rounds.
Not in the first, where you should have, nor did you immediately rebuke it in round 2, if at all. Since you failed to do so, Con's definition stands, and he is right to call you out on it later.

A few of your arguments dealt with the 9,000 kickstarter folks. You made the assumption they were gamers. They could have all been venture capitalists, and not gamers at all. Thus, you conclusions drawn from that fact are flawed. However, since Con didn't seem to rebut it, it should not be taken into consideration for judging points.
Dishoungh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 12:10:35 PM
At 3/30/2014 11:17:00 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

Not in the first, where you should have, nor did you immediately rebuke it in round 2, if at all. Since you failed to do so, Con's definition stands, and he is right to call you out on it later.

A few of your arguments dealt with the 9,000 kickstarter folks. You made the assumption they were gamers. They could have all been venture capitalists, and not gamers at all. Thus, you conclusions drawn from that fact are flawed. However, since Con didn't seem to rebut it, it should not be taken into consideration for judging points.

What does me stating that later have to do with it? Stop using that as an excuse. Even though I did change it somewhat, I gave an argument on why it could fall flat on its face. That's what I said in the very beginning. I told him what I meant. If I told him what I meant, there is no excuse to just quit out and stop making arguments. You're saying that this was Con's debate. Diversify your arguments. That's what I exactly did. How can you give convincing arguments when you state the same thing over and over and also not give diverse elaboration? I gave way more proof than he did. That link of the Kinect's sales was the ender right there. That was proof right there. You said his definition stands tall. He has only ONE! I have more than 10. What is your definition of a good argument? His arguments was poor just as mine. I've countered every statement he made. He only countered a few of mine.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/30/2014 12:25:53 PM
At 3/30/2014 12:10:35 PM, Dishoungh wrote:
At 3/30/2014 11:17:00 AM, Khaos_Mage wrote:

What does me stating that later have to do with it? Stop using that as an excuse. Even though I did change it somewhat, I gave an argument on why it could fall flat on its face. That's what I said in the very beginning. I told him what I meant. If I told him what I meant, there is no excuse to just quit out and stop making arguments. You're saying that this was Con's debate. Diversify your arguments. That's what I exactly did. How can you give convincing arguments when you state the same thing over and over and also not give diverse elaboration? I gave way more proof than he did. That link of the Kinect's sales was the ender right there. That was proof right there. You said his definition stands tall. He has only ONE! I have more than 10. What is your definition of a good argument? His arguments was poor just as mine. I've countered every statement he made. He only countered a few of mine.

You cannot change the definition, thus wasting rounds, because you failed to define them. Debates can turn on wordings and definitions.
The fact you said it would sell, shows that it would not be a failure, as defined by Con.

If quality or longevity was the issue, it should have been defined as such.

Are you suggesting that if you took my debate saying that family should not spoil children, and you accept talking about grandparents, and after a few rounds, I go "no, no, I am talking about the parents only", which is something you might well not have accepted, you don't have a right to be upset? Con wasted time defending against a view that you late in the game decided to say was against the rules.
WheezySquash8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2014 7:18:18 PM

Nope. :-)
Pacifist Since 3/12/14
Wheezy