Jump to topic:

The VR Headset things are gimmicks

Dishoungh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 10:29:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
They really are. I know people will still buy them and that's fine. This is my opinion and I want to hear your opinion respectfully. Plus, I'm frustratingly bored again and I'm, again, desperate for a topic to talk about. Now here are some reasons that I find VR Headsets stupid and they're just stratagems to me personally.

#1: It's just a $300 device that let's you "see."

I mean, you can already see with your regular HDTV. There's no reason to have something else and waste more money on something that makes you see what's happening on screen. There's no point to them.

#2: Only a very small percentage of games will probably get the 100% effective out of these

The only thing that I see the Oculus Rift will be purely functional are flight simulators and, maybe, racing simulators. I mean, I'm interested in flight simulators a little bit. I want to try some, but still, that's it.

#3. They're overpriced

I mean, really? 300 dollars? 300 dollars for a visual peripheral? Really? Why would I spend 300 dollars for something that I can already do for a TV?

#4. You're probably going to be annoyed

Yes, we've all been through that time where we spent huge money on something that we enjoyed....ONLY FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS! You're going to have to take that thing off very frequently to do basic things like eat/drink, take a piss, work, etc.
I may be somewhat ingenuous. But, I will defy against all odds to seek righteousness and justice. That's my goal.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2014 10:57:06 PM
At 3/25/2014 10:29:51 PM, Dishoungh wrote:
They really are. I know people will still buy them and that's fine. This is my opinion and I want to hear your opinion respectfully. Plus, I'm frustratingly bored again and I'm, again, desperate for a topic to talk about. Now here are some reasons that I find VR Headsets stupid and they're just stratagems to me personally.

I mean, you can already see with your regular HDTV. There's no reason to have something else and waste more money on something that makes you see what's happening on screen. There's no point to them.

#2: Only a very small percentage of games will probably get the 100% effective out of these

The only thing that I see the Oculus Rift will be purely functional are flight simulators and, maybe, racing simulators. I mean, I'm interested in flight simulators a little bit. I want to try some, but still, that's it.

#3. They're overpriced

I mean, really? 300 dollars? 300 dollars for a visual peripheral? Really? Why would I spend 300 dollars for something that I can already do for a TV?

Yes, we've all been through that time where we spent huge money on something that we enjoyed....ONLY FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS! You're going to have to take that thing off very frequently to do basic things like eat/drink, take a piss, work, etc.

I haven't used these devices whatsoever. That said, I bought a 3DS and while, yes, it's a gimmick, it's a neat gimmick, and I find myself turning the 3d on more than I ever thought I would (also, it works on me, which is difficult due to an eye condition I have which gives me non-true-depth-perception, but rather a "compensatory" depth perception).
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2014 4:53:31 AM
At 3/25/2014 10:57:06 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

I haven't used these devices whatsoever. That said, I bought a 3DS and while, yes, it's a gimmick, it's a neat gimmick, and I find myself turning the 3d on more than I ever thought I would (also, it works on me, which is difficult due to an eye condition I have which gives me non-true-depth-perception, but rather a "compensatory" depth perception).

This is so true. I got my 3DS mainly just for one game (really a bad idea but I suppose I'll have it now in case another game comes out I want), and I never thought I would actually turn the bloody thing on because it was pointless and it gave me a headache the first time I used it. But I found myself turning it on more and more just because it looked f*cking cool.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
TS-387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2014 5:51:18 AM
At 3/26/2014 4:53:31 AM, Zaradi wrote:

This is so true. I got my 3DS mainly just for one game (really a bad idea but I suppose I'll have it now in case another game comes out I want), and I never thought I would actually turn the bloody thing on because it was pointless and it gave me a headache the first time I used it. But I found myself turning it on more and more just because it looked f*cking cool.

same here. I was in pretty much the exact same situation.
What game?
MST_SlGNATURE_31803
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2014 6:11:31 AM
At 3/26/2014 5:51:18 AM, TS-387 wrote:

What game?

Fire Emblem: Awakening
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
TS-387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2014 6:13:34 AM
At 3/26/2014 6:11:31 AM, Zaradi wrote:

What game?

lol same
MST_SlGNATURE_31803
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2014 12:43:10 PM
At 3/26/2014 6:11:31 AM, Zaradi wrote:

What game?

I got mine for Zelda.
Dishoungh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2014 3:10:30 PM

#3. They're overpriced

There's no point to them. The only point I see to them if you're some guy who loves flight simulators and you want to be in the Air Force when you grow up.
I may be somewhat ingenuous. But, I will defy against all odds to seek righteousness and justice. That's my goal.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2014 4:55:37 PM
At 3/26/2014 3:10:30 PM, Dishoungh wrote:

#3. They're overpriced

There's no point to them. The only point I see to them if you're some guy who loves flight simulators and you want to be in the Air Force when you grow up.

Have you used one?
Dishoungh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2014 5:47:07 PM
At 3/26/2014 4:55:37 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:
At 3/26/2014 3:10:30 PM, Dishoungh wrote:

#3. They're overpriced

Have you used one?

What does me not using one have to do with it not being a gimmick. The question is "what am I going to use it for?" To see? Even though we have TVs for that?
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/26/2014 7:14:28 PM
At 3/26/2014 5:47:07 PM, Dishoungh wrote:

Have you used one?

What does me not using one have to do with it not being a gimmick. The question is "what am I going to use it for?" To see? Even though we have TVs for that?

TVs do not provide an immersive 3d experience.

Maybe it's just a gimmick, but maybe it'll be like the transition from 2d gaming to 3d gaming. That you haven't used it means that you aren't saying it's a gimmick from experience. Maybe if you used it you'd be blown away--as blown away as people have been during the various graphics revolutions. We started with Pong. Why did we "need" 8 bits? Why did we need 16? Why did we need 64 bits and full 3d rendering?