Jump to topic:

Three Curtains

rstrats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 7:01:05 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
You are a contestant on a game show. There are three curtains. Behind one of the curtains is a new car. You are asked to choose one of the curtains. Lets say that you choose curtain #1. The host of the show - who knows where the car is so as not to end the game prematurely - opens curtain #3 and of course there is no car behind it. The host now gives you a choice. You can stay with curtain #1 or you can change your choice to curtain #2. The question now is: would it be to your advantage to stay with curtain #1, or would it be to your advantage to change to curtain #2 or would there be no advantage either way?
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 1:21:51 PM
At 4/10/2014 12:50:18 PM, rstrats wrote:
Sorry. I didn't go back 2 1/2 years to see if the question had been asked. I shall ask the mods to delete the topic.

The problem itself is 40 years old.
rstrats
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 2:46:59 PM
TheGreatAndPowerful,

You know what - I went back and looked up your Monty Hall problem and I find that it is completely different from mine. In his problem he uses doors, whereas mine uses curtains. Also, he has goats or some other undesirable prize behind two of his doors, whereas mine has nothing behind two of my curtains. So I think I am just going to leave the topic on here. Hopefully it won't cause you too much concern.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2014 7:00:54 PM
At 4/10/2014 2:46:59 PM, rstrats wrote:
TheGreatAndPowerful,

You know what - I went back and looked up your Monty Hall problem and I find that it is completely different from mine. In his problem he uses doors, whereas mine uses curtains. Also, he has goats or some other undesirable prize behind two of his doors, whereas mine has nothing behind two of my curtains. So I think I am just going to leave the topic on here. Hopefully it won't cause you too much concern.

You're... you're joking right? The differences you site are superficial and don't change the answer.

The math is the same and it's better to switch.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 4:45:39 AM
Monty Hall Problem.
Lying on the hill, crawling over the windowsill into your living room, they stare out, glass-eyed aimless heads, bodies torn by vultures. You are the man whose hands are rank with the smell of death. - Peter Hammill, "The Emperor in His War Room"
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 5:55:58 AM
At 4/15/2014 4:45:39 AM, Subutai wrote:
Monty Hall Problem.

No. It's completely different. This one has curtains.
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 9:31:32 PM
At 4/15/2014 5:55:58 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
Monty Hall Problem.

Doors, curtains, doesn't matter (even though on Let's Make a Deal, they used curtains), it's still the same story with the same lesson on probability. You can't say they're even somewhat different, much less completely different.
Lying on the hill, crawling over the windowsill into your living room, they stare out, glass-eyed aimless heads, bodies torn by vultures. You are the man whose hands are rank with the smell of death. - Peter Hammill, "The Emperor in His War Room"
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/15/2014 9:34:36 PM
At 4/15/2014 9:31:32 PM, Subutai wrote:
At 4/15/2014 5:55:58 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
Monty Hall Problem.

Doors, curtains, doesn't matter (even though on Let's Make a Deal, they used curtains), it's still the same story with the same lesson on probability. You can't say they're even somewhat different, much less completely different.

Read the thread.
He was being sarcastic.
My work here is, finally, done.