Total Posts:235|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Beginners' Mafia 25.3: DP1

bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 8:12:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
INTRODUCTION

The essence of DDO Mafia is the themed game. Almost all games on mafia are themed games. A themed game introduces new elements (and sometimes new mechanics) that add complexity and (hopefully) fun to the game.

In addition to an alignment and a role, players are also given characters that fit in with the theme. The roles almost (but not always or necessarily) fit with the character. This can be expressed in a number of ways. For example, if the theme is a TV show or movie, and your character is a cop, officer, or policeman, he might very will have the Mafia role of "Cop" due to the similarity in profession, if not function. Alternatively, if the character isn't such an occupation, but is otherwise good at discerning between good and evil, they might also be a "Cop" due to the similarity in function, if not profession.

Themes are limited only by the imagination. Most have to do with some form of media, such as TV shows, Literature, and Movies. Others are more abstract, like philosophies or politics. Literally anything can be a theme.

As said, themes add new elements to the game, which are summarized as follows:

1. Partial-claiming - Role-claiming can be dangerous for Townies to do, as it helps mafia decide who they need to kill. Instead of role-claiming, you can character claim. While your character may hint at your role, it is still safer than full claiming.

2. Fake-claiming - Mafia normally have to fake claim their roles when forced to claim in theme-less games. In themed games they also have to fake claim characters. Arguably this is more difficult. In role-claiming, they simply have to avoid being counter-claimed. In character claiming, they have to claim a character from the theme, is consistent with their role, and is major enough to be expected (though not all characters in the game will be major).

3. Patterns - Usually, there will be some distinguishing factor between the different factions. Normally this is a good vs. evil type discrimination, but not always. Remember, the Mafia start the game knowing 1/3rd of the role PMs, so have a head start in discerning any patterns and obfuscating Town's ability to also learn it.

4. Mod Psychology - Creating a themed game, including writing PMs, requires more input from the mod. Based on analysis of the game's creation, how the role PMs are written, and any patterns discovered, you can try and determine how the game was constructed in an effort to hunt for scum. However, this is more of an art than a science. Mistakes and deliberately traps created by the mod can hinder such an analysis. Trying to predict the mod's psychology is a double edged sword.

In this game, role were assigned randomly, but not randomly generated. In other words, I selected the roles (and tried to balance them) and then randomly assigned each player one of the roles I had pre-selected.

This is the first time I have balanced a game entirely on my own--I hope it works out. This could have TPs, could have flavors, etc. If it was in a prior game, it could be in this one. Also, a complete list of possible roles can be found here: https://docs.google.com...

And now, a hint as to the theme! This theme isn't as coherent as others I've done, but it is certainly researchable... :) I know the perfect clue, too (see the video)!

Now...what are some of my favorite things...YYW, chocolate, hazelnut icecream *voice drifts off into the distance*...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 8:14:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
LIVING PLAYERS

Cin
Wylted
Mikal
Romanii
Niqash
Pots
Oro
Endark
Lannan
XLAV
Khaos

OTHER

Pots is replacing Angel. Also, Khaos is now joining the game as a player (this ensure neither side has an advantage by having an advisor that the other side doesn't.)

With 11 players alive, it takes 6 votes to lynch.
The DP ends at 3:00pm, DDO time, 6/2/14.


Good luck!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
PotBelliedGeek
Posts: 4,298
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 8:18:33 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Lets get this show on the road! Any ideas as to the theme? I know my character well.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
PotBelliedGeek
Posts: 4,298
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 8:33:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/31/2014 8:29:37 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Also, I have no idea who I am, therefore I know I have no idea what the theme is.
Kapow!!

Google. it helps.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
PotBelliedGeek
Posts: 4,298
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 8:35:18 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/31/2014 8:23:44 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
I have a scummy role... so I ask to be investigated tonight.

What kind of scummy role? You could be a godfather. Methinks you should claim.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 8:36:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/31/2014 8:33:55 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:29:37 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Also, I have no idea who I am, therefore I know I have no idea what the theme is.
Kapow!!

Google. it helps.

I british, and some pop.
I'm too old for this theme. (STOP RUBBING MY AGE IN MY FACE YOU HEARTLESS MOD!!!)
I'm Jessie J, whoever that is.
My work here is, finally, done.
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 8:37:51 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/31/2014 8:36:22 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:33:55 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

I'm too old for this theme. (STOP RUBBING MY AGE IN MY FACE YOU HEARTLESS MOD!!!)

Khaos, you know I love you <3
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
PotBelliedGeek
Posts: 4,298
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 8:39:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/31/2014 8:36:22 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:33:55 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:29:37 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Also, I have no idea who I am, therefore I know I have no idea what the theme is.
Kapow!!

Google. it helps.

I british, and some pop.
I'm too old for this theme. (STOP RUBBING MY AGE IN MY FACE YOU HEARTLESS MOD!!!)
I'm Jessie J, whoever that is.

Hmm. That is not consistent with my role, and I am town. Unless we broaden the theme widely. Who do you win with?
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 8:43:50 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/31/2014 8:39:49 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:36:22 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:33:55 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:29:37 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Also, I have no idea who I am, therefore I know I have no idea what the theme is.
Kapow!!

Google. it helps.

I british, and some pop.
I'm too old for this theme. (STOP RUBBING MY AGE IN MY FACE YOU HEARTLESS MOD!!!)
I'm Jessie J, whoever that is.

Hmm. That is not consistent with my role, and I am town. Unless we broaden the theme widely. Who do you win with?

Kapow!!! (hehehe)
I confirmed the wincon is IWWTT.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 8:44:13 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/31/2014 8:40:09 PM, XLAV wrote:
I'm going to focus at the other game so I'll character claim first.

Jane Austen

The author?
(and I don't blame you)
My work here is, finally, done.
PotBelliedGeek
Posts: 4,298
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 8:44:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
weird. I will say this now. I am not a person. I am a thing, more of a concept really. Xlav and Khaos, who do you win with?
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
PotBelliedGeek
Posts: 4,298
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 8:45:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/31/2014 8:43:50 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:39:49 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:36:22 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:33:55 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:29:37 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Also, I have no idea who I am, therefore I know I have no idea what the theme is.
Kapow!!

Google. it helps.

I british, and some pop.
I'm too old for this theme. (STOP RUBBING MY AGE IN MY FACE YOU HEARTLESS MOD!!!)
I'm Jessie J, whoever that is.

Hmm. That is not consistent with my role, and I am town. Unless we broaden the theme widely. Who do you win with?

Kapow!!! (hehehe)
I confirmed the wincon is IWWTT.

Using that exact language?
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
XLAV
Posts: 13,720
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 8:45:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/31/2014 8:44:34 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
weird. I will say this now. I am not a person. I am a thing, more of a concept really. Xlav and Khaos, who do you win with?

Town, duh.
PotBelliedGeek
Posts: 4,298
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 8:46:20 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/31/2014 8:45:38 PM, XLAV wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:44:34 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
weird. I will say this now. I am not a person. I am a thing, more of a concept really. Xlav and Khaos, who do you win with?

Town, duh.

It says town in your PM?
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 8:47:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/31/2014 8:45:22 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:43:50 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:39:49 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:36:22 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:33:55 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:29:37 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Also, I have no idea who I am, therefore I know I have no idea what the theme is.
Kapow!!

Google. it helps.

I british, and some pop.
I'm too old for this theme. (STOP RUBBING MY AGE IN MY FACE YOU HEARTLESS MOD!!!)
I'm Jessie J, whoever that is.

Hmm. That is not consistent with my role, and I am town. Unless we broaden the theme widely. Who do you win with?

Kapow!!! (hehehe)
I confirmed the wincon is IWWTT.

Using that exact language?

He said Kapow! (which means nothing)
I specifically asked if I was town. Yes.
I specifically asked if town wincon was IWWTT. Yes.
My work here is, finally, done.
PotBelliedGeek
Posts: 4,298
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 8:50:55 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/31/2014 8:47:29 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:45:22 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:43:50 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:39:49 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:36:22 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:33:55 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:29:37 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Also, I have no idea who I am, therefore I know I have no idea what the theme is.
Kapow!!

Google. it helps.

I british, and some pop.
I'm too old for this theme. (STOP RUBBING MY AGE IN MY FACE YOU HEARTLESS MOD!!!)
I'm Jessie J, whoever that is.

Hmm. That is not consistent with my role, and I am town. Unless we broaden the theme widely. Who do you win with?

Kapow!!! (hehehe)
I confirmed the wincon is IWWTT.

Using that exact language?

He said Kapow! (which means nothing)
I specifically asked if I was town. Yes.
I specifically asked if town wincon was IWWTT. Yes.

Ok. You are town.

I am guessing that the theme is something really broad, like "entertainment".
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
PotBelliedGeek
Posts: 4,298
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 8:54:31 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
BRB in a lil while. Gotta go get pizza. Anyone want some?
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 8:57:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/31/2014 8:54:31 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
BRB in a lil while. Gotta go get pizza. Anyone want some?

Yes!!!!
Cheese please, as I don't eat pork or veggies.

Why do you town read me so hard?
Will it last when I prove my scummy role?
My work here is, finally, done.
PotBelliedGeek
Posts: 4,298
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 9:35:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/31/2014 8:57:19 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:54:31 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:
BRB in a lil while. Gotta go get pizza. Anyone want some?

Yes!!!!
Cheese please, as I don't eat pork or veggies.

Why do you town read me so hard?
Will it last when I prove my scummy role?

because you outed the wincon with utter surety. I would have expected this theme to fave a unique wincon, and I knew that mafia would think the same. That is why I asked. If you had stalled, guessed, or otherwise tried to circumvent, you would be scum. But you passed.
Religion Forum Ambassador

HUFFLEPUFF FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 9:41:54 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Pots, I choose you!!!
It should mean nothing to me.
FOS on you.

But, since this is for beginners let's pressure Mikal.
My work here is, finally, done.
Cin
Posts: 252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 11:00:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/31/2014 8:37:51 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:36:22 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:33:55 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

I'm too old for this theme. (STOP RUBBING MY AGE IN MY FACE YOU HEARTLESS MOD!!!)

Khaos, you know I love you <3

no one loves you Khaos...
i kid i kid c;
Food is life, brah
http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 11:01:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/31/2014 11:00:34 PM, Cin wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:37:51 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:36:22 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:33:55 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

I'm too old for this theme. (STOP RUBBING MY AGE IN MY FACE YOU HEARTLESS MOD!!!)

Khaos, you know I love you <3

no one loves you Khaos...

Way to make him feel even more dejected!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 11:03:27 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/31/2014 11:00:34 PM, Cin wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:37:51 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:36:22 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:33:55 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

I'm too old for this theme. (STOP RUBBING MY AGE IN MY FACE YOU HEARTLESS MOD!!!)

Khaos, you know I love you <3

no one loves you Khaos...
i kid i kid c;

You were mafia 2 games in a row. 100% of the time you've played, you've been mafia. So FOS on Cin for being Cin.
Cin
Posts: 252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2014 11:03:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 5/31/2014 11:01:46 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 5/31/2014 11:00:34 PM, Cin wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:37:51 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:36:22 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 5/31/2014 8:33:55 PM, PotBelliedGeek wrote:

I'm too old for this theme. (STOP RUBBING MY AGE IN MY FACE YOU HEARTLESS MOD!!!)

Khaos, you know I love you <3

no one loves you Khaos...

Way to make him feel even more dejected!

he's totally mean to me!
@Khaos- keep feeling dejected!!
Food is life, brah
http://www.debate.org...