Total Posts:52|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Beginners' Mafia 25.3: ENDGAME

bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 4:51:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Mafia wins!!!

1st Place: MAFIA

Endark - You are SHARRON ANGLE. You and your gun-toting, braindead, teaparty politics nearly blocked Harry Reid's reelection *gasp*! Therefore, you are the 2-shot, day ROLEBLOCKER. Each night, you may select a player capable of placing a vote. If they have a role that activates during the day, they will be roleblocked.

Oro - You are MITT ROMNEY. Not just an idiot, but an elitist sleaze with no political scruples whatsoever. Because you're the trifecta of everything I don't want in a president (idiocy, elitism, dishonesty), you are the JOAT. You have the following 1-shot abilities: Strongman, Framer, PGO.

Niqash - You are FAHRENHEIT 451. One of the most poorly written books I've ever had the displeasure of perusing, you explore the emptiness of your life, examining the role you play in a bookless society, and what role books could and have played in the world overall. Therefore, you are the ROLE COP.

2nd Place: TOWN


Blade - You are RACHEL MADDOW. I love to see you skewer the twits that compose the GOP. Because you so artfully eviscerate them, you are the 2-shot VIGILANTE. Each night you may select a player for death. You win with the town.

Khaos - You are JESSIE J. You are an awesome vocalist, even if your "Do it Like a Dude" thing was a bit...less than stellar. Still, it shows that you are certainly willing to step outside of your normal gender-assigned role. Therefore, you are the ROLE STEALER. Ka-pow!

[Later: COP]

Khaos2/Lannan - You are SARA BAREILLES. Your music is always cheerful and perky--capable of making me smile and feel better no matter what my mood. Because of this, you are the 2-shot FAITH HEALER. Each night you may target a player. If that player is not targeted by another faith healer, they are protected from NKs during that night phase. You win with the town.

Cin - You are HILLARY CLINTON. You kick-a$$, and I am so voting for you when you run for President in 2016. Then, you'll be governing, you'll be calling the shots. Therefore, you are the 1-shot GOVERNOR. Once per game, during the DP, you may choose to stop the lynch (notify me at L-2) and end the DP early. You win with the town.

Pots - You are LAW AND ORDER. Because you find the bad-guys, you are the COP. Each night you may select a player. You will learn if they win with the town (innocent) or do not win with the town (guilty.) You win with the town.

Romanii - You are YODA. You somehow manage to make my laugh even after seeing you say those exact same lines a thousand times. Because you come back from death (albeit in non-corporeal form), you are the RESTLESS SPIRIT. After being killed, you can return each DP to place a vote on a player. You may not switch your vote more than once per DP once deceased. You win with the town.

Wylted - You are ARE YOU BEING SERVED? Your uniquely British sense of comedy is as hilarious as they come. Oft-slapstick, but with always random plotlines, you are a laugh a minute. Therefore, you are the 1-shot RANDOMIZER. Once per game, you may select a player and randomize their action(s). You win with the town.

XLAV - You are JANE AUSTEN. Your books, with their cheeky sense of humor and infectious happy endings always leave me feeling better. Therefore, you are the 2-shot FAITH HEALER. Each night you may target a player. If that player is not target by another faith healer, they are protected from NKs during that night phase. You win with the town.

NIGHT ACTIONS

NP1

XLAV - Fthl. Khaos
Blade - Vig. Endark
Wylted - Rdm. Lannan: Fthl. Endark
Khaos - Rlst. Pots
Pots - Cop XLAV
Oro - NK XLAV

NP2

Oro - Strgm. Pots

NP3

Blade - Vig. Wylted
Oro - PGO
Endark - NK Cin
Endark - Rlbk. Romanii

MOD NOTES

This theme had NOTHING to do with Britain. Making really flimsy, lame connection to Britain just to contort things to a particular analysis of the theme is not theme analysis, it's confirmation bias. Yoda, Law and Order, Hillary Clinton, Sara Bareilles, and Rachel Maddiw have zilch to do with Britain. The theme was incredibly simple: things I like that were on my profile. This pseudo-analysis on town's part far overcomplicated things and hurt the scumhunting discourse.

Also, Blade should have waived his action NP3. Town should've been less lynch-happy. Wylted should be less self-assured; being too confident leads to mistakes.

Good game!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Oromagi
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 5:15:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 4:56:57 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
*hi-fives Oro*

Back @ ya, scummate!

Although scum clearly benefited from town absence & confusion we also lost our role cop right off the bat. Also it was apparently shear randomized luck that prevented losing two scum on the first day.

MVP to Endark for exploiting the Brit angle with foresight and subtlety. I constantly expected that fog to clear.
Oromagi
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 5:19:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Oh, and Khaos? You can call me a dick if you want, I;m not really that uptight. Rather, I was trying to get your twice-hanged corpse to stop your twilight inquisition. Jeez, how many times do we have to kill you to make you shut up? We half-expected you to show up as cin in Round 4.
bladerunner060
Posts: 7,126
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 7:19:47 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Dang it, I even said as I vig'd Wylted that I hoped it wasn't an Oro/ER scumteam....But Wylted was the obvious target.

Wylted, do you see how confidence without justified analysis hurts town? I told you in the DP that if you were wrong, you were going to die and it was going to be your own fault...
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 8:00:09 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 5:19:38 PM, Oromagi wrote:
Oh, and Khaos? You can call me a dick if you want, I;m not really that uptight. Rather, I was trying to get your twice-hanged corpse to stop your twilight inquisition. Jeez, how many times do we have to kill you to make you shut up? We half-expected you to show up as cin in Round 4.

D!ck. :) At least I was right about ER and kind of you.
I knew your BS was fake. (not the offense, but the "you brought it on yourself")
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 8:04:29 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 4:51:22 PM, bsh1 wrote:

NIGHT ACTIONS

NP1

XLAV - Fthl. Khaos
Awwww :)
Blade - Vig. Endark
Wylted - Rdm. Lannan: Fthl. Endark
Khaos - Rlst. Pots
Pots - Cop XLAV
Oro - NK XLAV
Why?

Oro - Strgm. Pots
CALLED THIS!!!!!!
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 8:05:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 8:00:09 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 6/6/2014 5:19:38 PM, Oromagi wrote:
Oh, and Khaos? You can call me a dick if you want, I;m not really that uptight. Rather, I was trying to get your twice-hanged corpse to stop your twilight inquisition. Jeez, how many times do we have to kill you to make you shut up? We half-expected you to show up as cin in Round 4.

D!ck. :) At least I was right about ER and kind of you.
I knew your BS was fake. (not the offense, but the "you brought it on yourself")

And the "complaining" BS, too.
My work here is, finally, done.
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 8:08:58 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
For the record...I thought the game itself was fairly well balanced.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 8:11:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
The reason I didn't protect Pots:
1. To see if there would be two NKs (I was thinking there'd be an SK, but mafia had a PGO, so I was right about an extra kill)
2. Because, if there wasn't an SK, mafia assuredly had a way to override protection, given two faith healers.

The reason I stole Pots' role:
1. I wasn't truly feeling his townieness, and L&O could just as well be a lawyer role. Gutsy, but who knows.... It could have a been a few other things as well.
2. If he was scum, I snagged his role. Plus.
3. If he was town, he would have died, thus I saved the cop role. Plus.
4. The only thing I worried was me dying in the night and Pots being town.
5. WTF?!? Pots, how could I have been any clearer as cryptic as I could be?
i. My first post of the game was "I have a scummy role"
ii. I admitted to visiting you IN THE FIRST POST OF THE DP. Why, as mafia, would I do that? With faith healer dead, I could just have claimed faith healer, since you didn't die.
My work here is, finally, done.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 8:12:46 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 8:08:58 PM, bsh1 wrote:
For the record...I thought the game itself was fairly well balanced.

I think you are right.
Questions:
1. Did Wylted's role force Lannan to act? Did he ask?
2. Did my role stealer RB Pots? Did he ask?
My work here is, finally, done.
bsh1
Posts: 27,504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 8:15:21 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 8:12:46 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 6/6/2014 8:08:58 PM, bsh1 wrote:
For the record...I thought the game itself was fairly well balanced.

I think you are right.

Thank you :)

Questions:
1. Did Wylted's role force Lannan to act? Did he ask?

I decided that a RANDOMIZER would both (a) randomize whether Lannan used his action or not, and (b) randomize who he targeted. I randomly ascertained that Lannan would employ his action, and would target Endark.

Wylted never asked, which was why I was a bit perplexed as to his remarks in the DP re: that very issue.

2. Did my role stealer RB Pots? Did he ask?

No, it didn't. Pots did receive results NP1. No, since there was no need.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 8:19:19 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 8:15:21 PM, bsh1 wrote:

I decided that a RANDOMIZER would both (a) randomize whether Lannan used his action or not, and (b) randomize who he targeted. I randomly ascertained that Lannan would employ his action, and would target Endark.

Wylted never asked, which was why I was a bit perplexed as to his remarks in the DP re: that very issue.

Wylted!!!!
Why did you not ask? You were told to ask.
My work here is, finally, done.
Oromagi
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 9:00:16 PM
Posted: 2 years ago

And the "complaining" BS, too.

Actually, we should say that Endark & I did not intend to hammer like that. We had agreed that we should lynch the healer before trying the vig, so when you came on to defend we were just trying to distract you from convincing Romanii to unlynch. We hadn't coordinated the lynch yet, and would not have hammered like that deliberately.

Both of us just had simultaneously tried provoke you with a VTL and unfortunately stepped on each other toes. We were certain we gave ourselves away for awhile, but we hoped Blade's read on Wylted was genuine enough to save us. So we lucked out twice, really.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 9:02:14 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 9:00:16 PM, Oromagi wrote:

And the "complaining" BS, too.

Actually, we should say that Endark & I did not intend to hammer like that. We had agreed that we should lynch the healer before trying the vig, so when you came on to defend we were just trying to distract you from convincing Romanii to unlynch. We hadn't coordinated the lynch yet, and would not have hammered like that deliberately.

Both of us just had simultaneously tried provoke you with a VTL and unfortunately stepped on each other toes. We were certain we gave ourselves away for awhile, but we hoped Blade's read on Wylted was genuine enough to save us. So we lucked out twice, really.

That you did. ;)
But, the double hammer looked good. I'll give you that.
My work here is, finally, done.
Oromagi
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 9:09:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Oro - NK XLAV
Why?

We read cop/rc as soon as pots said, "showname:uk" but we assumed others had, too and we had so little role info in the first round. Since pots was attracting a lot of scum spin and was likeliest to be watched in DP1 we thought we better stay clear. Of the quieter players XLAV had more experience and Jane Austen sounded like a possible info role, so we went there.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 9:26:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 9:09:23 PM, Oromagi wrote:
Oro - NK XLAV
Why?

We read cop/rc as soon as pots said, "showname:uk" but we assumed others had, too and we had so little role info in the first round. Since pots was attracting a lot of scum spin and was likeliest to be watched in DP1 we thought we better stay clear. Of the quieter players XLAV had more experience and Jane Austen sounded like a possible info role, so we went there.

Fair enough.
But, the way he defended Niqash was silly. Fine, he didn't believe the British theme, (didn't I say DP1 that Er and someone else was suspicious for saying "something British?), but we were all listed on the profile.
There was no reason to not lynch him.

Kudos to ER for figuring out the theme.
And, while British wasn't the theme, there was still a connection...
My work here is, finally, done.
XLAV
Posts: 13,715
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 9:37:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Lol, I can't believe you guys didn't notice Endark was scum from DP 1.

The theme was obviously not british stuff and Endark soft claimed "God saved the queen" after three or four guys claimed something british.

"God save the queen" = Ellie Goulding?????

Blade and Oro were in my scum pile, since Blade didn't use his vig and Oro was inactive, I scum read Blade more.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 9:45:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 9:37:32 PM, XLAV wrote:
Lol, I can't believe you guys didn't notice Endark was scum from DP 1.

The theme was obviously not british stuff and Endark soft claimed "God saved the queen" after three or four guys claimed something british.

The theme wasn't obvious, and I kept obfuscating that nicely. Especially since the deaths only seemed to prove it.

"God save the queen" = Ellie Goulding?????

I said someone British. That was the only tie-in.

Blade and Oro were in my scum pile, since Blade didn't use his vig and Oro was inactive, I scum read Blade more.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 9:45:56 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 9:37:32 PM, XLAV wrote:
Lol, I can't believe you guys didn't notice Endark was scum from DP 1.

The theme was obviously not british stuff and Endark soft claimed "God saved the queen" after three or four guys claimed something british.

"God save the queen" = Ellie Goulding?????
God save the queen is the British national anthem, IIRC.
Also, I thought he renegged that claim, saying he was british soft claiming.

It was too long ago to revisit, since I was basically lynched DP2 and DP3 before I could really post anything substantial.

Blade and Oro were in my scum pile, since Blade didn't use his vig and Oro was inactive, I scum read Blade more.
It's thoughts like this that hinder town.
Inactivity is not a scum tell. It never has been.
Lurking is.
My work here is, finally, done.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 9:46:15 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 8:04:29 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 6/6/2014 4:51:22 PM, bsh1 wrote:

NIGHT ACTIONS

NP1

XLAV - Fthl. Khaos
Awwww :)
Blade - Vig. Endark
Wylted - Rdm. Lannan: Fthl. Endark
Khaos - Rlst. Pots
Pots - Cop XLAV
Oro - NK XLAV
Why?

Oro - Strgm. Pots
CALLED THIS!!!!!!


Well, you didn't protect him anyway, so I guess it was a waste.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 9:47:32 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 9:46:15 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Well, you didn't protect him anyway, so I guess it was a waste.
Precisely why I didn't. :)
No way mafia, without TP, would have no way to overcome protection.
And, they would likely use it on the cop.
My work here is, finally, done.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 9:47:39 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 8:19:19 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 6/6/2014 8:15:21 PM, bsh1 wrote:

I decided that a RANDOMIZER would both (a) randomize whether Lannan used his action or not, and (b) randomize who he targeted. I randomly ascertained that Lannan would employ his action, and would target Endark.

Wylted never asked, which was why I was a bit perplexed as to his remarks in the DP re: that very issue.

Wylted!!!!
Why did you not ask? You were told to ask.

Thank The Lord for Wylted this game. :-)
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 9:48:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 9:47:32 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 6/6/2014 9:46:15 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Well, you didn't protect him anyway, so I guess it was a waste.
Precisely why I didn't. :)
No way mafia, without TP, would have no way to overcome protection.
And, they would likely use it on the cop.

Oro and I were discussing what would happen if you replaced in for Cin and how hilarious it would be if we got you mislynched a 3rd time.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 9:49:28 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 5:15:11 PM, Oromagi wrote:
At 6/6/2014 4:56:57 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
*hi-fives Oro*

Back @ ya, scummate!

Although scum clearly benefited from town absence & confusion we also lost our role cop right off the bat. Also it was apparently shear randomized luck that prevented losing two scum on the first day.

MVP to Endark for exploiting the Brit angle with foresight and subtlety. I constantly expected that fog to clear.

Thank you. I tried, I tried.
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 9:52:34 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 9:48:49 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 6/6/2014 9:47:32 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 6/6/2014 9:46:15 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Well, you didn't protect him anyway, so I guess it was a waste.
Precisely why I didn't. :)
No way mafia, without TP, would have no way to overcome protection.
And, they would likely use it on the cop.

Oro and I were discussing what would happen if you replaced in for Cin and how hilarious it would be if we got you mislynched a 3rd time.

Thanks Cin, too, for letting me die....twice.
Much appreciated.

I figured the game was over, since I thought mafia had a way to force Blade to shoot.
But, yeah, it would have been funny.
Third time's a charm, right?
My work here is, finally, done.
EndarkenedRationalist
Posts: 14,201
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 9:54:41 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 6/6/2014 9:52:34 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 6/6/2014 9:48:49 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:
At 6/6/2014 9:47:32 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 6/6/2014 9:46:15 PM, EndarkenedRationalist wrote:

Well, you didn't protect him anyway, so I guess it was a waste.
Precisely why I didn't. :)
No way mafia, without TP, would have no way to overcome protection.
And, they would likely use it on the cop.

Oro and I were discussing what would happen if you replaced in for Cin and how hilarious it would be if we got you mislynched a 3rd time.

Thanks Cin, too, for letting me die....twice.
Much appreciated.

I figured the game was over, since I thought mafia had a way to force Blade to shoot.
But, yeah, it would have been funny.

Well, for us. But that was why we hadn't meant to hammer you like that. It looked really bad. I thought Blade would come after me for sure.

Third time's a charm, right?

I actually thought it would have been just about impossible.
Oromagi
Posts: 857
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2014 10:05:07 PM
Posted: 2 years ago

Thanks Cin, too, for letting me die....twice.

It's a good point. I'd never seen Governor or Restless Spirit before, but together they had the potential for powerful influence towards keeping town afloat.

What's the general tactic when getting a Spirit role? Come out from the start? Seems like your death only improves town chances so you should be safe.