Beginners' Mafia 26.1

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:11:43 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Introduction to Mafia:

Mafia is a game of strategy and behavioral analysis that pits an uninformed majority (The Town) against an informed minority (The Mafia). All members of the Mafia know who they are and - by process of elimination - know who the members of the Town are. The mafia have their own shared PM where they can coordinate and discuss strategies. No member of the Town is given information about any other player; they must figure that out through the course of the game.

The game is divided into Day Phases (DP) and Night Phases (NP). Each DP will be conducted in a public thread created by me (such as this one). I will start each DP with a summary of actions performed the previous NP, a list of living and dead players, and other rules and notes. The DP is used by all players for open deliberation and is the only normal mechanism by which members of the Town can communicate with each other. It is the primary vehicle by which the members of the Town can eliminate their opposition: The Mafia. However, the Mafia are covertly part of this deliberation, and will try to disrupt or derail the plans of the Town, though in a way as not to reveal their affiliation.

During the DP, each player may cast a vote to lynch another player. The format is VTL Player Name. Unbolded votes do not count. To remove your vote from a player, simply Unvote. Alternatively, you may vote that no player be lynched that day with a vote to no lynch, or VTNL. If a majority of the living players vote to have another player lynched, or vote that no one should be lynched, the DP will end with the death of that player (if applicable) and the NP will begin.

The NP is where players can utilize the abilities of any role they have been given. These will be detailed in PMs I create for each player. In addition, the members of the Mafia can elect to kill another player during the Night. The NP ends when all players have submitted their actions.

The object of the game for each faction (Town, Mafia) is to eliminate the other faction. As a short-cut, when the Mafia make up 50% or more of the living players, the game will end automatically, since they will be able to control the vote during the DP and can no longer be eliminated (under most circumstances). However, there is no such short-cut for the Town, and they must eliminate each member of the Mafia.

Terms, acronyms, and abbreviations:

Alignment - your status as Town, Mafia, or 3rd Party (anything not Town or Mafia).
Bandwagon - A "wagon" consists of the individuals voting for a person. Bandwagoning usually refers to hopping on such a wagon blindly or without clearly articulating your reasons.
BP - Bulletproof, a person immune to night kills.
Buddying - A tactic by mafia where they agree with or support towns people in an attempt to look innocent in return.
Bussing - When the mafia allow, or help, get one of their own members lynched, in order to look innocent in return, or to avoid suspicion.
Claim - Either Character Claim or Role Claim. This is a request to reveal this part of your Role.
Counter Claim - In most cases, roles are unique per game. A counter-claim is when one person challenges another person's role-claim by claiming the same role.
Fake Claim - Since your character or role can be indicative of your alignment, mafioso's usually invent fake claims to avoid suspicion. Can also be done by Towns-persons trying to perform some sort of gambit.
FOS - Finger of suspicion. Indicates that you suspect someone of being mafia, but usually not enough to place a vote on them.
Hammer - Placing the last vote on someone to get them lynched.
JK - Jailkeeper, a combination of doctor and roleblocker.
LYLO - Lynch or Lose, a situation where the towns-people only outnumber the mafia by 1. Since the mafia gets a kill at night and this would tie them with the town and earn them a win, it is necessary for the town to lynch a mafia in this situation or they lose.
Mod-kill - You break my rules - I kill you. I will also retroactively convert you into a survivor such that you can't even claim a win with your original faction.
MYLO - Mislynch and Lose, a situation where the towns-people outnumber the mafia by 2. A mislynch gives the mafia a free kill which, when combined with the mafia night kill, allows the mafia to win. Barring irrefutable results, MYLO generally results in no lynch, which merely leads to LYLO.
NK - night kill, any kill performed at night, though usually refers to the mafia night kill.
PM - Private message. Players are only permitted to create or talk in Private Messages set up by the mod.
PR - Power Role, a role with some ability, either passive or active. Towns people without a power role are referred to as "Vanillas" while mafiosos without a power role are referred to as "Goons"
RVS - Random Voting Stage. When there is no information to go on, but you need to get the game moving, generally you'll pressure someone randomly.
Scum - Anyone that is not aligned with the town.
Scum-tell - some trait, or "tell" that indicates a person may be scum.
Soft-claim - dropping hints, but not out-right claiming, to be a specific character or role.
SK - Serial Killer, a third party, night killing role.
WIFOM - Wine In Front Of Me. A subtle and complex type of psychology. You know I want to poison you. I serve us both glasses of wine. You think the poison is in the glass in front of you, but you know I know that's what you'd think, and so you realize the poison is actually in my glass, and I'm just waiting for your to drink from it instead.

Rules:

1. The only PMs you are allowed to use to talk about this game with other players are the PMs that I have specifically created for that purpose.
2. DPs will last until a majority vote has been reached or 48 hours has passed, whichever comes first. If the time-limit is reached, there will be no lynch.
3. NPs will last until everyone submits their night action or 24 hours has passed, whichever comes first. If the time-limit is reached, your action is forfeit.
4. Any DP or NP extensions will by announced by me in the DP thread; you may request extensions, but it is at my personal discretion whether to grant such requests
5. Be active (submit any Night actions in a timely matter and participate in DP discussions). I will replace people at my discretion in response to low or no activity. I will prompt you once, and only once. If your activity remains low after that, you will be mod-killed.
6. You may not cut-and-paste from any game PM into the DP thread. You must always paraphrase. Simply replacing the occasional word with a synonym is not acceptable.
7. Excessive trolling will not be tolerated. One warning will be given per game. After that, I may mod-kill you
8. Swearing and poor conduct will not be tolerated. Two warnings will be given per series to any player who crosses the line. After that, a player will be mod-killed.
9. Contacting advisors in PMs not created by me will earn you an automatic ban from the series.
10. All game related questions should be directed to me, via PM. You don't have to create a new PM, you may use your Role PM or mafia PM. If game related question are posted in the forum thread, please bold them.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:14:10 PM
Round 1:

This Round will introduce you to the concept and basics of Mafia, including Role Madness!

Set-Up:

The roles found in this game are from the following list and only from the following list:

Town Roles

Cop - Investigates Players' alignments
Dreamer - Learns players' alignments passively
Priest - Learns roles of players that visit him
Role Cop - Learns players' roles
Tracker - Learns who players visit
Watcher - Learns who visits a player
Oracle - Reveals a player's role upon death
Bodyguard - Redirects lethal actions to self
Bulletproof - Immune to night kills
Doctor - Prevents the deaths of players
Virgin - If lynched, prevents all deaths the following Night Phase
Bomb - If killed at night, kills his killer
Hunter - If lynched, may kill another player
Paranoid Gun Owner - Kills anyone that visits him at night
Super Saint - If lynched, kills whoever placed the last vote
Vigilante - May kill another player at night
Universal Backup - Assumes the role of the first Town player to die
Mimic - May copy another player's role
Roleblocker - May prevent another player from using their role
Innocent Child - Mod confirmed as a Townie during a certain Day phase
Vanilla - Has no role
Pacifist - Cannot place votes on people at L-1
Aesthetic - Isn't affected by nonlethal actions
Sidekick - Can redirect nonlethal actions from one player to themselves

Mafia Roles

Role Cop - Learns players' roles
Suicide Bomber - May kill another player during the day, dying in the process
Mimic - May copy another player's role
Scout - Learns who players visit
Lookout - Learns who visits a player
Redirector - May redirect actions from one player to another
Role Stealer - May steal another player role. The new role is permanent.

Additionally, there is a maximum of only one of each role. However, if a role shows up in both the town and mafia lists (e.g. mimic) there can be both a town mimic and a mafia mimic in the game, though not 2 town mimics or 2 mafia mimics. Also, no townie can have a mafia role, and vice versa.

Roles have been generated randomly, and have been randomly assigned.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:20:00 PM
LIVING PLAYERS

Number
Esocial
Angel
SJ
KC
Wylted
Raymond
Chosen
Blade
Bossy

OTHER

Khaos is town advisor. He may post in this and other DP thread, but may not vote or be voted on because he is not playing.

With 10 players alive, it takes 6 votes to lynch.
The DP ends at 3:00pm, DDO time, on 6/12/14.

Good luck!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

numberwang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:29:53 PM
At 6/10/2014 3:24:53 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
I'll come out with a soft claim on my ability. I'm the cop (+)_(+)

That actually isn't even a soft claim, that is just a claim. Have you ever played mafia before? Cop isn't supposed to reveal on the first day for no reason, you're supposed to reveal when you find a scum or if town is revealing. >.> Now you're a prime scum target.
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:31:50 PM
At 6/10/2014 3:29:53 PM, numberwang wrote:

That actually isn't even a soft claim, that is just a claim. Have you ever played mafia before? Cop isn't supposed to reveal on the first day for no reason, you're supposed to reveal when you find a scum or if town is revealing. >.> Now you're a prime scum target.

I'm full out honest. Let the scum come, but I'll play the integrity game for now. At least for this game.

Your right about the claim though.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:33:09 PM

I just realised you were playing. To make this a clean fair game, no insults are required. Agreed? Or bsh1 might lynch us himself.

Secondly, I'm a hunter.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:33:41 PM
At 6/10/2014 3:33:09 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

I just realised you were playing. To make this a clean fair game, no insults are required. Agreed? Or bsh1 might lynch us himself.

Secondly, I'm a hunter.

I had never insulted you. but sure.....
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
AngelofDeath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:35:20 PM

Secondly, I'm a hunter.

Hunter, hmmm?
I may or may not be a cat
numberwang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:37:14 PM
At 6/10/2014 3:31:50 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 6/10/2014 3:29:53 PM, numberwang wrote:

I'm full out honest. Let the scum come, but I'll play the integrity game for now. At least for this game.

Your right about the claim though.

You can be honest without tactlessly telling the baddies things they may want to know, it's not like anyone asked if you were cop.

And we can't really say you're cop until we see everyone online and see if anyone counter claims you or not, just saying.

Why don't you reveal your real role: jifpop09? Lol.
numberwang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:37:36 PM
At 6/10/2014 3:35:20 PM, AngelofDeath wrote:

Secondly, I'm a hunter.

Hunter, hmmm?

What exactly is a hunter?
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:38:45 PM
Look, I think, since me and esocial already have, that everybody should state their full role. If not, then your leaving two people out in the open.

Town should install pressure on anyone who doesn't full claim. Hunter's a mafia role, right? If so, I'm VTL'ing Esocial, at least until someone says otherwise. I'll probably remove it later.

Its all speculation now, anyways

VTL Esocial
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:39:21 PM

Why would you claim cop? It's literally pointless and only makes you a mafia target. You're basically confirmed as town (because un-cc'd cop claimers dp1 can either be really ballsy mafia (extremely so), or townies who don't understand the game, and the second is more likely in a beginners series.
#UnbanTheMadman

"Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight
Somewhere out of a memory of lighted streets on quiet nights..."

~ Rush
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:39:40 PM
At 6/10/2014 3:37:36 PM, numberwang wrote:

Secondly, I'm a hunter.

Hunter, hmmm?

Read from the first three posts...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

numberwang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:39:41 PM
By the way, for all of the new folks coming who have no experience, you don't have to reveal your roles right now, especially if you have a good town power that you don't want the scum to know about. I'd really recommend not revealing anything at this point, it really can't help us as a town yet.
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:39:47 PM

Secondly, I'm a hunter.

Hunter, hmmm?

Exactly. Hunter might mean stalker, but were in a beginner game. We should all have beginner roles. I would advise you to VTL Esocial, until she at least admits she lied.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:40:47 PM
At 6/10/2014 3:39:21 PM, bossyburrito wrote:

Why would you claim cop? It's literally pointless and only makes you a mafia target. You're basically confirmed as town (because un-cc'd cop claimers dp1 can either be really ballsy mafia (extremely so), or townies who don't understand the game, and the second is more likely in a beginners series.

I'm confident in my decision. I want to embrace a strategy of full role claiming this round. Clear the air, is in our best interests.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:40:58 PM
At 6/10/2014 3:38:45 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:

Please read the first three points to understand what roles have what affiliation, and how that works.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:41:57 PM
Look, I think, since me and esocial already have, that everybody should state their full role. If not, then your leaving two people out in the open.

Town should install pressure on anyone who doesn't full claim. Hunter's a mafia role, right? If so, I'm VTL'ing Esocial, at least until someone says otherwise. I'll probably remove it later.

VTL Esocial

No, mass role claims DP1 are, in 90% of scenarios, anti-town. You two are hanging because you decided to claim without reason, and having more people claim arbitrarily makes no sense. You're only going to give the mafia more information.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
numberwang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:42:04 PM

VTL Esocial

That is a bad idea. You are just giving mafia targets to lynch and you have no way to tell who is really claiming and who isn't. No one made you tell that you had cop, that was a bad idea and you shouldn't have done it, but that doesn't mean that everyone should reveal their roles right now.
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:42:10 PM
At 6/10/2014 3:40:58 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Please read the first three points to understand what roles have what affiliation, and how that works.

Are you implying roles have nothing to do with team affiliation? I'm a beginner, but I would think they do.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:43:15 PM
At 6/10/2014 3:42:10 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
At 6/10/2014 3:40:58 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Are you implying roles have nothing to do with team affiliation? I'm a beginner, but I would think they do.

No. Just the opposite. I am saying that, in this game, I explicitly state which roles our town, which are mafia, and which could be both.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:43:39 PM
At 6/10/2014 3:42:04 PM, numberwang wrote:

VTL Esocial

That is a bad idea. You are just giving mafia targets to lynch and you have no way to tell who is really claiming and who isn't. No one made you tell that you had cop, that was a bad idea and you shouldn't have done it, but that doesn't mean that everyone should reveal their roles right now.

I said I would repeal it later. It will stick to her now. I do think its in the *towns* (Which I don't think you are) best interests to make as many people as possible full claim.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
bossyburrito
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:44:24 PM
At 6/10/2014 3:40:47 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:

I'm confident in my decision. I want to embrace a strategy of full role claiming this round. Clear the air, is in our best interests.

Explain exactly why you think so.
#UnbanTheMadman

Or lose the race to rats

~ Rush
ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:46:04 PM
At 6/10/2014 3:44:24 PM, bossyburrito wrote:
At 6/10/2014 3:40:47 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:

Explain exactly why you think so.

I shouldn't of full claimed, granted, but two supposed town members already have. Its foolish to give them two easy lynch targets.

Pressure should be applied on some players, like wang, for full claims.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:46:27 PM

Secondly, I'm a hunter.

Hunter, hmmm?

yup.

I had never heard of it before so I was just like, "Ya know what? Screw it!" And claimed.

I knew Chosen would insta-lynch me. I should've placed a bet on it.
I'm always scummy to him.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:47:02 PM
At 6/10/2014 3:44:34 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:
Oh, hunter is a role. Yeah,

Un VTL Esocial

You can just say "Unvote Esocial" but bold it. "Un VTL" isn't the usual phrase, but I'll count it for now.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ChosenWolff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:48:26 PM
At 6/10/2014 3:46:27 PM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

Secondly, I'm a hunter.

Hunter, hmmm?

yup.

I had never heard of it before so I was just like, "Ya know what? Screw it!" And claimed.

I knew Chosen would insta-lynch me. I should've placed a bet on it.
I'm always scummy to him.

Alright, well, alls forgiven on both sides. Hunter sounded like stalker, which is a mafia role. If you really are town, I encourage you to pressure another member with me.
How about NO elections?

#onlyonedeb8
numberwang
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/10/2014 3:48:36 PM
At 6/10/2014 3:39:47 PM, ChosenWolff wrote:

Secondly, I'm a hunter.

Hunter, hmmm?

Exactly. Hunter might mean stalker, but were in a beginner game. We should all have beginner roles. I would advise you to VTL Esocial, until she at least admits she lied.

Why do you think she is lying exactly? And why should we trust you instead of her?

How experienced are you exactly? I don't know what to make of your play.