Jump to topic:

Been a DDO member for a year and I still

GOP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 12:13:44 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I have been a member here for a year and I still don't know how Mafia works. Believe me, I tried to understand how it works, but I don't get it at all. How does this even work?
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 12:18:47 PM
At 6/17/2014 12:13:44 PM, GOP wrote:
I have been a member here for a year and I still don't know how Mafia works. Believe me, I tried to understand how it works, but I don't get it at all. How does this even work?

The game, at its core, is a game of psychology.
It pits an informed minority against an uninformed majority.
By eliminating players, the minority tries to obtain the majority, while the majority tries to eliminate the minority completely.

This is done in two ways:
1. Every night, the mafia (informed minority) can eliminate a player of their choice.
2. Every day, all players discuss and talk and try to reach a majority decision on whom to eliminate.

There are roles which make the game more exciting and add a bit of spice to the game, but the above is the heart of the game.
Analyze players' actions, words, and motives to figure out who knows too much.
My work here is, finally, done.
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 1:22:23 PM

While Khaos's description is quite fine, allow me to expand a bit on the particular mechanics.

There are 2 teams. One team is "Town". The other team is "scum", or "mafia".

There are 2 phases. Day Phase, or DP, and Night Phase, or NP.

The Day Phase is a forum thread. The Night Phase takes place in PMs with the moderator.

There are more "Town" players than "Scum" players. Every NP, the "scum" is going to kill a townsperson. The scum all know who each other are, so they know by exclusion who the townspeople are (it's the people not in a PM with them).

Town only gets to use the game thread of the DP to talk. Scum gets to use the game thread and a PM to talk to each other, so they can come up with schemes in the PM and seem innocent in the main thread, where they pretend to be like everyone else.

Town knows that one of them will die each NP. They want to stop that, so they want to kill the mafia. In order to do that, each day the town as a whole (which includes the scum) vote to "lynch" someone. They can also vote not to lynch, but then they definitely don't lynch a scum player. They also definitely don't lynch a town player, either.

The town is trying to lynch scum, the scum is trying to not get lynched (and lynch a townie if possible).

So the main thread of a mafia game will be the DP. It will be people talking, trying to figure out who the scum is. They do this through behavioral analysis (is the player acting like a townsperson) and also through analysis from the various "roles".

For example, the "Doctor" can pick someone in the NP and choose to protect them. They do this through their PM with the moderator. If the mafia try to kill the person the Doctor has "Docced", then that Night Kill (NK) will fail, and the mafia will not kill a townie, because they only get to pick one target per NP, and they don't know who has been "docced" in advance.

The "Cop" can pick someone in the NP and choose to investigate them. They do this through their PM with the moderator. They will get a result of "Guilty" or "Not "Guilty", i.e. "Scum" or "Not Scum".

But someone can lie about their role. A mafia can claim to be the doctor--and not REALLY be the doctor. Each town player is only given their OWN role PM, they don't know the other players roles except by those other players telling them.

Of course, the mafia can have roles, too. The "Godfather" will always investigate innocent if checked by a cop. The "Redirector" can change the target of someone's action--thus, if the scum know who the doctor is, they can redirect his action to someone else, and kill the person that the Doctor had docced. They can also redirect, say, the results of an investigation (making an innocent person seem guilty by redirecting the investigation to an guilty person, and so on).

At the beginning of each DP (except the first, since there was no NP before it), people get the results of their actions via moderator PM. Any players who died are announced to have died in the beginning of the DP thread. They can't participate any more, but they still win with their faction.

Again: Town wants to kill scum. Scum wants to kill town.

The game ends when a 50:50 split of town and scum is reached. Because scum won't lynch themselves at that point, and that night they'll get to kill 1 player.

A simple game might be:

6 players total. 4 town, 2 scum. This is an example, and for balance reasons might not be the best, but for description will help.

We'll say in the first Day Phase, the town lynches someone.

If they're innocent (and therefore the town lynched incorrectly), then the town goes into the night phase with 3 total town, and 2 total scum. If the scum get their night kill successfully, then the next day will start with 2 town, 2 scum. The game is over: Mafia won't lynch themselves, town can't lynch mafia without mafia's help, so the day phase can't have a lynch in it. That night, the mafia will kill someone, leaving 2 scum to 1 town. At that point the mafia don't even have to NK any more, they can just lynch the rest of the town. That's why, once the game reaches even numbers of town and mafia, the game is over. (There are some LIMITED exceptions to this, but it would be too confusing to list them).

If they're guilty (and therefore the town lynched correctly), then the town goes into the NP with 4 total town, and 1 total scum. The scum gets their night kill successfully, and DP2 starts with 3 total town, and 1 total scum. The If the town lynches incorrectly at that point, they will lose (since, the mafia will kill someone that night, and then the next day there will be 1:1). If they lynch correctly, they win! (there will be no more scum).

Does all that make sense?
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
bladerunner060
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 1:30:49 PM
Also, my VP bsh1 runs the beginner series to introduce people to mafia. You can always put yourself in as a replacement, or join the next round (we're in the first NP of the second game, and there's 3 games total in each beginner's series).
Assistant moderator to airmax1227. PM me with any questions or concerns!
GOP
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 6:55:18 PM
At 6/17/2014 1:22:23 PM, bladerunner060 wrote:

While Khaos's description is quite fine, allow me to expand a bit on the particular mechanics.

There are 2 teams. One team is "Town". The other team is "scum", or "mafia".

There are 2 phases. Day Phase, or DP, and Night Phase, or NP.

The Day Phase is a forum thread. The Night Phase takes place in PMs with the moderator.

There are more "Town" players than "Scum" players. Every NP, the "scum" is going to kill a townsperson. The scum all know who each other are, so they know by exclusion who the townspeople are (it's the people not in a PM with them).

Town only gets to use the game thread of the DP to talk. Scum gets to use the game thread and a PM to talk to each other, so they can come up with schemes in the PM and seem innocent in the main thread, where they pretend to be like everyone else.

Town knows that one of them will die each NP. They want to stop that, so they want to kill the mafia. In order to do that, each day the town as a whole (which includes the scum) vote to "lynch" someone. They can also vote not to lynch, but then they definitely don't lynch a scum player. They also definitely don't lynch a town player, either.

The town is trying to lynch scum, the scum is trying to not get lynched (and lynch a townie if possible).

So the main thread of a mafia game will be the DP. It will be people talking, trying to figure out who the scum is. They do this through behavioral analysis (is the player acting like a townsperson) and also through analysis from the various "roles".

For example, the "Doctor" can pick someone in the NP and choose to protect them. They do this through their PM with the moderator. If the mafia try to kill the person the Doctor has "Docced", then that Night Kill (NK) will fail, and the mafia will not kill a townie, because they only get to pick one target per NP, and they don't know who has been "docced" in advance.

The "Cop" can pick someone in the NP and choose to investigate them. They do this through their PM with the moderator. They will get a result of "Guilty" or "Not "Guilty", i.e. "Scum" or "Not Scum".

But someone can lie about their role. A mafia can claim to be the doctor--and not REALLY be the doctor. Each town player is only given their OWN role PM, they don't know the other players roles except by those other players telling them.

Of course, the mafia can have roles, too. The "Godfather" will always investigate innocent if checked by a cop. The "Redirector" can change the target of someone's action--thus, if the scum know who the doctor is, they can redirect his action to someone else, and kill the person that the Doctor had docced. They can also redirect, say, the results of an investigation (making an innocent person seem guilty by redirecting the investigation to an guilty person, and so on).

At the beginning of each DP (except the first, since there was no NP before it), people get the results of their actions via moderator PM. Any players who died are announced to have died in the beginning of the DP thread. They can't participate any more, but they still win with their faction.

Again: Town wants to kill scum. Scum wants to kill town.

The game ends when a 50:50 split of town and scum is reached. Because scum won't lynch themselves at that point, and that night they'll get to kill 1 player.

A simple game might be:

6 players total. 4 town, 2 scum. This is an example, and for balance reasons might not be the best, but for description will help.

We'll say in the first Day Phase, the town lynches someone.

If they're innocent (and therefore the town lynched incorrectly), then the town goes into the night phase with 3 total town, and 2 total scum. If the scum get their night kill successfully, then the next day will start with 2 town, 2 scum. The game is over: Mafia won't lynch themselves, town can't lynch mafia without mafia's help, so the day phase can't have a lynch in it. That night, the mafia will kill someone, leaving 2 scum to 1 town. At that point the mafia don't even have to NK any more, they can just lynch the rest of the town. That's why, once the game reaches even numbers of town and mafia, the game is over. (There are some LIMITED exceptions to this, but it would be too confusing to list them).

If they're guilty (and therefore the town lynched correctly), then the town goes into the NP with 4 total town, and 1 total scum. The scum gets their night kill successfully, and DP2 starts with 3 total town, and 1 total scum. The If the town lynches incorrectly at that point, they will lose (since, the mafia will kill someone that night, and then the next day there will be 1:1). If they lynch correctly, they win! (there will be no more scum).

Does all that make sense?

Yes. I am beginning to get it.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2014 10:53:06 PM
Did you read my thread?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Smithereens
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2014 1:12:33 AM
It's admittedly hard to get good at, like any musical instrument. Understanding why people are doing what they are doing requires hefty amounts of deductive skill.
Music composition contest: http://www.debate.org...
Defro
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2014 10:00:27 AM

There is a group of bad guys and good guys, but no one knows who is a good guy and who is a bad guy (other than themselves). For the good guys to win, they must kill all the bad guys. For the bad guys to win, they must kill all the good guys.