Total Posts:1|Showing Posts:1-1
Official Insurgent Rules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/12/2014 2:19:07 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Insurgents functions a lot like mafia, but with story telling and roleplaying taking a slightly more intuitive role. Here are the rules I devised for playing and hosting this game.
- The game starts with a variable amount of players. Games may be large or small, but preference on 12 players for your average game. The 12 players will start out with a personal PM, outlining their characters background, abilities, ect (like mafia, sharing will get you killed if done unwisely).. Your role will be used for examination and reference just like mafia. Roles are strongly encouraged to match the theme of the story.
- Players will all play in a forum. This is where scenarios take place, and where players can communicate and discuss things. You may PM another player about the game, but the mod MUST be in it
- There are 2 factions in the game. Insurgents, and Squad. Squad, will consist of the majority players. Insurgents will consist of the minority of players. Here are the recommended team divisions.
6/7: One Insurgent
8 /9: Two Insurgents
10/11: Three Insurgents
12/13: Four Insurgents, and so on
- Squads goal will be to make it through each scenario alive, within a given time period set by the mods. Scenarios are recommended to test teamwork and trust. Squad's goal is to make it to the end of the game alive, meaning they are not required to help their teammates to finish the game, although they will find it much harder. They lose if insurgents accomplish their goal.
- The Insurgent team, will have one goal throughout the course of the game. This will be set by the mod. It can be anything from "kill the leader", or "find the treasure", ect.. Only one member of squad will know the insurgents goal. This player is known as the informant. The rest of the players will be required to decipher the goal as the story progresses. There will be a hint at the end of each scenario that helps squad identify the insurgents goal. Insurgents will have a PM, so they know who each other is.
- Much like the VTL in Mafia, there will be the option of setting a bomb on a player. Since eliminating players isn't required to win the game, but helpful, there will also be the option to defuse the bomb. Defusing a bomb on a player requires half of the members to vote to blow it, of the required amount to set it off. For example, if the mod sets bombs to take 6 votes to kill a player, it would take 3 votes to defuse it. If a player is able to defuse the bomb set on him, he may not have the direct next bomb attempt on him. Any player may call for a bombing. This action is known as jihad.
- If the bomb explodes on a player, the game is automatically advanced to the SP
- Insurgent differentiates itself by the institution of actions. These are what make the game interesting. A player may submit an action through their role PM, such as "use y on player x" at any time during the game.
- Games will have actions calculated by a simple 4 equation calculation. If the equation hits positive the majority of times, it succeeds, if it hits negative AMT, it fails. Flipping a coin 4 times for example.
- If an action fails, the player and action they tried to commit will be publicly announced to all the participants in the game. Which means you should be cautious in trying to do things in the game. This doesn't include practical actions.
- Actions should be announced with the following format....
[Optional use for storytelling an event]
[Action instigator here] [Redacted if user succeeds, unless action is non-covert]
[If you're playing orthodox, explain your calculation here]
[Clarify the result of the action]
III. Mandatory Roles
There are a couple of roles that at least one player must have for the game to work.
Informant: Squad member who knows the goal of the insurgents.
Officer: Squad leader, possesses the ability to force one action per scenario (besides blowing a bomb). The officer may force another townie to commit an action as well.
The Supreme: Insurgent leader. May trigger a event each scenario phase. The mod will decide the event. May force a bombing once a game.
The rest of the roles may be created to the mods choosing.
IV. Tips and commentary
* Mods, create a fun and evolving story. It's wise to plan it out before creating the game. That includes forming the roles, story, setting, and events beforehand. It requires work, but it only works if your approach is solid.
* Players, there are three things to remember for this game. Use teamwork. Scenario's should be designed to require effort from all players. Insurgents are trying to progress as well. Second thing, is survival. Everyone is in it for themselves. This game can end with only one player left standing. If backstabbing your teammates gets you to the end, then do it. Third, is to trust no one. There is no way to confirm anyone in this game without actions.
* Be aware. Insurgents best course of option is to divide squad, and progress among themselves. Fortunately, this is also their greatest weakness. Each role and character is useful, even to the insurgents.
* Claim with caution. Early claiming can cause you to slip, and can screw over your whole team.
* Mods, make insurgent goals realistic. Not zany and out of reach. Two straightforward goals are better than one hard and confusing goal.
I also made a cheesy video of the rules with some free editor, so that should sum it up.
How about NO elections?