Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Should we do away with announcement PM's?

TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 3:21:28 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Think about it: In the history of mafia, there has been quite a few mafia slips in the PM's, or Townies accidentally revealing Power Roles, etc. Because mod's generally carry a rule of "no talking" in the announcement PM, it's only real purpose is to inform people of information. But would it be so much harder to just go through and message each player individually of whatever announcement needs to be made? Just copy and paste it and go though each PM. I don't think it should take more than a few minutes, and I think it would ultimately save a game from being thrown.

I mean I understand that there will probably be an argument blaming the person making the mistake for not checking carefully. But many mods will put a lot of time and effort into designing and crafting a game just for it to be thrown by a simple mistake that even the greatest players have made.

Anyways, it's just a thought. I think going forward I will eradicate the announcements pm and resort to using individualized message for the small cost of 5 minutes. I recommend future mods do this as well, though it is of course up to you.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 3:31:09 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/30/2014 3:21:28 AM, TUF wrote:
Think about it: In the history of mafia, there has been quite a few mafia slips in the PM's, or Townies accidentally revealing Power Roles, etc. Because mod's generally carry a rule of "no talking" in the announcement PM, it's only real purpose is to inform people of information. But would it be so much harder to just go through and message each player individually of whatever announcement needs to be made? Just copy and paste it and go though each PM. I don't think it should take more than a few minutes, and I think it would ultimately save a game from being thrown.

I mean I understand that there will probably be an argument blaming the person making the mistake for not checking carefully. But many mods will put a lot of time and effort into designing and crafting a game just for it to be thrown by a simple mistake that even the greatest players have made.

Anyways, it's just a thought. I think going forward I will eradicate the announcements pm and resort to using individualized message for the small cost of 5 minutes. I recommend future mods do this as well, though it is of course up to you.

That's the method I used as a mod. I never used announcement threads for this reason (and because people break the rules and talk in them, which is cheating I'd rather not deal with if I don't have to). Messaging everyone individually takes like 1-2 min (just about as long as it takes to do the Danielle method of formatting the announcement thread so the letters DO NOT POST HERE appear huge and at the top).
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
trekie
Posts: 772
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 3:40:17 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
Well, as you say, it's ultimately up to the mod if he/she wants to make that extra effort. I had to individually c/p announcement stuff to replacements before so I don't think it's too inconvenient in the long run anyway.
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,448
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 4:26:24 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
TUF, i can certainly understand the issue you presented, and do agree that it does pose a problem for a variety of reasons. I definitely wouldnt have a problem with there being no announcements PM as a player in a game I was participating. Nor as a mod, would i really have an issue with it either. My future plans to contain parts of the themes story/narration within the Announcements PM, like in Concealment mafia, can easily be shifted to just including it within each players individual PM, or the OP of DP1.

Overall, i think doing away with an announcements PM is a splendid idea, and definitely one i would fully support as both a seasone player, and mod.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Zaradi
Posts: 14,124
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 4:32:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/30/2014 4:26:24 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
TUF, i can certainly understand the issue you presented, and do agree that it does pose a problem for a variety of reasons. I definitely wouldnt have a problem with there being no announcements PM as a player in a game I was participating. Nor as a mod, would i really have an issue with it either. My future plans to contain parts of the themes story/narration within the Announcements PM, like in Concealment mafia, can easily be shifted to just including it within each players individual PM, or the OP of DP1.

Overall, i think doing away with an announcements PM is a splendid idea, and definitely one i would fully support as both a seasone player, and mod.

Whoa, you're still here?????
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
SolonKR
Posts: 4,039
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 4:59:57 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I think I'm going to resort to this method for my next game as well.

It may be the mistakes of the players that cause the PM slip-ups, but doing away with the PM minimizes the risk of putting messages in the wrong PM. I believe I've seen it happen 3 times, now, and I've only been here for 8 months.
SO to Bailey, the love of my life <3
Buddamoose
Posts: 19,448
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 5:27:11 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/30/2014 4:32:02 PM, Zaradi wrote:

Whoa, you're still here?????

I have returned, yes
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 8:14:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/30/2014 3:21:28 AM, TUF wrote:
Think about it: In the history of mafia, there has been quite a few mafia slips in the PM's, or Townies accidentally revealing Power Roles, etc. Because mod's generally carry a rule of "no talking" in the announcement PM, it's only real purpose is to inform people of information. But would it be so much harder to just go through and message each player individually of whatever announcement needs to be made? Just copy and paste it and go though each PM. I don't think it should take more than a few minutes, and I think it would ultimately save a game from being thrown.

I mean I understand that there will probably be an argument blaming the person making the mistake for not checking carefully. But many mods will put a lot of time and effort into designing and crafting a game just for it to be thrown by a simple mistake that even the greatest players have made.

Anyways, it's just a thought. I think going forward I will eradicate the announcements pm and resort to using individualized message for the small cost of 5 minutes. I recommend future mods do this as well, though it is of course up to you.

I suppose we could.
It seems a lot of people don't even read them.
My work here is, finally, done.
YYW
Posts: 36,249
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 8:15:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/30/2014 3:21:28 AM, TUF wrote:
Think about it: In the history of mafia, there has been quite a few mafia slips in the PM's, or Townies accidentally revealing Power Roles, etc. Because mod's generally carry a rule of "no talking" in the announcement PM, it's only real purpose is to inform people of information. But would it be so much harder to just go through and message each player individually of whatever announcement needs to be made? Just copy and paste it and go though each PM. I don't think it should take more than a few minutes, and I think it would ultimately save a game from being thrown.

I mean I understand that there will probably be an argument blaming the person making the mistake for not checking carefully. But many mods will put a lot of time and effort into designing and crafting a game just for it to be thrown by a simple mistake that even the greatest players have made.

Anyways, it's just a thought. I think going forward I will eradicate the announcements pm and resort to using individualized message for the small cost of 5 minutes. I recommend future mods do this as well, though it is of course up to you.

No. Scum should just be careful to not post in the wrong PM, and everyone should respect the integrity of the announcement PM.
Tsar of DDO
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 8:18:49 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/30/2014 8:15:53 PM, YYW wrote:

No. Scum should just be careful to not post in the wrong PM, and everyone should respect the integrity of the announcement PM.

You are aware that 9space also posted there....a night action he actually doesn't even have.

Also, the funny thing is, I even told ford to post anything in an earlier NP because I was afraid I was going to post in it. I think the PM titles were a little to similar for my brain.
My work here is, finally, done.
YYW
Posts: 36,249
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 8:35:17 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/30/2014 8:18:49 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 7/30/2014 8:15:53 PM, YYW wrote:

No. Scum should just be careful to not post in the wrong PM, and everyone should respect the integrity of the announcement PM.

You are aware that 9space also posted there....a night action he actually doesn't even have.

Also, the funny thing is, I even told ford to post anything in an earlier NP because I was afraid I was going to post in it. I think the PM titles were a little to similar for my brain.

Yeah. It happens, but it's not like it mattered at that point...
Tsar of DDO
9spaceking
Posts: 4,213
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2014 9:03:02 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/30/2014 8:18:49 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 7/30/2014 8:15:53 PM, YYW wrote:

No. Scum should just be careful to not post in the wrong PM, and everyone should respect the integrity of the announcement PM.

You are aware that 9space also posted there....a night action he actually doesn't even have.
actually, I had that power...to track people

Also, the funny thing is, I even told ford to post anything in an earlier NP because I was afraid I was going to post in it. I think the PM titles were a little to similar for my brain.
Equestrian election
http://www.debate.org...

This House would impose democracy
http://www.debate.org...

Reign of Terror is unjustified
http://www.debate.org...

Raise min. wage to $10.10
http://www.debate.org...
Khaos_Mage
Posts: 23,214
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2014 12:32:38 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/30/2014 9:03:02 PM, 9spaceking wrote:
At 7/30/2014 8:18:49 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 7/30/2014 8:15:53 PM, YYW wrote:

No. Scum should just be careful to not post in the wrong PM, and everyone should respect the integrity of the announcement PM.

You are aware that 9space also posted there....a night action he actually doesn't even have.
actually, I had that power...to track people

So you did.....
I thought you were hider.
Dyslexia for the win!!!!
My work here is, finally, done.
bluesteel
Posts: 12,301
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 11:50:52 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/30/2014 8:15:53 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/30/2014 3:21:28 AM, TUF wrote:
Think about it: In the history of mafia, there has been quite a few mafia slips in the PM's, or Townies accidentally revealing Power Roles, etc. Because mod's generally carry a rule of "no talking" in the announcement PM, it's only real purpose is to inform people of information. But would it be so much harder to just go through and message each player individually of whatever announcement needs to be made? Just copy and paste it and go though each PM. I don't think it should take more than a few minutes, and I think it would ultimately save a game from being thrown.

I mean I understand that there will probably be an argument blaming the person making the mistake for not checking carefully. But many mods will put a lot of time and effort into designing and crafting a game just for it to be thrown by a simple mistake that even the greatest players have made.

Anyways, it's just a thought. I think going forward I will eradicate the announcements pm and resort to using individualized message for the small cost of 5 minutes. I recommend future mods do this as well, though it is of course up to you.

No. Scum should just be careful to not post in the wrong PM, and everyone should respect the integrity of the announcement PM.

As a mod who spent a lot of time setting up my games, I'd like to think everyone took them as seriously as I did. But this just wasn't true in practice. It wasn't worth someone screwing up hours of game set-up and previous play with one mistake. Which is why I used individual notification PM's.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
LogicalLunatic
Posts: 1,633
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 11:54:19 AM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 7/30/2014 4:32:02 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 7/30/2014 4:26:24 PM, Buddamoose wrote:
TUF, i can certainly understand the issue you presented, and do agree that it does pose a problem for a variety of reasons. I definitely wouldnt have a problem with there being no announcements PM as a player in a game I was participating. Nor as a mod, would i really have an issue with it either. My future plans to contain parts of the themes story/narration within the Announcements PM, like in Concealment mafia, can easily be shifted to just including it within each players individual PM, or the OP of DP1.

Overall, i think doing away with an announcements PM is a splendid idea, and definitely one i would fully support as both a seasone player, and mod.

Whoa, you're still here?????

That's what I was thinking when I saw this thread too.
A True Work of Art: http://www.debate.org...

Atheist Logic: http://www.debate.org...

Bulproof formally admits to being a troll (Post 16):
http://www.debate.org...
YYW
Posts: 36,249
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 2:58:01 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/2/2014 11:50:52 AM, bluesteel wrote:
At 7/30/2014 8:15:53 PM, YYW wrote:
At 7/30/2014 3:21:28 AM, TUF wrote:
Think about it: In the history of mafia, there has been quite a few mafia slips in the PM's, or Townies accidentally revealing Power Roles, etc. Because mod's generally carry a rule of "no talking" in the announcement PM, it's only real purpose is to inform people of information. But would it be so much harder to just go through and message each player individually of whatever announcement needs to be made? Just copy and paste it and go though each PM. I don't think it should take more than a few minutes, and I think it would ultimately save a game from being thrown.

I mean I understand that there will probably be an argument blaming the person making the mistake for not checking carefully. But many mods will put a lot of time and effort into designing and crafting a game just for it to be thrown by a simple mistake that even the greatest players have made.

Anyways, it's just a thought. I think going forward I will eradicate the announcements pm and resort to using individualized message for the small cost of 5 minutes. I recommend future mods do this as well, though it is of course up to you.

No. Scum should just be careful to not post in the wrong PM, and everyone should respect the integrity of the announcement PM.

As a mod who spent a lot of time setting up my games, I'd like to think everyone took them as seriously as I did. But this just wasn't true in practice. It wasn't worth someone screwing up hours of game set-up and previous play with one mistake. Which is why I used individual notification PM's.

If you're willing to do that, then go for it. If I was modding, it would drive me crazy.
Tsar of DDO
TUF
Posts: 21,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 6:15:40 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
At 8/2/2014 11:55:36 AM, LogicalLunatic wrote:
TUF, I mean. I thought TUF had left or something.

Nope. Just here and there.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
SeventhProfessor
Posts: 5,080
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2014 6:46:53 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
I think an announcement thread that everyone favorites might be best.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...