Jump to topic:

DDO Lie-Based Game: Anybody interested?

Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2014 9:03:23 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
So my friend got me into this show "Would I Lie To You?" recently and I thought it would be really fun to make this into a game that I could moderate through a google hangout. There are a few segments in the game that I"ll explain. I thought that since so many people are interested in Mafia on this site, it would be easy to find people who"d be interested in doing it- and more importantly, be good at it.

How it works:

If you haven't seen the show, there are two teams with three members total on each. Each team has a team captain who will give final answers for the teams.

Segments:
Truth or Lie: Each person will give me a true story beforehand and when it is their turn, I will PM them either their story or an entirely fabricated story that they have to then roll with and convince the opposing team is true. The other team can ask the person questions to investigate and figure out whether it is true or false.

This person is.....: Each person will have emailed me a photo of a person they know beforehand with a story attached about how they know them (preferably in a really obscure, unlikely way), something they did together that was odd, etc. When the picture is shown, the person it belongs to will tell the true story. They would ideally try to make the other team think they"re lying. The others will have to make up a story on the spot and convince the other team that they are right in order to throw them off. If the made-up story is too normal then the outlandish true story will stand out. If the made-up story is too crazy then the outlandish true story might seem normal. The opposite team must figure out who is telling the truth and who is lying.

Truth or Lie Timed: This is just like the first segment but is timed. Only one person from each team will have to do this one. They will be chosen at random during the game.

At the end of the game, I might tell my own lie/truth in the event of a tie. I thought if it worked out and was actually funny and ran smoothly, then we could make future games set up so that others could watch as well. Maybe on twitch or something so other viewers could talk to each other as the show is happening live.

So what do peeps think? Any questions? Suggestions? Anybody interested?

I"ll need six people total.

If you"re really interested in playing and have no questions, you can send me two outlandish but true stories or facts about yourself that seem unbelievable, funny, improbable, convoluted, embarrassing, coincidental, etc. Also, send me a picture of a person who you have a strange, obscure story about or relationship with (ex: This is Mary. She and I once stole our neighbors pet hamster, shaved it, and put it back again without the neighbor ever finding out it was us.) The stranger the person looks according to the story, the better it is as well.

I'm excited to see if this works out because it seems like it would be a lot of fun. :D
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2014 9:09:49 PM
At 8/3/2014 9:08:20 PM, Bullish wrote:
How mandatory is the pic?

We could always work something out if people are really interested but don't want to share a pic of a person. I could probably think of something to replace that one with... like celebrity meetings or connections or something.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 8:08:25 AM
I'm interrested.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 10:59:16 AM
At 8/4/2014 8:08:25 AM, lannan13 wrote:
I'm interrested.

Cool. PM me two weird stories and also a picture of a person or the name of a celebrity or politician who you have a weird connection with, story about, etc.
:
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 1:27:18 PM
Damn spammers. Such sadness.
:
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 3:30:49 PM
So what's up with the lannan-only interest, ya'll?

Are people hesitant to share their own stories?

Can't think of any stories?

Not sure how it works?
:
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 5:48:32 PM
At 8/4/2014 3:30:49 PM, Oryus wrote:

Not sure how it works?

I'm interested, just don't have access to hangouts right now and no prospect of getting it in the future. So yeah.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 5:50:45 PM
At 8/4/2014 5:48:32 PM, Zaradi wrote:

Not sure how it works?

I'm interested, just don't have access to hangouts right now and no prospect of getting it in the future. So yeah.

awww.... well, that's a shame. Anyway, if people are ever interested, you could always help me come up with lies and suss out who will have to tell a lie and who will have to tell the truth if you think that'd be fun.
:
AngelofDeath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 5:54:35 PM
I'm interested too
I just dont have any weird stories to share
I've never really had anything happen to me
Not sure how it works?
Sounds like a lot of fun, but i'll be going back to school in a few days :(
I may or may not be a cat
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 6:00:57 PM
At 8/4/2014 5:54:35 PM, AngelofDeath wrote:
I'm interested too
That's kind of what I was thinking people might say. A lot are really young here. But I bet people have more weird things to share than they think. You'd be surprised what you can spin to make it seem weird than it really is too. Everybody has some eccentricity about them.

I'm down to help anyone come up with stuff in a PM too. I have plenty of questions to ask that could lead to something interesting. That's the point of my role :D

Not sure how it works?

hm- it'd take up less time than a mafia game. It'd just be like 2-3 hours on google hangout if I had to guess.

PM me if you change your mind ^_^
:
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 6:02:56 PM
At 8/4/2014 5:50:45 PM, Oryus wrote:

Not sure how it works?

awww.... well, that's a shame. Anyway, if people are ever interested, you could always help me come up with lies and suss out who will have to tell a lie and who will have to tell the truth if you think that'd be fun.

Sounds like fun. I'll PM you stuff I think up.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
AngelofDeath
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 6:04:28 PM
At 8/4/2014 6:00:57 PM, Oryus wrote:
I'm interested too
That's kind of what I was thinking people might say. A lot are really young here. But I bet people have more weird things to share than they think. You'd be surprised what you can spin to make it seem weird than it really is too. Everybody has some eccentricity about them.

I have asian parents, who force me to live under a rock. The most exciting things that've ever happened to me were when we were on vacations, and that's about it.

I'm down to help anyone come up with stuff in a PM too. I have plenty of questions to ask that could lead to something interesting. That's the point of my role :D

Not sure how it works?

hm- it'd take up less time than a mafia game. It'd just be like 2-3 hours on google hangout if I had to guess.
If it were on forums, i'd be more availible to play
Sure!
I may or may not be a cat
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 6:04:52 PM
At 8/4/2014 6:02:56 PM, Zaradi wrote:
At 8/4/2014 5:50:45 PM, Oryus wrote:

Not sure how it works?

Sounds like fun. I'll PM you stuff I think up.

Sweet. We'd have to calibrate them according to how out-there the players stories are too. So I'll let you know if/when I have some solid stories/anecdotes/strange facts/etc from people. :)
:
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/4/2014 6:14:11 PM
At 8/4/2014 6:04:28 PM, AngelofDeath wrote:
At 8/4/2014 6:00:57 PM, Oryus wrote:
I'm interested too

I have asian parents, who force me to live under a rock. The most exciting things that've ever happened to me were when we were on vacations, and that's about it.

SHHH! Save it for a PM XD

Sometimes mundane yet idiosyncratic things in one's home life might also be weird to others but normal to you. Think about that one a bit. ;) (but don't say it here! lol)

Not sure how it works?

If it were on forums, i'd be more availible to play
If enough people want to play but everyone is overwhelmingly not google-hangout-friendly, then I would do it on the forums. It's just that not playing in real-time takes away a large aspect of the game- physical and vocal cues and having to think things up on the spot. Making it seem like you're lying when you're really telling the truth also wouldn't be as funny or interesting on the forums. In real-time you can be more subtle but in text form it may come off as too blatant.
Sure!
:
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2014 1:29:01 PM
At 8/5/2014 3:35:35 AM, Cermank wrote:
Bumping because I want to see this happen

Meeee tooo!

All I need is six people to PM me with stories. Or to PM me if they want to play but can't think of stories. I can help with that. I have questions for people but I don't want to post them publicly as it would give too much info.
:
Cermank
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2014 1:35:13 PM
At 8/5/2014 1:29:01 PM, Oryus wrote:

Meeee tooo!

All I need is six people to PM me with stories. Or to PM me if they want to play but can't think of stories. I can help with that. I have questions for people but I don't want to post them publicly as it would give too much info.

I can't really do the hangout because my internet keeps logging out, but I can help with the stories if you need help.

I'm pretty sure this would catch on if this gets started, it sounds addicting.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2014 1:52:44 PM
At 8/5/2014 1:35:13 PM, Cermank wrote:
At 8/5/2014 1:29:01 PM, Oryus wrote:

Meeee tooo!

I can't really do the hangout because my internet keeps logging out, but I can help with the stories if you need help.

I'm pretty sure this would catch on if this gets started, it sounds addicting.

I knoooowwww! We just need one recording of the first one and everyone will see how fun it'll be :D

If people can play mafia so well, they can definitely play this game. It's simpler but funnier.
:
Malacoda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2014 5:29:45 PM
I'm really interested in this actually. Especially after watching that episode. It sounds like it could be pretty awesome.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2014 11:10:08 PM
Anyone interested should send me a PM so I can ask some questions to get some stories or facts from you. Two or three is enough.

But I have to have them because, as the moderator, I dole them out during the game. You won't know whether it will be your own story or a made-up story. Zaradi and I will orchestrate some fake ones and sprinkle them in the game and you'll have to read aloud what we give you when it's your turn- true or not. :)

As soon as I get six people, we can plan a day to do it.
:
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2014 6:33:14 AM
That's a very funny show. I'll play. Never liked that middle guy on the right bench either, I'm kinda in my own personal competition with him at this game (I'm winning).
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2014 11:12:06 AM
Mikal is a team captain. I need one more. The team captain takes their teammates opinions into account but has the power to make the final decision on whether an opposing player is lying or telling the truth. The team captain would also have the task of asking the opponents questions to discern lies if their teammates can't think of any. So they kind of keep the game going if the other players are at a loss.

Zaradi is my co-mod and may or may not be present in the game itself.

So far the definite players are:

1. AnDoctuir
2. Mikal

Stand-by:

Players have to have at least audio on google-hangouts. It'd be best with video, however.
:
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2014 12:06:05 PM
At 9/6/2014 3:04:13 AM, TUF wrote:
Never saw this thread. I would play.

Do you want to be the other team captain?
:
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2014 4:31:25 PM
At 9/9/2014 12:06:05 PM, Oryus wrote:

Sure
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2014 5:09:00 PM
At 9/9/2014 4:31:25 PM, TUF wrote:
At 9/9/2014 12:06:05 PM, Oryus wrote:

Sure

Sweet. PM me with some stories. 2 or 3. I'll help out.
: