Jump to topic:

Mafia switching roles

Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 4:16:22 PM
Posted: 2 years ago
Do you think that before the start of the game, the mafia should decide amongst themselves who gets what role?
My work here is, finally, done.
Lucky_Luciano
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 4:19:27 PM
I think that it is interesting, but part of mafia is adapting to the situation. I've been in games where the mafia could choose who the godfather was, and it was chosen to be me everything. It allowed me to play the way I wanted rather than in a way necessitated by the circumstances of the game, and I think that explicit requirement of adaptation is important for the game, rather than allowing players to make themselves comfortable.
"Age is not important" - Airmax 2014
"Australia... is that a place?" - Airmax 2014
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 4:32:25 PM
At 8/30/2014 4:19:27 PM, Lucky_Luciano wrote:
I think that it is interesting, but part of mafia is adapting to the situation. I've been in games where the mafia could choose who the godfather was, and it was chosen to be me everything. It allowed me to play the way I wanted rather than in a way necessitated by the circumstances of the game, and I think that explicit requirement of adaptation is important for the game, rather than allowing players to make themselves comfortable.

True.
But, on the other hand, you have bad players with good roles that die right away, or worse, don't even submit actions due to inactivity.

Ideally, if every player was active, it wouldn't be an issue, but that's not the case I've come to know.
For example, in Harry Potter, XLAV (who is generally unhelpful as mafia) was a back-up for us. The ideal way to use this role would be to let someone else do the tampering and killing and ultimately get caught, while he sits back and assumes the new role.

This might have happened, but he died NP1.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 4:58:51 PM
At 8/30/2014 4:16:22 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
Do you think that before the start of the game, the mafia should decide amongst themselves who gets what role?

No. They already have too many pre-built advantages - factional kill, a private PM, the ability to actively collaborate on roles, knowing who the other members of their faction are, and possibly roles that let them convert other players to mafia. Letting them give the best role to the best player takes the fun out of it.
Khaos_Mage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 5:03:20 PM
At 8/30/2014 4:58:51 PM, TN05 wrote:

No. They already have too many pre-built advantages - factional kill, a private PM, the ability to actively collaborate on roles, knowing who the other members of their faction are, and possibly roles that let them convert other players to mafia. Letting them give the best role to the best player takes the fun out of it.

That's not necessarily what would happen.
I seem to be investigated NP1 very often, so I am automatically a liability for my team if I have a nice role like bus driver. However, if I were godfather, I wouldn't be.
TN05
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2014 5:07:11 PM
At 8/30/2014 5:03:20 PM, Khaos_Mage wrote:
At 8/30/2014 4:58:51 PM, TN05 wrote:

That's not necessarily what would happen.
I seem to be investigated NP1 very often, so I am automatically a liability for my team if I have a nice role like bus driver. However, if I were godfather, I wouldn't be.

That's just how the dice rolls. Some players that are very, very good playing as mafia are lynched as town pretty much immediately based on how good they are as mafia. Should these people be allowed to be lynchproof? It sucks, but in a game based almost entirely on information, people are going to go with what they know.

As far as role choice, about as far as I'd go is offering individual players (randomly chosen) a few roles to choose from. I did this in my Chuck mafia game where I let a certain player choose DP1 whether to be a dayvig, PGO, or hunter, but I didn't know which player would get that role or what they would choose.